Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Old guy making a comeback...

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Energy hasn't been an issue, yet.

The only cardio I do is marital relations with my smokin' hot wife, so only get in a couple hours a day.

I just dialed this diet in so I'm holding off til this weekend to give the updated pics.

LBSOMEIRON is offline Banned
    We really don't care about your pics.

Please post your wife

bigcwithane is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LBSOMEIRON View Post

Please post your wife
    ^x22222

Please post your wife
    ^x22222

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Please post your wife
    x3 =)

DeniZen is offline Associate Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I think I can speak on LB's behalf here... neither of us are going to come up with your diet for you. I will post some very useful info below as a guideline for you to follow. Based on this info, you should be able to come up with a very nice diet which we will help you tweak and sort out from there. Also, you can check out the many other diet's we've critiqued (diet section) to get an idea of what we're talking about. When you post up your new improved diet, be sure to include time of day for each meal, where your workout fits in, and all macro info in the form of P/C/F/total calories. This will give us everything we need to work on it with you. Here's the info, thanks to Damienm05 for compiling:

BMR/TDEE formula:

Let’s start with BMR. This is your Basal Metabolic Rate. AKA – how many calories you burn each day by just sitting on your ass. In order to figure out your BMR, you need to know what your lean body mass is. In turn, you need to know what your body fat percentage is.

If you don’t know your body fat percentage, go to your gym and get tested (please don’t use electronic scales to get your bf % checked, they're horrible). If you don’t have a gym that offers this service; ask me and I’ll give you a pretty good estimate.

With your bf % in hand, here’s the formula:

BMR (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

Total weight x bf % in decimal form = total bf weight

Total weight - total bf weight = total lean body mass

For example:

I am 6'1 210 lbs at 10% body fat... so I would multiply 210 by .10 (converted from percent to decimal) = 21 lbs
    210 – 21 = 189 lbs lean body weight

189 / 2.2 = 86.0 lean mass in kg

370 + (21.6 x 86) = 2227.6 BMR (this is high for the average person)

Now that we have a BMR figure, we can move on to TDEE. Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is how many calories we actually use during the day via our BMR and activities such as work, exercise and various tasks. We can figure this number out with simple math but be honest because this figure is to be the cornerstone of your diet and healthy lifestyle. We need to determine your activity level. We’ll choose from a few levels:

§ If you are sedentary (little or no exercise): Calorie - Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    § If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    § If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    § If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    § If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

For example:

I train with weights 5 days for 90 minutes per week. I play hockey three times per week
    for 90 minutes. I do 60 minutes of cardio training 5 times per week as well. I also practice my sport 3 times per week for 90 minutes. Either via skating or puck/shooting drills. All are high-intensity. I am between very and extra active. Let’s say BMR x 1.8. My TDEE is 4010.

In terms of food choices, here goes:

I love analogies. Let’s use a good one. Think of your perfect body as a house that you must build. You’ve figured out your BMR and TDEE, so you know the exact specs of the property you have to work with. You know how exercise affects weight loss and how much of a caloric deficit/surplus we must create to lose/gain said weight; so you know how to build - you understand architecture. You also know the pace you intend on losing/gaining weight at based on these other factors, so you know it will be harder to get your house built in weeks as opposed to months. The only thing left is the tools/building material you must use and because you don’t know how to eat, you still can’t build anything. At least, not well. Sure, you can starve yourself for a few months but you’ll just gain all the weight back in a couple weeks of binge drinking and shitty eating on a vacation – you’re house will fall down!

So, let’s talk tools baby. Let’s talk food. First off, there are only 3 types of foods/macronutrients. Protein. Carbohydrates. Fat. That’s it.

Protein – 4 calories per gram - Building material. Bricks. You can’t gain energy from protein, you can only use it to build muscle/skin/hair/nails. It’s basically just amino acids and it’s what our bodies are made of. As such, we need lots of it. 1g of protein per body lb is a good number to shoot for . Go as high as 2g per body lb if you’re lifting weights and trying to build muscle. For example, I am 207 lbs and I eat between 300-400 grams per day. Our body can only break down so much at one time however, so we want to eat 20-40 grams of protein in every meal, several times per day. Protein, being building material only and not energy/labor – the body can rarely find a reason for it to be stored as fat. If you must over-eat – make it lean meat/fish.

Carbs – 4 calories per gram - Think of these as human labor for your house. Think of sugar as dudes you pick up out front of home depot and oatmeal as a skilled carpenter. Both are carbs, both serve very different purposes. Carbs help transport essential nutrients to the muscles, create glycogen stores, and as such, increase protein synthesis but do not build muscle; they are simply an energy source. As such, they should only be eaten/used when we need energy. Any carbs we ingest before bed or before watching a movie, or something sedentary are not used as energy, and as such, are more likely to be stored in the body as glycogen (glucose/water in our muscles that we will use when doing high-intensity exercise). Once our glycogen reserves are full, they will spill over and be stored as fat. Yes, they will make you fat. Carbs can be your best friend or your worst enemy.

Fats – 9 calories per gram - Like carbs, fats are an energy source, not a building material like protein. They provide nowhere near as much energy as carbs however. Ask anyone who's on a ketogenic diet. With regard to our house, think of fats as the glue/cement. They provide much needed essential fatty acids, which are great for joint/organ health and increase our protein synthesis. Going back to our analogy, cement/glue increases the effectiveness of bricks! If we give our bodies the right fats, it will be able to burn stored body fat quickly as it won’t see any use in keeping it. Remember, like carbs – not all fat is good and ALL fat is high in calories so watch out. A tablespoon of peanut butter can be a good addition to a meal. Snacking on 5-6 tablespoons, however, means you’ve just eaten over your TDEE for the day.

Acceptable proteins for your healthy lifestyle diet:

The goal is to eat lean protein. Meats/other sources low in fat/carbs.

§ Ground beef (93% lean or better)
    § Lean steak (Flank, flat iron, or top sirloin)
    § Bison sirloin (the highest quality red meat)
    § Chicken breast
    § Turkey breast
    § Tuna (canned or sushi grade)
    § Salmon
    § Tilapia (mostly all white fish)
    § All shellfish
    § Venison
    § Whey protein (post-workout recovery purposes only)
    § Casein/Cottage cheese (before bed only)

Black-List Protein sources. Do not eat these because they are high in fat. And not the
    good kind we find in nuts and olive oil – I’m talking about cholesterol raising saturated
    fat!

§ Bacon
    § Sausage
    § Expensive fat-marbled Steaks (Ribeye, Strip, Filet)
    § Pork and beef ribs
    § Pork/Lamb chops
    § Restaurant ground beef (80/20 fat – most burgers)
    § Duck
    § Chicken legs/thighs
    § Chicken skin
    § Cheese

Acceptable Carbs for your healthy lifestlyle:

Complex carbs are now your creed. These are slower-digesting, natural, low on the glycemic index carbohydrates that digest slowly and provide us with sustained energy. They do not drastically affect our blood sugar and do not cause insulin spikes. Thus our body sees no reason to store them as fat, it would rather burn them for energy. Simple carbs such as enriched white breads/pastas/rice/potatoes/sugars (including most fruit) cause insulin spikes and are high GI foods. They should not be eaten when on a strict diet. Fruit can be consumed early in the day or pre/post-workout because of it’s high nutritional value but should usually be avoided due to being a form of simple sugar. Remember, healthy, low-calorie foods aren’t always the correct foods and such is the case with fruit.

§ Oats/Oatmeal
    § Grits/Cornmeal
    § Unsalted/non-buttered popcorn (great, low-cal snack)
    § Sweet potato (the best choice)
    § Butternut squash
    § Whole wheat pasta (not enriched)
    § Organic whole wheat bread (not enriched wonder bread crap)
    § Brown rice
    § Ezekiel bread
    § Swedish grain bread
    § Gluten free bread
    § Wheat couscous
    § Corn
    § Quinoa
    § Lentils
    § Beans
    § Many more, look up the GI (glycemic index) for healthy choices

Black List:

§ White pasta
    § White bread
    § Baguette
    § Bagels
    § Cookies, cake, muffins, cupcakes, all sweets basically.
    § White couscous
    § White rice
    § You get the idea…

Don’t get discouraged upon reading this list. I still make desserts all the time with whole
    grain flour and splenda. I buy bagels and baguettes at the health food store that use
    complex carbs as a base. If you’re dedicated, you don’t have to miss out 100%

Acceptable fats for your healthy lifestyle:

We look for fat sources that are high in omega-3, 6, and 9 fatty acids. Also, many are high in protein. We do not want saturated fats such as butter, cream, meat fat. We don’t want test tube fats like trans (the worst). We want mono/polyunsaturated fats that our body can use for something other than calories. Remember, even good fats are high in calories.

§ Natural peanut butter (no sugar added, just roasted peanuts)
    § Natural almond butter
    § Cashews
    § Almonds
    § Peanuts
    § Flax seeds
    § Flax seed oil
    § Salmon and Trout (great fatty proteins)
    § Fish oil
    § Extra virgin olive oil (should be used on all veggies/salads)
    § Chia seeds
    § Grapeseed oil
    § Macadamia nut oil

Acceptable miscellaneous foods:

These foods don’t provide much as far as macronutrients but are great for adding vitamins/minerals and taste. Notice some of these other foods are dairy. Dairy is another animal’s milk. We lack the enzymes to digest it as they do and it’s high in fat/sugar. It should only be eaten early in the day for nutrient purposes with the exception of whey and casein (cottage cheese).

§ Skim milk (Hood brand is only 45 calories and 3g of sugar per cup)
    § Greek yogurt (no sugar added)
    § Berries (all berries are much lower in sugar than other fruits and packed with fiber/nutrients – eat berries)
    § Green Vegetables. These are technically carbs but they are packed with fiber (a type of carb that isn’t used as energy or stored). In bodybuilding/nutrition – we refer to most vegetables as fibrous carbohydrates. While a serving of Broccoli may have 6g of carbs, 5 are from fiber. Meaning that it contains only 1g of storable carbohydrates. In addition, green vegetables are a calorie neutral/negative food (our body uses more calories to digest them than they contain – think celery). Veggies should be eaten with every meal. Every day. If you do this, you can become almost impervious to getting sick. Some vegetables are better than others for healthy diets.
    § Many non-green vegetables. Most are fine – just check labels, some have a good bit of sugar and should be eaten in moderation only (carrots)
    GB thanks for this excellent post! Not trying to hijack this thread, but for a newbie like me this a ton of great information in one place. Saved it to my PC as the basis for analyzing my diet relative to my goals.
    Last edited by DeniZen; 10-26-2010 at 08:28 AM.

Please post your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcwithane View Post
    ^x22222
    x3 =)
    Will take pics of her this weekend and post at the same time.

Do you have any of her in the shower?

Do you want some?

Im only playing bro. Not cool. You owe me one.

X2 repost
    Last edited by LBSOMEIRON; 10-27-2010 at 10:21 AM.

Surfstud18 is offline Member
    Jump on Am cardio if you can brother and I 3rd the wife pic!

Quote Originally Posted by Surfstud18 View Post
    Jump on Am cardio if you can brother and I 3rd the wife pic!
    I kinda was holding out starting cardio til I stalled on making progress from the modified eating program.

Quote Originally Posted by DeniZen View Post
    GB thanks for this excellent post! Not trying to hijack this thread, but for a newbie like me this a ton of great information in one place. Saved it to my PC as the basis for analyzing my diet relative to my goals.
    NP bro, but I can't take the credit for compiling it - that goes to Damienm05 - who just recently fell off the face of the earth again... wtf!

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Keep it up tbody! Can't wait for the updated pics.

SlimJoe is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    yes same lol

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimJoe View Post
    yes same lol
    Thank you, will do!

How goes it today T?

4 am - 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites, bowl of oats with one scoop of whey protein
    8 am - subway tuna sandwich on flatbread, no cheese, tomatoes and jalapeno's
    11 am - 1/4 cup white rice, 3.5 oz tilapia
    2 pm - 1/4 cup white rice, 3.5 oz tilapia
    5 pm - 1/4 cup white rice, 3.5 oz tilapia
    8:30 pm - 8oz new york strip bison steak, 6 oz mashed sweet potatoes with salt and pepper
    10 pm - 13 whole peanuts with sea-salt

worked from 5am til 7pm, had to miss my workout, but my legs are still sore from monday's 10x10 squat session, so I think it was okay, since today is leg day number 2 for the week.

how's that diet for today? Are the peanuts okay this way instead of natural peanut butter?

Just as a future reference, the tuna at Subway is your LAST choice.

I'm sure it sounded healthy, but they use full fat mayo...that flatbread you ate was prob 500 cals and 30g of fat.....

Grilled chicken breast x 2 and half the bread....

PS - peanute are fine

Just as a future reference, the tuna at Subway is your LAST choice.

I'm sure it sounded healthy, but they use full fat mayo...that flatbread you ate was prob 500 cals and 30g of fat.....

Grilled chicken breast x 2 and half the bread....

PS - peanute are fine

that explains why it tasted so incredibly goodl, grrrr.... should have known.

I was on the road for an extra long day and had a buddy come along for the ride so shared my meals throughout the day with him, I knew I wouldn't have enough for both of us for all day, so I had to throw in a not as good choice somewhere, my fat intake for the day should have still been close to inline though. Anyway, we'll through those pics up this weekend and you will tell me if I'm heading in the right direction. I am becoming more and more determined and focused on making this happen, by the way, and don't care what the scale says as long as I come in lean and hard, then I'll start packing on all the lean muscle I can.

And how's that LB time coming, taking care of you and your stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    4 am - 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites, bowl of oats with one scoop of whey protein
    8 am - subway tuna sandwich on flatbread, no cheese, tomatoes and jalapeno's
    11 am - 1/4 cup white rice, 3.5 oz tilapia
    2 pm - 1/4 cup white rice, 3.5 oz tilapia
    5 pm - 1/4 cup white rice, 3.5 oz tilapia
    8:30 pm - 8oz new york strip bison steak, 6 oz mashed sweet potatoes with salt and pepper
    10 pm - 13 whole peanuts with sea-salt

worked from 5am til 7pm, had to miss my workout, but my legs are still sore from monday's 10x10 squat session, so I think it was okay, since today is leg day number 2 for the week.

how's that diet for today? Are the peanuts okay this way instead of natural peanut butter?
    What was the point of just peanuts before bed? Why purposely consume fats before bed and no protein? In this case i'd say not eating at all is better then eating nothing but fats before bed. Get a casein shake or some cottage cheese in there with those peanuts!

What was the point of just peanuts before bed? Why purposely consume fats before bed and no protein? In this case i'd say not eating at all is better then eating nothing but fats before bed. Get a casein shake or some cottage cheese in there with those peanuts!
    I didn't say there was a point, I just pointed out that I did it, I just wanted some peanuts, there is some protein in them, but not why I did it, oh and then I ate 4 tomatoes and two jalapeno's with cajun seasoning sprinkled on them, and drank about a 1/2 cup of pickle juice. The cottage cheese should be whole fat, right?

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    I didn't say there was a point, I just pointed out that I did it, I just wanted some peanuts, there is some protein in them, but not why I did it, oh and then I ate 4 tomatoes and two jalapeno's with cajun seasoning sprinkled on them, and drank about a 1/2 cup of pickle juice. The cottage cheese should be whole fat, right?
    I'm just saying that it's counter productive IMO to eat a fat only meal, especially when protein is needed before bed. If you do the cottage cheese, i'd say go with whole fat because the fat will slow the protein absorption a bit.

I agree, thanks.

I'm just saying that it's counter productive IMO to eat a fat only meal, especially when protein is needed before bed. If you do the cottage cheese, i'd say go with whole fat because the fat will slow the protein absorption a bit.
    Sorry, but I strongly disagree with this statement.

THere is nothing wrong with some good fats before bed. You just had a good meal 90 minutes prior and '13 peanuts' will help satify you through the night. There are times when I am afforded (during dieting) a tablespoon or two of peanut butter. Guess when I have it? As a desert right before bed. I've been known to have a TB of PB last a half hour. AND....there are COUNTLESS times where I wake up ravishing during the night and guess what I have? A tablespoon of PB.

Point is, there is NOTHING wrong with this protocol and it's almost encouraged as good fats are needed to burn fat.

All good.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree with this statement.

THere is nothing wrong with some good fats before bed. You just had a good meal 90 minutes prior and '13 peanuts' will help satify you through the night. There are times when I am afforded (during dieting) a tablespoon or two of peanut butter. Guess when I have it? As a desert right before bed. I've been known to have a TB of PB last a half hour. AND....there are COUNTLESS times where I wake up ravishing during the night and guess what I have? A tablespoon of PB.

Point is, there is NOTHING wrong with this protocol and it's almost encouraged as good fats are needed to burn fat.

All good.
    My issue isn't as much with having the fats as it is with NOT having any protein. I think protein in every meal is very important for a BBer. Satisfying a craving with a tbsp of PB is another thing, we all do it. I'm talking about a meal. Tbody, are you considering this your bedtime meal? You should IMO, and with that, add protein to it. It's arguably the most important meal of your day aside from maybe your PWO meal. You don't need me to tell you that you recover and grow while you sleep, so why not provide your body with a fresh dose of protein immediately before hitting the sack? 13 whole peanuts barely provides enough protein to be worth mentioning, and it's incomplete protein at that.

PS - I hope it doesn't sound like i'm coming down on you, because i'm not. I'm just here to ride your ass the way I expect you all to ride mine. Ok, that sounds gay.

LB - the 'eat fat to burn fat' theory is heavily debatable. I'm not necessarily saying I personally disagree with it, but it is not 100% accepted by everyone.

My issue isn't as much with having the fats as it is with NOT having any protein. I think protein in every meal is very important for a BBer. Satisfying a craving with a tbsp of PB is another thing, we all do it. I'm talking about a meal. Tbody, are you considering this your bedtime meal? You should IMO, and with that, add protein to it. It's arguably the most important meal of your day aside from maybe your PWO meal. You don't need me to tell you that you recover and grow while you sleep, so why not provide your body with a fresh dose of protein immediately before hitting the sack? 13 whole peanuts barely provides enough protein to be worth mentioning, and it's incomplete protein at that.

PS - I hope it doesn't sound like i'm coming down on you, because i'm not. I'm just here to ride your ass the way I expect you all to ride mine. Ok, that sounds gay.

LB - the 'eat fat to burn fat' theory is heavily debatable. I'm not necessarily saying I personally disagree with it, but it is not 100% accepted by everyone.
    I know you are not coming down on me, I appreciate everything you do and the way you do it. I actually had written quite a lengthy response to you to explain it last time and just deleted it and said that I agreed and thank you. That being said, I do agree, however, LB was right, I had just eaten at least 8 oz of bison steak, about an hour or an hour and a half prior, 6 oz of mashed sweet potatoe and was having tomatoes, jalapenos and pickle juice before bed time and just wanted a few peanuts.

I am currently editiing my photo's that I took tonight and will have them up in a few minutes.

What are you riding? He had a healthy meal 90 minutes prior. That would cover him for the entire night as his diet was on point all day.

No need for more protein. Do you know how many handfuls of almonds i have between meals?

It was a healthy pre bed snack. The prebed meal is not necessary. Especially when your diet is on point all day.

I'm saying i do it and I subscribe to it. It holds me over and adds to my healthy fat intake b

What are you riding? He had a healthy meal 90 minutes prior. That would cover him for the entire night as his diet was on point all day.

No need for more protein. Do you know how many handfuls of almonds i have between meals?

It was a healthy pre bed snack. The prebed meal is not necessary. Especially when your diet is on point all day.

I'm saying i do it and I subscribe to it. It holds me over and adds to my healthy fat intake b

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    I agree with the general idea of what you're saying but as a rule, eating nuts as a snack is probably a bad idea when cutting. They're too easy to overeat on and it can become a bad and difficult habit to break. Speaking from experience and not blindly pontificating.

Up to the minute photo's...hot off the editing presses

I've thrown in some before photo's to do a side by side comparison, 10/02/10 am is light blue shorts and 10/29/10 pm is dark blue shorts, 27.5 days difference folks. Oh yeah and I'd only been back in the gym for 5 or 6 weeks before I put up the first photo's I'll try and throw in a pic from the lake on like July 7th or 8th of this year as a starting reference point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old guy making a comeback...-1a.jpg   Old guy making a comeback...-1b.jpg   Old guy making a comeback...-2a.jpg   Old guy making a comeback...-2b.jpg  

We are discussing 13 peanuts. See the forest, please.

Tb- if you stuck to that diet, including the peanuts, I can't wait to see the pics.

and...

the first pic is for twist, it's my relaxed pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old guy making a comeback...-283.jpg   Old guy making a comeback...-3a.jpg   Old guy making a comeback...-3b.jpg   Old guy making a comeback...-7a.jpg   Old guy making a comeback...-7b.jpg  

and still...

third set
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old guy making a comeback...-4a.jpg   Old guy making a comeback...-4b.jpg   Old guy making a comeback...-5a.jpg   Old guy making a comeback...-5b.jpg  

and again...

fourth and final??? The last one is my July of this year pic, after not lifting for about 8 months.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old guy making a comeback...-8a.jpg   Old guy making a comeback...-8b.jpg   Old guy making a comeback...-274.jpg   Old guy making a comeback...-999.jpg  

Pics are up, tell me everything you all are thinking and vote on one of the new pics to change my avatar too.

I definitely see a add in muscle keep working on burning the fat and building brotha its a tough road but when you get there it will be awesome. I can't wait to get to my goals. I'm going to hard cut for 6 weeks and then slowly clean bulk and add mass and keep my bodyat below 15 and then go to army basic training, super cut and ready for everything

You have no room to talk here! You'd blast me if I popped a single peanut in my mouth that wasn't part of my diet!

I'm kidding of course.

Definite improvement in the pics. Obliques are more defined, shoulders and especially front bi's much more noticeable. You have a great base, I can't wait to see how you look at 15% or lower! Great job T!

Dont wanna be old is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Pics look good Friend !

The reason I eat PB over peanuts is my age . Those peanuts not 100% chewed can be sharp coming out ! Enough said !

Sorry for the spam posting, I just keep forgetting to address everything.

Your new avy is either the back double-bi pose, or the lat spread - great wings!

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread Information