frank784 is offline Junior Member

Bulking diet help....Gbrice if you could take a look I would appreciate it

Can't seem to gain....thinking about going to Dr. to get thyroid checked out...sister had thyroid cancer before so might have issue....but wanted to adjust diet first to see as I know I'm missing something. I eat the following on a typical day:

Stats:
    5'11
    185-190 (Fluctuate a lot)
    13ish % bf (was measured at 15 before abs came in a bit so guessing)
    TDEE - Just above 3000

Meal 1 - 75 carbs/50 Protein = Cup of oats, whey protein shake with 1% milk, banana

Meal 2 - 75 carbs/50 Protein = Tru mass gainer shake with 1% millk

Meal 3 - 75 carbs/50 Protein = Grilled chix with brown rice/black beans

Meal 4 - 75 carbs/50 Protein = Grilled chix with brown rice/black beans (less rice to lower carbs) 1/4 cup almonds

Meal 5 - Tru Mass gainer shake with banana or couple deli meat sandwiches on whole wheat bread

Meal 6 - Cottage cheese with 2 bananas....going to cut out the bananas and switch to a cup of oats to slow down digestion. 1 tbs peanut butter.

Supplements:
    Creatine - Morning - Pre/Post workout
    BCAA - Pre/Post workout
    Glutamine - Pre/Post and before bed
    2 multivitamins daily
    2 Omega 3 daily
    2 Flax seed oil daily

I also drink 1 gallon of water a day. My thoughts on my diet are simple. I will change whatever is needed to gain weight. I see right now I am using a decent amount of shakes and that is mostly due to traveling...no excuses so I will switch as needed.

Any and all help is appreciated.

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Well, I'm not as experienced as GB, but I'll give my .02 anyway until he comes around. First, the only quality sources of protein you are eating are in meals 3 and 4. Lose the shakes. Whole food provides the body with much more than shakes can ever do. Lose the banana in meal one; the oats will suffice, and bananas are full of fructose and relatively high on the GI scale. You can keep the whey for some quick protein absorption after a night's sleep, but add in about 6 or 7 egg whites and 1 or 2 whole eggs. I would ditch the milk as well, but you're bulking and having a hard time gaining anyway, so it's up to you. Meal 2, drop the shake and replace with whole food. Meals 3 and 4--good meals! I would keep the almonds for one of your last meals in the day, but if they fit in with your daily macros, then i'm just nit-picking. Completely scrap meal 5. Ditch the shake; replace with whole food. Also, deli meat is a poor source of protein and probably loaded with sodium. Bread, other than ezekial, is a processed carb. There are many other better choices out there. Again, ditch the bananas on last meal, especially since it's probably late now, and you don't want carbs (especially fructose) before bed---no need for energy before you sleep. I like the cottage cheese and PB, but would rather see a lean cut of beef.

You don't have macros on your last two meals so it's hard saying if you're eating enough to gain. You also didn't post what time you workout. But I would definitely implement the changes I have made. Others, including GB, will chime in to give you more detail as I'm running out of time---I'm almost late for work!! Best of luck to you, bro.

Musclestack - Greatly appreciated. I pretty much figured that the shakes should be tossed, but wanted to see others thoughts.

My macros for the last two are 50 carbs/50 protein. I am starting tomorrow to monitor every calorie i am taking in, but as of right now I think I am around 375 carbs/300 protein/80ish fat....I actually think I'm a little higher as i use those macro numbers as minimums....I'm thinking 3500-4000 calories per day. I used to track before but I got lazy so will start again now.

I work out normally between 5-630 to start and my workouts last 45-60 mins. I time my meals every 2.5 - 3 hours. I try to get my pre workout meal in 30-45 mins prior to working out and my post meal within 30 mins.

I have read before, and please correct me if i am wrong, that pre workout I want a slow acting carb such as brown rice, sweet potato, etc and that post work out I want a faster carb...that' why I added the banana. I have read up on wazy maize a little and will be ordering some asap.

Meal 5 will be gone and I will try something like 8 oz of lean protein, maybe fish this time?, and 10oz of white potatoes?

Again, thank you the help. I don't want to be the guy that sits here and says " I eat everything and can't get bigger" because I know at the end of the day it's all about nutrition. I did forget to mention that I am plateauing right now with my weight gain hence needing the help. In the last two ish years I went from 138lbs to where I am now.....but I want to get to 215....Thanks again!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    All solid advice from Musclestack...

To be honest, your numbers are way too rounded and i'm willing to bet they're not very accurate. Maybe i'm wrong, I hope I am. And why isn't the fat macro being counted?

See bold answers below

Quote Originally Posted by frank784 View Post
    Musclestack - Greatly appreciated. I pretty much figured that the shakes should be tossed, but wanted to see others thoughts.

My macros for the last two are 50 carbs/50 protein. I am starting tomorrow to monitor every calorie i am taking in, but as of right now I think I am around 375 carbs/300 protein/80ish fat....I actually think I'm a little higher as i use those macro numbers as minimums....I'm thinking 3500-4000 calories per day. I used to track before but I got lazy so will start again now.

Your ratios look decent, but how do you know 3500-4000 calories will work for you? How are you arriving at that number? Guessing? Not being a smart-ass, I really want to know.

I work out normally between 5-630 to start and my workouts last 45-60 mins. I time my meals every 2.5 - 3 hours. I try to get my pre workout meal in 30-45 mins prior to working out and my post meal within 30 mins.

I get my pre-workout meal about 45 mins before training as well, but really need to try and get it in earlier. An hour minimum would be ideal, 1.5 would be even better IMO.

I have read before, and please correct me if i am wrong, that pre workout I want a slow acting carb such as brown rice, sweet potato, etc and that post work out I want a faster carb...that' why I added the banana. I have read up on wazy maize a little and will be ordering some asap.

Yes, I agree with this whole heartedly with the first part - a slow acting carb

Meal 5 will be gone and I will try something like 8 oz of lean protein, maybe fish this time?, and 10oz of white potatoes?

Sweet potato, and yes fish is fine.

Again, thank you the help. I don't want to be the guy that sits here and says " I eat everything and can't get bigger" because I know at the end of the day it's all about nutrition. I did forget to mention that I am plateauing right now with my weight gain hence needing the help. In the last two ish years I went from 138lbs to where I am now.....but I want to get to 215....Thanks again!

Gbrice/Musclestack - First off thank you for taking a look. I have read several posts and seen your responses and know that you and others can put me on track. The 3500-4000 number is what I feel I am taking in now depending on the quantities I am taking in. I am not sure if 3500-4000 are enough calories. I know that right at 3000 calories shouldn't make me gain or lose any weight so I know I need to be higher than that number. I am not trying to put on too much sloppy weight when I bulk so my thoughts were adding 500-1000 over maintenance would gain between 1-2lbs per week. Maybe I am totally wrong about this so advice on this is appreciated.

I will also make sure my pre work out meal is one hour prior to training with a slow acting carb and good protein source. I have changed the following so far so please let me know your thoughts and what adjustments I need to make:

Meal 1 - 8:30 AM
    1 cup oats
    54C/10P/1.5F

Syntha 6 Whey protein shake with 12oz 1% milk
    45C/58P/16F

2 Multivitamin (No nutritional info listed on bottle)
    2 Omega 3 Pills - 0C/0P/2.5F
    2 Flax Seed Oil Pills - 0C/0P/2F

I also add creatine, glutamine, and BCAA to shake

Total: 99C/68P/22F - 866 Cals

Meal 2 - 11:00am

3 oz Whole Wheat Pasta with 1/2 cup Marinara Sauce
    70C/13P/5.5F

8 oz Lean Beef (96 %)
    0C/50P/9F

Total: 70C/63P/14.5F - 663 Cals

Meal 3 - 2:00pm

1 cup cooked brown rice
    46C/5P/2F

1/2 cup black beans
    25C/7P/1F

8oz grilled Chicken
    0C/54P/2F

Total: 71C/66P/5F - 593 Calories

Meal 4- 4:30pm - Sames as meal 3

1 cup cooked brown rice
    46C/5P/2F

1/2 cup black beans
    25C/7P/1F

8oz grilled Chicken
    0C/54P/2F

Pre workout drink - 5:00pm - Glutamine, BCAA, Creatine, Jack3d

Workout 5:30 - 6:30 pm

Meal 5- 7:00pm

8oz Sweet Potato
    48C/8P/0F

6oz Cod
    0C/40P/1F

1oz Almonds (100 Calorie pack)
    4C/4P/9F

Total: 52C/52P/10F - 506 Cals

Meal 6- 10:00pm

2 cups Cottage Cheese (4% milk fat)
    20C/48P/20F

2 tbs peanut butter
    16C/8P/12F

Total: 36C/56P/32F - 568 Cals

Grand Totals: 399C/371P/88.5F - 3799 Cals

Things I notice right off the bat are that my carbs first thing in the morning are pretty high. The reason I have the shake in here is that I do not have access to eggs all of the time and I can pre pack everything else. I guess I am just a little hesitant of eggs/egg whites in tuperware for 3-4 days per week when I travel. I am also unsure about my last meal of the day...I have pulled out the carbs as recommended, but I see that lean mean would be a better choice. To be honest I get pretty sick of eating 2 cups of cottage cheese before bed each night, and since I want to stick to whole meals it sounds like a casein shake is out of the question.

Thanks again for all of the help. Looking forward to getting my diet on point and appreciate all of the advice.

Gucks is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frank784 View Post
    Gbrice/Musclestack - First off thank you for taking a look. I have read several posts and seen your responses and know that you and others can put me on track. The 3500-4000 number is what I feel I am taking in now depending on the quantities I am taking in. I am not sure if 3500-4000 are enough calories. I know that right at 3000 calories shouldn't make me gain or lose any weight so I know I need to be higher than that number. I am not trying to put on too much sloppy weight when I bulk so my thoughts were adding 500-1000 over maintenance would gain between 1-2lbs per week. Maybe I am totally wrong about this so advice on this is appreciated.

I will also make sure my pre work out meal is one hour prior to training with a slow acting carb and good protein source. I have changed the following so far so please let me know your thoughts and what adjustments I need to make:

1 cup oats
    54C/10P/1.5F

Syntha 6 Whey protein shake with 12oz 1% milk
    45C/58P/16F

I also add creatine, glutamine, and BCAA to shake no need to take any of these supps in morning with whey. keep for pre-WO

Total: 99C/68P/22F - 866 Cals

3 oz Whole Wheat Pasta with 1/2 cup Marinara Sauce
    70C/13P/5.5F

8 oz Lean Beef (96 %)
    0C/50P/9F

Total: 70C/63P/14.5F - 663 Cals get some veggies in there, i take broccoli or asparagos.

1 cup cooked brown rice
    46C/5P/2F

1/2 cup black beans
    25C/7P/1F

8oz grilled Chicken
    0C/54P/2F

1 cup cooked brown rice
    46C/5P/2F

1/2 cup black beans
    25C/7P/1F

8oz grilled Chicken
    0C/54P/2F

Workout 5:30 - 6:30 pm no PWO shake? u need a whey shake PWO man...basics! or else u forgot to put it in.

8oz Sweet Potato
    48C/8P/0F

6oz Cod
    0C/40P/1F

1oz Almonds (100 Calorie pack)
    4C/4P/9F

Total: 52C/52P/10F - 506 Cals

2 cups Cottage Cheese (4% milk fat) this cottage cheese is way to high in fat, u can get 1% fat and 0% fat so shop around!
    20C/48P/20F

2 tbs peanut butter
    16C/8P/12F

Total: 36C/56P/32F - 568 Cals

Grand Totals: 399C/371P/88.5F - 3799 Cals protein is to high, reduce protein in meal 1, 2, 3 & 4. aim for 280-300g fat is a bit to high, wuld prefer to see it at 80g. buy better cotage cheese and tht wil fix it. carbs should go up to 500g to make up for lost calories. spread the extra 100g thorugh out meals 1-5 and get about 50g of it PWO.

Things I notice right off the bat are that my carbs first thing in the morning are pretty high. The reason I have the shake in here is that I do not have access to eggs all of the time and I can pre pack everything else. I guess I am just a little hesitant of eggs/egg whites in tuperware for 3-4 days per week when I travel. I am also unsure about my last meal of the day...I have pulled out the carbs as recommended, but I see that lean mean would be a better choice. To be honest I get pretty sick of eating 2 cups of cottage cheese before bed each night, and since I want to stick to whole meals it sounds like a casein shake is out of the question. i dont think casein it out of the question at all, its better then cottage cheese imo, there virtually no fat in it if u use skimmed milk and it tastes ALOT better!

Thanks again for all of the help. Looking forward to getting my diet on point and appreciate all of the advice.
    u said u were looking to gain 1-2ibs a week, if u talking about lean muscle then forget it. natty u shuld expect to gain about o.5ibs of lean muscle a week. the only time u wuld gain more is when u first start lifting and if ur on a cycle.

also if ur looking for a lean bulk, then u shuldnt go 1k cals over MC. if ur MC is accurate at 3k then u should aim for about 3.6k for a lean bulk, reduce ur fat and protein and up your carbs. fat could go down to 70-75g if u really want a lean bulk but 80g is a good target. good luck!

Made some changes.....Macros are now fairly close to what you suggested Gucks.....all please chime in to see if you agree or if I should alter anything

** Went from two scoops of whey to one....also pulled out the Creatine/BCAA/Glutamine **
    1 cup oats
    54C/10P/1.5F

Syntha 6 - 1 scoop Whey protein shake with 12oz 1% milk
    32C/46P/11.5F

Total: 86C/46P/15F - 663 Cals

** Went from 3oz of WW Pasta to 4oz. Went from 8oz of 96%GB to 4oz **

4 oz Whole Wheat Pasta with 1/2 cup Marinara Sauce
    91C/16P/6F

4 oz Lean Beef (96 %)
    0C/25P/4.5F

Total: 91C/41P/10.5F - 523 Cals

** Went from 8oz Chix to 4oz **

1 cup cooked brown rice
    46C/5P/2F

1/2 cup black beans
    25C/7P/1F

4oz grilled Chicken
    0C/27P/1F

Total: 71C/39P/4F - 472 Calories

** Went from 8oz Chix to 4oz **

1 cup cooked brown rice
    46C/5P/2F

1/2 cup black beans
    25C/7P/1F

4oz grilled Chicken
    0C/54P/2F

Total: 71C/39P/4F - 472 Calories

Workout 5:30 - 6:30 pm

** Added post workout Shake...forgot first time around **

2 scoops Syntha 6 with 12 oz 1% milk and 40g of Wazy Maize

85C/58P/16F - 716 Calories

** Went from 6 oz Cod to 4oz Tilapia **

8oz Sweet Potato
    48C/8P/0F

4oz Tilapia
    0C/20P/2.5F

1oz Almonds
    4C/4P/9F

Total: 52C/32P/11.5F - 440 Cals

** Pulled the Cottage cheese and switched with casein powder with 1% milk **

1 scoop casein powder with 12 oz skim milk
    22C/36P/5F

2 tbs peanut butter
    16C/8P/12F

Total: 38C/44P/17F - 481 Cals

Grand Totals: 494C/299P/78F - 3767 Cals

Gucks is offline Member
    i like it alot more! the only thing i would change is ur PWO shake, thats alot of milk. u really dont need that much, i go by ml instead of oz so im nore sure exactly how much 12oz is but i go 4 200ml of milk PWO, u can go 300ml with the waxy maize.

Gucks is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gucks View Post
    i like it alot more! the only thing i would change is ur PWO shake, thats alot of milk. u really dont need that much, i go by ml instead of oz so im nore sure exactly how much 12oz is but i go 4 200ml of milk PWO, u can go 300ml with the waxy maize.
    just looked up oz to ml conversion, bout 30ml in an oz so the milk isnt as much as i thought. still wuld reduce it though to about 9/10oz.

do the same for ur casein shake. i know casein is much thicker then whey but 12oz is still to much right before bed. alot of sugar in milk!

My reasoning for the 12oz is that when i mix the other supplements they get a little thick so I like to thin them out a bit with the extra liquid. I will drop to 10oz and see how they mix though. Thanks again for all of the help!

Thread Information