richtries is offline Associate Member

Carb loading on KETO . . . no fructose )-;

Ok, I didn't fully read the notes on carb loading and came home from the supermarket with a wholesome selection of fruits which I was going to consume in my liquid carb/protein shakes, only to find out NO FRUCTOSE. Am a little gutted, also since I drank one already with 200g of blueberries I know my glycogen is going to take longer to deplete.

And I keep reading different versions of the carb loading phase, contradictions in terms of how many total carbs per kg body weight, length of duration etc. Just wanted to hear what some of you guys are doing. I was going to do my full body workout sat afternoon then hit 3 or 4 meals of liquid carb/protein shakes something like 80g dextrose plus 2 scoops whey. Then Sunday just eat my 6 meals as per normal just substitute the fats with complex carbs brown bread, sweet potato etc. Just a bit tedious having a whole evening (sat evening in my case) with no real foods or veg or anything?? Just supplements!!??

Thanks for any input.

tcw
    tcw is offline Senior Member
    ehh...i don't know guy...the idea of doing "synthetic" food in substitute for real food does not go down well with me (and a lot of other learner ed ppl too). Once in awhile...ok...but i'm one who believes in eating natural food. i guess you can give it a try and see how you feel...but i'm not sure the body digest all those ingredients that are in supplements.

Eggs are the best form of protein to eat after a wo. Down about 6 of those with some cheese after a wo.

Football_Bill is offline Associate Member
    No fruit, goes right to your liver.

65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

www.keto.org
    www.hannenhealth.com/keto.htm

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Football_Bill View Post
    No fruit, goes right to your liver.

65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

www.keto.org
    www.hannenhealth.com/keto.htm
    Such a severe fat/pro ratio is not needed for all ketogenic diets. Ketosis can be achieved at a 50/50 ratio - it's simply harder to come out and easier to get in with more fat.

But yeah, no fructose. Fruit is healthy and low cal but will simply refill liver glycogen which isn't burned in the same way. It won't kill you and remember, you don't need ketosis to lose body fat rapidly - when carbs are lowered to this extreme, your body will inevitably burn fat. So, eat your fruit this time and next time around, just stick to complex carbs and some berries. Berries have minimal effect on blood sugar, high fiber, lots of antioxidants, and have minimal sugar. Blueberries have more fructose sugar than others but you can eat more of raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries which have almost done. In fact, you can eat a couple strawberries now and then on keto days if you want though it's not encouraged.

So a handful of either raspberries/strawberries/blackberries should be ok in my post workout shakes on my carb up day? Cool. Just nearly completed my first carb up, here is what today looked like;

Meal 1
    Two slices brown bread, 210g baked beans, 4 egg whites

Meal 2
    210g low fat rice pudding, 1 scp whey

Meal 3/4/5
    7 Tortilla's, 500g chicken, 2 peppers, 1 onion, fajitas spice mix

Meal 6
    1 scp whey, 2 scp maltodextrin, three tbsp low fat yoghurt

TOTAL (so far, still have one meal left)
    2'799 Kcal, Pro 215, Fat 60, Carb 347

The fajitas was a bit of a treat really, will stick to more complex carbs in future I think and get that fat down as well. Including post workout drinks last night and evening meal my total carbs comes to around 600 with a meal to go. I was aiming at 10 grs per lean (kg) body weight, so 70kg yields 700 grs. Am I on the right track with this buddy?

Also I worked out my TDEE . . . came out to 3225cals, used here to calculate;
    http://www.free-workout-routines.net/tdee.html

I forgot how noticeable the insulin spike was consuming high carb meals pwo, blimey I could of kept eating all night, couldn't sleep I was so hungry!

Nice looking carb load compared to most I see but I'd consider just doing one large cheat meal or even a 4-6 hour snacking period that doesn't go above 300g carbs for optimal fat loss and keto transitions.

Ok cool. I might just have my malto/whey shakes after full body workout end of week then my cheat meal then just return to keto the next day. Food for thought, thanks for all help buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by richtries View Post
    Ok cool. I might just have my malto/whey shakes after full body workout end of week then my cheat meal then just return to keto the next day. Food for thought, thanks for all help buddy.
    That sounds like an excellent plan of attack.

NP man. Good luck.

Thread Information