FiremanJake is offline New Member

Fireman looking for some help...

Hey Guys Im looking to do my first "official" diet. Im Currently 25 Yrs old, 5"8 175. Around 14% bf. Ive been training for 7 years, 4 of which were competitive power lifting. Ive been doing a lot of research here and have learned a lot. Im trying to lose weight without losing much muscle (obviously). So heres a sample of my diet. Feel free to criticize and make suggestions. As for supplements, I just take whey, glutamine, and fish oils. I know I can use more, just not 100% as to what and when.

Breakfast- 2 whole eggs scrambled, nothing added to them. 1/2 cup oatmeal w/ splenda.

Snack- Usually a shake or protein bar.

Lunch- Chx breast/ Cup of brown rice

Snack- Varies as to what I have. Could be a Turkey sandwich on whole wheat. Shake or protein bar. Fruit. Something to hold me till dinner.

Dinner- Lean meat or Chx w/ Veggies (usually Brocc)

Snack- Small Casein shake

I dont train when im on shift. On my days off Ill train either in the early morning or late evening. I do weights for an hour or so w/ 30 min LIT cardio.
    I know ive read on here that I shouldnt do cardio after my weights, but I dont have too many other options. Some days I can go to the gym twice a day, some days I cant.
    After my weight sessions I will come home and have a whey shake. Recently Ive read it should be a 2:1 ratio carbs/protein. (50% dextrose/ 50% maltodextrin) My question is where do I get the dextrose?
    Should I get it from food or does it come in a container like the protein. (Hope thats not too stupid of a question).

I hope this post isnt too long nor pointless. I know I have a new name on the boards here but Ive been around for a while, just never signed up.
    Also Im an experienced lifter with several competitions under my belt, not a punk kid not willing to learn. Please shoot some critiques my way. Thanks guys.
    Included are 2 pics.

-FiremanJake
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fireman looking for some help...-imag0069.1.jpg   Fireman looking for some help...-imag0071.1.jpg  

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by FiremanJake View Post
    Hey Guys Im looking to do my first "official" diet. Im Currently 25 Yrs old, 5"8 175. Around 14% bf. Ive been training for 7 years, 4 of which were competitive power lifting. Ive been doing a lot of research here and have learned a lot. Im trying to lose weight without losing much muscle (obviously). So heres a sample of my diet. Feel free to criticize and make suggestions. As for supplements, I just take whey, glutamine, and fish oils. I know I can use more, just not 100% as to what and when.

Breakfast- 2 whole eggs scrambled, nothing added to them. 1/2 cup oatmeal w/ splenda.

Add 4-6 egg whites, consider adding a shake here for quick am protein

Need to see time of day for each meal. Shake or protein bar is not gonna get you far. Drop this and make it a real meal, this is now meal 2. Lean protein, 4-6oz and complex carb, about 40g

Good, add 1-2 cups green veggies

Snack- Varies as to what I have. Could be a Turkey sandwich on whole wheat. Shake or protein bar. Fruit. Something to hold me till dinner.

None of the above are great choices for a BBing diet. Replace with lean protein + complex carb

Good. Use some olive oil over your broccoli

Add a tbsp of natural PB, or a serving of your favorite natural nuts

I dont train when im on shift. On my days off Ill train either in the early morning or late evening. I do weights for an hour or so w/ 30 min LIT cardio.
    I know ive read on here that I shouldnt do cardio after my weights, but I dont have too many other options. Some days I can go to the gym twice a day, some days I cant.
    After my weight sessions I will come home and have a whey shake. Recently Ive read it should be a 2:1 ratio carbs/protein. (50% dextrose/ 50% maltodextrin) My question is where do I get the dextrose?

I'm not into the sugar PWO idea, especially when cutting which you should because bodyfat is relatively high (it's not 14%, sorry). Instead, do 1/2 cup of oats

Should I get it from food or does it come in a container like the protein. (Hope thats not too stupid of a question).

I hope this post isnt too long nor pointless. I know I have a new name on the boards here but Ive been around for a while, just never signed up.
    Also Im an experienced lifter with several competitions under my belt, not a punk kid not willing to learn. Please shoot some critiques my way. Thanks guys.
    Included are 2 pics.

-FiremanJake
    Before we can really delve into it, you need to figure out your TDEE. Unless somebody else gets to it first, i'll post up the formulas when I get home from work tonight. You'll need to calculate that and then base your diet around the number you come up with, then repost the diet containing all macro info.

Meantime, suggestions above in bold

Gbrice, thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping you would chime in as Ive seen your input on many other topics. As for Meal times. Meal 1- 7/8am. Meal 2- 9/10. Meal 3- 12 to 2pm. Meal 4- Around 2/3pm. Meal 5- 6 to 8pm. Meal 6- Before bed approx 10pm.
    For my Breakfast, you told me to add a protein shake, is that whey only? Also, youve advised me to add veggies to lunch. Should I add them to any other meals? Also, for my PWO shake, it should be protein and a 1/2 cup oats instead of the protein/dextrose idea? Should I be taking any other supps? Again, thanks for the critique and ideas. This is how we learn.

Dont wanna be old is offline Knowledgeable Member

Look good in pictures .
    Not sure why a fireman needs to workout with a hard physical job and the fact they mention there a fireman and chicks come running .

I would skip splenda in the oatmeal for raisins myself .

To keep meat meals less than tasteless I use hummus or any mushed bean to add flavor and fiber . Salsa will also add variety to meats and eggs . Either homemade or salt free .

I like doing cardio after weight regiment so glucose storage is used for strength and not endurance .

This might be breaking a cardinal rule in diet 101 . I use lean turkey lunch meat or whatever lean and low salt . Multi- grain bread . Use a toaster oven ( I thought standard in most firehouses ) . This adds up to a excellent meal . You can throw a couple egg whites cooked like a omelet on it to boost protein content .

The key to diet is enjoying the meals and variety .

Good luck .
    Dont wanna be old .

Gbrice, thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping you would chime in as Ive seen your input on many other topics. As for Meal times. Meal 1- 7/8am. Meal 2- 9/10. Meal 3- 12 to 2pm. Meal 4- Around 2/3pm. Meal 5- 6 to 8pm. Meal 6- Before bed approx 10pm.
    For my Breakfast, you told me to add a protein shake, is that whey only? Also, youve advised me to add veggies to lunch. Should I add them to any other meals? Also, for my PWO shake, it should be protein and a 1/2 cup oats instead of the protein/dextrose idea? Should I be taking any other supps? Again, thanks for the critique and ideas. This is how we learn.
    You're welcome bro! As for meal timing, try your best to keep all meals with 2.5 - 3 hours of eachother. You should really never let them be more than 3 hours apart.

Breakfast protein shake - whey would be a good option just to get some quick protein in after sleeping all night without any nutrients.

Veggies - lunch and any other meal you can add them too. The more green veggies, the better. Add them to your breakfast if you can stomach it, lol

PWO shake - I personally like using a complex carb, particularly while cutting. I'm not interested in spiking insulin when bodyfat is a concern.

The only other supps i'd reccommend would be fish oil caps for your 0mega 3's.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Dont wanna be old View Post
    This might be breaking a cardinal rule in diet 101 . I use lean turkey lunch meat or whatever lean and low salt . Multi- grain bread
    tisk tisk!!!

Hey Dont Wanna BE Old- If the chicks came running everytime I said I was a fireman than I would wear my bunker pants to the gym b/c the talent there is UNREAL! lol. Anyways, thanks for all the good info guys, I do appreciate it!

Phigment is offline New Member
    gbrice-

When I see you suggest adding oats to a shake do you literally mean a 1/2 cup of dry Quaker Oats blended into the shake?

Quote Originally Posted by Phigment View Post
    gbrice-

When I see you suggest adding oats to a shake do you literally mean a 1/2 cup of dry Quaker Oats blended into the shake?
    Yep, that's what I and alot of people here do. Just add a 1/2 cup dry (or 1 cup, whatever your carb needs), mix with your whey shake, and chew em up. I actually enjoy it!

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Looking pretty huge already OP. Listen to Gbrice all the way.

Without going over specifics, all I'll say is that your diet is so low on protein for a big guy, it's crazy. 2 eggs, a protein bar, fruit, turkey sandwich as meals - EAT MEAT!!!

Phigment is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Yep, that's what I and alot of people here do. Just add a 1/2 cup dry (or 1 cup, whatever your carb needs), mix with your whey shake, and chew em up. I actually enjoy it!
    OK, I will give it a try tomorrow. I head to the gym first thing in the AM so I have a shake on the way out the door and then a post workout shake. Do you suggest adding oats to the before, the after or both?

Thanks Damien, will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Phigment View Post
    OK, I will give it a try tomorrow. I head to the gym first thing in the AM so I have a shake on the way out the door and then a post workout shake. Do you suggest adding oats to the before, the after or both?
    I wouldn't do a shake before, i'd eat real food instead. That said, I would most definitely have a complex carb in my preworkout meal as well, to fuel the workout.

I guess the short answer is if you insist on having a shake pre workout, then yes - oats in both shakes.

dominick2417 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for your service.

Rocket Joe is offline New Member

Definitely add more protein since you might work out in the morning I'd use real food instead of the shake like a cup of egg whites with the 2 whole eggs

Add some fat in here like 2 tbsp of natty PB unless if it's your PWO then 2 scoops of whey and a cup of oats

Add a veggie

I'd do a lean pro source with fat and veggies

good but add some fat, usually a fatty meat source

Add some natty PB

Overall I think it looks good but I would keep the complex carbs only in breakfast/Pre/PWO and just have pro/fat/veggies in the other meals.

Included are 2 pics.

-FiremanJake

Dominick- Its my pleasure
    RocketJoe- Thanks for the suggestions.

Gbrice- Just saw the couple sentences you posted earlier about the TDEE, if you get some time can you post the formulas for me. Thanks.

NVR2BIG1 is offline Banned
    the chicks come running until they find out we are broke and gone half the time!! By then we are ****in' new ones or they are screwing around on us, hahahahaa.

Rocket Joe is offline New Member
    BMR/TDEE formula:

Let’s start with BMR. This is your Basal Metabolic Rate. AKA – how many calories you burn each day by just sitting on your ass. In order to figure out your BMR, you need to know what your lean body mass is. In turn, you need to know what your body fat percentage is.

If you don’t know your body fat percentage, go to your gym and get tested (please don’t use electronic scales to get your bf % checked, they're horrible). If you don’t have a gym that offers this service; ask me and I’ll give you a pretty good estimate.

With your bf % in hand, here’s the formula:

BMR (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

Total weight x bf % in decimal form = total bf weight

Total weight - total bf weight = total lean body mass

For example:

I am 6'1 210 lbs at 10% body fat... so I would multiply 210 by .10 (converted from percent to decimal) = 21 lbs
    210 – 21 = 189 lbs lean body weight

189 / 2.2 = 86.0 lean mass in kg

370 + (21.6 x 86) = 2227.6 BMR (this is high for the average person)

Now that we have a BMR figure, we can move on to TDEE. Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is how many calories we actually use during the day via our BMR and activities such as work, exercise and various tasks. We can figure this number out with simple math but be honest because this figure is to be the cornerstone of your diet and healthy lifestyle. We need to determine your activity level. We’ll choose from a few levels:

§ If you are sedentary (little or no exercise): Calorie - Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    § If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    § If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    § If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    § If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

For example:

I train with weights 5 days for 90 minutes per week. I play hockey three times per week
    for 90 minutes. I do 60 minutes of cardio training 5 times per week as well. I also practice my sport 3 times per week for 90 minutes. Either via skating or puck/shooting drills. All are high-intensity. I am between very and extra active. Let’s say BMR x 1.8. My TDEE is 4010.

Thread Information