Thread: TDEE Question

TDEE Question

I am planning a very clean bulk after the first of the year, have a good idea of my macro % (probably 40 - 40 - 20) and foods I will be eating but am a little confused about my TDEE.

I have been eating what I think is my maintenance calories for the last 6 months which is about 2600 and have stayed the same weight and BF % (or so I believe). All of the calculators however have my TDEE above 3000, some almost 3100. I'm planning on eating at least 500 possibly up to 1000 (thanks baseline) over my TDEE and am undecided on where to start. I will be on a conservative AAS cycle and doing cardio 5 days a week.

Any thoughts or advise?

Just read this (thanks gbrice)

LBM(168) x 15 = 2520 which is right in line with what I thought my TDEE would be.

Are the calculators really that far off?

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman View Post
    I am planning a very clean bulk after the first of the year, have a good idea of my macro % (probably 40 - 40 - 20) and foods I will be eating but am a little confused about my TDEE.

I have been eating what I think is my maintenance calories for the last 6 months which is about 2600 and have stayed the same weight and BF % (or so I believe). All of the calculators however have my TDEE above 3000, some almost 3100. I'm planning on eating at least 500 possibly up to 1000 (thanks baseline) over my TDEE and am undecided on where to start. I will be on a conservative AAS cycle and doing cardio 5 days a week.

Any thoughts or advise?
    There are two main areas where people overestimate their TDEE.

One is in the activity level they choose, the other is using total body weight instead of lean body mass.

Activity level even for someone who works out 5 days a week with cardio 4 days a week is "lightly active". The only way you should be above that level is if you have a job that requires energy expenditure on a daily basis, or do some other type of physical activity all the time.

im9boss is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigslick7878 View Post
    Activity level even for someone who works out 5 days a week with cardio 4 days a week is "lightly active". The only way you should be above that level is if you have a job that requires energy expenditure on a daily basis, or do some other type of physical activity all the time.
    i dont get this.....care to explain....?

Bump. No advise or opinions other than bigslick?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by im9boss View Post
    i dont get this.....care to explain....?
    Take me as an example. I workout 5 days a week, and am currently doing cardio 2x/day 5-6 days a week. I am still lightly active. Why? Because that's about 3 hours out of a 24 hour day. The rest of the day, i'm sitting on my ass - driving to work, AT work, driving home from work, eating dinner, watching some TV before bed, SLEEPING, etc.

Now take a guy who works construction AND has my schedule above. I would only consider that moderately active. Construction is a physically demanding job, your on your feet all day, carrying heavy stuff, etc. - but you're not 'dying' most of the time.

Finally, take all of the above and now add that this same person plays 2 pick up basketball games a week and is on a softball league that plays every weekend. Maybe he likes hiking, biking, etc. THIS would be considered a heavily active person.

So, the forumlas can be misleading and most of the time, people wind up on the high end, overeating. An easier way to start is LBM x 15 = maintenance calories. Far from scientific, and definitely will require some adjusting - but 9 times out of 10, it will put you close.

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Take me as an example. I workout 5 days a week, and am currently doing cardio 2x/day 5-6 days a week. I am still lightly active. Why? Because that's about 3 hours out of a 24 hour day. The rest of the day, i'm sitting on my ass - driving to work, AT work, driving home from work, eating dinner, watching some TV before bed, SLEEPING, etc.

Now take a guy who works construction AND has my schedule above. I would only consider that moderately active. Construction is a physically demanding job, your on your feet all day, carrying heavy stuff, etc. - but you're not 'dying' most of the time.

Finally, take all of the above and now add that this same person plays 2 pick up basketball games a week and is on a softball league that plays every weekend. Maybe he likes hiking, biking, etc. THIS would be considered a heavily active person.

So, the forumlas can be misleading and most of the time, people wind up on the high end, overeating. An easier way to start is LBM x 15 = maintenance calories. Far from scientific, and definitely will require some adjusting - but 9 times out of 10, it will put you close.
    Great answer, could not have said it any better myself.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Post 2 is g2g

Add 500-1000 cals per day to that, with some anabolics u will make nice gains

Thread Information