rocknRIGGAR is offline Junior Member
    Blog Entries

Wight loss and coffee q pls

Dose norm coffee not latte or milk laden coffees stop the corse or interfere w weight loss on any way ??

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    An article I found - not sure of it's validity though:

Coffee and Caffeine hinder weight loss

Studies have shown that caffeine (as in coffee and some sodas) contributes to insulin resistance (thus making it harder to lose weight), increases appetite (again making it harder to lose weight) and contributes to food cravings (making it difficult to adhere to a weight loss diet). In those studies, even decaffeinated coffee is shown to be detrimental to weight loss.

Caffeine also interferes with GABA and prevents it from performing its calming duties in the human body. This then increases physiological and psychological stress (often associated with both overeating and difficulty adhering to a weight loss diet). Those who are trying to lose body fat (weight) would do well to avoid caffeine.

Many overweight people, particularly those who have frequently 'dieted' and lost weight only to regain it later, are insulin resistant. Unfortunately, many people who are insulin resistant are unaware of it. If you have insulin resistance, using caffeine will further affect your metabolism.

It will have the opposite outcome of what you want. In the long term, avoiding caffeine will help to boost your metabolism. Naturally increasing your metabolism by combining correct eating (replacing or strictly limiting refined/processed carbohydrates with natural 'fat burning' foods) and (unless unable to exercise) cardio exercise, plus, if possible, weight training, will lead to fat loss and increased lean muscle. Lean muscle is your metabolic furnace that will burn extra calories/energy 24 hours daily and not just when you are exercising.

Even if you are unable to exercise, increasing metabolism and maintaining it long term will enable you to avoid future weight gain.

Blog Entries
    Thx GB quite interesting whats ur view on it?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknRIGGAR View Post
    Thx GB quite interesting whats ur view on it?
    I'm not quite sure man... I don't really have any strong evidence to support either argument. I know I personally like it just for the 'boost' I feel. I've never noticed it hinder any loss, but then again i've never gone without it in a controlled manner, so who knows?

I think that at the end of the day, it's effects if any would be very minimal, and not the make or break of any diet. I may be wrong, and would love to see more on this if anybody wants to take it on.

SergeantCarbs is offline Associate Member
    I drink a lot of coffee. Didnt hinder my progress while dropping 80 lbs

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    i remember one diet guru that used to do infomercials guaranteed 10lbs weight loss alone from cutting coffee out and nothing else different...
    ...forget his name...i always wondered how that would work...mayb the article gbrice posted explains it

Blog Entries
    Well here gose I week no coffee I have long blacks espresso 5 a day and there strong I'm going green tea ! I do have alot of hunger cravings but Dropped 19 body fat w drinking lots coffee must say was a bit of a mess in the morn at the gym 5 am w the shakes ! Keep u posted!

38jumper38 is offline Senior Member
    can't live without my "supreme Colombia" coffee in the morning.

Gucks is offline Member
    i dont drink coffee but i take 400mg of caffeine pre workout which equates to 6 cups of coffee, i was able to cut fat just as well after i started taking it as before. as GB said, if it does have an effect i would say it is minimal.

Blog Entries
    Thx gucks

AllDay is offline Junior Member
    I got down to 5% body fat drinking LOTS of coffee and a clean diet. Coffee in the morning almost satisfied me like a cheat meal. And being satisfied when your are hardcore dieting is priceless. For me I need my coffee. I just drink it black also.

Thread Information