cjBeast is offline New Member

Bedtime Protein Shake while Cutting

I have always started every morning and ended everyday with a protein shake, regardless of whether I was cutting, bulking, or just maintenance. I'm running a cut right now and have read some posts that say to not eat or drink 3 hours before bed and other that say to eat right up until bed. It seems counterproductive to not eat, this would completely kill my metabolism and natural hormone production while I'm sleeping it would seem to me...?

Thought on bedtime protein on cut?

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    casein protein shake can't hurt, it should have 0 sugar

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Keep eating. It's not about NOT eating, it's about what you eat. I wouldn't consume 50g of carbs before I hit the pillow, but 30g of a good protein source and a few grams of fat to slow absorption overnight won't do you any harm, only good. A casein shake is fine, cottage cheese even better, lean cut of steak or beef best IMO.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    I always have a casein shake before bed regardless of cut, maintenance or gain. It's just what you put with it. I consume a casein shake of 40g and a large teaspoon of PB.

If you choose cottage cheese make sure it is a zero/low carb version.

I only use a shake for financial reasons, it's cheaper than chicken or steak.

bruary17 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Keep eating. It's not about NOT eating, it's about what you eat. I wouldn't consume 50g of carbs before I hit the pillow, but 30g of a good protein source and a few grams of fat to slow absorption overnight won't do you any harm, only good. A casein shake is fine, cottage cheese even better, lean cut of steak or beef best IMO.
    Excellent advice. I have not eaten 3hrs before bed during summer months, then woke up and did 30 min cardio with just a cup of black coffee in me.....10 cals. I got shredded, but lost a considerable amount od muscle in the process. Never do cardio on an emty stomach unless your willing to give up some hard earned muscle, a few bites of chicken or maybe a no carb protein shake.

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjBeast View Post
    I have always started every morning and ended everyday with a protein shake, regardless of whether I was cutting, bulking, or just maintenance. I'm running a cut right now and have read some posts that say to not eat or drink 3 hours before bed and other that say to eat right up until bed. It seems counterproductive to not eat, this would completely kill my metabolism and natural hormone production while I'm sleeping it would seem to me...?

Thought on bedtime protein on cut?
    Red meat with a healthy fat source for final meal.

Quote Originally Posted by bruary17 View Post
    Excellent advice. I have not eaten 3hrs before bed during summer months, then woke up and did 30 min cardio with just a cup of black coffee in me.....10 cals. I got shredded, but lost a considerable amount od muscle in the process. Never do cardio on an emty stomach unless your willing to give up some hard earned muscle, a few bites of chicken or maybe a no carb protein shake.
    What if the only cardio a guy does is Marital Relations with his wife, which he does for about an hour in the morning, should he get up and slam a raw egg first? I've been going at it on an empty stomach and haven't appeared to have lost any muscle, but then again it's only six days a week, maybe if I was doing it all seven I'd lose muscle too.

LatissimusaurousRex is offline Senior Member
    Whatever happened to slamming BCAA's before your morning cardio?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    What if the only cardio a guy does is Marital Relations with his wife, which he does for about an hour in the morning, should he get up and slam a raw egg first? I've been going at it on an empty stomach and haven't appeared to have lost any muscle, but then again it's only six days a week, maybe if I was doing it all seven I'd lose muscle too.
    We've gotta find you a good Dr. You have been beyond obsessed with sex lately! I might have to start you a thread in the lounge... we'll have to let DSM, Stack, Cal, Hog and a few of the others sort you out!

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    Nah kill two birds with one stone and get in some fasted cardio with your sex!

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    We've gotta find you a good Dr. You have been beyond obsessed with sex lately! I might have to start you a thread in the lounge... we'll have to let DSM, Stack, Cal, Hog and a few of the others sort you out!
    And yeah, are you on like 1000mg of test EW or something!?

actually been off cycle for a little while now, but the wife and I figured out there shouldn't be any reason not to "get together" during every twelve hour block for the year. And hey, if you are going to do it you might as well put your all into it and enjoy it for all it's worth, right?

Bigdog99 is offline Member
    I eat about 10-12 oz of cottage cheese everynight. I would skip the shake and do that, but if your in a bind and don't have cottage chesse....drink the shake. It is no good to have no protein in your system while sleeping....on anytime for that matter

The pre-bedtime meal needs to be the slower proteins to keep you feeling fuller longer and avoiding muscle catabolism, when ingested with good fats the fats have a longer acting affect which helps the proteins last longer as well. Most shakes are fast acting/absorbing and thus somewhat counter-productive to the overall purpose.

SuperLift is offline Senior Member
    Casein shake every night before bed, no matter what my goals are.

Thread Information