Bobbo is offline Junior Member

Carbs at Night???

Hey everybody,

I've read that you should not have carbs after 5 pm. I've been trying to stick to chicken & turkey. I get hungry later. Will it hurt if I eat broccoli w/cheese or steamed onions and red peppers? They seem to keep from becoming hungry in the middle of the night.

Thanx,

Bobbo

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    The broccoli will be fine, it is mostly fiber. I would leave out the cheese unless you are on some type of Keto diet. The onions and peppers are ok too. Also at night I try to get some dairy carbs, even though they are sugar they don't spike insulin that much.

Pain.

Hey Pain,

When you say dairy carbs would that include non-fat, low sugar yougurt?

Thanx,

Bobbo

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Not exactly addressing uoir point but still useful information:

Products that say low fat, are usually not too good for you. In many cases the fat is replaced with various forms of sugar. As a general rule, most people would be better off with the fat than they would be with the sugar. Ideally, one is best to be low in both.

Beenie,

Thanx. I've noticed that. I used to worry about the fat but was told to stay away from saturated fat. You have to have some of everything, Carbs, Fat, and Protein. My main thing is to stay away from man made suger. It gives me a quick high then I'm tired as heck! I eat fruit and cottage cheese for lunch every day. The fruit has natural sugar and the cottage cheese has the protein.

Bobbo

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Like pain said, stick with the veggies, also a protein shake before bed will help with the middle of the night hunger.

Rich8888 is offline Member
    Bobbo...it all depends on your goals. If you are looking to build lean muscle and lean out...than no carbs after 5....

IMO not even broccoli or other veggies. I would also cut out the fruit and cottage cheese. Instead of the cottage cheese add a serving of lean meat..better quality protein W/O the negitive effects of dairy in your system...

Sugar is sugar....no matter if it is refined white sugar or sugar from an apple.., it all metbolizes in ur system as fat....
    In the evening and at night, have some grilled chicken pre-cooked and munch on that if you get the munchies. Again, if you are looking to lean out, have a no carb or very low carb shake before bed...mixed with water, not milk due to the sugar content of milk.

If you are looking to add mass then veggies at night r OK. Also a carbed up shake like Myoplex Deluxe mixed with water and some rice milk will fill you up before bed.

In either case lay off of simple sugars and snack food carbs.

Rich,

You said NO fruit? Not even in the middle of the day. I was just wondering, they say "An apple a day keeps the Dr. away."

Do you mean not to have fruit or cottage cheese after 5 pm or not at all. I eat it for lunch.

As of right now my 6 pack is showing but not buldging, 29" waiste. If I continue with the fruit and cottage cheese for lunch but only eat chicken after 5pm, will my abs start to buldge?

Now I eat at 6:30pm and again at 9:00pm.

I'm in bed around 10:30 pm. When/what is the last time/thing I should eat and how much if chicken? If up in the middle of night, and hungry, should I eat 2oz chicken?

Thanx,

Bobbo

Originally posted by Bobbo
    Rich,

You said NO fruit? Not even in the middle of the day. I was just wondering, they say "An apple a day keeps the Dr. away."

Do you mean not to have fruit or cottage cheese after 5 pm or not at all. I eat it for lunch.

As of right now my 6 pack is showing but not buldging, 29" waiste. If I continue with the fruit and cottage cheese for lunch but only eat chicken after 5pm, will my abs start to buldge?

Now I eat at 6:30pm and again at 9:00pm.

I'm in bed around 10:30 pm. When/what is the last time/thing I should eat and how much if chicken? If up in the middle of night, and hungry, should I eat 2oz chicken?

Thanx,

Bobbo
    He is right that sugar is sugar. Sugar is the same as carb. If you already have a washboard snd want your abs to buldge it may be your fat level is still too high but it may also be that you need to do more ab work in the gym. Ask your trainer.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Personally I worry more about the effect the carbs have on my insulin , to me that is the killer. And not all sugars are created equal in that department. And yes to get something low fat they usually add usless sugars, not the good ones either. Just try to stay away from Sat fat. That is the real killer.

If you want to do some good reading on this The Zone by sears ( I think that is who wrote it) has some good info on the effects of diet on insulin and whatnot.

Pain

Bobbo....yes I meant to cut out the apple and cottage cheese and replace the cottage cheese with a higher quality protein such as 8 oz. of lean meat.

Theoretically, an apple or some strawberries once per day isn't all that bad. They will provide some fiber and if you have to have a sweet snack they are better than others. Fruit, such as berries and cantelope howeverr are also high in vitamin C and high in antoxidants, which is also benficial.

The last thing to eat..again is predicated upon ur goals...If looking to lean out...than have a high protein no carb shake mixed with water....If looking to add some mass that have a shake with 20-25g of carbs and hign protein mixed with some milk and water....Do this right before bed.

If you wake up hungry...yeah a couple of bits of chicken is OK. However if you are still hungry in the middle of the night..you would beneifit by eating more throughpout the day. Sounds like you need another meal and increase the portions of your servings to at least 8 oz.of lean protein.

Rich,

Maybe I'll have 8oz. chicken at 9 pm, in bed at 10:30. Sound good?

Forgot to ask, what about peanuts or cashews?

Thanx again,

Bobbo

Bobbo...have a shake before bed...Eat more food during the day:
    Stay away from a full meal right before bed.

7 am breakfast
    10 am meal
    1 pm meal
    4 pm meal
    6pm meal
    bedtime shake
    midnight munchies..shake or small lean meat portion

No nuts!!!! too much fat....If you need to snack...get a quality high protein bar low carb bar, like REAL protein, i think is low carb....but there are others as well. find on that is high protein, low carb and low sugar

Pumped109 is offline Associate Member
    Well the yogurt I eat is Dannon and its fat free but your right it has 16 grams in only a one cup serving. I always thought its was cool because it is fat free but the sugar content sucks.

xenithon is offline Member
    IMHO I think a handful of nuts are MUCH better than a low carb bar - especially at night - I would much rather have nut protein, little carbs, fiber and very healthy fats over some artificial glycerine bar.

Generally speaking a handful of nuts is not unhealthy. However, since you are concerned about the amount of excess aroound ur middle, IMO stay clear of adding fat to ur diet. Whether the fat you consume is 'good' fat, saturated or trans fat it is still fat. Unless you are tracking the fat calories that you consume, it is best to stay away from fat especially in the evening when your metabolism slows down.

For me a handful of nuts isn't enough to satisfy my hunger pange. If I eat enopugh nuts to satify my nunchies than I know...for me...I have consumed way too much fat as a result.

There are some good quality protein bars on the market, that really do make an occasional snack satisfying and fairly nutritional.

Smile

A lot of the time you can satisfy night time hunger by drinking a lot of water. Of couse this leads to abother obvious problem that I shall assume I do not have to spell out.

If you put six ice cubes and two scoops of protien powder in a blender along with half a cup of water it makes a nice beverage that is very tastee and quite filling. The protien will help you build muscle too.

Thread Information