cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries

I could drink egg whites all day every day

I guess this is what im getting at.

Shakes with whey are bullshit in my opinion. You don't get to look like Lee Priest by eating some powder 5 times a day.

Egg whites on the other hand, just seems like more legitimate shit. And I could drink this 5 times a day every day mixed with some fat free yogurt milk whatever else.

Another analogy. You pick up a power bar and it says it has 25 grams of protein. Doesn't mean it is going to kick as much ass as a 7 ounce steak or whatever.

If half of my meals came from shakes each with a cup of egg whites in them (25 grams of protein from the egg whites alone), could I expect the same true gains that I would have gotten eating chicken and rice for example?

I am open to science, opinions, "this is what works for me", "this is what I suspect", etc anything.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper View Post
    I guess this is what im getting at.

Shakes with whey are bullshit in my opinion. You don't get to look like Lee Priest by eating some powder 5 times a day.

Egg whites on the other hand, just seems like more legitimate shit. And I could drink this 5 times a day every day mixed with some fat free yogurt milk whatever else.

Another analogy. You pick up a power bar and it says it has 25 grams of protein. Doesn't mean it is going to kick as much ass as a 7 ounce steak or whatever.

If half of my meals came from shakes each with a cup of egg whites in them (25 grams of protein from the egg whites alone), could I expect the same true gains that I would have gotten eating chicken and rice for example?

I am open to science, opinions, "this is what works for me", "this is what I suspect", etc anything.
    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here - when you say shakes with egg whites in them, you don't mean whey shakes (which you already feel are BS) but your own yogurt milk shake or whatever?

Bottom line is eggs/egg whites are an excellent source of protein, you can't go wrong with them. However, whey protein does have it's place, specifically PWO for fast absorption. Egg whites digest fast too, but not nearly as fast as whey.

Keep in mind whey is nothing more than a part of milk protein extracted from the milk. They sell egg protein powders as well, so are they bs too?

Having said that - whole foods are always > than powders IMO.

V8Assassin is offline Junior Member
    Does it increase or decrease absorption to leave the egg whites uncooked?

biggerisbetter1827 is offline Junior Member
    Whole food is much better than replacing meals with protein shakes. However, you can access more of the protein in egg whites if they are cooked. In order to be absorbed by the body proteins must be broken down into their individual amino acids. They are then capable of entering the blood stream and being transported into our cells where they reformed into proteins that our body requires.
    In their uncooked form egg proteins will be in their in quaternary, Tertiary and secondary structures, essentially they are less accessible and it is harder for our body to break these proteins down when they are in these states.And some of these amino acids will pass through our body undigested.
    With cooking the heat causes these proteins to denature into their primary stucture or long chains of polypeptides. In this form it is much easier for our bodies to break the proteins down into their individual amino acids. Therefore taking full advantage of the protein contained within the egg whites.

killface is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here - when you say shakes with egg whites in them, you don't mean whey shakes (which you already feel are BS) but your own yogurt milk shake or whatever?

Bottom line is eggs/egg whites are an excellent source of protein, you can't go wrong with them. However, whey protein does have it's place, specifically PWO for fast absorption. Egg whites digest fast too, but not nearly as fast as whey.

Keep in mind whey is nothing more than a part of milk protein extracted from the milk. They sell egg protein powders as well, so are they bs too?

When he says "Shakes with whey are bullshit in my opinion", I think he is referring to when they are used to replace meals, not so much PWO shakes. I guess he's asking for opinions on replacing solid foods such as chicken or beef with egg whites. For the sake of convenience perhaps?

cherrydrpepper is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by killface View Post
    When he says "Shakes with whey are bullshit in my opinion", I think he is referring to when they are used to replace meals, not so much PWO shakes. I guess he's asking for opinions on replacing solid foods such as chicken or beef with egg whites. For the sake of convenience perhaps?
    Yes. Avg meal prep time for egg whites shake: 5 minutes

Avg for chicken or beef: half an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post

I'll bring some mathematics in.

Scoop of whey does not equal piece of steak. No ****in way I just dont believe it.

Egg white = X, where X is a value between whey and steak. Solve for X.

Quote Originally Posted by biggerisbetter1827 View Post
    Whole food is much better than replacing meals with protein shakes. However, you can access more of the protein in egg whites if they are cooked. In order to be absorbed by the body proteins must be broken down into their individual amino acids. They are then capable of entering the blood stream and being transported into our cells where they reformed into proteins that our body requires.
    In their uncooked form egg proteins will be in their in quaternary, Tertiary and secondary structures, essentially they are less accessible and it is harder for our body to break these proteins down when they are in these states.And some of these amino acids will pass through our body undigested.
    With cooking the heat causes these proteins to denature into their primary stucture or long chains of polypeptides. In this form it is much easier for our bodies to break the proteins down into their individual amino acids. Therefore taking full advantage of the protein contained within the egg whites.
    Thank you Mr Wizard. Badass answer.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrydrpepper View Post
    Yes. Avg meal prep time for egg whites shake: 5 minutes

Avg for chicken or beef: half an hour.

I'll bring some mathematics in.

Scoop of whey does not equal piece of steak. No ****in way I just dont believe it.

Egg white = X, where X is a value between whey and steak. Solve for X.

Thank you Mr Wizard. Badass answer.
    LoL I passed math with 70's all through HS, somebody else do this calculation and let me know how it turns out!

Thread Information