Thread: Pwo Shake

eglassman88 is offline Junior Member

Pwo Shake

What's your pwo shake or pwo meal and why? Just looking to get some input on what everyone else is doing. I currently do 50g of whey gold standard and 1/2 cup of oats.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Im curently doing

75g Whey
    50g Waxi Maize Starch
    500ml Milk

Whey - Because it is quickly digested and can ge to work fast

WMS - For the same reasons as above, also raises insulin which will help to turn you from a very catabolic state into a very anabolic state quickly.... Also because oats stay in my gut for too long and i cant eat for 90 mins after oats, with waxi it is in and my stomach feels empty again within 10 mins

Milk - Well i could list a load of reasons, excellent at re-hydrating you (studys i have seen show it to be beter than a powerade type of drink), some slower releasing protein along with more whey,, anyone gtaining should IMHO use Milk PWO...

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    1 scoop Myofusion (25g protein blend - WPI, WPC, Egg Albumin)
    1 premier shake (30g protein blend - WPI, WPC, Casein, Milk Protein Isolate)
    1 cup oats

I prefer the protein blends because I cannot eat my next meal (whole food meal) until 2, sometimes 2.5 hours later due to work. So the majority is Whey, but I have some slower digesting proteins in there as well.

Oats just because i'm not big into the insulin spike thing, plus i'm cutting. If I were straight out bulking (which I will never do), i'd probably do Waxy Maize or Vitagro.

eglassman88 is offline Junior Member
    Baseline, any idea on the macros for that shake?

Quote Originally Posted by eglassman88 View Post
    Baseline, any idea on the macros for that shake?

711 cal
    75.5 Protein
    73.5 Carbs
    13 Fat

Its Fat heavy for a PWO meal but it works for me

If u wanted to limit the fat u could use Skim milk and a WPI

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    Whey is too quick and casein ISNT to slow...

Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2010 Nov 2. [Epub ahead of print]
    Whey and casein labeled with L-[1-13C]leucine and muscle protein synthesis: Effect of resistance exercise and protein ingestion.
    Reitelseder S, Agergaard J, Doessing S, Helmark IC, Lund P, Kristensen NB, Frystyk JF, Flyvbjerg A, Schjerling P, van Hall G, Kjaer M, Holm L.

1University of Copenhagen.
    Abstract
    Muscle protein turnover following resistance exercise and amino acid availability are relatively well described. By contrast, the beneficial effects of different sources of intact proteins in relation to exercise remain further investigation. Our objective was to compare muscle anabolic responses to a single bolus intake of whey or casein after performance of heavy resistance exercise. Young male individuals were randomly assigned to participate in two protein trials (n=9) or one control trial (n=8). Infusion of L-[1-(13)C]leucine was carried out and either whey, casein (0.3 g·kg lean body mass(-1)) or a non-caloric control drink was ingested immediately after exercise. L-[1-(13)C]leucine-labeled whey and casein were used while assessing muscle protein synthesis (MPS). Blood and muscle tissue samples were collected to measure systemic hormone and amino acid concentrations, tracer enrichments, and myofibrillar protein synthesis. Western blots were used to investigate the Akt signaling pathway. Plasma insulin and branched-chain amino acid concentrations increased to a greater extent after ingestion of whey compared to casein. Myofibrillar protein synthesis was equally increased 1-6 hrs post exercise after whey and casein intake, which both were higher compared with control (p<0.05). Phosphorylation of Akt and p70 S6K were increased after exercise and protein intake (p<0.05), but no differences were observed between the types of protein except for total 4E-BP1, which was higher after whey intake than after casein intake (p<0.05). In conclusion, whey and casein intake immediately after resistance exercise result in an overall equal MPS response despite temporal differences in insulin and amino acid concentrations and 4E-BP1.

PMID: 21045172 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Where is the 'Whey is too quick' part Swifto?

Quote Originally Posted by Swifto View Post
    Cool study...

To sum it up for people....

A combo of whey and casein is best

From reading the study I would still stick with my PWO shake and reccomendations to anyone who can use Milk to do so

I reccomend eating a real food meal 45mins to 1hr after ur PWO shake aswell

If u could not eat in this time, make sure you utalise a good source of casein (casein powder) rather than relying on milk casein to keep u going,, as GB does

Thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    Cool study...

To sum it up for people....

A combo of whey and casein is best

From reading the study I would still stick with my PWO shake and reccomendations to anyone who can use Milk to do so

I reccomend eating a real food meal 45mins to 1hr after ur PWO shake aswell

If u could not eat in this time, make sure you utalise a good source of casein (casein powder) rather than relying on milk casein to keep u going,, as GB does

Thanks for the link
    No problem mate.

Thats why I use Reflex Peptide Fusion mate. Why/Cas plus egg white powder too. Plus it doesn't upset my stomach.

I used bulkpowders milk protein and it messed with my stomach too much.

Thread Information