SomeRandomGuy is offline Associate Member

OMG, I need to stop eating tuna...

I eat an astronomical amount of canned tuna. White albacore, 7 oz cans. I probably eat 3-5/day.

I read this old thread about it on here:

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...na+and+mercury

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia says this:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) advise women of child-bearing age, nursing mothers, and young children to completely avoid swordfish, shark, king mackerel and tilefish from the Gulf of Mexico, (Golden Tilefish from the Mid- and North-Atlantic present no risk), to limit consumption of albacore ("white") tuna to no more than 6 oz (170 g) per week, and of all other fish and shellfish to no more than 12 oz (340 g) per week...

There is a long latent period between exposure to methylmercury and the appearance of symptoms in adult poisoning cases...
    Anyone have any insight into this? I'm gonna cut tuna out and only eat chicken and beef now. Sucks, too, because I could pound down 7oz tuna and 1/2cup oatmeal in 1 gulp...

Failure is offline Associate Member

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    I think there are better sources of protein than canned tuna, but I eat canned tuna a few times/wk as a source of protein.

Wild salmon, grass fed beef, chicken, turkey, whole eggs are most of my protein sources.

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    Any wild game/grass fed is the best. If you feel the need to cut it out, do so. There are plenty of other sources out there that deliver equal if not better results.

Flagg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    I eat an astronomical amount of canned tuna. White albacore, 7 oz cans. I probably eat 3-5/day.

I read this old thread about it on here:

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...na+and+mercury

Anyone have any insight into this? I'm gonna cut tuna out and only eat chicken and beef now. Sucks, too, because I could pound down 7oz tuna and 1/2cup oatmeal in 1 gulp...
    Not just tuna, but i'd be leary of eating anything that's been living in the gulf of mexico recently. Mecury is lipophilic (high affinity for fatty cells), and it's true that mercury does biomagnify as it goes up through the food chain, but it's probably riskier to eat things like whale or shark, that are higher up the food chain than tuna. What does concern me is OIL. Oil is also lipophilic, and you dont want any of that crap getting into your system.

afslc is offline New Member
    Hey bro I wouldnt sweat this one too hard, this means there is a chance that methylmercury could be contained in canned tuna. Just like there is always a chance of getting hit by lightning, but how many on this board have been hit my lightning? Your in the clear on this one id say, but if you really wanna make sure ask the doc if your poisoned with methylmercury.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Make sure you add NAC to help clear all the toxic heavy metals. I usually run a 6 month course every two years.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    This topic has been beaten to death. You'll find info saying it's a huge problem, and you'll also find the exact opposite.

If you're eating a few cans a week, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Thread Information