dominick2417 is offline Junior Member

Middle of night with Keto.

I follow the Palumbo diet.

What should I eat if I wake up in the middle of the night to piss with about 4 hours left until I wake up for the day?

I usually eat some protein powder and 1 tbsp peanut butter. 28p 3c 8f

What if I wake up two hours before I plan to get up for the day? Should I just stay up? Will eating certain foods make my morning cardio less effective?

I sleep about 10 hrs a night. I usaully eat at 9, read until 9:30, and am usually asleep by 10. I wake up between 7 and 8 a.m.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by dominick2417 View Post
    I follow the Palumbo diet.

What should I eat if I wake up in the middle of the night to piss with about 4 hours left until I wake up for the day?

I usually eat some protein powder and 1 tbsp peanut butter. 28p 3c 8f

What if I wake up two hours before I plan to get up for the day? Should I just stay up? Will eating certain foods make my morning cardio less effective?

I sleep about 10 hrs a night. I usaully eat at 9, read until 9:30, and am usually asleep by 10. I wake up between 7 and 8 a.m.
    I would slam a casein shake but not the PB overnight, especially if it's pretty soon before getting up for the day / cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I would slam a casein shake but not the PB overnight, especially if it's pretty soon before getting up for the day / cardio.
    Wouldn't casien two hours before cardio make my body burn less fat? It seems that the peanut butter would slow the protein powder absorption down just as eating casien would.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Casein and an EFA.

done.

Wouldn't casien two hours before cardio make my body burn less fat? It seems that the peanut butter would slow the protein powder absorption down just as eating casien would.
    Why would having protein present in your system cause your body to burn less fat? It's not an energy source, so you really don't need to worry. Yes, the peanut butter would slow protein absorption, but it's also an energy source and that being present can affect morning cardio, same for carbs.

Why would having protein present in your system cause your body to burn less fat? It's not an energy source, so you really don't need to worry. Yes, the peanut butter would slow protein absorption, but it's also an energy source and that being present can affect morning cardio, same for carbs.
    If that were the case, wouldn't it be a good idea to eat 25g of protein before your morning cardio. Since protein is not an energy source, your body will not burn that and it will only save your muscles. I do not believe that is the case. I think if you ate protein before your cardio, you would burn the protein instead of fat.

tembe is offline Member
    id honestly say just go back to sleep

If that were the case, wouldn't it be a good idea to eat 25g of protein before your morning cardio. Since protein is not an energy source, your body will not burn that and it will only save your muscles. I do not believe that is the case. I think if you ate protein before your cardio, you would burn the protein instead of fat.
    Actually I do take a protein shake before morning cardio (on the rare days I do cardio only). You've slept all night, you've been good with your diet so glycogen stores should be high and your body will burn those stores and some bodyfat, and hopefully spare your LBM which the protein can help with. I would not be concerned about your body using dietary protein as it's energy source.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tembe View Post
    Me too. But yes, dietary protein should be of little concern. It will not deter your body from burning fat to any real extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    Me too. But yes, dietary protein should be of little concern. It will not deter your body from burning fat to any real extent.
    If that were the case, why does everyone suggest (for Palumbo diet) to not eat anything between lifting and cardio? It would seem that between those times your body would absorb the protein and not deter fat loss, which goes against what you I have always heard.

I do not agree with that assumption. I am under the firm belief that whatever you eat now will be used before your body reverts to stored glycogen or body fat. Think if you own a store, wouldn't it be easier to sell the shit on the counter that was just delivered than going into the warehouse to get the products?

Actually I do take a protein shake before morning cardio (on the rare days I do cardio only). You've slept all night, you've been good with your diet so glycogen stores should be high and your body will burn those stores and some bodyfat, and hopefully spare your LBM which the protein can help with. I would not be concerned about your body using dietary protein as it's energy source.
    I am on the Palumbo diet, so other than Monday there are no glycogen stores, which is pivotal of that diet.

Like I state above, I do not think your body will burn stored fat before it would burn the readily available protien you just injested.
    Last edited by dominick2417; 08-26-2010 at 01:57 PM.

I said little concern. Not no concern. Fat loss would be optimized with a completely empty stomach but that's no reason not to fight catabolism if you happen to be up. Remember preserving or gaining lbm is the ultimate fat burn.

On top of that, I said I'd just go back to sleep if it was within 2 hours.

On top of that top, you really think that when doing pwo cardio as Dave also suggests, there isn't some available protein from earlier meals still swimming around?

If you were askking if you should eat a big chicken breast directly pre-cardio, I'd be with you but we're talking about casein 2+ hours before. Fair?

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post

On top of that, I said I'd just go back to sleep if it was within 2 hours.

On top of that top, you really think that when doing pwo cardio as Dave also suggests, there isn't some available protein from earlier meals still swimming around?
    Fair?
    I will probably just go back to sleep from now on.

I am certain there is always protein trickling into my muscles, that is the overarching goal in eating like a bodybuilder isn't it? I think the workout would use most, if not all, of any stored glycogen or protein swimming around, thus making PWO cardio as fat buring as possible.

tjax03 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tembe View Post
    Definitely agree with this. Better quality sleep trumps 20 grams of protein or any meal for that matter

Remember, protein is not an energy source. It isn't depleted via exercise. Of course, the anabolic environment during and following exercise increases protein synthesis but if you eat chicken in your pre-workout meal, it won't be completely "burned up" after 90 minutes of lifting. Even a moderately fast digesting source such as chicken will take up to 5 hours to break down completely.

Thread Information