Thread: Newbie help

ppk2291 is offline New Member

Newbie help

Hey guys,

I've been seriously lifting for about 18 months, and I've been lurking and reading stuff here for a few days.

Over the first year, I've seen some great gains, I got my Max bench up to 300lb and I can rep 230, whereas when I started I couldn't even get 225 up.

That being said, I feel that recently I've plateaued. I have been eating less, as I wanted to cut a little fat. If I were to start eating more (4000+ kcal) would this solve my issue?

EDIT: Whoops! Forgot my stats:

19 y/o
    5'11"
    185lb
    11% body fat
    Last edited by ppk2291; 08-28-2010 at 02:50 PM.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    It depends on your TDEE. Use the info below to determine what it is, then you'll have an idea of how much you need to eat to grow or lose weight.

BMR/TDEE formula:

Let’s start with BMR. This is your Basal Metabolic Rate. AKA – how many calories you burn each day by just sitting on your ass. In order to figure out your BMR, you need to know what your lean body mass is. In turn, you need to know what your body fat percentage is.

If you don’t know your body fat percentage, go to your gym and get tested (please don’t use electronic scales to get your bf % checked, they're horrible). If you don’t have a gym that offers this service; ask me and I’ll give you a pretty good estimate.

With your bf % in hand, here’s the formula:

BMR (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

Total weight x bf % in decimal form = total bf weight

Total weight - total bf weight = total lean body mass

For example:

I am 6'1 210 lbs at 10% body fat... so I would multiply 210 by .10 (converted from percent to decimal) = 21 lbs
    210 – 21 = 189 lbs lean body weight

189 / 2.2 = 86.0 lean mass in kg

370 + (21.6 x 86) = 2227.6 BMR (this is high for the average person)

Now that we have a BMR figure, we can move on to TDEE. Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is how many calories we actually use during the day via our BMR and activities such as work, exercise and various tasks. We can figure this number out with simple math but be honest because this figure is to be the cornerstone of your diet and healthy lifestyle. We need to determine your activity level. We’ll choose from a few levels:

§ If you are sedentary (little or no exercise): Calorie - Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    § If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    § If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    § If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    § If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

For example:

I train with weights 5 days for 90 minutes per week. I play hockey three times per week
    for 90 minutes. I do 60 minutes of cardio training 5 times per week as well. I also practice my sport 3 times per week for 90 minutes. Either via skating or puck/shooting drills. All are high-intensity. I am between very and extra active. Let’s say BMR x 1.8. My TDEE is 4010.

ppk2291 is offline New Member
    Thanks, gbrice!

I appreciate the detailed response! I did use one of those electric scales, I'll look into going to a doctor or trainer to get a real % check.

I'll try out what you posted, thanks again for the advice!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    np bro, good luck!

Thread Information