Thread: Clean bulk diet

charcold is offline Associate Member

Clean bulk diet

As I've seen mentioned on the site, several times, im trying to get my diet in line before expecting good gains anyhow.
    Im currently around 175 lbs, 5'10, and I think around 14% bf. After much reading, this is what ive been reading, I know it needs a little work. Some of my meals are because of some free meat I got from of my parents lol.

Im trying to gain around 3/4 a pound a week, cleanly, well with at least good separation of carbs/fats. Any opinions is appreciated.

Heres what I ate today, I usually write a new diet for the next day, seems to be a more realistic approach IMO.
    9:00am, Sausage(free) and 4 egg whites. Flax caps. 48g pro, 48g fat

11:00 Protein shake, 1/2cup oats. 50g pro, 30g carbs

12:30 Chicken breast, bagel. 60g pro, 50g carbs

2:00 (2) pork chops 42g pro, 20g fat.

4:30 Chicken breast, 50g pro
    workout

6:30 Shake, 50gpro, 80g dextrose.

8:00 turkey breast, 50g protein

Apprx 350g protein, 160g carbs, 65g fat
    apprx 2600 calories.

I know I need more carbs, earlier in the day.

My other problem is I calculated my BMR right over 2500, so im hopeing the addition of carbs will bump me up a bit. As well as the last two mornings ive weighed the exact same to the tenth. Which may be luck, but it is something im watching.

Im down with the chops and sausage once used up BTW. Im a fan of eggs and bagels, wheat toast as well.

TIA
    Last edited by charcold; 10-16-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Lifeguard102 is offline Associate Member
    Where are your fruits and veggies Charcold?
    at 175lbs no reason to scrap these.

Also some meals are spaced at 1.5 hrs others a lot more if I rem correctly.
    Why?

Shoot for 2.5 to 3 hrs bud.
    Life

As much as i hate to say it, I cant stand most veggies, sigh. Perhaps i need to man up to some sorta v-8 type of drink, avoiding sugar of course. thoughts here? As well as im allergic to several lol. I can do apples, sweet potatoes, potatoes, ehh. No lettece tomatoes onions etc.

And to be honest those times fluctuate, I have class at 8 am twice a week, and 10am 3 times a week. And I have to hit my meals in between classes, but maybe I should move one to after my workout, because last night I ate an extra meal(was hungry) around 9

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    You need to man-up and chew, swallow, repeat with asparagus, broccoli, spinach, etc. It's not really an excuse anymore after your 12th birthday. V-8 juice and substitutes have no place in bodybuilding diets. I'd say your body fat is 12-14% indeed.

But the diet is just weak as a whole. Try for something cleaner, more like this:

My 2nd cycle/Diet set for August 13th.

Cool, one of the guys opinions i was wanting. Thanks.

Man up, I can handle that. I think I can do aspargus for sure, maybe broccoli.

I will do some revising it later or tomorrow. And since I didnt post my age, I am 22 lol.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Not to repeat what's already been said, but yea - the diet needs a lot of work. The first thing i'd do is work on meal timing - it's all over the place. Try to get it more consistent throughout the day, like 2.5 - 3 hours apart for each meal, as much as possible.

Make better food choices; pork chops taste great but aren't considered a lean protein source. Will they kill you once a week? No - but they should not be a staple in your diet. Get some eggs, fish, beef going. As the others mentioned, time to start eating your veggies. I've always hated most veggies too. You have to get creative in the kitchen and you'd be surprised at how good veggies can taste when they're not prepared the way you remember your mom doing. For instance I used to HATE green beans. I made a batch last night and ate all of my steak first so I could savor the green beans for last. That's how good they were!

Lifeguard102 is offline Associate Member
    If class is 8 am shoot down a 7 am shake if need be.

each meal needs an approved carb. or fruit source
    veggies- baby spinach, bell peppers, red potato, sweet potato, broccoli

fruit- blueberries + strawberries , grapefruit, peaches - all in season and delicious after cutting for 15 weeks lol.

I hate veggies and the mentioned fruits used to make me gag.
    They begin to taste like candy bars and ice cream once your diet is flawless.

Work on meal spacing, get a perfect daily meal plan and follow it every day.

Living further south now, there's so much seasonal, fresh fruit sold on the roadside everywhere. Georgia peaches, blueberries, and plums are now my PWO carbs and I eat a lot of them too. It goes against the advice I often give but summer's almost over and I'm not cutting - my skin has really felt great since starting with all these natty antioxidant fruits.

Fix my spacing, easy enough, I carry a cooler anyway.

Ive been thinking about my veggies, I think if I just kinda grill some up in a skillet, I can eat them. Something like greenbeens, corn, mushrooms, beans and rice. Probably throw some asparagus in there as well. If i do that, would a cup a few times daily be useful? I saw a cup, going off the thoughts of damiens posted diet....

The pork chops is really a one package of meat deal. The day before it was chicken breast, and turkey IIRC. Use it or lose it, and I really dont like to "waste" things. I will try to revise the diet this afternoon after workout.

Thanks.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by charcold View Post
    Fix my spacing, easy enough, I carry a cooler anyway.

Ive been thinking about my veggies, I think if I just kinda grill some up in a skillet, I can eat them. Something like greenbeens, corn, mushrooms, beans and rice. Probably throw some asparagus in there as well. If i do that, would a cup a few times daily be useful? I saw a cup, going off the thoughts of damiens posted diet....

The pork chops is really a one package of meat deal. The day before it was chicken breast, and turkey IIRC. Use it or lose it, and I really dont like to "waste" things. I will try to revise the diet this afternoon after workout.

Thanks.
    Greenbeans are great, mushrooms are fine but won't really provide any additional benefit. Won't hurt either. I personally wouldn't use corn as a veggie; it's high in sugar and doesn't provide the nutrition of the 'green' veggies. Asparagus, Broccoli, Brussell Sprouts, Kale, Most Green Lettuces, Cauliflower, etc. are all great choices.

Be careful with the rice and beans - they are both carbs and if you mix with veggies might be difficult to get accurate macros with.

Hmm, I will take that into consideration as well. I knew corn was carb heavy, but i havent googled any macros of anything.

Thanks again.

Cousinbutch is offline Associate Member
    As much as i hate to say it, I cant stand most veggies, sigh. Perhaps i need to man up to some sorta v-8 type of drink, avoiding sugar of course. thoughts here? As well as im allergic to several lol. I can do apples, sweet potatoes, potatoes, ehh. No lettece tomatoes onions etc.

And to be honest those times fluctuate, I have class at 8 am twice a week, and 10am 3 times a week. And I have to hit my meals in between classes, but maybe I should move one to after my workout, because last night I ate an extra meal(was hungry) around 9
    If you've got a blender, blend the veggies and water - chug.

ok. Still looks weak on paper, and need around 300g of carbs. But maybe at this point its at least revisable.

Fixing the times were the easy part lol..
    8:00 4 whole eggs, 2 whites. Bagel. 46/50/20
    10:30 shake with 1/2cup oats, peach, 50/45/0
    1:00 Chicken breast with cup of brown rice, Asparagusting. 50/45/0
    3:30 Tuna/ cup sweet potatoes 45/58/24
    Workout
    6:00 Shake 1/2 cup oats 60/50/6
    8:30 Chicken breast, brocolli and mushrooms. 50/8/0
    Before bed, red meat. 8 oz sirloin or equivalent? 35/0/5

335/260/55
    2875 cals

I will still be taking flax caps as well.
    Last edited by charcold; 08-27-2010 at 04:10 PM.

ok. Still looks weak on paper, and need around 300g of carbs. But maybe at this point its at least revisable.

Fixing the times were the easy part lol..
    8:00 4 whole eggs, 2 whites. Bagel. 46/50/20 OK - a bagel is a 93 on the GI. You want complex carbs for sustained energy and this is just the opposite. You need to replace it with a whole grain or other complex carb source that isn't baked but grown/picked. Think barley, cornmeal, oats, sweet potato, wild rice, brown rice, beans, etc. The best choice for breakfast is 1 cup oats (mix with 2 cups water and microwave 2:00 minutes - add splenda - oatmeal). As for the eggs, why so many whole and so few whites? That's too much fat for a meal that already has plenty of carbs. Do 1-2 whole eggs and as many as 10 whites.
    10:30 shake with 1/2cup oats, peach, 50/45/0 No peach. Do 1 cup oats. If it has to be a shake, fine, but 6-8 oz. lean meat is always better.
    1:00 Chicken breast with cup of brown rice, Asparagusting. 50/45/0 Nice meal
    3:30 Tuna/ cup sweet potatoes 45/58/24 Where's the 24g of fat coming from? Mayo? If so, try to use something better like a teaspoon of mustard and a tablespoon of olive oil, with some lemon juice/vinegar.
    Workout
    6:00 Shake 1/2 cup oats 60/50/6 Add the peach! 60g protein is excessive, 2 scoops of whey is ideal. 2 scoops whey, 1/2 cup oats, peach - nice PWO!!
    8:30 Chicken breast, brocolli and mushrooms. 50/8/0 Add 15g healthy fat - ideally, some extra virgin olive oil on the veggies or 1 oz. almonds/cashews/walnuts

Before bed, red meat. 8 oz sirloin or equivalent? 35/0/5 Yeah, perfect. Any red meat will have more than 5g of fat, and that's fine!

335/260/55
    2875 cals

I will still be taking flax caps as well.
    Changes in bold. Protein is high honestly, bring up carbs to 300 and fats to 70. Protein can go as low as 275 but I think you could eat more cals and leave it around 300.

The tuna is just packaged tuna, it said 24g of fat. Maybe its in a oil or something, so that may be an easy fix. Im outta bagels, so I wont buy anymore of those.

And the 60g is 2 scoops of whey, and 10 from the oatmeal. EDIT, 5 from oatmeal, I messed those macros up.

Thanks for the help D05, I will do another revision, and try to get this kicked off right for the new week. Im going home this weekend to grab a few things.

Thanks.
    Last edited by charcold; 08-27-2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: above.

Yeah, it's in oil if that's the case. I'd just buy it in water and add your own fat source. But even if you don't, I imagine you're draining it pretty dry, so I can't see it being 24g consumed.

Just got home, fixing to go shopping. Yup its in sunflower oil, I meant to get it in water as well. Easy fix.

Thanks Damien

Thread Information