Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Newer lady member needing diet & workout guidance

GirlyGymRat is online now Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Today was my one week weigh in and I am down one pound. I am ecstatic...really...remember, cookie exchange, 3 parties and the holiday cheer...I am simply thrilled!! My goal is to maintain during this month, but come January...I am all in!!

Tried to make my own oatmeal cookies today....came out more like porridge so perfection awaits.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Glad to hear this! Especially this time of year.....and cookie soup? sounds yummy LOL!

I made it thru the worst eating part of the holidays and vacation...just got a little stomach virus and hopefully it isn't a stomach bug, but beginning to think otherwise

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Great job GGR, and I feel ya on just maintaining right now... come January, IT'S ON!!!

Sorry you're feeling like crap - my wife has the flu. =(

Hope you feel better soon, keep us posted!

GBRICE...since you asked in PP's thread. I am doing ok. I revised my eating plan in December during all those parties and the all inclusive vacation, cookie exchange..blah blah blah, so I decided to not gain any weight in month of December and I did that even with all that stuff going on. My one sore spot is evenings...I need to watch then...bad habit eating sweets at nite. My sugar is too high...so I shouldn't be doing it...it is like I am killing myself one m&m at a time. STUPID.

I relocate Monday to a new assignment and those before me have come back 10 lbs heavier in 4 months. I plan to loose 30 lbs in that time! I ran my daily intake and will need to reduce calories to 1350 a day to accomplish this. Seems low, but I'll make some tweaks along the way, maybe look into more carbs on workout days. If I run into problems with progress, I'll repost daily meals for tweaks.

I have taken measurement and photos, and may be brave enough to share them....when I make some progress. I will post my status weekly for accountability. Promise!

Quote Originally Posted by girlgymrat View Post
    GBRICE...since you asked in PP's thread. I am doing ok. I revised my eating plan in December during all those parties and the all inclusive vacation, cookie exchange..blah blah blah, so I decided to not gain any weight in month of December and I did that even with all that stuff going on. My one sore spot is evenings...I need to watch then...bad habit eating sweets at nite. My sugar is too high...so I shouldn't be doing it...it is like I am killing myself one m&m at a time. STUPID.

I relocate Monday to a new assignment and those before me have come back 10 lbs heavier in 4 months. I plan to loose 30 lbs in that time! I ran my daily intake and will need to reduce calories to 1350 a day to accomplish this. Seems low, but I'll make some tweaks along the way, maybe look into more carbs on workout days. If I run into problems with progress, I'll repost daily meals for tweaks.

I have taken measurement and photos, and may be brave enough to share them....when I make some progress. I will post my status weekly for accountability. Promise!
    Wow, congrats! That's huge, that you were able to maintain during this insane time! I'm saying this as I have cookies baking in the oven... literally right now. I'm getting ALL the poison out of my system this weekend, lol!

Glad to hear you're getting braver and closer to sharing your pics with us. No rush on that, you'll know when you feel confident enough to do so. But yes, please do keep us posted with your progress. Great job so far! =)

Damien/Gbrice…I have relocated and the first week was a little crazy as I was traveling with someone who liked to sabotage my workouts and diet by eating out. I put up a good fight and dropped ‘em off at the hotel and then went to the gym or offered the keys so I could be picked up when done.

This week, I did pretty good with diet and exercise. My arms look more cut, and thinner in the face but not that gut. Two words…belly fat.

Did I mention that there is an extremely obese woman trying to get out of my body??

I am in a new region and there is a product here that is popular. Women have been suggesting I look into it. At this moment I can’t not recall the name. Gist is drink tea that kicks up metabolism and two shakes with specialized protein as determined by a step on “the iron man” computerized scale and a 3/400 calorie meal. Ladies have dropped 30 lbs in 4 months with no exercise. I think people just gain the weight back as they reach their goal and start to eat food. I really like to chew my food, and give this program from Damien a good old college try. Your thoughts on these programs?

First weigh in was 05Dec10, maintained for balance of month. Since 01Jan11down 5.3 pounds.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Congrats!

As for the crash programs mentioned above - nonsense. Sure, there are tools to speed up the metabolism so to speak but diet and exercise yield the physiques we want and not just numbers on the scale.

Props to you! I bet you are pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    Congrats!.
    You (and Gbrice) da man!

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    Props to you! I bet you are pleased.
    You bet I am Thanks for the support!

I'm with Damien on this. There are a million shortcuts out there for lazy people (not saying that's you), but those are the same people who yo-yo diet and never REALLY beat their demons. I know that's not you! On the other hand, people who change their lives to reach their goals almost always make it permanent. You know what you need to do!! =)

got some kind of stomach virus and haven't been able to tolerate anything other then saltine crackers and chicken broth. down another 2 pounds in the last 3 days, but I think it could be dehydration or muscle loss since I haven't been able to work out in the past 6 days.

nk92mi is offline Junior Member
    that sux! and yeah it is most probably water loss. try to add in a protein shake or something to that nature, to help with your nutrient deficit. hope you get better soon!

got some kind of stomach virus and haven't been able to tolerate anything other then saltine crackers and chicken broth. down another 2 pounds in the last 3 days, but I think it could be dehydration or muscle loss since I haven't been able to work out in the past 6 days.
    Sorry to hear that. =(

Feel better soon, let us know when you bounce back!

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    yeah, its gona be water, you wont lose muscle tht fast

Just got thru with spinning and cardio/strength. I feel so SO much better on the days I work out. I was getting a bit cranky.

Thanks GBrice, nk92mi and Dec11 for the well wishes. Very sweet of you all!! It was definitely water cuz I gained it all back in the last 2 days.

My stomach muscles were sore from pucking. (I know, TMI, TMI). In this new location, it seems to be mostly spinning but very little, if any, resistance training. Is this a problem? Should I be doing a core workout? Or just not be too concerned at this moment?

Just got thru with spinning and cardio/strength. I feel so SO much better on the days I work out. I was getting a bit cranky.

Thanks GBrice, nk92mi and Dec11 for the well wishes. Very sweet of you all!! It was definitely water cuz I gained it all back in the last 2 days.

My stomach muscles were sore from pucking. (I know, TMI, TMI). In this new location, it seems to be mostly spinning but very little, if any, resistance training. Is this a problem? Should I be doing a core workout? Or just not be too concerned at this moment?
    Glad you're feeling better GGR!

Spin is great for cardio, I do it 2x a week myself in place of my own cardio, keeps things fresh. However, are you saying you don't have the ability to do resistance training where you are, or that there are no classes? I'm confused...

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Glad you're feeling better GGR!

I'm confused...
    Then that makes both of us!

I noticed last nite that my stomach is weak..for ex. side planks and planks - had to rest, couldn't do all the reps. Pitiful!

Gym scheduled group fitness offerings on at the same time, so I have choices M/W/H. F/S offers spin and body pump (60 min total body barbell wout). Gym closed on Sunday. Truth be told - I think I am a spin addict.

Here is what I try to do on a "normal" week, with options to change it up. What do you think? My Goals lose weight, lean out, firm with some definition but not over the top.
    M - spin
    T- I have been taking this nite off
    W - spin if I can get into the class but I can opt for a barbell workout
    H - spin but I could spin for a half hour and then move to a yoga/pilates for an hour
    F - spin
    S - spin everyother week and can add a barbell class

BTW...so do I understand you may be a Daddy soon??? Sweet!

see bold

Then that makes both of us!

I noticed last nite that my stomach is weak..for ex. side planks and planks - had to rest, couldn't do all the reps. Pitiful!

Don't sweat it. My ab day this week was pathetic - I was stronger last week. No rhyme or reason, it's just like that sometimes. See how you feel next time

Gym scheduled group fitness offerings on at the same time, so I have choices M/W/H. F/S offers spin and body pump (60 min total body barbell wout). Gym closed on Sunday. Truth be told - I think I am a spin addict.

Spin is sweet, great cardio!

Here is what I try to do on a "normal" week, with options to change it up. What do you think? My Goals lose weight, lean out, firm with some definition but not over the top.
    M - spin
    T- I have been taking this nite off
    W - spin if I can get into the class but I can opt for a barbell workout
    H - spin but I could spin for a half hour and then move to a yoga/pilates for an hour
    F - spin
    S - spin everyother week and can add a barbell class

IMO - you can do spin every day if you'd like, but why can't you simply incorporate your own little resistance training routine either before or after spin? I'm just trying to understand why you seem to be relying on classes for that, or am I missing something here? Still confused, Lmao!!

BTW...so do I understand you may be a Daddy soon??? Sweet!

Workin on it! I'm an old man... it's SO time... I can't wait any longer! At least i've been getting in some extra cardio, lol!

Let's see if this helps
    1. i get energy from group classes
    2. free weights / machines are intimidating to me - I call it "the dark side" of the gym..hahaha
    3. just want to get my workout in...men come over and want to chit chat chit chat (sorry guys). Some losers are so darn persistent (sorry losers) and don't want to come across as rude. I must have a friendly face. I am a private person - took a lot of courage for me to put this post on the boards.

As far as you and the baby plans...that's awesome, but I think this could just be another part of your cutting cycle. Sqeeze a little cardio in any way you can!!

First off, congrats on that recent epiphany GB - If your parenting is 1/2 as good as your diet advice/benevolant demeanor here, that'll be one lucky kid.

GGR - I haven't been reading threads much lately but I'm so glad you're keeping us up to date.

I understand the need to not come off as a jerk/bitch as I'm the type to avoid girls after intimacy rather than tell them I'm not interested. Overshare? Sorry. Point being, it's wrong and it would be a lot better for everyone if I was just brutally honest. Do the same! Don't let clowns detract from your workout potential - tell them "I'm sorry but I have a lot of sets I've gotta get to today, please go masturbate somewhere" - I get so mad when I see guys being persistent with women in the gym. I consider it a place of business! As for the separate issue of being intimidated by the big boy section for lack of experience - just watch some youtube videos. Do a search on sqauts, deadlifts, curls, you name it and there'll be a good video that shows proper form/technique available. Free weights are great not only because you can achieve full/optimal ranges of motion but because you expend a lot of energy just carrying them around, setting them up and you also bring in a lot of stabilizing muscles when balancing them during the motion.

Damien...thanks for checking in on me. This thread is helping me keep the focus.

My "fattie" pants are loose, and I am into a smaller size. Loving that.

Trolls in the gym. Hate that.

Let's see if this helps
    1. i get energy from group classes
    2. free weights / machines are intimidating to me - I call it "the dark side" of the gym..hahaha
    3. just want to get my workout in...men come over and want to chit chat chit chat (sorry guys). Some losers are so darn persistent (sorry losers) and don't want to come across as rude. I must have a friendly face. I am a private person - took a lot of courage for me to put this post on the boards.

As far as you and the baby plans...that's awesome, but I think this could just be another part of your cutting cycle. Sqeeze a little cardio in any way you can!!
    I can understand you feeling intimidated by the weightroom - I often observe and wonder how women feel about it, all loud, guys all over the place grunting and what not. But I have to tell you, nothing looks cooler then a girl who get's right in there, ignores all the dudes, has her headphones on and just does her thing! I admire that... in my mind i'm like "you go girl!!!" lol!

I agree with Damien on this - don't shortchange yourself because you're worried about guys coming up to you. Nothing wrong with saying hello, etc but if it's obvious somebody is hitting on you, just politely tell them you're here for your workout and would like to get back to it. These idiots should know women aren't in the gym to be picked up. I also hate when I see these persistent jerk offs following girls around the gym like lost puppies... very annoying to watch!

LoL! With my recent weekend diet habits, I need all the extra cardio I can get!

Lightbulb just went off...the headphones. Great idea! I can look past anyone and not hear em too!!

BTW, trolling goes both ways. The guy trolls just get confused between the women trolls and women working out.

I did spin and barbell workout..which was perfect...instructor with great form and technique. Actually, better then my gym at home.

However, I did a kickboxing class day before and seemed to have re-injured my shoulder AGAIN. Did not have enough 2 lb weights so I ended up with 3 (i know, sounds light to you guys). I have been plagued with tendonitis in my shoulders, but iritated it recently. Seems to jump from side to side; this time between the front and middle heads – very painful - feels on fire at the moment.

I think I need a cortisone shot to get me through the next 4 months. I found a clinic nearby that I hope will be able to help me out.

Tomorrow is my weigh in day but I can't use the same scale as last week so hoping measuring tape is my friend...

OMGosh...different scale but down 8.6 lbs in total.

measurements improved alll over except waist . tummy roll down an inch but so is bust

rest 2day and watch a couple football games...it is gonna be a great day!

Lightbulb just went off...the headphones. Great idea! I can look past anyone and not hear em too!!

BTW, trolling goes both ways. The guy trolls just get confused between the women trolls and women working out.

I did spin and barbell workout..which was perfect...instructor with great form and technique. Actually, better then my gym at home.

However, I did a kickboxing class day before and seemed to have re-injured my shoulder AGAIN. Did not have enough 2 lb weights so I ended up with 3 (i know, sounds light to you guys). I have been plagued with tendonitis in my shoulders, but iritated it recently. Seems to jump from side to side; this time between the front and middle heads – very painful - feels on fire at the moment.

I think I need a cortisone shot to get me through the next 4 months. I found a clinic nearby that I hope will be able to help me out.

Tomorrow is my weigh in day but I can't use the same scale as last week so hoping measuring tape is my friend...
    You haven't been wearing headphones??? You found your answer! Headphones say 'i'm serious about my workout and i'm not here for conversation, so leave me alone'! Now i'm not gonna lie - there are some guys who are so oblivious or desperate, they'll still approach you - but the headphones will cut out about 80% of that chance, plus will allow you to focus on what you have to do and not be distracted by any noise in the weightroom. Try it out and let me know how it goes!

Sorry about your injury...

I'm fighting through 3 myself - right elbow/forearm, right side back muscle pull, right over the lung, and a dislocated middle finger on the left hand which really screws up ALL of my pulling exercises.

Sometimes we just need to take a good break and let them rest - I want to do deadlifts this week but I know i'll only hurt my back more, and won't be able to work out with max effort anyway due to the injury. I have to give up pull ups because my middle finger can't take the weight, and I can't even do barbell curls because of my right arm. ARGH! I'm 35 wtf!!!

So, if you can stay off of it, i'd say do that. If this is a long and persistent problem, maybe cortisone will help.

OMGosh...different scale but down 8.6 lbs in total.

measurements improved alll over except waist . tummy roll down an inch but so is bust

rest 2day and watch a couple football games...it is gonna be a great day!
    Congrats!!!! Different scale or not, you're definitely down - no scale is going to be off by more then 8lbs lol!

Waist may be the last to go... it often is so don't get discouraged. I got down to 12% bodyfat and still had these big ass love handles... looked like 2 flank steaks hanging off my back... annoying as hell but that's where I store my most stubborn fat. Your's may be your waist. Haha, with female weight loss, the bust almost always reduces a bit too. Nothing you can really do there.... just enjoy your overall better looking body - people will notice that more then a smaller chest. =)

First Month Summary

End of week 4 and I am down 1 loosey pound from last week. Measurement delta in 7 days: Waist down 1 in. Nothing on that tummy roll. And my butt (not that I needed to loose anything from there) is down 1/2 inch. I added some tone and weights to the routine this past week and continued with lots of cardio. Now, I did have a bagel on 2 mornings with natty pb...which isn't in the diet...and I did my cheat day, but didn't go too crazy...so today, I am back on the plan.

First month summary, down 10 pounds; one inch in my waist; NOT even a mil in my tummy roll and lost in places I don't need/don't want.

Still Trending Down

Different scale again this week, down 1.5 lbs. Tummy roll down 1/2 inch, butt down 1/2 inch, and leg measurements down overall. Arms also leaning out. Bust also down an inch. No change in waist.

People noticing that I am losing so some feedback.....don't loose too much, you look just fine now, if you loose 20 more you will be skinny and you can be too thin....blah, blah, blah. But not from my fitness friends...they are more encouraging and offer helpful tips...like switch from hummus to roasted eggplant.

I haven't been able to workout for the past week due to work schedule. This week should be good for workouts, but the food will be more challenging - more opportunities for random cheats.

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Good job so far, hit the gym hard this week and get that muscle built up to get the look you want and to burn more fat.

Great job GGR, you finally managed to drop some size on that 'tummy roll' you've been obsessing about! =) You should be very happy and proud of yourself.

NEVER listen to the non-fitness people telling you that you're too skinny, etc. When I first lost the bulk of my weight, I had people telling me "omg, don't lose another pound, you're gonna look sick, you're perfect now... etc", meanwhile, I was still able to fill an A-cup. These people have no idea and could never understand our goals. Their intentions are good, but they just don't get it.

Stick with the advice and compliments from people 'in the know', people who are in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    Good job so far, hit the gym hard this week and get that muscle built up to get the look you want and to burn more fat.
    I will...Thanks for coaching tips TBody. A massage therapist took a look at my right shoulder and thinks I could have a slight tear in the rotator cuff. That's not why I didn't work out last week; but is an irritant when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Great job GGR, you finally managed to drop some size on that 'tummy roll' you've been obsessing about! =) You should be very happy and proud of yourself.

Stick with the advice and compliments from people 'in the know', people who are in this game.

Actually, I am pinching myself! I am not really hungry on this eating plan (SHOUT OUT to Damien) and I am losing....including that pesty tummy roll, albeit just a little. I do have a tendancy to lose from my extremities first, so I am not surprised by the pattern of loss.

I REALLY appreciate the guidance/support from you and other members of this site. I did not know what to eat and when! Someone I have the utmost respect for suggested I look at BB sites since BBs cut and gain all the time and know how to use food/exercise to change the body. I was on another site first, but didn't get good karma there. I have done almost every FAD diet known to women and always gained back the weight (+) in half the time I took it off, when I went back to my old crappy diet. Not to mention, spent more $$ then I care to remember.

I know that losing is the easy part; keeping if off the hard part - so I HAVE 18 EASY POUNDS TO LOSE..hahahah!!

Keep it up! Sounds like you are on a roll......to get rid of the tummy roll!

Slimmer...you are a fav on this site!

^^^ thanks! I appreciate it.

You are a delight here yourself. Fresh and darn right funny sometimes.

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    mushy...gushy...kiss...kiss, I have so many favorites, just tons of good people deserving or props and respect. I'm glad you are all here.

Thanks for the shout out but this is all about you and it sounds like you're doing great. A fat loss pattern like what you're describing is very normal. It'll come off the places you want it to when you finally get there. Just be patient because once that happens, it'll melt off in a few short weeks. At like 14% body fat, I have visible handles and no abdominal definition unless I'm flexing. At 12% I have fat only plaguing the lower abdominal region. At 10% there's really nothing to pinch. It sucks because as GB said, at 20%, I had to deal with all the "non-fitness people" whining about how I was dangerously thin and had no business dieting. I remember back to that time before I came here and thought, "what are these idiots talking about?" but I get it now and he articulated it well; they just don't understand our goals. Keep pushing shorty.

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    mushy...gushy...kiss...kiss, I have so many favorites, just tons of good people deserving or props and respect. I'm glad you are all here.
    Slimmer - I do think some of these dudes are in touch with their feminine side.....Do you think they might know of the color peche?? And that it is really hot for spring!

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread Information