DBolNoob is offline Banned

Protein / Carb shakes for meals

Thought i would post this here as i havent had any response in the diet section.

Protein/Carb shakes Questions ..
    Hey guys and gals,

just wanting some input with the use of Protein&Carb shakes with meals to boost intake of essential protein and complex carbs when bulking.

my current diet is planned out to have 5 of these shakes a day, which ALONE will give me more then enough carbs and protein i need to grow with a good routine.

each of my shakes i take contain:

Protein = 74.1
    Carb = 74.3

i know that your body can only intake a certain amount of protein and the rest is just wasted as it wont do anything, But its easier for me to have shakes with this amount of protein

im just wondering if i can drop some of the Foods (past/brown rice) and will still gain properly with these additional shakes?

i know many people think its better to get the protein and carbs you need from foods more then shakes as the other nutritional content, BUT shakes come with most of the stuff you get in food anyway?

Basically im wondering if anyone has been able to gain good weight with say 2-3 meals a day of just protein&Carb shakes instead of food meals? (3 meals out of 6 are shakes, other 3 are high carb/protein)

thanks, and after reading it back im a little confused so if you dont understand i will try to ask it differently lol

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    There is a response in the diet thread now.

Ruffiancino is offline Junior Member
    Are you talking about protein powder shakes/pre-mixed shakes, that kind of thing? If so, I would never recommend dropping real food in exchange for those. Everyone on this board, for the most part, use protein powders, but they are a supplement. I've offered this up to a couple of other people recently, so I'll regurgitate it for you to. If you are looking to use shakes, because of time and convenience or whatever, make your own out of real food. You can combine milk, protein powder, peanut butter, oatmeal, yogurt, etc.....and you get a lot of healthy calories that your body will actually use, and not just discard. But yeah, real food will always be better than supplements. Having half of your diet consist of powder shakes is not a good idea

yeah i agree real food would be most beneficial, BUT carbs are carbs, protein is protein regardless whether its in a form of a powder,
    or in the form of a chicken breast.

i can drink these shakes all day without getting full, but my problem is with solid foods i get full soo quickly and its hard to force the food in every 2-3 hours :/

Quote Originally Posted by DBolNoob View Post
    yeah i agree real food would be most beneficial, BUT carbs are carbs, protein is protein regardless whether its in a form of a powder,
    or in the form of a chicken breast.

i can drink these shakes all day without getting full, but my problem is with solid foods i get full soo quickly and its hard to force the food in every 2-3 hours :/
    Aahhh, the ever-lingering challenge of forcing in food. It always sucks, man. It gets easier as you make yourself do it though. Think about it like lifting heavy.....it's always hard to push to the next level but you have to force yourself to do it. Give those homeade shakes a shot, man. They will fill you up, but it's not as difficult to force down as a plate of chicken and brown rice. I switched to those as meal replacements a while back and the results were awesome. Think about it like this......protein powders can have anything that the manufacturer wants to put in, and even good protein powders have a certain amount of empty nutrients. If you make yout own out of your own food, blend it up and drink it, you have control over all the nutrients you are putting in. Think about giving it a shot. You'll like the results

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffiancino View Post
    Aahhh, the ever-lingering challenge of forcing in food. It always sucks, man. It gets easier as you make yourself do it though. Think about it like lifting heavy.....it's always hard to push to the next level but you have to force yourself to do it. Give those homeade shakes a shot, man. They will fill you up, but it's not as difficult to force down as a plate of chicken and brown rice. I switched to those as meal replacements a while back and the results were awesome. Think about it like this......protein powders can have anything that the manufacturer wants to put in, and even good protein powders have a certain amount of empty nutrients. If you make yout own out of your own food, blend it up and drink it, you have control over all the nutrients you are putting in. Think about giving it a shot. You'll like the results
    yeah ok mate, ill give it a shot!

i just got real ill once having to force myself to eat all those big meals to get the carbs i needed.

where as with shakes i can get it all in a drink so its easier. but yeah ill give the homemade shake a try.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    ^^Just maybe eating those big meals with 75 grams a piece of protein and carbs is the problem and not the fact it's real food?

There are some good version out there if you do some searching. Feel free to pm me too, if you'd like. I can give you a couple of ideas on how to make them so you get a lot of good calories, evenly distributed carb/protein/fat, that are easy to get down.

ok thanks guys for the advice

delta1111 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBolNoob View Post
    Thought i would post this here as i havent had any response in the diet section.

Protein/Carb shakes Questions ..
    Hey guys and gals,

just wanting some input with the use of Protein&Carb shakes with meals to boost intake of essential protein and complex carbs when bulking.

my current diet is planned out to have 5 of these shakes a day, which ALONE will give me more then enough carbs and protein i need to grow with a good routine.

each of my shakes i take contain:

Protein = 74.1
    Carb = 74.3

i know that your body can only intake a certain amount of protein and the rest is just wasted as it wont do anything, But its easier for me to have shakes with this amount of protein

im just wondering if i can drop some of the Foods (past/brown rice) and will still gain properly with these additional shakes?

i know many people think its better to get the protein and carbs you need from foods more then shakes as the other nutritional content, BUT shakes come with most of the stuff you get in food anyway?

Basically im wondering if anyone has been able to gain good weight with say 2-3 meals a day of just protein&Carb shakes instead of food meals? (3 meals out of 6 are shakes, other 3 are high carb/protein)

thanks, and after reading it back im a little confused so if you dont understand i will try to ask it differently lol
    Don't waste anymore money on shakes. Believe me i've tried it and it doesn't work. I also find it very hard to get real food down me, but it's the only way to progress. I tried drinking about 6 whey shakes per day for about 2 months, which did nothing for weight or muscle building and when I just had 1 shake per day post work out, it made no difference to when I was taking 6 per day. I also tried with weight gain powder and that just makes you fat, as all the carbs in them come from sugar.
    I'm gonna try Ruffiancino's idea of making my own shakes out of natural foods.

Thread Information