LGM
    LGM is offline Senior Member

Need a little feedback on the diet...

I'm almost 40, 6'4", and 285 or so. I'd like to drop to about 260 before starting to use gear; I'm about 15% bf right now.

I hate cardio, but do it 3 times a week, hiit, for maybe 15 minutes. I lift 2 days on, 1 off, 2 on, getting everything once a week.

Here's the diet:

6am: ON whey shake, 1 cup nonfat milk. Usually take 1000mg's of fish oils here too.

9am: ON Casein shake, with 1 cup steel cut oats, 1/4 cup blueberries or raspberries, half cup egg beaters nuked for 45 seconds, 1/5 cups nonfat milk and crushed ice.

11-12pm: Omelette with one egg, 1 cup egg beaters, 5 oz. chicken, 1 cup spinach leaves, 10 almonds or walnuts.

2:30pm Post workout shake, ON whey with nonfat milk, and half a gatorade. I may take a preworkout shake if I'm cycling my creatine then.

5:00pm: Orange Roughy or Tilapia, about 7-8 oz. Greenbeans, broccolli, or asparagus 1.5 cups.

8:00pm: Usually a casein shake with 2% milk, or I'll eat a cup of non-fat cottage cheese. The shake I usually kind of sip till I fall asleep, so it's like a 2 hour deal. lol.

That's it; sometimes I'll have a high carb cheat day about every 10 days or two weeks, and that usually means more fruits, or pizza.

So my question is, what do I need to do to get me to that next level with my diet?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by LGM;5375***
    I'm almost 40, 6'4", and 285 or so. I'd like to drop to about 260 before starting to use gear; I'm about 15% bf right now.

I hate cardio, but do it 3 times a week, hiit, for maybe 15 minutes. I lift 2 days on, 1 off, 2 on, getting everything once a week.

There's your first mistake. You're not doing NEARLY enough cardio if you wanna take this to the next level. And you say MAYBE 15 mins. Make it at least 30, and the more times/week, the better. I'd say 5x minimum.

Here's the diet:

6am: ON whey shake, 1 cup nonfat milk. Usually take 1000mg's of fish oils here too.

What kind of meal is this? Your next meal doesn't come for 3 hours and all you're eating is a whey shake which is digested in 30 mins? Keep the shake for quick protein to break your fast (sleep), but add 1/2 cup oats, add some berries if you like. Add 2 whole eggs an 4-6 whites. C'mon bro, make this a real meal! Drop the milk IMO, you don't need the extra sugar if you're trying to drop bodyfat

9am: ON Casein shake, with 1 cup steel cut oats, 1/4 cup blueberries or raspberries, half cup egg beaters nuked for 45 seconds, 1/5 cups nonfat milk and crushed ice.

This is what meal 1 should have looked like (except with whey or whey/casein blend). Having said that, it's a poor choice for a 2nd meal. Time for real food. Drop the casein shake and do 4-6oz lean protein. keep the oats and berries. drop teh milk

11-12pm: Omelette with one egg, 1 cup egg beaters, 5 oz. chicken, 1 cup spinach leaves, 10 almonds or walnuts.

Since this appears to be your pre workout meal, i'd drop the walnuts/almonds in favor of a good slow burning complex carb. Quinoa, brown rice, sweet potato, yam, lentils, beans, etc

2:30pm Post workout shake, ON whey with nonfat milk, and half a gatorade. I may take a preworkout shake if I'm cycling my creatine then.

Drop the milk, i'd drop the gatorade too. Go with 1/2 cup oats in our shake

5:00pm: Orange Roughy or Tilapia, about 7-8 oz. Greenbeans, broccolli, or asparagus 1.5 cups.

Finally a good meal!

8:00pm: Usually a casein shake with 2% milk, or I'll eat a cup of non-fat cottage cheese. The shake I usually kind of sip till I fall asleep, so it's like a 2 hour deal. lol.

drop the milk - WAYYYY too much milk and sugar in your diet, that's a big problem when you're trying to drop bodyfat, especially before bed. Casein shake is fine here, but use water. If you go with cottage cheese, go with full fat to help slow protein absorption. You can also do a lean steak here if you want. Don't take 2 hours, eat it up and then hit the pillow!

That's it; sometimes I'll have a high carb cheat day about every 10 days or two weeks, and that usually means more fruits, or pizza.

Hmm, fruits or pizza? that's a HUGE contrast, no? I'm willing to bet on which one you go with 9 times out of 10. =)

So my question is, what do I need to do to get me to that next level with my diet?

Change just about your entire diet
    Comments above in bold

LGM
    LGM is offline Senior Member
    HIIT training isn't supposed to be a long duration training thing. And I'm balls out sprinting during the cardio session; I'm not just jogging or walking. Unless you're saying that I should be doing that instead of HIIT?

The first shake isn't a meal; it's simply to help prevent/delay the catabolic process. I usually get up and have that, then back to bed till almost 9am.

I like the idea of the brown rice; I'll try that out next week.

Fruits and pizza isn't a huge contrast. I go thin crust, light cheese with veggies if I have it at all. I'm a freak for japanese sand pears, bannanas, figs, grapes, etc. If I have the pizza, it's only a few slices at night.

Thanks for the feedback; any other suggestions? I'll wait to update my morning shakes/meals till I hear back from you on the 6am shake thing.

Thanks for the help bro!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by LGM View Post
    HIIT training isn't supposed to be a long duration training thing. And I'm balls out sprinting during the cardio session; I'm not just jogging or walking. Unless you're saying that I should be doing that instead of HIIT?

I'm fine with HIIT, i'm not suggesting 'slow and steady' (although I think it works fine for fat loss as well), but I wouldn't consider 30 mins long duration. 15 mins is simply not enough cardio, HIIT or not. I don't think many people on this board are going to disagree with me on this. On top of that, 3 days a week isn't enough either. It's enough for somebody trying to drop from a high body fat to a 'normal' bodyfat, for somebody looking to go from 15% to 10% (or whatever your goal), it requires more. Bro, I hate cardio too, TRUST me. That's why I started taking spin class. It's relatively high intensity, it's an hour long, and it's easier and less boring then the same ol' treadmill/elliptical/stepmill deal. Try it if you can! The broads in the class don't hurt either for motivation!

The first shake isn't a meal; it's simply to help prevent/delay the catabolic process. I usually get up and have that, then back to bed till almost 9am.

I don't have a problem with the shake being your first meal, it's the first thing I eat when I get up as well. What I DO have a problem with is that you aren't getting real food in for another 3 hours, and that shake is good for about 30 mins. Use the shake to break catabolism, fine, but it's not a meal. You follow?

I like the idea of the brown rice; I'll try that out next week.

Fruits and pizza isn't a huge contrast. I go thin crust, light cheese with veggies if I have it at all. I'm a freak for japanese sand pears, bannanas, figs, grapes, etc. If I have the pizza, it's only a few slices at night.

God bless you for fruit being your guilty pleasure! Wish I had that problem! Unfortunately, I like M&M's better!

Thanks for the feedback; any other suggestions? I'll wait to update my morning shakes/meals till I hear back from you on the 6am shake thing.

That's it for now

Thanks for the help bro!
    NP, comments above in bold.

Thread Information