musclestack is offline Productive Member

please critique my keto diet

Okay, so I've decided to try a keto diet for a couple of months (CKD) to get down to single digit bodyfat. Please take a look, and tell me what you think. Many of you, I'm sure, will disagree with a keto diet when you look at my stats, but fat loss has slowed the last month, and I want to give it a try.

Stats:
    26 years old
    5'9"
    175 lbs.
    about 15%bf (guessing, while comparing myself to other members' pics)

Meal 1 (7:30AM)
    7 egg whites
    2 tbsp EVOO

Pro-28
    Carb-0
    Fat-28

Meal 2 (10:00AM)
    1 can tuna
    1 tbsp EVOO

Pro-24
    Carb-0
    Fat-14

Meal 3 (1:00PM)
    8 oz. chicken breast
    2 cups lettuce
    2 tbsp EVOO

Pro-25
    Carb-4
    Fat-30

Meal 4 (3:30PM)
    1 can tuna
    1 tbsp EVOO

Pro-24
    Carb-0
    Fat-14

Meal 5 (6:30PM)
    7 egg whites
    2 tbsp EVOO

Pro-28
    Carb-0
    Fat-28

PWO (8:00PM)
    1 scoop Whey Protein in water

Pro-22
    Carb-4
    Fat-2

Meal 6 (9:00PM)
    8 oz. chicken breast
    2 cups lettuce
    2 tbsp EVOO

Pro-25
    Carb-4
    Fat-30

total protein-176 grams
    total carbs-12 grams
    total fat-146 grams

It comes to 2066 total calories at 34% protein, 64% fat, and less than 1% carbs.

All of my carbs come in the form of lettuce and PWO shake. I know it's a lot of EVOO, but I don't want to eat whole eggs due to the fact that there is 1 gram of carbs in each egg. I'm trying to keep it as strict as possible. I will carb load on Sundays with about 500-600 grams of carbs, starting with high GI then tapering off to low GI.

My workout plan is 5 days a week, Mon-Fri. And cardio will be in the morning before meal 1 at 30 minutes low intensity, 4-5 days a week.

All of your advice is appreciated. Thank you!!

Anyone with some feedback?

richtries is offline Associate Member
    figures look pretty good mate, although I would substitute the lettuce with some asparagus or broccoli, you don't have any fibrous veggies in there. Fibre is key in weight loss programs, improving digestion, regulates blood sugar and lots of other health benefits. Some people suggest dropping the carb load as it can be counter productive, dave palumbo who is one of the main advocators of keto diets recommends just one cheat 'meal' per week. Food for thought . . .

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Diet looks pretty solid. I was gonna ask why no whole eggs, then I saw your explanation. Are you certain that 1g of carbs is all in the yolk?

I ran a CKD for a short period and didn't like it much. I agree with ritchies... you might want to look into the Palumbo diet. I found the carb load to be WAY too much... not to mention too scientific to follow in a practical manner.

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    what kinds of lettuce are you using in those salads? I'd switch to field greens, (dandelion, spinach, arugula). If you're not using them already.

Emperor9 is offline Associate Member
    use romaine instead of iceberg (not sure what your using) just in case . then dont go overboard on the cheat day. in fact the first few weeks i have no cheat meal even.

Thanks for the replies. Gbrice, I got all my information from livestrong.com; there, it says the carbs are only found in the yolks. The only reason I went with lettuce over brocolli is because, according to the information I got, brocolli has more carbs than lettuce...could be wrong. They both have negligible carbs anyway, so if you guys are recommending brocolli over lettuce then I will make the switch.

I haven't researched the Palumbo diet yet....will do so today. I've read TOP's CKD diet about a dozen times from beginning to end, and it looked pretty solid to me, although I will agree that the carb load there sounded to me like a bit much as well. That's why, instead of a longer carb load which he recommends, I decided to just plan it for one day (about a 10-12 hour period). Anyway, I am going to read up on Palumbo's keto diet, then see which one I'd prefer. I'm sure both are excellent fat loss diets; it most likely comes down to preferance. I know a lot of people here complain that the CKD diet is very hard to follow as far as being too scientific. From what I've read, it sounds very simple........maybe I'm missing something?? What did you find to be so difficult to understand/follow??

Thanks again for all the replies!

Does anyone have the link to the Palumbo diet?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post
    From what I've read, it sounds very simple........maybe I'm missing something?? What did you find to be so difficult to understand/follow??
    Firstly, I hated the idea of having to modify my workout routine to just work around the diet (i.e. the total body workouts, etc). I liked the routine I was running, but it's schedule wasn't in line with CKD.

Secondly, the carb loading was just way too much to think about. Start with simple liquid carbs, glucose disposal agents, etc - a few hours then taper to white carbs, then complex carbs, etc - I don't know about you, but diet consumes enough of my life, I didn't need it to be further complicated. Just the fact that some people were getting up in the middle of the night, every 3 hours to eat carbs - just not practical IMO.

Palumbo's diet is pretty simple. Keep your own workout routine, diet is about 65/35 protein/fat (almost exact opposite of CKD) and there is no carb load - only a single carb meal, usually eaten the night before a good heavy work (legs for instance). To me, it's must more conducive to fat loss. Now in all fairness, I ran a CKD and never did do Palumbo's diet, but a respected member on here has done it and had great results.

That's not to say CKD doesn't work. I know it's been great for some people, and it certainly worked wonders for TOP. It just wasn't for me.

bigcwithane is offline Member
    Why is your intake so low i have the same stats as you and to cut I need to eat 2300 cal. Also on the load day I've been getting around 600-700g carb I haven't completely followed the high to low gi thing and I am also only 16 hrs and sleeping so I eat Fri night then sleep then go sat morning to the afternoon. I just wanna make sure my stuff isn't all messed up before I get to far with it I'm 2 weeks in now

Thread Information