Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Newer lady member needing diet & workout guidance

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    20.5% BF.....man sakes alive! Good for you!!!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

GirlyGymRat is online now Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    20.5% BF.....man sakes alive! Good for you!!!
    Slimmer...well thank you. I have been hitting it hard at the gym...my philosophy is that when I decide to do something, I give it my all....although, I not sure I can keep up the workout pace cuz other stuff just not getting done. Still looking for that balance...and if you find it, please do tell!!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by girlgymrat View Post
    Gbrice and Damienm (and TBODY missing in action of late)....DRUM ROLL...been promising new macros of what I have been (basically) eati ng for the last few weeks of transition. I really don't know what I should be doing for maintenance, plus I have added more weight resistance. I think I am am not eating enough protein and eating too much fat and carbs for what I am NOW trying to accompish.

New Goals are to drop about 5 lbs of fat from my stomach area and add booty muscle. I am holding at 137ish and 20.5 % body fat.
    I think what you'd want to do is eat a tiny bit above your maintenance level (200 calories or so) to promote muscle maintenance or even gains, but make sure cardio is in check to continue burning bodyfat. This is way better than calorie restriction IMO.

Work out Schedule...this is if the stars/sun/moon all align in a perfect week ; )
    S/T/H spin
    What is S/T/H?? Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday? lol i'm not familiar with these abbreviations!

T/H 30 minutes mix it up of stomach/squats/lunges/straight leg deadlifts plus bicep curls hi weight/low reps
    M all over weight resistance training
    Sat Newly revised: lower body booty work out plus all over weights (this is a long workout, and I haven't started yet)
    W rest
    F everyother week hour yoga

Let me know what mods I need to make. Thank you! I don't have a maintenance program and after running the macros, think I am a little off track
    Ok, you're not the only one confused, lol! Can you lay this out as:

Monday - (list full workout/cardio schedule)
    Tuesday -
    Wed -

.... and so on

124g Fat/ 189 g Carbs / 170 g Protein / 1326 total cals
    26% F / 39 % C / 35 % P
    I hate to break it to you, but if the macros above are correct, your total calories are WAY off:

124g fat = 1116 calories
    189g carbs = 756 calories
    170g protein = 680 calories

Total: 2552 calories

You really need to rework this ASAP so you know what you're eating! What are you aiming for in a day? I assume around 1300 calories?

piece of chocolate probably 3/4 times per week. This is a new bad habit I picked up in the last 3 weeks and I need to get rid of cuz I have a sugar tooth
    Preaching to the choir, lol!

Macro in grams of f/c/p/total cal
    Meal 1 – 7:30 am - 38/67/62/170
    ½ c rolled oats with stevia
    ¼ c egg beaters
    1 morning star breakfast patty
    This might be where you're going wrong. No way this meal is 38/67/62. Even the total calories are off seeing as 1/2 cup oats is roughly 150 calories alone.

Meal 2 – Lunch noon- 12/45/33/415
    Turkey or chic breast
    Salad with cherry tomatoes/artichoke in oil/hearts of palm/dash of cheese
    ½ sweet potato
    This is a good meal, might want to lose the artichoke in oil but hard to say since I don't know your real macros

Meal 3 – like dessert after lunch - 0/15/12/106
    ½ c greek yogart
    ½ c berries with stevia
    full cup greek yogurt, plain I hope

Meal 4 – 2:30 pm - 4/11/4/81
    2 tablespoons baba ganoush with bell peppers
    And how is this a meal?

Pre work out only -Kasha bar or equivalent -2/16/4/100
    Meal 5 – 7pm - 12/30/50/409
    6 oz fish (tipalia/salmon/cod/tuna)
    Roasted asparagus
    Grain bread[/QUOTE]

So the Kashi bar is preworkout, and then meal 5 is PWO? You need a better/real preworkout meal IMO.

Meal 6 - before bed - 2/5/5/45
    2 tbls Powdered Peanut Butter
    This is a snack, not a meal! This would be a good place for cottage cheese or even more greek yogurt.

DON'T HOLD BACK...give me the good/bad/ugly...cause I added more carbs cuz I was getting dizzy during workouts so maybe I add too much of what I want to eat vs. what I should be eating. I really would like to get to a certain place before the fall sets in...I have always gained weight inthe fall/winter...and hate myself come spring...except for THIS YEAR...thanks to you both!!!!![/QUOTE]

Definitely rework your macros; I didn't want to comment too much because essentially i'd be commenting on flawed information. Repost it and i'll really be able to get my hands dirty.

i am a da

Gbrice. I messed up the macros. Must have been heat exhaustion. I think I got grams and calories switched. Makes a little bit of difference. The free online program isn't that user friendly and I am a Dah. Let's just let me repost. But yeah, I am about 1300 cal of late.

Also my butt muscles are really sore. Thank you very large.

Try livestrong.com - my fav by far.

Congrats on the sore butt!!

GB...I have transfered half of my daily meals into livestrong and hope to post accurate macros in the next day or so...however, I don't think your review will be much improved from your first cut. give me another day or so and I will have it ready.

BTW- a sweet moment this evening...met up with former collegues that I haven't seen in about a year..they were in "shock" at the transformation. I mean total disbelief of my new me. It was very sweet, very nice to hear such compliments...and we will get back together in the fall so pressure on to maintain!! LOL

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    GB...I have transfered half of my daily meals into livestrong and hope to post accurate macros in the next day or so...however, I don't think your review will be much improved from your first cut. give me another day or so and I will have it ready.

BTW- a sweet moment this evening...met up with former collegues that I haven't seen in about a year..they were in "shock" at the transformation. I mean total disbelief of my new me. It was very sweet, very nice to hear such compliments...and we will get back together in the fall so pressure on to maintain!! LOL
    i understand completely!!! very proud of you the way you have transformed yourself in the past few months. now, it is the lifestyle that you must maintain, not the weight. if you continue on this lifestyle then you will never even think of going back where you came from because you are a totally different person mentally and now physically! congrats on all your progress once again and glad to hear that the caboose is getting sore!

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    i understand completely!!! very proud of you the way you have transformed yourself in the past few months. now, it is the lifestyle that you must maintain, not the weight. if you continue on this lifestyle then you will never even think of going back where you came from because you are a totally different person mentally and now physically! congrats on all your progress once again and glad to hear that the caboose is getting sore!
    00rc00 - Interesting. Never looked at it from this angle. lifestyle not scale...introspective, thoughful. Others tell me that the proof is in 2 - 3 years......another way of saying lifestyle. I still am not mentally used to the new smaller me. I think over 90% gain it all back within 9 months. In the meantime, I am trying to get the fattie clothes out of the closets so that there is no wiggle room or EVIDENCE....LMAO.

Thank you!!

I know the feeling GGR, it's WONDERFUL! I hope you ate it up! I lost my bulk of weight over 2 years ago, but once in a while I STILL get compliments. So as long as you stay on track (and I know you will), you'll continue to reap the rewards.

00rc00 - Interesting. Never looked at it from this angle. lifestyle not scale...introspective, thoughful. Others tell me that the proof is in 2 - 3 years......another way of saying lifestyle. I still am not mentally used to the new smaller me. I think over 90% gain it all back within 9 months. In the meantime, I am trying to get the fattie clothes out of the closets so that there is no wiggle room or EVIDENCE....LMAO.

Thank you!!
    Hilarious! You are funny and I agree with this totally.
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Slight change in workout requirements. I entered warriorblast 3 mile obstacle course. Yes that's the one. barb wire, fire, junk cars, ropes, wall, mud, river, run, crawl like boot camo. Got to train. Especially upper body and running. I plan to finish and finish strong! This changes my workouts. Booty plan may have to wait. Unless I can have it ALL. LOL!!!

Slight change in workout requirements. I entered warriorblast 3 mile obstacle course. Yes that's the one. barb wire, fire, junk cars, ropes, wall, mud, river, run, crawl like boot camo. Got to train. Especially upper body and running. I plan to finish and finish strong! This changes my workouts. Booty plan may have to wait. Unless I can have it ALL. LOL!!!
    Wow, respect for having the 'balls' (for lack of a better term) to do this! I wish I could come watch you falling in the mud... err... I meant I wish I could come watch to support you!

Good news - the booty plan doesn't have to change, it only needs to get more intense. Build strong legs/glutes and you'll own the course. That is not to say neglect your upper body or that you don't need upper body strength; you do. But SO much of this is lower body power and fitness... so I say, literally, get your ass in shape!!!

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    Been catching up on this thread... Keep up the work girl!

Quote Originally Posted by -KJ- View Post
    Been catching up on this thread... Keep up the work girl!
    KJ - Thanks for checkin in...it hasn't been easy, but the rewards are SUPERB...feel so MUCH BETTER! -GGR

GBrice...I think I have my macros right now that I used livestrong. It wasn't easy cuz I have been switching it up a bit varying food in the last month, because I was getting so burned out on eating the same thing every day for 4 months which was actually easier then eating different foods...I guess I needed a break and I am willing to go back to the same basic meal plan everyday for the summer months if need be.

My goals are to loose 5 more pounds of FAT from my gut area - and if I don't like the results I may seriously get a tummy tuck after lipo cuz I can. I don't really want too cuz the recovery looks long and the scar is pretty significant and not always below the bikini line - but I haven't ruled it out.

I am also wanting to add to the booty area and train for this obstacle course warriordash which is coming up mid summer timeframe.

I am 5'4', holding at 137 lbs and 21 % bodyfat depending on who measures. I am in a size 2 pants and small tops, but no curvy hips, thus the booty request. My fat is mostly in my gut area. I really have added muscle to the arms in the past month. I have no idea what I should be doing with my diet at this point. I just don't know.

Lets start with the diet in p/c/f/total calories:

Meal 1 about 8 am
    16 oz coffee with dry creamer
    ¼ c egg beaters
    Breakfast Totals 19/34/9/370

Meal 2 – Lunch about 11:30
    4 oz Turkey or chic breast
    Salad with cherry tomatoes/artichoke in oil/hearts of palm/dash of gorgonzola cheese
    ½ sweet potatoe or ½ cup brown rice
    Lunch 30/6/30/300

Meal 3 – About 1:30 pm or earlier (like a dessert)
    ½ cup Fage 0% Yogurt
    ½ c blueberries with stevia
    18 almonds
    Afternoon Snack 17/27/11/264

Meal 4 – Pre workout about 4:30 pm
    Kashi TLC Peanut Peanut Butter Granola Bar
    Pre workout 7/19/5/140

Meal 5 – Dinner about 7:15
    6oz grilled salmon
    8 roasted asparagus spears with olive oil/garlic
    Dinner 41/4/25/405

Daily totals 114/83/80/1479

This is a generic day and I really thought I was eating closer to 1300, not 1500. I think the fat is higher then should be to achieve goals, but I don't eat salmon everynight, but do eat fish like cod/tilapia or shrimp. I do a cheat day but don't go too crazy on most weeks.

Appreciate your critique. I can take it cuz I really don't want to have a tummy tuck. LOL!! Thank you!!
    Last edited by GirlyGymRat; 06-06-2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: formating

And the other half of my equation....new workout schedule for a typical week.

Su - I have 30 minutes before the spinning. I have been doing your straight leg deadlifts/squats and lunges with 40 lbs plus heavy bar in the big boy side of the gym and throw in some bicep curls with heavy free weights (heavy for me is 20 lbs but low reps and maybe standing triceps with 30 lbs low reps)

M - picked up a full body power pump class. This workout has really helped with the arms. I have been challenging my weight increase and still can't do the whole tricep workout with 8 lbs per side plus bar. I have been doing 42 lbs for squats and lunges. for my back (clean and press with squat, but I think I need to add some weight - currently at 19 lbs including bar). Prior to the class I have been running on the treadmill for 20 minutes...that's all I have time for before the class starts.

T - spin for an hour...prior to class i have about 30 good minutes to do weights. I sometimes do stomach too as warmup.

W - off

H - spin for an hour...prior to class i have about 40 minutes to do weights

F - everyother week yoga for an hour.

Sa - was doing a step class but quite frankly, it isn't always enough intensity for me, so I started running on treadmill prior to the full body power pump class, see above.

Damienm, my original mentor, gave me a lower body workout that is intense, but I need to weed out one of my current day programs, but not sure which day...and you know I love that spinning....

I also think I need to start running outside to train for the obstacle course, but again..when...I haven't alot of time left in the week and I get up at 4:30 in the morning to get to work early...commute stinks to and from...but it is what it is!!

Okay...what you think.....I am all ears. I don't really want to bulk up except in the booty and lose that tummy roll...othwise lipo and tummy tuck may have to be scheduled...hahahaha....Thank you again.

Thanks for all the detailed info GGR, i'm gonna go through it all thoroughly before I comment, so gimme a day or 2

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Thanks for all the detailed info GGR, i'm gonna go through it all thoroughly before I comment, so gimme a day or 2
    I understand. It is a lot of info and I don't think I did you any favors with the way I laid out the workout resistance training, since I am a novice with free weights and the bars (non machines).

I appreciate the input cause I have come to understand that the general public doesn't have constructive knowlegde on proper nutrition in general and for active lifestyles. Thank you! GGR

GBrice...I think I have my macros right now that I used livestrong. It wasn't easy cuz I have been switching it up a bit varying food in the last month, because I was getting so burned out on eating the same thing every day for 4 months which was actually easier then eating different foods...I guess I needed a break and I am willing to go back to the same basic meal plan everyday for the summer months if need be.
    Remember that you don't really have to eat the same FOODS every day. i.e. if Meal X calls for 4oz lean protein, that could be - chicken breast, turkey breast, egg whites, white fish, very lean beef/bison, shrimp, crab, etc (yes, shellfish is a good protein source)

I agree that it's easier to eat the exact same things every day (I do) but sometimes for sanity sake, you have to change it up. Try changing it up every week even.

My goals are to loose 5 more pounds of FAT from my gut area - and if I don't like the results I may seriously get a tummy tuck after lipo cuz I can. I don't really want too cuz the recovery looks long and the scar is pretty significant and not always below the bikini line - but I haven't ruled it out.
    If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? You can PM me if you feel more comfortable

I am also wanting to add to the booty area and train for this obstacle course warriordash which is coming up mid summer timeframe.
    Like we touched on before, you can only work with the genetics you were given. While you might not have been blessed with the biggest roundest plumpest booty, luckily for your it's a muscle and can GROW. And a shapely tight arse looks way better than a fat cottage cheese ass anyway, IMO. You can attain a nice shaped muscular (don't mistaken that to mean bumpy and cut/defined) butt, just have to work to make it grow.

I am 5'4', holding at 137 lbs and 21 % bodyfat depending on who measures. I am in a size 2 pants and small tops, but no curvy hips, thus the booty request. My fat is mostly in my gut area. I really have added muscle to the arms in the past month. I have no idea what I should be doing with my diet at this point. I just don't know.
    21% is at the very low end of the healthy range for women, so that's a very good thing. I know you dropped a decent amount of weight- how long was it that you were overweight? I wonder if you're mistaking loose skin (and some fat of course) for fat? Again, PM me pics of your midsection if you'd like. I can spot it right away, because I have it too and know how effing annoying it can be... grrrr!

Lets start with the diet in p/c/f/total calories:

Meal 1 about 8 am
    16 oz coffee with dry creamer
    ¼ c egg beaters
    Breakfast Totals 19/34/9/370
    Consider swapping out that patty for lean Canadian bacon. Also, i'd prefer to see you using 100% liquid egg whites instead of egg beaters - they put a ton of nasty sh!t in there... ever have a look at the ingredients? The macros here are decent - i'd like to see a bit more protein and a bit less fat though.

Meal 2 – Lunch about 11:30
    4 oz Turkey or chic breast
    Salad with cherry tomatoes/artichoke in oil/hearts of palm/dash of gorgonzola cheese
    ½ sweet potatoe or ½ cup brown rice
    Lunch 30/6/30/300
    Ok, so macros are definitely off here. 30g protein - great, leave it! 6g carbs? for 1/2 sweet potato or 1/2 cup brown rice? Try like 30g carbs. Either that or you mixed up the carb and fat macro - so is it 30g carbs, 6g fat or vice versa? Please clarify. If it's 30g fat, that's WAY too much in this meal IMO. I think you're through with the artichokes in oil, sorry!

Meal 3 – About 1:30 pm or earlier (like a dessert)
    ½ cup Fage 0% Yogurt
    ½ c blueberries with stevia
    18 almonds
    Afternoon Snack 17/27/11/264
    Make it a full cup of yogurt. Is this plain Fage yogurt? I'm assuming so, hence the stevia. That's your best best. However, i'd drop the blueberries here TBH... kind of a random place for sugar. If you're gonna have it, do it in meal 1, or pre/pwo.

Meal 4 – Pre workout about 4:30 pm
    Kashi TLC Peanut Peanut Butter Granola Bar
    Pre workout 7/19/5/140
    Ok, this is a crappy pre workout meal! This is where i'd love to see 1/2 a sweet potato or some brown rice - good carbs to fuel your workout, not some processed Kashi bar. I'd replace this meal with a lean protein (even if it has to be a shake for convenience sake) and a good complex carb (oats would be another excellent choice). Is this possible?

Meal 5 – Dinner about 7:15
    6oz grilled salmon
    8 roasted asparagus spears with olive oil/garlic
    Dinner 41/4/25/405
    LOVE the salmon here, excellent choice. Don't love the added EVOO though. I get it; asparagus is excellent that way, but simply too much fat in this meal. The salmon is the better fat choice, so can you possibly grill the asparagus with just the tiniest bit of oil? How much are you actually using?

Daily totals 114/83/80/1479
    As you already said (below), calories may be a bit high for you. I'd shoot for 1300 as you said - a cleaner 1300 and then monitor yourself. Also, your fat macro is WAY too high. I'm at 2500 calories and my fat macro is like 65g, so just think of that. Fat is over 30% of your intake. I'd like to see something more like:

150g protein
    100g carbs
    35g fat

or

150g protein
    75g carbs
    45g fat

either way, you're around 1300 calories

This is a generic day and I really thought I was eating closer to 1300, not 1500. I think the fat is higher then should be to achieve goals, but I don't eat salmon everynight, but do eat fish like cod/tilapia or shrimp. I do a cheat day but don't go too crazy on most weeks.
    Consider going with a cheat meal instead of a full day. If you are eating at only a slight deficit during your 6 'dieting' days, you can EASILY negate that with a full blown cheat day. I strongly suggest you choose 1 great cheat meal a week - go all out, meal, dessert, glass of wine, whatever you like - but then back to the diet.

Appreciate your critique. I can take it cuz I really don't want to have a tummy tuck. LOL!! Thank you!!
    This is why I wanna know your age. I doubt you need a tummy tuck and would hate to see you scar yourself unnecessarily

I will go over the workout portion of this shortly. Double check the macros on that one meal, and then try to hit closer to what I have above, I believe it will serve you much better.

And the other half of my equation....new workout schedule for a typical week.

Su - I have 30 minutes before the spinning. I have been doing your straight leg deadlifts/squats and lunges with 40 lbs plus heavy bar in the big boy side of the gym and throw in some bicep curls with heavy free weights (heavy for me is 20 lbs but low reps and maybe standing triceps with 30 lbs low reps)
    Wow, that's alot of leg work in a single day. Is this a workout you're doing with just a Kashi bar?

Quote Originally Posted by girlgymrat
    M - picked up a full body power pump class. This workout has really helped with the arms. I have been challenging my weight increase and still can't do the whole tricep workout with 8 lbs per side plus bar. I have been doing 42 lbs for squats and lunges. for my back (clean and press with squat, but I think I need to add some weight - currently at 19 lbs including bar). Prior to the class I have been running on the treadmill for 20 minutes...that's all I have time for before the class starts.
    Ok, first glaring problem - you're working legs 2 days in a row. Assuming you want to keep this class, i'd drop the work on Sunday (stick with the spin and do some ab work instead) and move it to another day... ideally Thursday. You have 40 mins so that should be perfect. You need to allow time for your muscles to recover. Legs are the biggest muscle group and if you're going to work them 2x a week (many people don't, but you're personally not going for size so it's ok IMO), those workouts need to be spread apart.

T - spin for an hour...prior to class i have about 30 good minutes to do weights. I sometimes do stomach too as warmup.
    I'd probably leave this day as is. You've done a total body workout the day before. Realize that the workouts you're doing are more conducive to shaping and toning vs. building muscle, but I assume that's you're goal anyway.

W - off
    Ok, to take a rest day, but if you really wanna up the intensity add some cardio here

H - spin for an hour...prior to class i have about 40 minutes to do weights
    Make this you're 'heavy' leg day. Squats, walking lunges, stiff leg deads, etc.

F - everyother week yoga for an hour.
    What about the weeks without yoga? This would be a good opportunity to get in an upper body weight workout. Chest, shoulders, arms, back. Now you have a total body workout 'toning' type routine on Monday, and a more standard 'building' routine for lower body on Thursday and upper body on Friday.

Sa - was doing a step class but quite frankly, it isn't always enough intensity for me, so I started running on treadmill prior to the full body power pump class, see above.
    Cool, cardio here only.

Damienm, my original mentor, gave me a lower body workout that is intense, but I need to weed out one of my current day programs, but not sure which day...and you know I love that spinning....
    Not sure what you're saying here - you need to eliminate working completely for one of the above days? If so, i'd take out Saturday. So you'll workout Sunday/Monday/Tuesday, off Wednesday, workout Thursday/Friday off Saturday.

I also think I need to start running outside to train for the obstacle course, but again..when...I haven't alot of time left in the week and I get up at 4:30 in the morning to get to work early...commute stinks to and from...but it is what it is!!
    Same here, exact same - 4:30am wakeup, at the gym by 5:45am UGH! This isn't one I can help you with; only you know if/when you have any spare time to run outside. Where do you live? Do you have decent weather pretty much all year round, or do you need to get this outdoor activity in during the spring/summer?

Okay...what you think.....I am all ears. I don't really want to bulk up except in the booty and lose that tummy roll...othwise lipo and tummy tuck may have to be scheduled...hahahaha....Thank you again.
    I think that the lower body workout 2x a week (your total body workout + a leg day) with REST TIME in between will make a huge difference. Let me know what you think about the schedule i've proposed above. If you like it we can work out specific routines.

Like we touched on before, you can only work with the genetics you were given. While you might not have been blessed with the biggest roundest plumpest booty, luckily for your it's a muscle and can GROW. And a shapely tight arse looks way better than a fat cottage cheese ass anyway, IMO. You can attain a nice shaped muscular (don't mistaken that to mean bumpy and cut/defined) butt, just have to work to make it grow.

i am working on it. been very sore and even difficult to sit during the day. the one good point you make is that I do not have a bit of cottage cheese on my butt or legs and I know that it is somewhat if not all heredity...so a shout out to mom and dad!!

21% is at the very low end of the healthy range for women, so that's a very good thing. I know you dropped a decent amount of weight- how long was it that you were overweight? I wonder if you're mistaking loose skin (and some fat of course) for fat? Again, PM me pics of your midsection if you'd like. I can spot it right away, because I have it too and know how effing annoying it can be... grrrr!

probably about 9 - 10 years between 150 and 170 but mostly on the high end. i got loose skin and fat. no doubt about it

Consider swapping out that patty for lean Canadian bacon. Also, i'd prefer to see you using 100% liquid egg whites instead of egg beaters - they put a ton of nasty sh!t in there... ever have a look at the ingredients? The macros here are decent - i'd like to see a bit more protein and a bit less fat though.

I guess I need to be exact with my macros...newbie mistake...I am eating 99% liquid egg whites so technically not egg beaters. I will swap out the patty for lean canadian bacon or increase the liquid egg whites.

Ok, so macros are definitely off here. 30g protein - great, leave it! 6g carbs? for 1/2 sweet potato or 1/2 cup brown rice? Try like 30g carbs. Either that or you mixed up the carb and fat macro - so is it 30g carbs, 6g fat or vice versa? Please clarify. If it's 30g fat, that's WAY too much in this meal IMO. I think you're through with the artichokes in oil, sorry!

yes, good eye...another newbie mistake. correct macro is 30g P/ 30g C / 6g Fat so I get to keep the artichokes in oil?? I can do without...

Make it a full cup of yogurt. Is this plain Fage yogurt? I'm assuming so, hence the stevia. That's your best best. However, i'd drop the blueberries here TBH... kind of a random place for sugar. If you're gonna have it, do it in meal 1, or pre/pwo.

yes plain fage yogurt and I will drop the blueberries and instead but cinammon on top!! originally this was a mid morning snack at 1/2 cup and then I moved it to the afternoon. clearly i don't understand what time of day to eat what type of food. is there ever a RANDOM place for SUGAR....not for a SUGAR TOOTH...LMAO! Will look to move the whole meal back to mid morning with blueberries or keep where it is without the berries and move then to pwo which is after work...early evening

Ok, this is a crappy pre workout meal! This is where i'd love to see 1/2 a sweet potato or some brown rice - good carbs to fuel your workout, not some processed Kashi bar. I'd replace this meal with a lean protein (even if it has to be a shake for convenience sake) and a good complex carb (oats would be another excellent choice). Is this possible?

well i was getting dizzy lifting my 43 lb over my head for squats in my full body power pump class....I would love to do a shake here!! Until I find a shake that doesnot have too much sugar added, I have been doing oatmeal...and I love oatmeal, but I think this is too much fiber oats for the girlgymrat...not working for my system and lets just leave it to your imagination!!

LOVE the salmon here, excellent choice. Don't love the added EVOO though. I get it; asparagus is excellent that way, but simply too much fat in this meal. The salmon is the better fat choice, so can you possibly grill the asparagus with just the tiniest bit of oil? How much are you actually using?

I checked this weekend and use 2 tblspoons for 6 servings of 8 ea. I grill the in al foil so some of the oil is still in the foil when I toss into the trash...I can put PAM on the foil and then drizzle 1 TBLS over the top??? would this work??

As you already said (below), calories may be a bit high for you. I'd shoot for 1300 as you said - a cleaner 1300 and then monitor yourself. Also, your fat macro is WAY too high. I'm at 2500 calories and my fat macro is like 65g, so just think of that. Fat is over 30% of your intake. I'd like to see something more like:

150g protein
    100g carbs
    35g fat

or

150g protein
    75g carbs
    45g fat

either way, you're around 1300 calories

Consider going with a cheat meal instead of a full day. If you are eating at only a slight deficit during your 6 'dieting' days, you can EASILY negate that with a full blown cheat day. I strongly suggest you choose 1 great cheat meal a week - go all out, meal, dessert, glass of wine, whatever you like - but then back to the diet.

I don't go crazy on the cheat day, but have noticed I haven't been as exact on the other days with RANDOM eating here and there. Your new macros look better and I will adjust meals and then give the macros another shot. I have been trying to eat 150g P and I can. I have been cheating terrible the last few days...a little here and there and feel like CRAP. Went out for lunch and ate way too much food..sushi, but still much more then I would had I brought lunch from home.

This is why I wanna know your age. I doubt you need a tummy tuck and would hate to see you scar yourself unnecessarily

I will go over the workout portion of this shortly. Double check the macros on that one meal, and then try to hit closer to what I have above, I believe it will serve you much better.
    That one meal was off so Daily totals would have been 114P/114C/56F/1479. I need to add the protein and cut the carbs and fat. I will work on the new meal plans and get myself back on track.

If you wish for me to move the yogart with almonds to pre lunch, I can do that if you think it works better...on weekdays I always workout after work.

Thank you again. Been very very helpful although I am looking forward to hitting a maintenance diet...perhaps in the fall....

I had a cheat meal Thursday and ended up pucking a few hours later...4 pieces of pizza, small piece of birthday cake with tons of icing and a little scoop of birthday cake flavored ice cream. some doritos chips and twizzler sticks...perhaps too many carbs. Felt like crap for half the day Friday, didn't want to look at food till after 1 and then only ate my bland egg whites and oatmeal. It was a rough. I am cured of thick crust pizza.

I tried to redeem myself today but running 4 mile training hill and full body power pump class. I was strong after having slept 12 hours recovering my silliness the day before. Monday is the start of my new year so I celebrate tonite with some wine. LOL!!!!

Week 25...I am happy to report that it looks like I am down 2 more pounds since my last "scale" update maybe a month and a half back. (and I seem to have taken a month off of the strickness and the routine - if I admit it to myself or not). I started back to a more, shall we say, structured approach week ago today and low and behold, I seem to have dropped a half pound in this week. IMAGINE THAT. So I would like to say that I am 137 and holding for the moment. Yeh!!

I am working out and training, but mot so sure I got this all figured out yet. Seems that I am working legs too many days in a row, but I don't seem to mind so much, except Sunday. for some reason the running on Saturday then the weights seem to take there toll come Sunday and the first 20 minutes of spinnng class is like hello quads until I warm up and then I seem to be fine.

I am still trying to figure out the new meal/macro and I have to honest in saying that I don't always understand why I am eating certain foods or not eating certain foods at this or that time of day. Seems almost like I should avoid carbs and fats together, but always take in the protein. I don't know the science around eating healthy fats and I don't get that salmon for dinner is an excellent choice, but EVOO at lunch isn't so wize. I would like to think it doesn't matter, cuz it would be easier, but it isn't easy. Seems folks that do not have a naturally high metabolism, don't get a much of a pass during the week. A big cheat could be like starting over from square one for the week.

I have put on more muscle. Arms are defined = enough for me. Booty is not growing as fast as I would like, but seems to be coming along - harder but still have the butt sag. The legs are now cut from the knee to the butt too...separation all the way even when not worked. Defined hamstrings. Even the back is getting more definition. But that dang belly fat/tummy area is just driving me bananas. I know, tis the last.....

sometimes you need to listen to your body and rest. you also need to keep your sanity! the butt thing will take time, just like the rest of your body. it takes a while to grow that muscle so just keep at it. i suggest what GB mentioned above for legs, you need to let them recover after a big leg day. you need to go back and re-read some of the stickies in the diet section. it will help you understand why you are eating so much protein and why you need carbs and healthy fats. i will try and find some simple articles to help when i have some time. in the mean time, just do a simple google search or ask these questions in a thread and i am sure everyone will chime in. and keep up the progress, consistency is key!

sometimes you need to listen to your body and rest. you also need to keep your sanity! the butt thing will take time, just like the rest of your body. it takes a while to grow that muscle so just keep at it. i suggest what GB mentioned above for legs, you need to let them recover after a big leg day. you need to go back and re-read some of the stickies in the diet section. it will help you understand why you are eating so much protein and why you need carbs and healthy fats. i will try and find some simple articles to help when i have some time. in the mean time, just do a simple google search or ask these questions in a thread and i am sure everyone will chime in. and keep up the progress, consistency is key!
    I agree. Carbs pre work out to provide the fuel, protein pwo for muscle recovery. Carbs arlier in the day better then last meal so have time to burn thru em so they don't hang around at night to take up residence on my body as tummy roll. Protein thru day. I guess it is just the fat intake that has me scratching my head. Salmon has a lot of healthy fat, but I am eating it a couple hours before I lay my head down to rest, which doesn't make any sense to me.

I have worked out Sat/Sun/M/T/W and I am tired. So I will take tomorrow off and hit it on Friday and over the weekend!
    Last edited by GirlyGymRat; 06-29-2011 at 08:06 PM. Reason: premature post...LOL

Been spending more time investigating cosmetic surgery then I have on my food macros. I have come to the conclusion that women opt for breast enlargement over breast lifts cuz far less scaring. I also realize I can solve my booty problem by having lipo in the tummy and turn around, literally, and pump those fat cells into a plumper booty. I can't imagine getting rid of fat and then injecting back into MY body?!?

Week 26 and I am down a half pound, which surprises me after the good eats and drink last weekend. Measurements are the same but seems like the legs are getting leaner (which I believe to be from running).

Leaving for a weekend retreat - food included, and I have been told it is very healthy. I am packing some whey protein powder, cuz I seem to require more protein then the average gal. I will just make the healthiest food choices and get back to it come Monday!

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have been havin fun ever since....the food at the retreat was good....too good and I have been sabotaging myself ever since. More then one cheat meal per week dinner out 2/3 times per week, concert tomorrow night (tailgating from 3 pm on)....this could be ugly.

I weighed in and measured today and I have gained a 1/2 inch back in the girls (which I fear is BACK FAT) and NOTHING on the booty. All other measurements same; weight holding about 137/8. I am about 2 pounds heavier this month then last month which is causing me a little distress. I am squeezing in as many workouts as I can, but think I am falling into the trap of workout and eat more, especially bread. I have been a bit more stressed at work and am making bad choices, almost daily. I am hitting the weights/running/spinning...but diet is not in check.

Still...OP say look too thin...blah blah blah....I would really like to get down to 130 and call it good. I tend to gain in Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec so I need to get off this bunny trail....it is goin NO WHERE!!

Hippity hop back on that bunny trail..... and you will be just fine. You know you got what it takes. Gotta trust yourself.
    Author Unknown

GGR, get your ass together! haha, just messin wit ya. i know the feeling that you are going thru. i did the same thing and made bad food choices as well. the thing that helped me was logging into this account and talk about it. another thing that helps is going thru other people's threads and seeing what they are eating. trust me, it was the only thing that got me back on track. we are here for ya so make it a habit to look more than once a week. you will be fine, just a speed bump!

Slimmer and RC...thanks for the words of encouragement. I am going to reevaluate what I am doing. I have been maintaining but I am 3 pounds heavier in July then June. I changed my work outs to add more lifting and running and increased to 6 days a week, but not workout like the machine RC ; )

I am not eating clean. I am tired...physically tired and sore muscles. I may just pull back on weights and kick up the cardio again and see how the body responds. I felt like I was within striking range of 130 last month and now 7/8 pounds away, not so much. Frustrating, but this board has helped me to understand that many many people with great bodies work hard at it EVERYDAY for YEARS. Hats off to ya'll!!

And i have been looking into lipo suction...the cheaters way, but I genetically carry my fat/weight in the stomach and it is so stubborn that fat. gross actually.

Slimmer and RC...thanks for the words of encouragement. I am going to reevaluate what I am doing. I have been maintaining but I am 3 pounds heavier in July then June. I changed my work outs to add more lifting and running and increased to 6 days a week, but not workout like the machine RC ; )

I am not eating clean. I am tired...physically tired and sore muscles. I may just pull back on weights and kick up the cardio again and see how the body responds. I felt like I was within striking range of 130 last month and now 7/8 pounds away, not so much. Frustrating, but this board has helped me to understand that many many people with great bodies work hard at it EVERYDAY for YEARS. Hats off to ya'll!!
    YOU are FUNNY! I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything.....or else!
    Author Unknown

You last 2 posts struck my funny bone for hours last night! I needed the laugh....I kept going around saying to myself" Hats off to ya!" and just laughing with tears rolling down my cheeks. Plus the "cheaters way" comment.....

You were on a roll yesterday....THANKS!
    Author Unknown

Slimmer...glad I could give you comic relief!!!

I am serious about the lipo, but I am getting a TON of CRAPOLA about this with some of my friends. I am really quiet a naturalist, so it just doesn't seem right to my peeps. I am finding out just how many of the gf and neighbors have had tummy tucks/lipo. WHO KNEW all the CHEATERS walking around me! Now I am thinking I can get the girls lifted back up and then discover the lollipop scar is totally unattractive and perhaps now the "natural look" under the muscle is a better idea and perhaps alittle this and that....30K later I should just sign up for a Mommy Makeover and get my nose done too.

I don't know..at some point, could get addictive! Did I happen to mention that I have an addictive personality....

I am telling you this: Get on stage! You are a natural comic!

If you want to do the tummy tuck especially after losing all of the weight you have lost, then by all means if with a good doc and you really want to do it? then might be a good idea. So many of my friends do so many things...botox, collagen etc ...
    I am the natural one too. Always have been. So I can only imagine how your friends are reacting to your idea...

Meantime, keep up your delightful sense of humor.
    Author Unknown

ps: I bet 90% of the members here have an addictive personality. Or at best, here is one more.
    Author Unknown

My opinion - you need a break from all of it, physically, mentally... not a break like stop working out and eat whatever you want, but stop working out, don't think about it, then come back with a vengeance. We all need a break, this thing gets tired sometimes, and we burn out. Better to take a week or 2 off than to wind up burning out and being off for an indefinite length of time...

my .02

My opinion - you need a break from all of it, physically, mentally... not a break like stop working out and eat whatever you want, but stop working out, don't think about it, then come back with a vengeance. We all need a break, this thing gets tired sometimes, and we burn out. Better to take a week or 2 off than to wind up burning out and being off for an indefinite length of time...

my .02
    Good idea, but will have to wait until after this little obstacle course run coming up. Been working out 6 days per week and my body is tired. I took off tonight, lied down and slept 6 hours...woke up and wondering 'who does that?', but must have needed it.

Good news...booty plan seems to be working...comment was "is more shapely/rounded - not as flat". Since that is such a big muscle...maybe I put on 3 lbs of a$$....LOL!!

^^ oh yea, forgot about the course!! When is that again?

Congrats about the booty - that was the goal, right? Do you still want more? Do YOU notice the difference?

It's quite possible you put on some muscle... I wouldn't put much creedence in what the scale says. By itself, it's not much of a tool for measurement. Factor in how you look (mirror), how clothes fit, etc. Measurements with a tailor's tape are a pretty accurate way to go.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread Information