BadNewsBerto is offline Associate Member

Question Keto diet and Blood glucose metre

Anyways Ive been restricting carbs for 3 days now. My initial reading prior to starting was 6.8mmol/l and for the last 2 days i haven't been able to drop below 4.8mmol/l.

From what i have read about ketosis is that it occurs at 50mg/dl which translates to 2.7mmol/l (sorry about the conversion). This info was from Dan Duchaines Body Opus.

1)Anyways my question is if these values are accurate when it comes to the body entering ketosis?

2)Also below is a sample of my diet with macro breakdown...any suggestions or perhaps something you see that may be slowing/halting my transition into ketosis?

For the record this is the first time i have ever attempted a ketogenic diet(Im going CKD by the way). Below is the food i ate the first day attempting to get into ketosis. The last 2 days i have had zero carbs besides the small amount hidden in cheese.

Day 1
    3 strips bacon
    4 fried eggs
    1tblsp butter
    2 tsp cristco

2 spinach and feta turkey/chicken sausages
    3 tablespoons of olive oil mayo

Assortment of fatty deli meats (Prochutto, Salami, Calabrese, and cappicollo)
    3 baby bell cheeses

1 hard boiled egg
    3 salmon and fish oil caps

souvlaki marinated pork centre rib loin
    2 cups salad
    1 tblsp olive oil
    1 tblsp apple cider vinegar

Cals 2620
    Fat 205.5g(70%)
    Pro 193.5g(29%)
    Carbs 9g(1%)
    Last edited by BadNewsBerto; 01-20-2011 at 10:18 PM.

edited

also i forgot to mention im taking glucose disposal agents vanadyll sulphate and chromium before bed....

Choppers is offline Associate Member
    try a few decent cardio sessions say 45 mins worth. I find it helps to burn up any glycogen and brings on Ketosis far quicker than Diet alone.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Do a HIIT session on the day or two after ur refeed if you are doing a CKD

This will use plently of glycogen if done propperly

See if that helps

thanks for the replys...

today is the beginning of day 5 and my reading this morning was still at 4.5mmol/l

I have had a total of 20 carbs in the last 4 days.

I have had 2 intense training sessions at the gym so far this week another coming tonight

I'm taking glucose disposal agents

but still am having trouble dropping down anywhere close to what Dan Duchaine mentioned blood glucose levels should be at... 50mg/dl or 2.7mmol/l

i am having some of the signs that I'm in ketosis....bad taste in my mouth and some rank breath lol, but this is not reflected in my blood glucose.

Maybe I'm just reading too far into the whole thing....none the less I'm going to continue cutting carbs and skip my carb up this first weekend....maybe my body

is just really trying to resist the metabolic shift to ketones....

Any other suggestions, comments, or criticism is greatly appreciated....

Cheers

charcold is offline Associate Member
    Im sorry, I dont see your serum glucose reaching that level. Do you have a link to this article? I would like to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by charcold View Post
    Im sorry, I dont see your serum glucose reaching that level. Do you have a link to this article? I would like to read it.
    Actually it is not from an article rather info out of Body Opus by Dan Duchaine. The following is a direct exerpt from his book, and where i got my information. "Once

blood glucose is about 50mg/dl, ketones start being produced. They will continue to be manufactured as long as blood glucose stays below 50. Once ketones are

available for fuel, the body prefers ketones over both glucose and fatty acids"

Regardless ive had under 40 grams of carbs in the last 5 days and i cant get my readings below 4.5mmol (81mg/dl).

Im starting to think maybe ive been misinformed. i cant seem to find any direct info online either.

its nagging at me lol
    Last edited by BadNewsBerto; 01-22-2011 at 02:03 AM.

bump for any additional info

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    I could tell you how to do it using low doses of insulin ..however thats prob not very prudent. Question - are you doing a full day of carb up or what ? First observation - if u wanna be fanatical about it..drop the dairy (babybel and feta in sausage)
    Second - how is your diet corresponding to your workout - ie : i do "no carb" sat night-fri night / fri night to sat night i carb load . I work out mon (upper body) - then tues (lower body) - am cadio wed & thurs - friday full body glycogen depletion workout followed by the start of my carb load...

Let us know...if arent doing the above think about it - its a good model for this type of diet.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    I could tell you how to do it using low doses of insulin ..however thats prob not very prudent. Question - are you doing a full day of carb up or what ? First observation - if u wanna be fanatical about it..drop the dairy (babybel and feta in sausage)
    Second - how is your diet corresponding to your workout - ie : i do "no carb" sat night-fri night / fri night to sat night i carb load . I work out mon (upper body) - then tues (lower body) - am cadio wed & thurs - friday full body glycogen depletion workout followed by the start of my carb load...

Let us know...if arent doing the above think about it - its a good model for this type of diet.
    I started cutting carbs last monday and ive opted against a carb up this first week. I will however be carbing up every weekend following this one from friday after

my workout until saterday at midnight(i may extend the carb load into sunday if im still sore from workout) . As far as my current workouts ive been on a 3 day split

this week and let me tell you, todays leg workout was aweful. My strength was there in the beggining, but after 3 or 4 reps on every exercise it tanked. Im going

to make the switch to the workout you have suggested following my first carb load... its very similar to the one laid out in body opus. Ive never used slin before,

ive been researching it, but im gonna hold off of that for the time being. I appreciate the feed back!

charcold is offline Associate Member
    Insulin wont do u much good in getting there, and could be severly problematic. Have you checked for ketones using ketostix?

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    I don't understand why people eat that way on keto. I've seen it both ways on the same individual more than once now - results are better with olive oil and nuts than with bacon and cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    I don't understand why people eat that way on keto. I've seen it both ways on the same individual more than once now - results are better with olive oil and nuts than with bacon and cheese.
    True as that may be....people eat that way on keto because it makes for a more tollerable diet. Also when you arent taking in any carbs your fat intake is being mobilized for energy. fat is fat whether saturated or not... it has 9 cals, and in the absense of carbs your body treats any and all fat the same way. Sure olive oil and nuts are better then bacon and cheese. It would be a challenge to structure a keto diet you could maintain for months without including any foods high in saturated fat. For the average body builder, witch in all honesty makes a a huge portion of the people out there, and most likely even on this website, not utilizing these foods high it saturated fat would be setting themselves up for failure. Im not saying your wrong, simply that i dont think the type of fat you eat really has much baring on a keto diet, as long as cals and macros are accounted for. If you can tollerate an olive oil and nutt diet, all the power to you...but for the average joe, i dont think thats gonna cut it.
    Last edited by BadNewsBerto; 01-24-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsBerto View Post
    True as that may be....people eat that way on keto because it makes for a more tollerable diet. Also when you arent taking in any carbs your fat intake is being mobilized for energy. fat is fat whether saturated or not... it has 9 cals, and in the absense of carbs your body treats any and all fat the same way. Sure olive oil and nuts are better then bacon and cheese. It would be a challenge to structure a keto diet you could maintain for months without including any foods high in saturated fat. For the average body builder, witch in all honesty makes a a huge portion of the people out there, and most likely even on this website, not utilizing these foods high it saturated fat would be setting themselves up for failure. Im not saying your wrong, simply that i dont think the type of fat you eat really has much baring on a keto diet, as long as cals and macros are accounted for. If you can tollerate an olive oil and nutt diet, all the power to you...but for the average joe, i dont think thats gonna cut it.
    Fair enough, my comment was assuming the level of dedication was high. I assure you though, there are benefits beyond long-term health to keeping fat choices clean. These include: increased testosterone production, more readily available energy, and increased protein synthesis.

Thread Information