Thread: Oats Question

danielli is offline Associate Member

Question Oats Question

Like a lot of guys on the forum, I mix up some whole grain oats into my pre/pwo shakes. I've read a couple of threads where people will blend the oats into a powder to make the consistency of the shake a little better (if they don't like the shake, drink, chew, shake, drink, chew, method.)

I recently tried this and I liked the shake a lot more.

I hope this doesnt sound stupid, but does teh nutritional value of whole grain oats change if you blend them up into a powder? Doesn't part of what makes them a good lower gi carb source, come from the "whole grain" nature of the oats? If you blend it into a "powder" do you lose this?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    No, nothing changes. You aren't taking anything away from the oat (such as the case with white rice vs. brown rice), just changing it's consistency.

GoNoles99 is offline Junior Member
    I tried putting raw oats in my shake and it was a disaster, it probably took me 15 minutes to finish the thing because I kept running out of water and I had nothing but oats left in my bottle. I'm considering cooking the oats before I leave for the gym and just putting them in the bottle, no idea how that will turn out though.

Quote Originally Posted by GoNoles99 View Post
    I tried putting raw oats in my shake and it was a disaster, it probably took me 15 minutes to finish the thing because I kept running out of water and I had nothing but oats left in my bottle. I'm considering cooking the oats before I leave for the gym and just putting them in the bottle, no idea how that will turn out though.
    yeah - I hear ya. Try blending them....tehy mix much better with the whey scoops and water.

stang1 is offline New Member
    I've recently tried them with whey, post workout. No matter how long you blend them, you still end up crunching through what is left in the bottom of the cup. If it's best, I'll continue to crunch...

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    here's something i've been doing lately. after you cook your oats, THEN add a scoop of your protein powder for bfast. it gives it a pretty solid texture, and doesn't dilute if you decide to add a little milk.

stang1 is offline New Member
    FYI..I just did the post wo shake a bit ago. Ran the blender much longer and did not have to crunch as much...using steel cut oats 1/2 scoop raw.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stang1 View Post
    FYI..I just did the post wo shake a bit ago. Ran the blender much longer and did not have to crunch as much...using steel cut oats 1/2 scoop raw.
    I guess in theory you could powderize your oats in a food processor first, THEN put it in your PWO shake, then blend THAT for awhile. I suspect, there will always be left over at the bottom that needs to be chewed.

A coffee bean grinder did the trick for me. The "powdered" oats still measure pretty accurate - 1 level cup of whole oats came up just shy of 1 level cup powdered oats.

For me, no need to blend that any further once put into the shake. Just shake it before every gulp.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    If u bleand ur shake normally;

Put ur oats in first ( dry) and blend for a min

Then add ur other stuff
    Comes out fine

Choppers is offline Associate Member
    I find you can soak them in either a little hot water (just enough to cover them) or if you are less picky milk overnight in a bowl.

When you get to them on the morning, they are soft and more edible and great in shakes or with berries.

Thread Information