JAB1 is offline Member

Food choice questions

I have a couple questions, thanks for the input.

Goround Turkey, is this a good lean meat source? I bought a few pounds and it is good. I needed a change of pace from the boiled chicken breast I have been living on. I am bulking for the next few months, I understand its a little higher in fat but is it a good choice?

Canned spinach, I have been eating this for a while to get extra greens in, then I realized the sodium seems very high, should I stop eating this immediately? I know fresh would be better but what are the thoughts on canned veggies specifically spinach?

Thanks!!

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I had some lean ground turkey burritos last night and have 2 more for my lunch today. It's a great source of protein. Typically fresh vegies are always a bit better but the canned is better than nothing.

JAB1 is offline Member
    Great thanks redz. Glad to hear the turkey is a good source as Its so easy to mix with brown rice and wolf down, and taste good too, think Ill steal your burrito idea too!! I am going to stock up on fresh broc and spinach and cook in bulk and stop relying on the canned, good to hear its not to bad though. Thanks

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Turkey is a great source. Do you like beef? If you're bulking, you can get away with alot more. I'm not telling you to eat dirty, but certainly you can get away with 93/7 ground beef if you prefer the taste over ground turkey (I think most people would!).

cyounger100 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    i love that turkey chili that comes in a can i eat a can everyday after i workout 6 grams of fat 30 grams of carbs and 42 grams of protein

Farbeyondriven is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up

try grilling your chicken, flating them out to a uniform thickness poke holes around the edges with fork, soak in ff italian dressing over night if possible or marinade of your choice, cook on grill no more than 375-400 deg if you have a therm on your grill, cook to a internal temp of 160 deg. instructions will say to cook internal to 180 but its to dry for me, yes this sounds like a pain in the ass cause it is but i do about 7 or 8 at a time for the whole week and keep them in tupperware they stay good all week no problem and taste good, I do all my costco turkey burgers and a few lbs of top sirloin at the same time. one hour of grilling and a whole week of food, plus then there is quality food around for my daughter ready to go, instead of processed crap that seems to be the norm for kids now a days. I just made turkey tacos too. imho once the ground turkey is cooked i cant tell the difference between it and beef except way less grease

bodybuilder is offline Senior Member
    Get a crock pot, chicken always come out juicy.

JAB1 is offline Member
    Great info, thanks guys. I am going to start doing lean ground beef too!!! Been eating nothing but boiled chicken for a while and its getting old(was cutting). I will def try the chicken recipes, except I dont have a grill(condo with no balcony), so Ill try broiling. Ill definately trade between turkey and beef to mix up the source, I like both mixed with brown rice. So glad to be bulking and have some leeway with the choices. Thanks guys.

bmor is offline New Member
    +1 on the crock pot. You can make any meat taste great that way.

Quote Originally Posted by cyounger100 View Post
    i love that turkey chili that comes in a can i eat a can everyday after i workout 6 grams of fat 30 grams of carbs and 42 grams of protein
    That canned crap is usually loaded with tons of sodium and preservatives. There's really no place for it in a clean bodybuilding diet. If you love chili, make your own and you can use lean ground beef instead.

Quote Originally Posted by pitbulllock View Post
    x2!
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1 View Post
    Great info, thanks guys. I am going to start doing lean ground beef too!!! Been eating nothing but boiled chicken for a while and its getting old(was cutting). I will def try the chicken recipes, except I dont have a grill(condo with no balcony), so Ill try broiling. Ill definately trade between turkey and beef to mix up the source, I like both mixed with brown rice. So glad to be bulking and have some leeway with the choices. Thanks guys.
    Dude, I feel you - i'm sick of chicken in general, let alone boiled. At this point fried chicken is about all i'd eat, but obviously can't.

Yea man, you can and should eat beef. At least one serving of red meat each day. When I go back to a mass type diet, i'll be switching alot more of my meals to beef. Yes, it goes great with rice - I also do it with lentils and tomato sauce (1g carbs, almost nothing in it but tomatoes) and then spice it up with chili powder, cumin, etc. to give it that flavor - very nice!

If you can't grill it, broiling would be the next best thing - or as the others suggested, a crock pot is always good (but time consuming IMO).

Flix is offline New Member
    How are you guys making the chicken in a crock pot?

Quote Originally Posted by pitbulllock View Post
    didnt even think of that, im gonna try it this weekend

bodybuilder is offline Senior Member
    With a crock pot all you really have to do is season it throw it in and forget it.

JAB1 is offline Member
    Yeah I dont have a crock pot but my girl has been talking about getting one so may try that in the future. Definately sounds good!!

haha, I hear ya on the chicken gbrice im over it for a while. Good advice man Im going to cook a few pounds of beef and turkey and stagger it through out the day for pro source!! Gonna give your recipe a try, sounds good to me and its nice to have some flavor in my life for a change!!

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    I just spray my meat (haha) and a sheet pan with no-cal cooking spray and throw it right under the broiler. As long as you keep an eye on it and don't over-cook; it'll always be tender and under 10 minutes.

just put nine chicken breasts in the crock pot with three cups choped yellow and red bell pepper, one cup spicey marinade and two cups water, see how it goes, smells good aready.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    I just spray my meat (haha)
    Is that what they call it these days? Spraying? =P

Thread Information