spm162 is offline Associate Member

Out of Ketosis???

I checked the ketostrip last night and it said I was in mild ketosis. Today I got up and did low intensity cardio for 45 min on an empty stomach. For lunch I had 16 oz of crystal light, salami, genoa, provalone cheese, 2 suger free jello, and a salad. For a mid afternoon snack I had some cheddar cheese and mustard. Then for dinner I had 2 turkey burgers, a salad, and a large glass of crystal light. I just checked my levels with the keto strips and it came out negative. What's going on????

yellows2k is offline Member
    Besides the point, that is a horrible diet.

Why is that yellows? What do yous suggest?

yellows2k is offline Member
    Do you eat breakfast? Your mid afternoon snack is lacking protein. There's no EFAs.....

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by yellows2k
    Do you eat breakfast? Your mid afternoon snack is lacking <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a>. There's no EFAs.....
    I agree, are you only eating 3 times a day?? And no EFA's those are great for a keto diet.

Pain

Cheese doesn't have protein? I didn't know that. Also this is the diet up to this point. I usually have breakfast, but time didn't allow today. Most days I have 4 or 5 meals including breakfast. Also what are good sources for EFA's and how did I get out of ketosis?

I think your body might have started to break down muscles/protein to glycogen since it didn't have enough energy/cals from fats on that day without breakfast. That is what I think, I am not sure though. Also, Flax seed oil is the best source of EFA's IMO.

Pain

BTW cheese does have protein, not huge amounts but it is there.

Pain

How much flax seed oil per day? What ratio of fat to protein am I supposed to eat and where can I find what foods are good to eat and what foods aren't?

www.c-k-d.com read around this board and you will get some great info.
    As for keto ratios I have seen them around 60-70%/30-40%/0-10% Fat/Protein/Carbs. Use enough flax to keep you within your ratios.
    I would recommend checking out that site, it is really good.

Pain

The diet listed above is what I had to eat today...the day is not over and I am not done eating.

Keto is a very hard diet concept, there are a lot of variables. (I haven't done a keto diet yet because I still want to research it a little more) I would suggest reading that site, I think it is one of the best on the net. You can try looking at a current tread here on AR by theoriginaljason it is his keto diet dairy. There is some very very good info in it. Hope this helps.

Pain

I actually visited the cdk website. I don't really care for the cyclic part. I just started a week ago and did 6 days on (mon-sat) and a normal dinner on sat night (with bread and pasta). On sunday I went back on the ketosis diet and exercising. I just want to lose the fat and when I'm done, do a cycle. So it doesn't matter (within limits) how much muscle I lose. Right now I am 6'0", 208 with 13.9% bf (measured using skin fold calipers). I think looking at a sample diet would help me tremendously. My only other drawback is that I can't eat eggs...only if they are smoothered in cheese.

Pain has the right idea, If your body is forced to use protien for energy, it will screw you out of ketosis because the protien and carb metabolic pathways share a common vein which allow fat to be borken down in the TCA cycle (bad) instead of becomeing ketones (good)

But crystal light (apart from being natsy tasting) seems like a prime canadate for containing citric acid. Citric acid, while not a carb, will still keep you out of ketosis for technical reasons. Stay away form it if it has it in it, the box should say.

Originally posted by BrokenBricks
    Pain has the right idea, If your body is forced to use protien for energy, it will screw you out of ketosis because the protien and carb metabolic pathways share a common vein which allow fat to be borken down in the TCA cycle (bad) instead of becomeing ketones (good)

But crystal light (apart from being natsy tasting) seems like a prime canadate for containing citric acid. Citric acid, while not a carb, will still keep you out of ketosis for technical reasons. Stay away form it if it has it in it, the box should say.

Thats right, this was the big issue in the keto diary from theoriginaljason.

Pain

demetri is offline Member
    You could just simply be burning off all the ketones and that is why none show up on the strip.

Pick up a blood gluecose meter.

Also consuming too much protein will throw you out of ketosis. It can convert to glucides (?). Ketosis isn't necessary for fat loss anyway, but it does help.

I would add some more EFA's, as to only eating 3 times a day? That's all I eat when on a CKD, at least in during carb depletion. I find that when I eat the high volumes of fat I don't need to eat as frequently. When I eat carbs I have to eat every two hours.

Thread Information