musclestack is offline Productive Member

wish I would'be known...

Hey, guys. I've been on a cutting diet for the past 3 months. At first, fat loss was pretty good; I am actually able to see my abs now (in the right lighting lol), but the fat loss has slowed now. I thought I had a pretty good diet at first, knowing exactly how many cals I was eating every day. Then.....I bought a digital scale. Turns out, instead of 8 oz. of sirloin steak in two of my meals, it was actually 12 oz. So, instead of 70g of protein, it was 104g! Instead of 11g of fat, it was 17g!! Same with the sweet potato! I am acually consuming about 400 calories more than I thought I was!!! My TDEE is 2600, and I am aiming for 2000 calories/day. (Right now, I'm eating 2400 calories a day!) Below is my diet. Can you guys look at it and tell me how to change it up? Obviously, I was thinking cut down on the portions of steak and sweet potato. I know meal 5 has carbs late in the day, but carbs are already low and would like to keep them to fuel my workout.

Stats
    5'9"
    171 lbs.
    16% bf (approx)

goal: preserve muscle while getting down to 10%

Meal 1 (730AM)
    5 egg whites
    1/3 cup oats

P-24
    C-17
    F-2

Meal 2 (1030AM)
    1 can tuna
    12 almonds

P-26
    C-3
    F-10

Meal 3 (1PM)
    12 oz. sirloin
    8 oz. sweet potato

P-109
    C-54
    F-17

Meal 4 (330PM)
    1 can tuna
    12 almonds

P-26
    C-3
    F-10

Meal 5 (6PM)
    5 egg whites
    1/3 cup oats

P-24
    C-17
    F-2

PWO (8PM)
    Whey Shake

P-22
    C-4
    F-2

Meal 6 (9PM)
    12 oz. sirloin
    1 tbsp olive oil

P-104
    C-0
    F-31

I also have roughly 3 cups of brocolli per day with meals 3, 5, and 6.

Thanks for all your help!

MS

Anyone with advice on my diet?

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    Eat Chicken Breast instead of the steak. You can cut about 25 grams of fat right there, and a bunch of calories.

And 12 oz is a big ass steak, probably a small plate full when cut up.

I eat 7oz when I eat steak and that is plenty. Adjust the portion to something reasonable, I mean you are trying to cut not bulk. They have steak packages at the grocery store that have like 9 pre cut pieces all the same size, if you want to know how much each one is just do the math with the weight.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post
    Hey, guys. I've been on a cutting diet for the past 3 months. At first, fat loss was pretty good; I am actually able to see my abs now (in the right lighting lol), but the fat loss has slowed now. I thought I had a pretty good diet at first, knowing exactly how many cals I was eating every day. Then.....I bought a digital scale. Turns out, instead of 8 oz. of sirloin steak in two of my meals, it was actually 12 oz. So, instead of 70g of protein, it was 104g! Instead of 11g of fat, it was 17g!! Same with the sweet potato! I am acually consuming about 400 calories more than I thought I was!!! My TDEE is 2600, and I am aiming for 2000 calories/day. (Right now, I'm eating 2400 calories a day!) Below is my diet. Can you guys look at it and tell me how to change it up? Obviously, I was thinking cut down on the portions of steak and sweet potato. I know meal 5 has carbs late in the day, but carbs are already low and would like to keep them to fuel my workout.

Stats
    5'9"
    171 lbs.
    16% bf (approx)

goal: preserve muscle while getting down to 10%

Meal 1 (730AM)
    5 egg whites
    1/3 cup oats

P-24
    C-17
    F-2

Add 1-2 whole eggs, make oats 1/2 cup

Meal 2 (1030AM)
    1 can tuna
    12 almonds

P-26
    C-3
    F-10

I'd do complex carb this early in the day and drop the almonds

Meal 3 (1PM)
    12 oz. sirloin
    8 oz. sweet potato

P-109
    C-54
    F-17

Good meal! Add 2 cups green veggies

Meal 4 (330PM)
    1 can tuna
    12 almonds

P-26
    C-3
    F-10

Same critique as above regarding complex carbs vs. fats

Meal 5 (6PM)
    5 egg whites
    1/3 cup oats

P-24
    C-17
    F-2

More whites, and 1/2 cup of oats

PWO (8PM)
    Whey Shake

P-22
    C-4
    F-2

Meal 6 (9PM)
    12 oz. sirloin
    1 tbsp olive oil

P-104
    C-0
    F-31

You don't need the extra olive oil, the sirloin has enough fat on it's own. 30g of fat is a LOT in one sitting

I also have roughly 3 cups of brocolli per day with meals 3, 5, and 6.

Oh good, didn't see this before!

Thanks for all your help!

MS
    Suggestions in bold

thanks, gbrice! I am trying to keep calories at 2000. Like I said in the original post, I plan on reducing the sirloin to 8 oz. instead of 12 oz, as well as the sweet potato in meal 3 at 8oz. Adding the extra oats in those two meals will bring me back up to a higher calorie intake than I want. What do you suggest? Would you still omit the olive oil in the last meal if I am going to reduce the sirloin to 8 oz (which would be a total of 25 grams of fat, including the olive oil)? Also, I have 3 cups of veggies throughout the day with meals 3,5, and 6.

Thanks for the help!

Anyone with further suggestions as to how to tweak the diet and maintain 2000 cals/day?

Thread Information