musclestack is offline Productive Member

fat source after cardio while on keto?

As some of you already know from my recent posts, I am doing a keto diet in order to cut down to single digit bf by the end of the year. Let me first say that, so far, I am happy with the results. I am losing about one pound every week, and I'm firming up quite nicely without losing any strength thus far.

I do my cardio in the morning for 30 minutes, 6 days per week. After cardio, I have 5 egg whites with a 30 gram fat source. Is this a good idea immediately after cardio? Should I drop the fat and just keep the protein? If I do this, it would mean adding even more fat to the remaining meals in my day.

All opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

MS

I should add that after I weight train (in the evenings), I have a protein only meal immediately after workout, then a pro/fat meal about an hour later before bed. Just wondering if I should treat the post-cardio meal the same??

charcold is offline Associate Member
    Why dont you just eat whole eggs? And I dont see much of a problem of fat after cardio.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Fat after cardio probably isn't much of an issue, but since fat loss is your primary goal I would stick to protein only. Keep in mind that fat will slow protein absorption, and since this is your first protein meal of the day you want it to be fast. At the very least, do some BCAA's in the morning.

bigcwithane is offline Member
    So is it okay to do your fasted cardio while sipping on bcaas then just directly after have breakfast?

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post
    As some of you already know from my recent posts, I am doing a keto diet in order to cut down to single digit bf by the end of the year. Let me first say that, so far, I am happy with the results. I am losing about one pound every week, and I'm firming up quite nicely without losing any strength thus far.

I do my cardio in the morning for 30 minutes, 6 days per week. After cardio, I have 5 egg whites with a 30 gram fat source. Is this a good idea immediately after cardio? Should I drop the fat and just keep the protein? If I do this, it would mean adding even more fat to the remaining meals in my day.

All opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

MS
    Yes, have your typical fat/pro meal after cardio.

I don't know why people think your meals should change after cardio.

The "after-burn" effect isn't as significant as it's made out to be.

Do your cardio then just go onto whatever meal 1 is.

Also, what's your entire keto diet look like? Stats? 30g of fat in one meal is pretty hefty.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcwithane View Post
    So is it okay to do your fasted cardio while sipping on bcaas then just directly after have breakfast?
    Absolutely.

Here are my stats and diet:

Age 26
    height 5'9"
    weight 167 lbs. (from 172 lbs. at start of keto 3 weeks ago)
    bf about 15%

meal 1 (after cardio)
    5 egg whites
    45 g butter

meal 2
    1 can tuna
    1 tbsp EVOO

meal 3
    3 oz. chicken breast
    4 egg whites
    45 g butter

meal 4
    1 can tuna
    1 tbsp EVOO

meal 5
    5 egg whites
    45 g butter

PWO
    5 egg whites

meal 6
    3 oz. chicken breast
    4 egg whites
    45 g butter

Protein: 174 grams (34%)
    Carbs: <2 grams
    Fat: 148 grams (66%)
    Total calories: 2028

The reason I don't eat whole eggs is because they have about 1 gram of carbs in them (so I've read). I replaced it with carb free butter, and I usually manage to get back into ketosis within 2 1/2 days after the carb load on Sunday. Like I said, the diet seems to be working well for me, but I am open to any suggestions if anyone thinks I need to change anything for faster fat loss. I realize that butter isn't the "cleanest" fat source; if anyone has another alternative, I'm open to it. But I really want to stay away from the whole eggs.

Thanks for all your help!
    MS

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    Butter? Seriously?

Ditch the butter and start using EFAs: EVOO (like you are), Fish oil, avacado oil and nut oil sources (macademia nut oil, pecan oil, walnut oil, etc).

Whole eggs are fine, and also provide a good fat source for keto diets.

3-4 whole eggs in the morning with your egg whites should be good for what you need.

Thanks, D7M. I will switch it up. Why would butter be all that bad of an option though? TOP even suggests eating saturated fats in his CKD thread. Do you think by switching to whole eggs and/or oils, it would help with faster fat loss?

bump...anyone with an answer to this?

Thread Information