tcw
    tcw is offline Senior Member

Carbs and Energy ? ? ?

Just sat with a friend of mine who lost over 60lbs of fat in 6mths by ELIMINATING Carbohydrates (potatoes, bread, rice, all starches) from his diet. He ate all forms of meat...and vegs...but no potatoes, bread, rice or starches....just protein and fat (of course there is some carbs in the vegs...but not much).

..and get this...he did it without EXERCISE!

He's a computer geek and by no means a BB or fitness buff...but he's smart as shit and an all around good guy.

He says it was carbohydrate addiction that keep him fat...now he's slimmed down to 160 at 5.5". He's now at the gym and picking up weights just prior to turning 40yrs old.

QUESTION
    "How long do carbohydrates AVAILABLE to provide energy for a workout (or whatever). Ex. If i eat a Banana, how long is that available for energy before its stored as Fat?

your constructive input is greatly appreciated...

~T
    Last edited by tcw; 08-14-2010 at 03:19 PM.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Your friend was most likely doing many things wrong and by changing his diet he cleared up his issues. Some people can stop drinking soda and lose weight fast, others see no change.

As for your carbohydrate question there are too many variables. Every person is different and everyone goes through energy stores differently. If you worked out that day or had low glycogen stores that banana may not go to fat stores at all.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Your friend was most likely doing many things wrong and by changing his diet he cleared up his issues. Some people can stop drinking soda and lose weight fast, others see no change.
    A voice of reason right off the bat. I love it.
    Some people have good metabolisms but they simply eat like, well, Americans. Just by becoming slightly conscientious of their diet; they can drop a ton of weight. I can promise, had your friend worked out and followed a diet reminiscent of the ones you see here, his results would have been even better. Way better.

Bottom line on your question. Carbs you burn for energy will never be stored as fat. Eat good carbs and don't eat them when you're just sitting around or prior to bed.

tcw
    ^^

Good...now the begs the question(s)

-"What are Good Carbs?"

-"When do Carbs become stored as Fat?"

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by tcw View Post
    ^^

Good...now the begs the question(s)

-"What are Good Carbs?"

-"When do Carbs become stored as Fat?"
    Good carbs are typically complex carbs that are relatively low GI. Brown Rice, Sweet Potato, Yam, Oats, Lentils, Beans, just about any leafy and/or green veggie, quinoa, etc.

Fruits are simple carbs basically but are worth a mention since I feel they have a place in the diet - mainly first thing in the am and/or PWO. If you put on bodyfat very easily, you might consider avoiding fruit all together.

Carbs are stored as fat when a) you're body doesn't need to use them as an energy source, and b) when glycogen stores are full.

Keep in mind this can be drastically altered when consuming carbs and fats in the same meal. Both are energy sources, but the body prefers carbs and that essentially leaves the fat behind to be stored as - fat. That's why I like keeping my carb and fat meals separate, with carb meals based around the more active part of my day.

NVR2BIG1 is offline Banned
    This is the typical approach of the general American population who does not like to exercise. All he did by lowering his carbs was create a calorie deficit, and because he was so overweight he probably wasnt hungry since his body was burning through stored fat for energy and had plenty of it available. Take your average person and do this, they would starve to death on this for 6 months straight

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NVR2BIG1 View Post
    This is the typical approach of the general American population who does not like to exercise. All he did by lowering his carbs was create a calorie deficit, and because he was so overweight he probably wasnt hungry since his body was burning through stored fat for energy and had plenty of it available. Take your average person and do this, they would starve to death on this for 6 months straight
    Very true. Think about the average non BBer's diet. It's mostly carbs. Take them out and you're running a deficit of like 1200 cals daily, 800 minimum even if protein is upped. Of course, fat is out of the question, as the general idiot assumes it's the devil.

tcw
    Thank you Brice...appreciate the advice.

Keep the carbs and Fats Separate!

~T

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Good carbs are typically complex carbs that are relatively low GI. Brown Rice, Sweet Potato, Yam, Oats, Lentils, Beans, just about any leafy and/or green veggie, quinoa, etc.

Fruits are simple carbs basically but are worth a mention since I feel they have a place in the diet - mainly first thing in the am and/or PWO. If you put on bodyfat very easily, you might consider avoiding fruit all together.

Carbs are stored as fat when a) you're body doesn't need to use them as an energy source, and b) when glycogen stores are full.

Keep in mind this can be drastically altered when consuming carbs and fats in the same meal. Both are energy sources, but the body prefers carbs and that essentially leaves the fat behind to be stored as - fat. That's why I like keeping my carb and fat meals separate, with carb meals based around the more active part of my day.

Thread Information