Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ramacher is offline Member
    Blog Entries

Midnight snack???

I know when you are asleep, you are basically fasting for 8-10 hours. My question is why having a protein shake (24 grams protein per pack) with one cup of raw milk (9 grams of protein (fat skimmed) per cup) be alright to fight catabolism? Someone else told me if you drank a protein shake then went right to bed your pretty much storing that as fat so I have conflicting sides here...

Thanks,

sprinter911 is offline Associate Member
    I drink a casein protein shake with milk and cottage cheese every night right before bed. I don't like to get up in the middle of the night to eat. I love a solid 8 hrs but don't get that during the work week.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramacher View Post
    I know when you are asleep, you are basically fasting for 8-10 hours. My question is why having a protein shake (24 grams protein per pack) with one cup of raw milk (9 grams of protein (fat skimmed) per cup) be alright to fight catabolism? Someone else told me if you drank a protein shake then went right to bed your pretty much storing that as fat so I have conflicting sides here...

Thanks,
    Whoever told you that is an idiot. The only hormone is the human body that stores fat is Insulin and only carbohydrates have an effect on Insulin levels. As long as you're not eating carbs before bed, it only comes down to calories in vs. out with regard to fat storage. Any successful bodybuilder is eating something as their head hits the pillow.

Now that we're looking at the right side of the coin; let's talk food choices. Whey shake as pre-bed meal? No. We want something slow that will fight catabolism for hours, not minutes. Casein shake? Yes, perfect. This is a specific type of protein powder designed to digest very, very slowly and is used in such scenarios by many of us. Cottage cheese? Another option but a tad higher in sugar and carbs and much higher in sodium. Of course, it's less processed. A lean steak? Another option. Red meat has a very slow absorption rate as compared to other animal proteins.

One last thing to further optimize this meal. Fats. Poly/Monounsaturated fats can greatly slow digestion of protein and increase protein synthesis. Add 15-20g in the form of nuts, oil, avocado, etc. A very tasty option for shakes such as casein powder is natural peanut butter. This also forms a complete protein for the peanuts.

Now venture on and fight catabolism well young soldier!

the big 1 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    Whoever told you that is an idiot. The only hormone is the human body that stores fat is Insulin and only carbohydrates have an effect on Insulin levels. As long as you're not eating carbs before bed, it only comes down to calories in vs. out with regard to fat storage. Any successful bodybuilder is eating something as their head hits the pillow.

Now that we're looking at the right side of the coin; let's talk food choices. Whey shake as pre-bed meal? No. We want something slow that will fight catabolism for hours, not minutes. Casein shake? Yes, perfect. This is a specific type of protein powder designed to digest very, very slowly and is used in such scenarios by many of us. Cottage cheese? Another option but a tad higher in sugar and carbs and much higher in sodium. Of course, it's less processed. A lean steak? Another option. Red meat has a very slow absorption rate as compared to other animal proteins.

One last thing to further optimize this meal. Fats. Poly/Monounsaturated fats can greatly slow digestion of protein and increase protein synthesis. Add 15-20g in the form of nuts, oil, avocado, etc. A very tasty option for shakes such as casein powder is natural peanut butter. This also forms a complete protein for the peanuts.

Now venture on and fight catabolism well young soldier!
    agreed...also, the additition of 5g GLUTAMINE before bed with your shake will raise growth hormone output during sleep...

dangerous dan is offline Anabolic Member
    Always aim for proper food, red meat is a good sorce before bed. as stated above casein shake, not whey. I personaly just go for low fat cottage cheese, could do with some casein..

ramacher is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    what about actually getting up in the middle of the night after you been asleep for a couple hours. Ex. Go to bed at 12 and get up at 4 and drink a shake then go back to bed for 4 more hours?

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramacher View Post
    what about actually getting up in the middle of the night after you been asleep for a couple hours. Ex. Go to bed at 12 and get up at 4 and drink a shake then go back to bed for 4 more hours?
    Terrible idea. You disrupt the release of growth hormone when you interrupt sleep. If you happen to wake up to pee, slamming a shake is a good idea but otherwise, no.

Cousinbutch is offline Associate Member
    I wake up at least three times every night to go pee (sleeps no reason to become dehydrated imo) and I used to drink a scoop of whey (yeah, casein at night, I know) every time I walked past the fridge. I still ate cottage cheese before bed, but I figured it couldn't hurt. It ended up that I was way too hungry in the mornings to do cardio because I was still in high gear from eating so many times in the night. Try it out and see what happens.

Dan111 is offline Associate Member
    I'm the same way, I always wake up at least twice throughout the night to take a piss, so before I go to sleep I have some casein and one of the times I wake up in the night I have some more
    Last edited by Dan111; 07-30-2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added something

Thread Information