Southern Cross is offline Associate Member

Should I drop the banana?

My first meal of the day is

1 cup of oats
    1.5 cups of skim milk
    1 big banana

resulting in a little over 100 carbs is this ok.

I'm trying to lose body fat.

yellows2k is offline Member
    I would

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    you can or can't, a banana in the morning will release a lot of insulin which will help stop the catabolic effects of sleeping without food for 8 hours. But in the same note, this will effect you slin levels all day and probably leave you hungry for a good part of the day since you have had your blood sugar levels rise and fall again. All in all it is a personal thing, if you can get away with the extra carbs and hungry feeling later on then go for it, if not then drop it. A normal banana has around 30g carbs in it.

Pain

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

??????

If u are trying to lose bodyfat, why the hell are u eating oats, milk, and a banana?

Where in the wide world of sports is your protein and healthy fats?

Re-org this quickly!

~SC~

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member

Re: Should I drop the banana?

Originally posted by Southern Cross
    My first meal of the day is

1 cup of oats
    1.5 cups of skim milk
    1 big banana

resulting in a little over 100 carbs is this ok.

I'm trying to lose body fat.
    Substitute the skim milk and banana with a whey protein shake and some efa oil. better yet, try adding a scope of whey and a tsp of flax to your cup of oats. And depending on your daily carb intake, you might want to drop the cup of oats to 30 grams...Usualsuspect

Re: ??????

Originally posted by SwoleCat
    If u are trying to lose bodyfat, why the hell are u eating oats, milk, and a banana?

Where in the wide world of sports is your <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> and healthy fats?

Re-org this quickly!

~SC~
    Swole-I was basically taking the advise from Pain. He suggested that I take some extra carbs because for 8 or hours preceeding my breakfast my body hasn't eaten anything. I do however manage to get around 210g of protein throughout the day primarily through tuna fish, egg whites, protein bars and protein shakes.

I just started watching my diet on Monday and damn it is much more challenging that I anticipated. I was at 17.4% bf when I started and the trainer at the gym put me on a weight training program and gave me some diet suggestions. I want to be at 10% by early summer.

Swole as you know, I respect you opinions as well as Pain's, Yellow's and Decoder's. Any suggestions you guys make, I try to incorporated immediately.

SC

Re: Re: Should I drop the banana?

Originally posted by usualsuspect

Substitute the skim milk and banana with a whey <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> shake and some efa oil. better yet, try adding a scope of whey and a tsp of flax to your cup of oats. And depending on your daily carb intake, you might want to drop the cup of oats to 30 grams...Usualsuspect
    The skim milk is in the oats but if I should substitue water instead, I will do it.

Usual, what manufacture of efa oil do you suggest?

Re: Re: ??????

Originally posted by Southern Cross

Swole-I was basically taking the advise from Pain. He suggested that I take some extra carbs because for 8 or hours preceeding my breakfast my body hasn't eaten anything. I do however manage to get around 210g of <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> throughout the day primarily through tuna fish, egg whites, <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> bars and <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> shakes.

I just started watching my diet on Monday and damn it is much more challenging that I anticipated. I was at 17.4% bf when I started and the trainer at the gym put me on a weight training program and gave me some diet suggestions. I want to be at 10% by early summer.

Swole as you know, I respect you opinions as well as Pain's, Yellow's and Decoder's. Any suggestions you guys make, I try to incorporated immediately.

SC
    You do still want to get the protein in there too. When I said add the banana what I meant was the fact that it will cause a rapid increase in your insulin and help shuttle all your nutreints (protein and carbs) to your muscles quicker, thereby stoping the catabolic process. I should have also put something in there about increase the protein with that meal. Sorry for the confusion.

Pain

not really.......

if u have not recently stimulated your muscles by weight training, taking in carbs with protein is not going to "shuttle" anything into muscle cells. You can store excess carbs as fat, yes, but they are not needed for muscle growth. For two meals after a workout as a primer for that growth, yes.

All of the other time can be spent maintaining a positive nitrogen balance with plently of protein and healthy fats to add that lean mass.

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 02-23-2003 at 12:00 AM.

Re: not really.......

if u have not recently stimulated your muscles by weight training, taking in carbs with <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> is not going to "shuttle" anything into muscle cells. You can store excess carbs as fat, yes, but they are not needed for muscle growth. For two meals after a workout as a primer for that growth, yes.

All of the other time can be spent maintaining a positive nitrogen balance with plently of <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> and healthy fats to add that lean mass.

~SC~
    Isn't the time when a lot of muscle growth/repair happens is at night when sleeping, couldn't you take advantage of this period by helping it out like post workout when your muscles need to be replenished?? IMO we could bicker back and forth about this all day. But the true answer is, will eating the banana in the morning keep you on your diet and make you happy while still seeing gains, if this is true leave it in. If you can live without the banana and still feel the same in the gym and out, then take it out. A small banana will not make or break your diet in the long run, maybe if you are trying to get ripped down to 4% BF for a contest it will start to matter, but all in all if you love bananas and eating it makes you happy and you are getting gains, leave it in, if you can live without it and don't notice any muscle catabolism, take it out. In the end it is a personal thing, and your body type will determine the ultimate "correct" answer.

Pain

BIG-G is offline Banned
    WAIT A MINUTE,,, babanas r one of the most "bodybuilding friendly" natural snacks!!!! Good for digestion, potassium, breakfast, lunch, dinner etc!!

?

Originally posted by BIG-G
    WAIT A MINUTE,,, babanas r one of the most "bodybuilding friendly" natural snacks!!!! Good for digestion, potassium, breakfast, lunch, dinner etc!!

2 cents huh?

~SC~

Originally posted by BIG-G
    I agree, plus they taste great IMO. But when trying to do a low carb diet, they can add up quickly.

Pain

Re: Re: not really.......

Originally posted by painintheazz

Isn't the time when a lot of muscle growth/repair happens is at night when sleeping, couldn't you take advantage of this period by helping it out like post workout when your muscles need to be replenished??
    Pain
    Ummm, yeah, but that has nothing to do with eating carbs to shuttle nutrients into muscles. If you have done no weight training in the last 3 hours or so, excess carbs you eat if glycogen stores are already full (which they should be if you have eaten your pwo meals correctly) will be steered to fat cells, as glycogen reserves are full. Taking ALA will help, but won't account for all the excess carbs.

Again, try what one wishes, I know what works for myself and those I train. To each his own, that's the beauty of this sport.........do it your own way and see what happens!

~SC~

Originally posted by painintheazz

I agree, plus they taste great IMO. But when trying to do a low carb diet, they can add up quickly.

Pain
    Yes, they do add up quickly........that's why all that breakfast, lunch, dinner shit was in outer space as far as relevance to THIS DIET THREAD. I was wondering where that came from.

~SC~

Re: Re: Re: not really.......

Again, try what one wishes, I know what works for myself and those I train. To each his own, that's the beauty of this sport.........do it your own way and see what happens!

~SC~
    Exactly.

Pain

Thread Information