Atomini is offline Banned

Question concerning the measurement of Oatmeal (and other things).

So I was eating my oatmeal the other day. I'm currently carb cycling while on this cycle right now, and it just happened to be my medium-carb day the day before yesterday. Medium carb days are 90grams of carbs total in one day, all strictly from oats. 30g carbs upon waking up with a protein shake, 30g before a workout, and 30 after.

As I was eating, my buddy asks me how many grams of carbs and how much oats i'm using. I told him one cup of oats (as it says on the nutritional info on the bag). Then he asked me if i'm scooping out one cup of raw oats, or one cup AFTER its boiled and cooked. I told him raw, and he said as a result i'm probably intaking more than my target amount of carbs. I was like "uhhh..."

My portions once cooked always did occur to me as being quite large, as we all know it expands when boiled and water is added. So let me ask you guys this... is this true? I checked nutrition info on the bag of oats and it doesn't state whether that 1 cup it lists is COOKED or UNCOOKED. I'm not sure what to do now. I'm not really worried, as i've been losing a whole % of bodyfat on this cycle PER WEEK through carb cycling (plus T3, clen , tren , test, turinabol ... lol), but i'd like to be as specific as I possibly can when measuring my grams and portions.

Does this apply for other things as well, such as raw vs cooked brown rice?

bigcwithane is offline Member
    That's one cup cooked 1/2 cup raw

Damn... and that's what I thought. Same goes for rice as well, I assume.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Usually the nutrition info on grains etc. will specify - and 99% of the time, it's raw/dry. I'm surprised yours doesn't - what brand is this?

In any event, a typical serving of oats is 1/2 cup RAW (equates to about 1 cup cooked) and provides 27g carbs, 2.5g fat, and 2g or so of protein.

The 2 primary brands of oats I use is Quaker and Robin Hood.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quaker definitely lists them as dry measure, 1/2 cup. Not familiar with Robin Hood.

Thread Information