renjr70 is offline Junior Member

Ketogenic diet, can you add insulin injections?

So here's my question. The way I'm understanding it, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, A main reason it can be so hard to build muscle on a keto diet is the lack of Insulin your body is producing due to the lack of Carbohydrate intake. No sugars = No insulin, which is the transport device for all those proteins to get to your muscles to help them grow. So my question is can you supplement with insulin injections and remain in a state of ketosis? I dont want to put myself into some kinda of diabetic shock doing this!

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Messing with slin is dangerous

If u dont have enough carbs in ur system when u pin it u could end up dead

Im not sure how what you propose will work tho

Insulin drives carbs into stores basically to reduce blood sugar levels

Since u dont have and blood sugar i dont know how the slin will react witht the ketones

IDK but am intrested

All i do know is dont try anything yet!

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    1. If that's you in your avy you shouldn't be on keto
    2. Don't take insulin on keto, you will go into shock or something
    3. If you didn't go into shock you will succesfully drive dietary fat into your fat stores
    4. You don't build muscle on keto because you are not eating carbs, not necessarily that you aren't spiking insulin. You don't need an insulin spike to grow.

PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't mess with insulin if you're not a diabetic. Some guys were ****ing around here awhile back while they were drinking, they thought it would be funny if they gave their passed out buddy (a non diabetic) a shot of insulin. Last I heard he was in a comma while his "buddies" were being held for attempted murder and the police were waiting for the guy to die so they could up the charges to murder. Anyways, I know a few diabetics and it doesn't sound like insulin is anything to be experimenting with.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by renjr70 View Post
    So here's my question. The way I'm understanding it, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong
    Ok.

A main reason it can be so hard to build muscle on a keto diet is the lack of Insulin your body is producing due to the lack of Carbohydrate intake.
    You're wrong.

No sugars = No insulin
    And... you're wrong again.

There are gluconeogenic amino acids... Proteins do cause insulin release.

My suggestion to you?

Get to the diet forum... Dismiss the thought of using insulin. You have no grasp of the implications of the questions you're asking.

And, FYI, it isn't 'hard to grow on a ketogenic diet'... The primary reason people don't is because the whole reason they switch to keto dieting, is to cut.
    -Corey "Narkissos" Springer

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Apollo Fitness Barbados etc
    Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4
    Nark is like intel, Brilliant inside and awsome outside :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    Every(intelligent)thing works (once aptly and consistently applied)
    It really is that simple.
    This is the perpetual bodybuilding paradigm
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

renjr70 is offline Junior Member
    I know proteins do not cause insulin release, that's the whole point of my question, that keto causes a lack of insulin. I personally have used keto diets for many years and I have never been able to grow on them, I mean a little bit, but not at all what I know I would grow being off keto.
    Also I am aware I dont have a grasp of all of this yet, I am learning. Thats why I am asking questions. I have no intention of using insulin, I was curious as to why people wouldnt because I read how important it was while trying to grow. I am aware it could be deadly. Thanks for correcting me, but you didnt really answer my question either.,

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    I don't think the two can happen together. I mean, if you inject insulin with no carbs you will most likely die. So yes, you can stay in ketosis while you are having a seizure on the floor.

Blog Entries
    I know proteins do not cause insulin release, that's the whole point of my question, that keto causes a lack of insulin.
    You clearly did not read what i wrote.

Proteins DO CAUSE insulin release.

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Blogger

Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

Blog Entries
    In case you missed it:

And... you're wrong again.

There are gluconeogenic amino acids... Proteins do cause insulin release.

^^http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...15#post5468615

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Blogger

**No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

calstate23 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos View Post
    You clearly did not read what i wrote.

Proteins DO CAUSE insulin release.

We must have a PRO on our hands! True, insulin will release do to protein consumption but it is so so minuscule compared to a carb source. In fact, what a lot of people don't know (Perhaps the person who posted this picture above) is that protein consumption will actually release A TON MORE glucagon rather then insulin. So, therefore you are actually a lot more right then dribble mouth over here. Insulin levels are super low and you will be in a fat burning mode rather then a fat storing mode.

Protein stimulates the release of glucagon (Yes, not glycogen), which is the opposite of insulin as it helps to take fat molecules and use them as energy. But you are wrong that it is the lack of insulin which makes it hard to build muscle while on a keto diet.

What makes it hard to build muscle is the lack of calories and the lack of glucose that your muscles will store as glycogen. Although your body will covert some calories to be used as glucose and stored as glycogen it is not nearly the level it needs to be at.

Thus, the whole point of a high protein, high fat diet is to keep insulin down and glucagon up. With insulin present it likes to keep fat stores, but with glucagon present, it likes to burn fat for energy.

As for the insulin, don't even think about it. For one, because you are thinking of using it on a keto diet and two because you are not even close to stepping on a pro stage.

I hate giving away valuable information to people who think they know it all ...So they can just end up using it down the road and then give it as advice to others as if they knew what they were talking about

guy1776 is offline New Member
    I am trying but cannot seem to lose weight. I walk about an hour per day for exercise. I am type 2 diabetic using insulin 70/30 injections to manage bloood sugar. I follow a higher protein and fat (Atkins), with low to no carbs, diet. When I am doing this properly my insulin requirements drop dramatically. My ketosis tests register a good level of ketones present after meals, due to dietary fat, but only a small level between meals. Even with no carbs I still increase blood glucose after meals and a low insulin dose. My morning fasted blood glucose will consistently be 130 - 150, meaning my liver has produced some sugar for my brain during the overnight fast. I think the presence of the glucose is keeping me in a low state of ketosis. Any recommendations to increase ketosis and fat loss?

Thread Information