frank784 is offline Junior Member

Pre/Post Work Out Meal Question

I have recently been instructed by a personal trainer to change my pre/post workout meals. Advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't think what I am taking seems right:

I was told to have a full meal 2 hours prior to workout, then have the following 30 mins prior/post workout:

Gatorade mixed with Amino Extreme(Amino acids), glutamine, and No Explode. I am getting roughly 14g protein pre/post along with minimal carbs.

Then to eat another full meal 1-2 hours after workout.

From what I read I need more protein after workout. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

tjax03 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frank784 View Post
    I have recently been instructed by a personal trainer to change my pre/post workout meals. Advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't think what I am taking seems right:

I was told to have a full meal 2 hours prior to workout, then have the following 30 mins prior/post workout:

Gatorade mixed with Amino Extreme(Amino acids), glutamine, and No Explode. I am getting roughly 14g protein pre/post along with minimal carbs.

Then to eat another full meal 1-2 hours after workout.

From what I read I need more protein after workout. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
    Immediately after a workout is a good time to consume some form of quick digesting whey protein. I usually aim for about 40-50 grams of protein at that time, followed by a full meal an hour or so later. I never take glutamine or preworkout mixes so I can't comment on that. I believe that no xplode has a lot of sugar in it, if that is correct maybe your trainer is trying to induce an insulin spike directly after your workout. That is the only reason I could see for having the no xplode at that time, someone correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    BCAA's, pre/during, milk protein after, then a meal 30-45mins later.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by swifto View Post
    bcaa's, pre/during, milk protein after, then a meal 30-45mins later.

^^^ this

Ok so from what it sounds like I will keep my pre workout meal the same:

Gatorade/No Explode/Glutamine/Amino Acids

Which will in turn give me an energy spike as needed, but will change my post workout meal to a whey protein shake. I will also added some carbs post workout as I am not getting a lot from the shake alone.

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by frank784 View Post
    Ok so from what it sounds like I will keep my pre workout meal the same:

Gatorade/No Explode/Glutamine/Amino Acids

Which will in turn give me an energy spike as needed, but will change my post workout meal to a whey protein shake. I will also added some carbs post workout as I am not getting a lot from the shake alone.
    Glutamine doesnt do much in the way of LBM gain and PWO recovery IMO. But it improves immune system function.

Keep your PWO carbs low GI IMHO, something like oats.

Not too much Gatorade during the WO either, the BCAA's will cause an insulin spike.

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    Agree. Only 1 small benefit to Glut unless it's administered via IV.

I will add a low GI carb post work out.

The only gatorade I will have will be with the Pre Workout drink. I only sip water throughout a workout as needed.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Thread Information