HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank

Low energy/Vitamin D intake

Vitamin D Deficiencies Decreases Muscle Mass

Low Energy Intake Suppresses Protein Synthesis

Athletes need calories to supply energy for intense exercise. Energy intake is also important for turning on chemical pathways that promote protein synthesis, muscle growth, and strength. Stefan Pasiakos from the University of Connecticut at Storrs, and colleagues, found that reducing energy intake by 20 percent suppressed signaling pathways that control protein metabolism and decreased protein synthesis. This study showed the importance of maintaining adequate energy intake during heavy training. You cannot make gains in muscle size and strength if you don’t eat enough food. (Journal Nutrition, 140: 745-751, 2010)

Low Vitamin D Intake Decreases Muscle Mass and Strength

Vitamin D is produced naturally in the skin as part of a reaction involving sunlight, but is also consumed in the diet. Many people are vitamin D deficient because they shun vitamin D-fortified dairy products and don't get much outdoor activity. Vitamin D is critical for normal calcium metabolism and plays a vital role in maintaining bone and muscle health. A review of literature by Bruce Hamilton, and a study led by Vicente Gilsanz from the University of Southern California (USC) concluded that adequate vitamin D levels were important for promoting muscle mass and strength. The USC study showed that women with low intakes of vitamin D had increased levels of muscle fat. Dr. Hamilton concluded that vitamin D plays a critical role in muscle protein synthesis and suggested that vitamin D-deficient athletes might benefit from ultraviolet B radiation (i.e., tanning beds). Dermatologists would undoubtedly disagree, because of the link between tanning beds and skin cancer. (Scandinavian Journal Medicine Science in Sports, 20: 182-190, 2010)
    Last edited by HawaiianPride.; 11-02-2010 at 12:03 AM.

big_ron is offline Anabolic Member
    Nice post mate. I supplement B12 and B complex injections during pct

Egan is offline New Member
    HawaiinPride,

Another great post!!

How much research do you do to find all this info you are everywhere on the forums.

Good job for sure..

How much research? Let's say 80% of gains are made from diet. 80% of my time spent on the computer is research. And I'm still a dumb ass, lol.

Egan is offline New Member
    If your a dumb ass there must be another class below that then -> is where Egan is :P

Failure is offline Associate Member
    I've been supplementing Vitamin D, by way of Cod Liver Oil, on a Keto diet due to the fact that you don't get it from many sources in abundance. Can't say that I have noticed a difference but it is cheap for peace of mind.

BTW guys the subject title should say Vitamin D Deficiencies Decreases Muscle Mass. My mistake there.

Thread Information