Thread: Bananas??

nath78 is offline Associate Member

Bananas??

Do you eat banannas before workout or after workout or both??
    Can you explain why aswell,is it something to do with insulin ??im not understanding banannas at all,ive seen loads of pre workout shakes with them and lots of people using the post workout too..
    Thanks nathan

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I think they're decent PWO for somebody looking to gain weight. They are all sugar like just about any fruit, so on a cutting diet I would recommend against them. There are way better carb choices out there in either case, but nothing wrong with a banana/day IMO.

Dan111 is offline Associate Member
    I don't necessarily eat them right before workout, but I have one a day usually and just have it earlier in the day. To my understanding having one pre-workout is better as they contain a lot of Potassium which can help to eliminate muscle cramping. I don't really get muscle cramping from lifting weights, but my calves cramp up quite a bit from extended periods of running and one of the remedies is to consume a banana prior to running.

Having said that, I don't run anymore and utilize other forms or cardio...so for me personally I just have a banana earlier in the day, as gbrice said, they contain a lot of sugar and carbs, which generally isn't something you'd want later on in the day.

What im basically doing is looking for the ideal carb source for pre workout and post workout..i just want to add lean muscle..
    My morning meal pre workout is:

3 egg whites 1 whole (scrambled)
    cup of oats (porrage oats) in 30g whey/10g casien/30g isolate/5g glutamine(this protien shake contains 50g carbs+whatever the oats)in water
    is this sufficiant enough?

My post workout then
    directly after 35g maximusle ****** protien(think its whey)/5g glutamine in water
    and a banana

Quote Originally Posted by nath78 View Post
    What im basically doing is looking for the ideal carb source for pre workout and post workout..i just want to add lean muscle..
    My morning meal pre workout is:

3 egg whites 1 whole (scrambled)
    cup of oats (porrage oats) in 30g whey/10g casien/30g isolate/5g glutamine(this protien shake contains 50g carbs+whatever the oats)in water
    is this sufficiant enough?

My post workout then
    directly after 35g maximusle ****** protien(think its whey)/5g glutamine in water
    and a banana
    Preworkout meal looks good. I'd rather see your protein come from all whole food instead of a shake, but at least you have some eggs in there which are a good pre-workout choice IMO.

PWO can use some work though - I personally like oats but my goal right now isn't lean mass. Look into waxy maize or vitagro, they are both good choices.

my post workout drink that is,its followed 5 mins after by a real meal,tuna salad.

waxy maize or vitagro,i will look into these but would rather use something thats readily avalible..any other ideas?

i heard dextrose is good for post workout,is this carbs or just sugar?

by oats you do mean the oats that make porrage yea?just so im not eating the wrong ones for the past year lol ive mixed with water and heated a few times but most of the time i just wack in my shaker and glug them down(not very nice like but does the job)

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    Bannana's are good for replacing potassium, thats lost durring intense workouts, especially if you drink a lot of water like I do. I like waxey maize or oats as well but i try to mix them with simple carbs like fructose or dextrose as well

so post workout drink if i add oats,and keep the banana it will be good?

just looking to make the most of my training,anything else i should add pre/post?

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    I've experimented with all types of carbs pwo. I've been eating bananas pwo for the past year and it seems to be fine for cuttingor bulking.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nath78 View Post
    so post workout drink if i add oats,and keep the banana it will be good?

just looking to make the most of my training,anything else i should add pre/post?
    Oats/banana/whey is a great PWO. You get the best of both worlds and even when cutting, won't be hindering results. If you really want to make the most of your routine, I'd sip BCAAs during and directly PWO. 10-15 minutes later or after your cardio, do the above shake and then follow with a whole food meal. It's not gonna get a whole lot better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    Oats/banana/whey is a great PWO.
    ^^ This was my PWO meal the entire summer. Welcome back bro... and wow, he finally posts a pic and it's of his effing head! lol =)

cheers for the advice,ive got it down to a t now!!will sip bccas through my workout and add some more to pwo aswell,cheers!nathan.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    ^^ This was my PWO meal the entire summer. Welcome back bro... and wow, he finally posts a pic and it's of his effing head! lol =)
    Haha, I ****ed up. I edited it to black out my face and I uploaded the original. Hopefully nobody I know in real life now knows I do AAS, haha.

Thread Information