Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    fattymcbutterpants is offline Senior Member

210-220 by december

ok my current stats are:
    18yo college freshman
    194lbs true weight i think (when i am in the gym with a little food on the stomach i weigh about 196.5-200)
    6'5"
    6-7% bf my abs are very defined\
    my goal is to weigh 210-220 by end of december

Ok so for the past 4 weeks roughly this has been my approximate diet. I have gained maybe a lb or two and I feel like its not enough for my diet, not sure of exact nutrient info but rough estimate based on the papers they have above cafeteria food:

Breakfast 7am:
    5-8 eggs
    2 cups of grits
    a cup of hashbrowns
    2-4 pieces of bacon
    apple or banana

Breakfast 2 9-10am(im very rushed on this):
    3-4 eggs
    grits

Lunch 1 11am:
    main course beef brisket or some type of meat: about 30-40g of protein
    corn
    greenbeans
    broccoli
    baked macaroni
    Tilapia fish-20g of protein
    essentially 2 very full plates of food

Lunch 2 1-2pm:
    approximately the same thing as lunch 1

Dinner 1 4-5pm:
    Philly cheesesteak
    normally all the same type stuff as in my lunch

workout....

Weight gainer- 50g protein, 75g of carbs

Dinner 2 8-9pm:
    another 2 plates

and occasionally i finish the night off with 2 double cheeseburgers and a strawberry milkshake from BK
    .................................................. .....

Ok so i know this is an extremely rough and broad diet i just kinda wanted to get the point across of how much I am eating. I do a 5 day split working out as well and i know what I'm doing as far as that all goes. In march at 185lbs i was benching 330. repping out 205 on barbell shoulder press, broke my L5 so squats and deadlifts were out of the question lol but i was doing weighted pullups as well. I'm not saying that trying to brag by any means i know there are some insanely strong guys on here just kinda saying i know what I am doing.

But any advice on how to pack me on some lbs? I slacked off over the summer and lost alot of weight and strength mainly due to my injured back not healing but now i am trying to go hard. still no squats and deadlift but i workout my legs and lower back still of course just carefully.

But what can I do.....i need to pack on some lbs, clearly you can tell i have a high metabolism i stay very lean off high calories.

Anyways thanks guys and if you have any more questions feel free to ask and sorry again for the very rough diet

thanks,
    fatty

Cousinbutch is offline Associate Member
    Cottage cheese (or casein) before bed, I think that's one of the most important dieting tools.

I used to mix up a shake of 50g of casein protein and 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream, peanut butter, 2 raw eggs and some other stuff right before bed. it was pretty tasty lol i might try doing that i just havent since ive been at school its a little harder doing that in a dorm

i just bought a gallon of vitamin d milk, jar of Peanut butter, and a loaf of wheat bread im gonna add that into everything and see what the extra calories do

Cousinbutch is offline Associate Member
    I'd probably leave out the ice cream, but if it doesn't stop you from sleeping then I guess have at it.

If you don't have cottage cheese or casein then milk before bed is a decent sub I believe. The protein is 80% casein 20% whey, so you might want to drink quiet a bit.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by fattymcbutterpants View Post
    i just bought a gallon of vitamin d milk, jar of Peanut butter, and a loaf of wheat bread im gonna add that into everything and see what the extra calories do
    Should do a good job of adding bodyfat.

gbrice lol i am not too worried about the adding bodyfat if you check my current stats and the fact ive been eating like this the past 4 weeks and hardly gained any bodyfat its not a major concern. I know ive gained a little bf but not much it takes a ton to put it on me

Blog Entries
    just add that meal/snack earlyer in the day rather than at night if your worried about bf but in your case theres probably nothing to worry about your already so lean...

LBSOMEIRON is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Should do a good job of adding bodyfat.
    GB - I was thinking the same thing, but if this mo-fo (all good) is eating what he has posted, he's a friggn furnace and has genetics like no other.

Hey bro - keep pounding the meals like you've explained. 1 thing my guy does is finagle peanut butter according to how I look. Some weeks I'll have 2tb of pb with every meal...some, none.

It's easy to get down and it's an extra 200 calories a pop.

My next suggestion, you should be doing NO CARDIO. If you can walk, walk, if you can sit, even better - I want someone else doing your grocery shopping and/or you parking in the 'expected mother's' spaces.

Seriously, you are blessed....

ANother viable option is to drink a shake made with a cup of oats, milk and PB in between every meal.

We're all jealous brother.....

Quote Originally Posted by LBSOMEIRON View Post
    GB - I was thinking the same thing, but if this mo-fo (all good) is eating what he has posted, he's a friggn furnace and has genetics like no other.

We're all jealous brother.....
    x2!!! OP, I hate you! =)

ok my current stats are:
    18yo college freshman
    194lbs true weight i think (when i am in the gym with a little food on the stomach i weigh about 196.5-200)
    6'5"
    6-7% bf my abs are very defined\
    my goal is to weigh 210-220 by end of december

ok so for the past 4 weeks roughly this has been my approximate diet. I have gained maybe a lb or two and i feel like its not enough for my diet, not sure of exact nutrient info but rough estimate based on the papers they have above cafeteria food:

Breakfast 7am:
    5-8 eggs (are these all full eggs? Go 2-3 full and a dozen whites) i want to see more protein here)2 cups of grits - cooked? If it's dry, you are an animal
    a cup of hashbrowns - whatever
    2-4 pieces of bacon -see above
    apple or banana - drop the apple and eat two bananas
    add 2 tb of pb - i sggest losng the bacon - just me

breakfast 2 9-10am(im very rushed on this):
    3-4 eggs
    grits
    go 1 cup dry oats, whole milk, 2-3-4tb of peanut butter - shake

lunch 1 11am:
    Main course beef brisket or some type of meat: About 30-40g of protein
    corn
    greenbeans
    broccoli
    baked macaroni
    tilapia fish-20g of protein
    essentially 2 very full plates of food

(1lb of lean ground beef, 1-2 cups of rice, veggies are fine but don't fill up on them)

lunch 2 1-2pm:
    Approximately the same thing as lunch 1
    (same)

dinner 1 4-5pm:
    Philly cheesesteak
    normally all the same type stuff as in my lunch
    (same)

workout....

Weight gainer- 50g protein, 75g of carbs
    (double the carbs - 75g from dextrose, 75 from oats)

dinner 2 8-9pm:
    Another 2 plates
    eggs, steak, or ground beef, another 2 cups of rice, two tb pb

and occasionally i finish the night off with 2 double cheeseburgers and a strawberry milkshake from bk - can't comment
    .................................................. .....

Ok so i know this is an extremely rough and broad diet i just kinda wanted to get the point across of how much i am eating. I do a 5 day split working out as well and i know what i'm doing as far as that all goes. In march at 185lbs i was benching 330. Repping out 205 on barbell shoulder press, broke my l5 so squats and deadlifts were out of the question lol but i was doing weighted pullups as well. I'm not saying that trying to brag by any means i know there are some insanely strong guys on here just kinda saying i know what i am doing.

But any advice on how to pack me on some lbs? I slacked off over the summer and lost alot of weight and strength mainly due to my injured back not healing but now i am trying to go hard. Still no squats and deadlift but i workout my legs and lower back still of course just carefully.

But what can i do.....i need to pack on some lbs, clearly you can tell i have a high metabolism i stay very lean off high calories.

Anyways thanks guys and if you have any more questions feel free to ask and sorry again for the very rough diet

thanks,
    fatty

go...

thanks for anwering back guys
    LBSOMEIRON- I'm gonna try to start squeezing in 2pb sandwhiches on whole wheat bread throughout the day to see how that helps, and as far as cardio goes I walk to class all over campus for classes with like a 20lb backpack but thats about it and i walk to the cafeteria about 5 times lol but other than that I dont do anything in the gym for cardio. Oh and my friends occasionally get me to play basketball with them if they need a tall guy.

I'm gonna start adding in the pb and drinking lots of milk to see what happens, and thanks for all the compliments on genetics guys lol but it sucks not being able to pack on weight very easily, just being very lean is the good part. Also doesnt really affect this much but I will admit I have taken mdrol before several months ago and a test cycle when i was an infant lol no but i was way too young it was like freshman year of highschool it was extremely stupid and i know that now

I honestly didnt eat my normal amount as posted above today. I didnt have that great of a day, I overslept and had stuff going on and just didnt have time to eat quite as much. but when I went to the weightroom tonight i was 199.5 and gulped some water then got back on and it was 200 lol, just had to see the numbers was all it makes me happy. But im thinking I might have gained a little weight this week possibly since I didnt eat quite as much as usual but weighed that much. but I am finishing up my night with about 24 ounces of milk

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Honestly I can eat just like you and will not gain much bf, but I will lose muscle very quickly settling down at a good 135... Light as a feather. Because you have genetics that seem like mine, I would suggest eating healthier. I know ice cream can add calories but I don't believe it will add muscle.

Judging by your diet you are subject to the cafeteria food only right? You have a fridge or oven and some cash for food? I think if you added some clean calories to your shitty ones you would see much better progress.

Keep in mind eating 6 eggs and grits sounds good, but cafeteria food is not the nutrient dense form we are used to. The food that comes out of there is highly processed and is garbage. Be glad you don't get fat from the lack of clean cals, but try to figure out a way to get some decent meals in. I figure with food from bk or in n out or other places, you get 1/2 the nutrients you think you get and 2x the fat. There is much that we don't understand about these foods too. Go watch super size me if you haven't seen it. simplified view of what it can do and how quickly it can do it.

Twist, thanks for the reply back. I actually havent been eating ice cream I was just saying I had included that in this shake I used to make and was considering doing it again. But i have a refrigerator and a microwave but hardly any cash. When your school is in a small town but has about 18,000 students, jobs fill up quickly lol so I am still looking for one. SO I am pretty much limited to the cafeteria and the union which is like chickfila and stuff but i hardly ever go in there except for getting like a philly cheesesteak or the occasional chickfila visit.

But yea I try to do the best I can in the cafeteria they have nutritional facts listed which kinda help me keep tabs on thing but it is in the south and a kitchen full of older black women so they do some good cooking lol. But I am going to try to start going with more fish and chicken for my protein plus the vegetables and normal carbs to see if that helps.

Another question, do you all think a pretty lean 210-220 is obtainable by december? I think it is, i'm not talking like ripped or anything tho lol just lean. Just looking for some input.

Thanks guys

When it comes to muscle gain there is no dramatic technique or quick fix that will allow you to pack on more muscle naturally. It's better to stay focused and realistic by training hard, eating meticulously and spending time to recuperate properly; this will result in your achieving a more muscular physique. Keep in mind that it's physiologically impossible to gain more than one pound of lean muscle per week.
    For most weight-gainers, .5 pounds per week would be an even more realistic goal as they reach their genetic limit. Remember that gaining muscle is a long-term project and not something that can be simply turned on. If you're dedicated and diligent in your efforts, you'll not be disappointed

thats kinda what I was looking for LBSOMEIRON as far as the amount of muscle that can be gained in a week. I've been kinda trying to figure out about where I should be at based on that. And also trying to figure out whats possible as far as gaining goes. I just wanted to see how obtainable my goals are. Oh and i started taking cellmass but I've got some pure creatine monohydrate i took kind of regularly but i'm seeing if i notice much difference with this

fatty - I'm not suggesting you 'forget' your goal, but I would say don't obsess over it and instead just focus on doing your very best. When December rolls around, even if you're not there but are closer and better then before, that's still progress.

I'm in the same (but opposite) boat; my goal is 10% bodyfat, and I keep that in the back of my head but i'm not focused on hitting it. Instead, i'm focused on dropping as much bodyfat as I possibly can before the new year. If that gets me to 12%, so be it. If reach < 10%, wonderful!!!

yea, it just gives me something to look forward to I kind of use it as motivation. That was kind of my thinking because my original plan back in march or april was to be at about 220 in december and be benching 365. But around the beginning of summer i got a bad case of tendonitus and had a broken vertebrae and 3 ribs so that definately set me back I dropped alot of weight and strength very quickly which always is discouraging.
    But basically my plan all summer was as soon as school got here hopefully my back and elbows would be better so I could go hard, i always have worked out really hard and used alot of strength techniques thats how I got so strong. But now I'm looking more for size, but dont get me wrong ill take me some strength all day long. Putting 3 plates on bench makes me smile lol.
    But basically my more realistic goal now is im shooting for a leaner 210 by the end of december, I feel like thats pretty doable. I think I have right at 15 weeks until December 31st so thats my goals for motivation
    Last edited by fattymcbutterpants; 09-17-2010 at 02:23 PM.

yea, it just gives me something to look forward to I kind of use it as motivation. That was kind of my thinking because my original plan back in march or april was to be at about 220 in december and be benching 365. But around the beginning of summer i got a bad case of tendonitus and had a broken vertebrae and 3 ribs so that definately set me back I dropped alot of weight and strength very quickly which always is discouraging.
    But basically my plan all summer was as soon as school got here hopefully my back and elbows would be better so I could go hard, i always have worked out really hard and used alot of strength techniques thats how I got so strong. But now I'm looking more for size, but dont get me wrong ill take me some strength all day long. Putting 3 plates on bench makes me smile lol.
    But basically my more realistic goal now is im shooting for a leaner 210 by the end of december, I feel like thats pretty doable. I think I have right at 15 weeks until December 31st so thats my goals for motivation
    I'm going to agree with GB on this.

The scale and your strenth have zero relevance unless you are trying to be a strongman.

My trainer's line which I live and die by 'It's not how much you bench, it's how much you LOOK like you can bench'

Haha yea I understand where your coming from on the its not how much you bench its how much you look like you bench, but I like being strong i mean I want size but i dont wanna be that guy that looks big but cant lift anything. I like being able to pick my girl up like its nothing and if anything ever happens I like being able to back myself up. Anytime i've gotten in a fight the past year or so I have always shocked and beaten the other guy because they dont expect me to have near the power I do. They come in thinking they are gonna whoop me and then I show them I'm not just some tall skinny guy. I know that strength only is a small part but being strong and fast definately helps.

But nonetheless Im not saying I want to be doing powerlifting competitions or anything I just want to be strong and big but I'm sure i'll keep getting stronger if I workout hard for size and everything. I just kind of want an even balance. I know its my ego but damn it feels good to have arms several inches smaller than guys and walk up and be throwing up alot more weight than them on everything and have them say stuff to me about being strong.

Thinking of that I forgot to post up my arms are somewhere between 14-15" they have been a little bigger before and went down when I lost some weight but im working on them more now than before because I want them to be bigger.

But all in all I just kind of want an even balance between weight and strength because I'm not trying to be a powerlifter nor a bodybuilder. Not to say if I got big enough in time I wouldnt compete in some next november in the teen division but really I am just looking to build some more size and strength

Oh and LBSOMEIRON and gbrice I will definately give you credit you both look like you could bench a small house lol.
    Oh and by the way I appreciate you all helping out on here and everything I just was kinda looking for some input and advice and everything.

Also I forgot to mention this earlier, I know the answer will be dont do it lol, but I have a pretty extensive knowledge of insulin and diabetes in general. I'm no doctor but I know alot about it and everything for a few reasons, you can PM me if you wanna know. I have a very large quantity of it lol, I dont use it nor do I sell it it just happened to fall into my hands. But is that a definate no go on using it? I know all about hypoglycemia and on top of my knowledge as far as diabetes go I've looked up alot of information as far as using it for bodybuilding. Just wondering what you all had to say about that, I know its very dangerous if used improperly and for advanced bodybuilders but just wondering what you all had to say

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    i'm sorry guys, but am i the only person reading this thread and thinking to himself the following:

1. He is 18, of course he is going to burn through food like a furnace.. didn't we all at that age..

2. Not gaining any noticeable gains in only 4 weeks at your age at only 200lbs is to be expected??

I mean.. at his age/weight ( i was 220 lbs benching 315lbs x8 at 18) my weight fluctuated over 5-7 lbs a day depending on when i weighed myself... thus i weighed anywhere from 215-225lbs depending on when i weighed myself and what i did that day??? etc..

to the OP.. I would recomend adding a casiene shake to your diet and make sure that you focus on eating the right things at the right times.. i.e. keep your diet where it is and just make sure you add a protien shake (with milk) after every work out and before bed every day.. that should add an extra 100g protien a day.. which should equate to an extera 1 lb every two weeks.. to expect any more than those kind of gains naturally is absurd.

Thanks for the input machine 5150, next time I go home I will pick up some casein protein that I had left over at my house and I might go to walmart and buy some of that cheap whey protein they have there to add in to everything i might drink 2 scoops of whey first thing in the a.m. my normal weight gainer after I workout, and then 2 scoops of casein before bed or just alot of milk lol. Thats a good bit of shakes but I feel like I'm still getting most of my nutrients for food so it should be ok to try out for a few weeks

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    i find it is more realistic to eat as much as you can and pack on the pounds with protien powder than try to force feed yourself food that will be difficult ot keep up with.. Eat as much as you can fit in your stomach.. and then drink a protien shake.. thats my method..

I like your thinking lol, i'm gonna see what I can do. I need to get another protein shaker and dishwashing soap because chocolate protein in a mixer starts to smell funny after its been used a few times even with a good hand rinsing lol. But as soon as I can get enough money i'll go to walmart and get some of that cheap protein and see what i can do

Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE5150 View Post
    i'm sorry guys, but am i the only person reading this thread and thinking to himself the following:

1. He is 18, of course he is going to burn through food like a furnace.. didn't we all at that age..

2. Not gaining any noticeable gains in only 4 weeks at your age at only 200lbs is to be expected??

I mean.. at his age/weight ( i was 220 lbs benching 315lbs x8 at 18) my weight fluctuated over 5-7 lbs a day depending on when i weighed myself... thus i weighed anywhere from 215-225lbs depending on when i weighed myself and what i did that day??? etc..

to the OP.. I would recomend adding a casiene shake to your diet and make sure that you focus on eating the right things at the right times.. i.e. keep your diet where it is and just make sure you add a protien shake (with milk) after every work out and before bed every day.. that should add an extra 100g protien a day.. which should equate to an extera 1 lb every two weeks.. to expect any more than those kind of gains naturally is absurd.
    his diet has burger king and ice cream in it and your advice to him is to "keep your diet where it is and just make sure you add a protein shake"

I like your thinking lol, i'm gonna see what I can do. I need to get another protein shaker and dishwashing soap because chocolate protein in a mixer starts to smell funny after its been used a few times even with a good hand rinsing lol. But as soon as I can get enough money i'll go to walmart and get some of that cheap protein and see what i can do
    The guy above knows nothing. I would disregard everything he has to say. Spend your money on food, shakes are not the best alternative. Add calories with rice and chicken and drink shakes when you NEED to. If a shake is the only way you can add calories, do it. But otherwise stick to food.

Insulin is a bad idea. No need for that. Once you figure out your body start adding compounds but until then it is a waste.

Also if you are naturally strong and lean, when you get bigger your strength will grow too. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

hey easy on the ice cream bashing guys haha I said I USED to make a weight gainer shake with two scoops added in to make it more like a milkshake and just add some calories, it was fat free vanilla ice cream lol. and the BK isnt that often just a couple nights when i'm hungry late at night its right next to my dorm and everything is closed but I've just been drinking milk and making the pb sandwhiches on whole wheat instead.

But yea i understand Twist on the insulin I just didnt know since the side effects arent really existent as long as you know what you are doing and everything. I just didnt know since it really helps your body absorb alot more out of the food and shakes and stuff PWO. But yea I try working on strength a little like i'll do an exercise with rep and set ranges more focused on strength then the rest of the workout do mainly size work. For example do some heavy barbell benching then do higher rep dumbell incline or vice versa.

Also as far as working out my split is:
    Mon-Chest
    Tues-Shoulders
    Wed-Back
    Thurs-Legs
    Fri- Arms (just started doing friday as arms, I used to do a finisher kind of for the weekend like bench and do anything I felt like I needed to work on)

But so I know I get some work on my triceps and biceps on chest and back day and i normally end up doing just a little individual work on both on those day. Like i'll do some pressdowns and stuff on chest day or dips but not much I focus on the main muscle group for the day.

But so for friday, for triceps today i did
    close grip bench-4x7
    Tricep Pressdowns-3x10
    Reverse grip tricep pressdowns 3x10 (These felt soooo good i did them on the lat pulldown machine and i really focused on the squeeze at the bottom)
    Biceps
    Straight bar curls 3x8-12
    Reverse curls 3x10
    and i did some dumbell and hammer curls to finish up my biceps
    Oh and before I left I did some overhead tricep extensions just to get that last little bit in. I never feel like leaving I always get so into it in the gym

Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE5150 View Post

This post worries me and I too suggest leaving it alone.

Most importantly, if your weight has a 10lbs swing a day, I suggest medical help. Either you are pregnant, or your kidneys are completely shot.

To reccomend a casein and tell him it's going to add a lb every two weeks is asinine.

The ONLY reason you should be taking a shake is to act as a filler between meals or you are completely pushed for time. AND I suggest a good protein, oats and Peanut butter shake.

You are on a budget - I forget, are you in the dorms? No access to a stove?

I agree with Twist and LB.... bad advice to simply add shakes to an already poor diet and expect to see gains. Use the info below, courtesy of Damienm05 to educate yourself on proper diet and nutrition. You should be able to come up with a decent diet using this as a guide:

BMR/TDEE formula:

Let’s start with BMR. This is your Basal Metabolic Rate. AKA – how many calories you burn each day by just sitting on your ass. In order to figure out your BMR, you need to know what your lean body mass is. In turn, you need to know what your body fat percentage is.

If you don’t know your body fat percentage, go to your gym and get tested (please don’t use electronic scales to get your bf % checked, they're horrible). If you don’t have a gym that offers this service; ask me and I’ll give you a pretty good estimate.

With your bf % in hand, here’s the formula:

BMR (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

Total weight x bf % in decimal form = total bf weight

Total weight - total bf weight = total lean body mass

For example:

I am 6'1 210 lbs at 10% body fat... so I would multiply 210 by .10 (converted from percent to decimal) = 21 lbs
    210 – 21 = 189 lbs lean body weight

189 / 2.2 = 86.0 lean mass in kg

370 + (21.6 x 86) = 2227.6 BMR (this is high for the average person)

Now that we have a BMR figure, we can move on to TDEE. Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is how many calories we actually use during the day via our BMR and activities such as work, exercise and various tasks. We can figure this number out with simple math but be honest because this figure is to be the cornerstone of your diet and healthy lifestyle. We need to determine your activity level. We’ll choose from a few levels:

§ If you are sedentary (little or no exercise): Calorie - Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    § If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    § If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    § If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    § If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

For example:

I train with weights 5 days for 90 minutes per week. I play hockey three times per week
    for 90 minutes. I do 60 minutes of cardio training 5 times per week as well. I also practice my sport 3 times per week for 90 minutes. Either via skating or puck/shooting drills. All are high-intensity. I am between very and extra active. Let’s say BMR x 1.8. My TDEE is 4010.

In terms of food choices, here goes:

I love analogies. Let’s use a good one. Think of your perfect body as a house that you must build. You’ve figured out your BMR and TDEE, so you know the exact specs of the property you have to work with. You know how exercise affects weight loss and how much of a caloric deficit/surplus we must create to lose/gain said weight; so you know how to build - you understand architecture. You also know the pace you intend on losing/gaining weight at based on these other factors, so you know it will be harder to get your house built in weeks as opposed to months. The only thing left is the tools/building material you must use and because you don’t know how to eat, you still can’t build anything. At least, not well. Sure, you can starve yourself for a few months but you’ll just gain all the weight back in a couple weeks of binge drinking and shitty eating on a vacation – you’re house will fall down!

So, let’s talk tools baby. Let’s talk food. First off, there are only 3 types of foods/macronutrients. Protein. Carbohydrates. Fat. That’s it.

Protein – 4 calories per gram - Building material. Bricks. You can’t gain energy from protein, you can only use it to build muscle/skin/hair/nails. It’s basically just amino acids and it’s what our bodies are made of. As such, we need lots of it. 1g of protein per body lb is a good number to shoot for . Go as high as 2g per body lb if you’re lifting weights and trying to build muscle. For example, I am 207 lbs and I eat between 300-400 grams per day. Our body can only break down so much at one time however, so we want to eat 20-40 grams of protein in every meal, several times per day. Protein, being building material only and not energy/labor – the body can rarely find a reason for it to be stored as fat. If you must over-eat – make it lean meat/fish.

Carbs – 4 calories per gram - Think of these as human labor for your house. Think of sugar as dudes you pick up out front of home depot and oatmeal as a skilled carpenter. Both are carbs, both serve very different purposes. Carbs help transport essential nutrients to the muscles, create glycogen stores, and as such, increase protein synthesis but do not build muscle; they are simply an energy source. As such, they should only be eaten/used when we need energy. Any carbs we ingest before bed or before watching a movie, or something sedentary are not used as energy, and as such, are more likely to be stored in the body as glycogen (glucose/water in our muscles that we will use when doing high-intensity exercise). Once our glycogen reserves are full, they will spill over and be stored as fat. Yes, they will make you fat. Carbs can be your best friend or your worst enemy.

Fats – 9 calories per gram - Like carbs, fats are an energy source, not a building material like protein. They provide nowhere near as much energy as carbs however. Ask anyone who's on a ketogenic diet. With regard to our house, think of fats as the glue/cement. They provide much needed essential fatty acids, which are great for joint/organ health and increase our protein synthesis. Going back to our analogy, cement/glue increases the effectiveness of bricks! If we give our bodies the right fats, it will be able to burn stored body fat quickly as it won’t see any use in keeping it. Remember, like carbs – not all fat is good and ALL fat is high in calories so watch out. A tablespoon of peanut butter can be a good addition to a meal. Snacking on 5-6 tablespoons, however, means you’ve just eaten over your TDEE for the day.

Acceptable proteins for your healthy lifestyle diet:

The goal is to eat lean protein. Meats/other sources low in fat/carbs.

§ Ground beef (93% lean or better)
    § Lean steak (Flank, flat iron, or top sirloin)
    § Bison sirloin (the highest quality red meat)
    § Chicken breast
    § Turkey breast
    § Tuna (canned or sushi grade)
    § Salmon
    § Tilapia (mostly all white fish)
    § All shellfish
    § Venison
    § Whey protein (post-workout recovery purposes only)
    § Casein/Cottage cheese (before bed only)

Black-List Protein sources. Do not eat these because they are high in fat. And not the
    good kind we find in nuts and olive oil – I’m talking about cholesterol raising saturated
    fat!

§ Bacon
    § Sausage
    § Expensive fat-marbled Steaks (Ribeye, Strip, Filet)
    § Pork and beef ribs
    § Pork/Lamb chops
    § Restaurant ground beef (80/20 fat – most burgers)
    § Duck
    § Chicken legs/thighs
    § Chicken skin
    § Cheese

Acceptable Carbs for your healthy lifestlyle:

Complex carbs are now your creed. These are slower-digesting, natural, low on the glycemic index carbohydrates that digest slowly and provide us with sustained energy. They do not drastically affect our blood sugar and do not cause insulin spikes. Thus our body sees no reason to store them as fat, it would rather burn them for energy. Simple carbs such as enriched white breads/pastas/rice/potatoes/sugars (including most fruit) cause insulin spikes and are high GI foods. They should not be eaten when on a strict diet. Fruit can be consumed early in the day or pre/post-workout because of it’s high nutritional value but should usually be avoided due to being a form of simple sugar. Remember, healthy, low-calorie foods aren’t always the correct foods and such is the case with fruit.

§ Oats/Oatmeal
    § Grits/Cornmeal
    § Unsalted/non-buttered popcorn (great, low-cal snack)
    § Sweet potato (the best choice)
    § Butternut squash
    § Whole wheat pasta (not enriched)
    § Organic whole wheat bread (not enriched wonder bread crap)
    § Brown rice
    § Ezekiel bread
    § Swedish grain bread
    § Gluten free bread
    § Wheat couscous
    § Corn
    § Quinoa
    § Lentils
    § Beans
    § Many more, look up the GI (glycemic index) for healthy choices

Black List:

§ White pasta
    § White bread
    § Baguette
    § Bagels
    § Cookies, cake, muffins, cupcakes, all sweets basically.
    § White couscous
    § White rice
    § You get the idea…

Don’t get discouraged upon reading this list. I still make desserts all the time with whole
    grain flour and splenda. I buy bagels and baguettes at the health food store that use
    complex carbs as a base. If you’re dedicated, you don’t have to miss out 100%

Acceptable fats for your healthy lifestyle:

We look for fat sources that are high in omega-3, 6, and 9 fatty acids. Also, many are high in protein. We do not want saturated fats such as butter, cream, meat fat. We don’t want test tube fats like trans (the worst). We want mono/polyunsaturated fats that our body can use for something other than calories. Remember, even good fats are high in calories.

§ Natural peanut butter (no sugar added, just roasted peanuts)
    § Natural almond butter
    § Cashews
    § Almonds
    § Peanuts
    § Flax seeds
    § Flax seed oil
    § Salmon and Trout (great fatty proteins)
    § Fish oil
    § Extra virgin olive oil (should be used on all veggies/salads)
    § Chia seeds
    § Grapeseed oil
    § Macadamia nut oil

Acceptable miscellaneous foods:

These foods don’t provide much as far as macronutrients but are great for adding vitamins/minerals and taste. Notice some of these other foods are dairy. Dairy is another animal’s milk. We lack the enzymes to digest it as they do and it’s high in fat/sugar. It should only be eaten early in the day for nutrient purposes with the exception of whey and casein (cottage cheese).

§ Skim milk (Hood brand is only 45 calories and 3g of sugar per cup)
    § Greek yogurt (no sugar added)
    § Berries (all berries are much lower in sugar than other fruits and packed with fiber/nutrients – eat berries)
    § Green Vegetables. These are technically carbs but they are packed with fiber (a type of carb that isn’t used as energy or stored). In bodybuilding/nutrition – we refer to most vegetables as fibrous carbohydrates. While a serving of Broccoli may have 6g of carbs, 5 are from fiber. Meaning that it contains only 1g of storable carbohydrates. In addition, green vegetables are a calorie neutral/negative food (our body uses more calories to digest them than they contain – think celery). Veggies should be eaten with every meal. Every day. If you do this, you can become almost impervious to getting sick. Some vegetables are better than others for healthy diets.
    § Many non-green vegetables. Most are fine – just check labels, some have a good bit of sugar and should be eaten in moderation only (carrots)

LBSOMEIRON yea im definately on a budget as I still havent found a job its not a big town but its a very big school so it makes things difficult and I live in a dorm so im pretty much limited to a microwave and a refrigerator. I can occasionally go to my sisters apartment too when she is home but that isnt all the time.

and GBRICE im gonna figure all that up in just a minute thanks for all that

Ok I just figured it up and i'm right at like 3700calories according to that saying im in the very active category

You want to start at the calories you are at now and up it relatively slowly to avoid fat gain.

My suggestion to you (and only you) is to just eat and eat often. I think adding a little fat will do you justice. At that point, you know where your threshold is. Dieting is 100x easier than gain mass, for your group. You'll be able to strip bodyfat in a matter of weeks.

College is where I built my foundation. I didn't know jack sheet about nutrition. I trained hard and I ate harder. I went from 180 to 235 and sure I gained some fat, but I got stronger than a bull.

By the time I was a seņor, I understood the game, dieted and came out at a good 220 and 8% bf.

You've asked the questions. You know what you need to do. Make wise food choices and kill the calories. Trust me, the size will come.

Alright thanks for all the advice guys I'm just gonna keep trying to eat everything in sight thats somewhat healthy at least i dont mean junk food or anything lol i realy dont even like most junk food but I'm not too worried about the fat gain i'm thinking I can suck it up and lose the abs a little for a couple months to bulk up its definately worth it then it wont take me long to cut back up so i'm gonna see how it goes just keep going hard and see where it gets me.

Thanks for all the input

Ishallnocheatmyself is offline Associate Member
    hey i know what its like in a dorm or housing like that, if u have access to your sisters than make meals ahead of time.. coook some chicken up and organise some meals and then container them and take them home and jus microwave.

Alright thanks for all the advice guys I'm just gonna keep trying to eat everything in sight thats somewhat healthy at least i dont mean junk food or anything lol i realy dont even like most junk food but I'm not too worried about the fat gain i'm thinking I can suck it up and lose the abs a little for a couple months to bulk up its definately worth it then it wont take me long to cut back up so i'm gonna see how it goes just keep going hard and see where it gets me.

Thanks for all the input
    It's easy bro - you hang out on campus and see what girls are driving what cars and what girls live in houses and apts.

From there, you make your move and before you know it, you meals will be prepared for you and your cooking concerns washed.

I realize you may have to bit the bullet and hook up with a gernade, but what really is more important?

haha thats funny but no man I got a gf, so i'll just stick with my sisters apartment. As soon as I can get a job I'll start putting alot more money towards some food

haha thats funny but no man I got a gf, so i'll just stick with my sisters apartment. As soon as I can get a job I'll start putting alot more money towards some food
    Yeah and since you got a girl you don't have to worry about the abs disappearing now haha.

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    You could get to 210-220 by the end of December............

Your frame and body type requires more food than you could ever comprehend eating in one day if you want to get there naturally. It might happen over time, but not in a few months. You might hate that metabolism now but in 10 years you will be loving it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information