MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!

what the hell is wrong with milk ?

hey, so i love milk, i drink about three pints a day, can switch between 0.1%, 1% and 1.7% fat milk depending on whats in the shop or where i am. After searching on google for bb's and milk i read nothing but good stuff so continued to drink it but i get the impression that you guys are against the stuff, why is that ?

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    its a mixed opinion....good amount of sugar...also hormones given to cows

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    One of the hottest debated topics on here. The line is clear - people are either for it or against it. Here's what i've seen:

The people for milk argue that it's a great source of protein, and in and of itself is almost the 'perfect' food when it comes to macro balance. per cup, 8g protein and 12g carbs is a nice ratio. Whole milk has 8g fat also, I don't personally like that one so when I do drink milk (I love it too), it's skim.

The people against it argue that it's not made for humans first of all, and our bodies lack the enzyme to properly digest it. Some people are lactose intolerant as well. Secondly, the 12g of carbs is all sugar in the form of lactose. I have read studies that say although lactose is considered a simple sugar, our bodies process it in a much different way then say sucrose. Finally, some argue that milk makes you 'soft' - that it doesn't build good hard muscle. I personally disagree with this one. Complete protein is complete protein in my eyes. The soft part is not the fact that it builds 'soft' muscle, but rather that it can have a bloating/water retention effect in alot of people, giving the impression of looking soft. The saying is 'milk is for babies'.

So, you have to choose what you think is right, because there is no definitive answer. I personally don't have a problem with milk in small quantities. I don't sweat over it. If it were up to me, i'd drink a gallon of whole milk/day, but I know that's overboard and would definitely be a problem.
    Last edited by gbrice75; 10-08-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: bad information

Brewster is offline Member
    milk is for babies
    when you grow up, you drink beer

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
    milk is for babies
    Heh, told ya!

Dan111 is offline Associate Member
    milk is for babies
    beer is for amateurs, when you grow up and become a practicing alcoholic you drink liquor...

But on the milk subject, I have some everyday, just not a lot, and the milk I do drink is skim. If I consume too much milk throughout the day I just feel bloated, and plus I'd rather get my calories from solid food, and milk contains a decent amount of calories.
    Last edited by Dan111; 10-08-2010 at 08:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Iv given up drinking beer and now wine , I'll see how it goes abstaining from alcohol, anybody got anything bad to say about coffee ? I love that too, 5 cups a day .

Thanks brice your a wealth of knowledge

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    milk is for babies
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rink+beer&aq=1

Jahcuree is offline Associate Member
    Nothings wrong with milk, as long as its RAW WHOLE MILK.

Brewster is offline Member
    HP,
    If ur refering to pumping iron,
    im glad someone caught onto that

I was, not sure whats up with the link though.

Quote Originally Posted by rossapplecart View Post
    Thanks brice your a wealth of knowledge
    Thx bro!

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    GB is right. I see milk like this, If you are bulking and you are able to drink milk, go for it. If you are cutting, and you can drink milk, minimize it. But there are some people who just cannot drink milk, and are not lactose intolerant. Some people can, some can't. Find out which one you are and what goals you have and add milk accordingly.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    smelly farts, and gas all day mate!

not my choice, if it were, I'd drink a half gallon a day

oh well

(lactaid tablets dont help me. my oldsters get the milk for lactose intolerent people, but that is double the price of normal milk)

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    After not having milk for a few weeks when I was doing a strict cut this time last year, I went back to drinking some with breakfast - The bloat it added was noticeable. It's certainly something to consider. I never thought myself sensitive to dairy but after seeing the grass on the other side, I realized I felt and looked better without milk in my diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    After not having milk for a few weeks when I was doing a strict cut this time last year, I went back to drinking some with breakfast - The bloat it added was noticeable. It's certainly something to consider. I never thought myself sensitive to dairy but after seeing the grass on the other side, I realized I felt and looked better without milk in my diet.
    I can see this potential problem. I think with higher bodyfat like myself (15% neighborhood), it's hard to notice a difference, but when you start getting into the 10% arena, much smaller normally unnoticeable things will be much easier to detect - such as bloat due to drinking milk.

When i used to drink regular, pasteurized milk i would break out with minor acne a few days later and my stomach would feel like i needed to sh1t my intestines out.

Stopped drinking milk, and then one day tried RAW MILK, zero lactose similar problems, & more easily absorbable protein, and deliciouS!!

Milk is great or bulks. I've never had a problem with Milk in the last 10 years I've been bodybuilding. I hardly ever cut, so Milk is utilized in my nutritional program often. I've had phases where I would drink a gallon of milk per day (excluding shakes obviously) and I put on more quality weight than any supplement I've ever tried. And yes.... bloat non existent. I've had more bloat from CM than excessive Milk intake.

Use it if your bulking and can tolerate it.
    Don't if you cut or your criteria doesn't meet the standards and/or your are unable to drink it period.

Can we kill this thread? All this talk about milk is really making me crave the shit! But I want the real deal, ice cold whole milk! I could chug a gallon straight. Let's not even get started on chocolate milk. Love Nestle Quick, and Cumberland Farms chocolate milk, omg!

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Can we kill this thread? All this talk about milk is really making me crave the shit! But I want the real deal, ice cold whole milk! I could chug a gallon straight. Let's not even get started on chocolate milk. Love Nestle Quick, and Cumberland Farms chocolate milk, omg!
    Try Ovaltine!

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Milk is great for BBs, but only raw milk....it is worth the extra cost IMO. Raw milk PWO = awesome!

Sicko is offline Senior Member
    Yeh totally lactose intolerant, one glass and I definately win all fart wars,its like sulfer warfare @ 60 second intervals!!!
    But I do love me some chocolate soy milk...

n00bs is offline Member
    Drink raw organic milk from a reputable farmer.. Like others have stated above it tastes so much better and actually has health benefits unlike that other poison.

/end debate

LBSOMEIRON is offline Banned
    Try almond milk.

Far superior as my $.02

Thread Information