Thread: feeling fat...

musclestack is offline Productive Member

feeling fat...

Hey, guys. I just started my keto diet a couple weeks ago. For the most part, I am satisfied with the results so far even though it's fairly early. I weighed myself last Saturday, and I've lost 5 pounds since day 1 with no loss in strength even though it's most likely water weight. I continued keto for the first 2 weeks straight without a carb refeed until this past Sunday. Ever since the carb load (especially the past couple of days), I just feel really bloated. It may just be psychological, but it seems as though I've lost a bit of definition in my mid-section when I look in the mirror. I will admit, I think I overdid it on the carb load, but pretty sure I have it worked out now, so it will be much more strict from here on out. I haven't weighed myself since the carb load on Sunday....this is kind of a personal preference--I only weigh myself once a week, which is Saturday morning. What do you guys think this is? Is it water weight from the carb load making me feel fat (bloated)? Or maybe just me feeling guilty that I had all those carbs over the weekend?

Also, what are some of the things you guys eat while carb loading? I want to keep it below 500 grams from here on out, and only on Sunday; this last weekend, I started Saturday night and went through Sunday evening. I know I went well over that this past weekend, but I'll change that now.

Any suggestions on why I feel/look this way. I'm really thinking about going out and running a marathon to make me feel better lol!!

Thanks.
    MS

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    It could be all of the above. Bloat/water retention from the carb load, and psychological because you know you ate a bunch of stuff you don't 'normally' eat (not while on keto anyway).

This is why I don't agree with a refeed day/carb load. I'd go with a single meal once a week as your refeed. Make it super carb heavy, but that's it. A full carb up day is way too much IMO.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    It could be all of the above. Bloat/water retention from the carb load, and psychological because you know you ate a bunch of stuff you don't 'normally' eat (not while on keto anyway).

This is why I don't agree with a refeed day/carb load. I'd go with a single meal once a week as your refeed. Make it super carb heavy, but that's it. A full carb up day is way too much IMO.
    Depending on what someone's diet is like during the week (ie, how low they are going with carbs),

they will most likely need more than one meal for a "refeed".

This will especially be true with a keto diet, since carbs are almost minimal.

The carb load/re-feed or whatever you want to call it, will not only keep metabolism going,

but will raise leptin and ghrelin: hormones that are directly related to fat loss.

carb cycling, keto, TKD, are all about regulating and manipulating these hormones.

Quote Originally Posted by D7M View Post
    Depending on what someone's diet is like during the week (ie, how low they are going with carbs),

they will most likely need more than one meal for a "refeed".

This will especially be true with a keto diet, since carbs are almost minimal.

The carb load/re-feed or whatever you want to call it, will not only keep metabolism going,

but will raise leptin and ghrelin: hormones that are directly related to fat loss.

carb cycling, keto, TKD, are all about regulating and manipulating these hormones.
    I do understand what you're saying here, but looking at a diet like Palumbo's which is still keto - he recommends 1 carb meal. Granted, you also do a small amount of carbs pre (and post?) workout, so you're not 100% without carbs through the week and maybe this is what makes all the difference.

I can only speak from personal experience - for me, a 24 hour carb load was WAY too much. My results on CKD weren't very good, and I felt like crap after the carb up days. If anything, i'd keep it at 12 hours max. I guess it's individual though - if somebody can do 24 hours and feel good and still lose fat, DO IT! Doesn't sound like that's the case with the OP though.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I do understand what you're saying here, but looking at a diet like Palumbo's which is still keto - he recommends 1 carb meal. Granted, you also do a small amount of carbs pre (and post?) workout, so you're not 100% without carbs through the week and maybe this is what makes all the difference.

I can only speak from personal experience - for me, a 24 hour carb load was WAY too much. My results on CKD weren't very good, and I felt like crap after the carb up days. If anything, i'd keep it at 12 hours max. I guess it's individual though - if somebody can do 24 hours and feel good and still lose fat, DO IT! Doesn't sound like that's the case with the OP though.
    I thought Palumbo recommends one free for all cheat meal?

Anyway, right. I kind of agree...experimentation will tell each person what's best for them.

I wouldn't go with a 24 hour carb load either. Way to much, imo.

Just one day, that's all anyone should need.

I felt like crap ON the days I ate a lot of carbs, just tired and lethargic. Once I got back into ketosis I started to feel better, though.

Maybe that's what it is, a full on cheat meal. Sounds more up my alley! =)

Yea, I agree about one day - problem is too many people translate that literally to mean 24 hours.

For me personally, i'm probably done with keto forever. I've tried twice, and never felt good on it. But it works for alot of people, there's not disputing that!

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Thanks for the replies guys. I will weigh myself on Saturday morning again and see what the situation really is. It's probably just water weight from the reload, but I will keep it more strict from here on out to see if I can resolve this. I can't really see how I could've put on any actual fat, especially since I'm dieting with quite a deficit (although I know this is not recommended...but my strength hasn't gone down at all, so...). I'm at 2000 cals/day. I will keep everyone posted, and chime in again early next week after my next refeed!!

Thanks again!!

Good luck bro.

GetSwole83 is offline Associate Member
    I think pyschological aspects are under addressed. I agree with gb...if you think you just ate sh#$...you feel like sh#$

Choppers is offline Associate Member
    or maybe your stomach adjusting to a big meal again?

I try and stick with good carbs on the refuel if you can. I have done the sugar thing and regretted it afterwards and its so unsatisfying and your hungry again 30 mins later. Besides some nice brown rice, a baked potato or even white pasta is not the end of the world if you've been disciplined in the days beforehand. Perhaps try and eat moderate portion of carbs through the day rather than cramming it into a meal or two.

I always try and be sensible too and not go OTT with the refuel.

I think your metabolism needs it after a keto week.

A lot of the Keto depends on the individual and their own physiology. Some people cant hack it and get tired. I normally have more energy but crash on a Thurs and pick up again on a Fri. It really depends so tinker with the fine details, retain the major important bits and see what works for you and what doesn't. Theres an element of trial and error here.

Thread Information