TTFU is offline Junior Member

Enough bedtime protein?

Every night, before bed, like most, I drink a casein protein shake.

I keep it simple since I get all my calories during the day.

Protein powder + water = 120 calories (25g protein)

---

Slow-release or not, 25g protein doesn't seem like quit enough for 7-10 hours.

Is it? Should I be drinking more protein before bed? If so, how much?

noMuscles is offline Junior Member
    I would recommend a scoop of natty PB with this. It was recommended to me over at the diet forums.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noMuscles View Post
    I would recommend a scoop of natty PB with this. It was recommended to me over at the diet forums.
    Yeah, I second this. If all you need is 25g to fit your macros/daily needs then don't worry about using more man. It's quality over quantity bro.

Okay. Another question about protein.

I have been looking for it everywhere with no luck.

I know the release time for casein is about 7-8, but does anyone know how long the release time for things like tuna and chicken are?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by TTFU View Post
    Okay. Another question about protein.

I have been looking for it everywhere with no luck.

I know the release time for casein is about 7-8, but does anyone know how long the release time for things like tuna and chicken are?
    X2 on the peanut butter. 1tbsp should be sufficient.

Chicken and tuna are both roughly 3 hours or so I believe. Even if my figure is off, i know for fact neither will be enough to sustain you overnight. Lean steak be your best choice (almost 24 hours for that one), whole milk cottage cheese is also a casein protein and a fine choice (don't add PB if you go with cottage cheese, already has the fat built in).

Personally I do the casein shake as it's easy, and tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    X2 on the peanut butter. 1tbsp should be sufficient.

Chicken and tuna are both roughly 3 hours or so I believe. Even if my figure is off, i know for fact neither will be enough to sustain you overnight. Lean steak be your best choice (almost 24 hours for that one), whole milk cottage cheese is also a casein protein and a fine choice (don't add PB if you go with cottage cheese, already has the fat built in).

Personally I do the casein shake as it's easy, and tasty!
    Yeah, I didn't plan on using tuna or chicken before bedtime. I usually drink a casein shake, as you said, it is easy and quick.

Sometimes I will have low-fat cottage cheese.

24 hours for lean steak? I am going to start eating waaaaayyy more steak!

24 hours for lean steak? I am going to start eating waaaaayyy more steak!
    Yea, beef is a really slow digester. Steak is good but make sure you're getting your protein from multiple sources throughout the day so as to get a broad spectum of amino acids.

King Antichrist is offline New Member
    I personally heard that even cottage cheese before bed won't last during your 7-8 hours of sleep per night... Which is why the first meal of the day is so important for us, Bodybuilders. I even heard that some pros wake up during night to have a protein shake...!

I am not sure about how fast eggs whites are absorbed by our body but i bet it's a good thing to be ate when you wake up since almost everybody does it. Maybe a protein shake would absorb quicker when you wake-up (to counter catabolism) but then again, i prefer real food over shakes. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by King Antichrist View Post
    I personally heard that even cottage cheese before bed won't last during your 7-8 hours of sleep per night... Which is why the first meal of the day is so important for us, Bodybuilders. I even heard that some pros wake up during night to have a protein shake...! I doubt casein lasts 7-8 hours either but if it buys you more than most lean protein, well, it's a good choice! IF I wake up at night, I have a shake, yes. However, you shouldn't wake up TO have a shake. Uninterrupted sleep is the ultimate gainer.

I am not sure about how fast eggs whites are absorbed by our body but i bet it's a good thing to be ate when you wake up since almost everybody does it. Maybe a protein shake would absorb quicker when you wake-up (to counter catabolism) but then again, i prefer real food over shakes. What do you guys think? Eggs are fast, yes. In fact, I think they are fast enough but if you take a while to get out of bed and get the pan hot - maybe a quick shake during that period is best.
    Bold.

I am not sure about how fast eggs whites are absorbed by our body but i bet it's a good thing to be ate when you wake up since almost everybody does it. Maybe a protein shake would absorb quicker when you wake-up (to counter catabolism) but then again, i prefer real food over shakes. What do you guys think?
    I do eggs and a shake upon waking.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Protein is good to have but if you are lean or sub 13 I would never neglect the carbs. Don't worry so much about how much protein you are getting in as long as it is within macros and a complete protein. I don't believe at all that anything lasts 7 hours, nevermind 24 hours for steak. Steak is my favorite thing to eat by far, and #1 for before bed, but I still don't think it will last all night.

PS> Does anyone have a study that says lean beef lasts 24 hours? I have seen it recommended many times quoting this but never seen is myself. Probably even said it myself at one point or another!

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    Bold.
    Lol you and your "Bold." JK Just kidding, i have been reading this section for a while and you have helped quite a lot of ppls, always in Bold tho. Lol But yeah, you are right! 8hours straight of sleep is the ultimate gainer... A shame i always wake up in the middle for no apparent reasons... Oh and personally, i wake up and do my eggs whites in the next 5-10mins. I spray some non-adhesive stuff in a bowl, add 8 eggs whites and straight to the microwave it goes. Can't be quicker than that!

I had never heard of eating steak before bed tho! But yeah, i haven't had the chance to bulk just yet. Still trying to get sub 10%BF!

I personally heard that even cottage cheese before bed won't last during your 7-8 hours of sleep per night... Which is why the first meal of the day is so important for us, Bodybuilders. I even heard that some pros wake up during night to have a protein shake...!

Yep. I will have a whey protein shake with my breakfast every morning.

On my last cycle I tried waking up in the middle of the night for a 50/50 casein/whey shake, but it took too long to go back to sleep, and like said, un-interrupted sleep is important.

Yep. I will have a whey protein shake with my breakfast every morning.

On my last cycle I tried waking up in the middle of the night for a 50/50 casein/whey shake, but it took too long to go back to sleep, and like said, un-interrupted sleep is important.
    Well, i might look into that soon. Adding a protein shake upon rising. BTW: What protein are we talking about here? I use IsoFLEX Chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Protein is good to have but if you are lean or sub 13 I would never neglect the carbs. Don't worry so much about how much protein you are getting in as long as it is within macros and a complete protein. I don't believe at all that anything lasts 7 hours, nevermind 24 hours for steak. Steak is my favorite thing to eat by far, and #1 for before bed, but I still don't think it will last all night.

PS> Does anyone have a study that says lean beef lasts 24 hours? I have seen it recommended many times quoting this but never seen is myself. Probably even said it myself at one point or another!
    I can't say for fact that it's 24 hours, i'm sure that's debatable. However I know it's among the slowest digesting proteins available naturally.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    I can't say for fact that it's 24 hours, i'm sure that's debatable. However I know it's among the slowest digesting proteins available naturally.
    That we know, however you only get about 70% of the protein from beef. I believe red meat and fish are the ultimate protein sources. Before bed I would have either and be fine. Red meat will take longer to digest but like I said its mostly the fat and carbs that provide satiety at night. I think we place too much emphasis on protein and personally think protein should constitute 30-40% of a diet dipping into the 20s for part of the year. Unless on tren or something then I don't think protein needs are above 40% in a diet. This however is all speaking of complete proteins with correct food combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    I don't think protein needs are above 40% in a diet.
    x2 on this... I see people with 500g protein in their diet and just don't get why they'd want to stress their liver and not make any difference to their build. Your body can only process so much protein at once, the rest is a waste.

It really depends on the individual. I know some people who just can't grow unless they eat tons of meat/fish despite having stupidly high carb intake.

I do agree though for most bodies, an emphasis on stupid high protein is sabotage. I definitely saw better gains when I reduced it and ate more carbs.

The caveat IMO is when it comes to people who NEED a huge caloric intake. Let's take a guy who eats 5500 calories a day, that's 500 above his maintenance. If he were doing a 40/40/20, he'd be eating 550g of protein/day. Most people looking at that right off the bat would say protein is excessive - yet when you look further, it's only 40% of his diet. Even if he were to eat 30%, that's roughly 415g which most people would also consider excessive, knowing nothing else about the diet.

So, IMO there is more gray area as you get in caloric needs of above 3500 or so.

... Your body can only process so much protein at once, the rest is a waste.
    Is there a study on this somewhere?

I have heard that your body can only process as low as 40-45g protein at a time and I have heard as high as 70-75g protein at a time..

Thread Information