leebo73 is offline Junior Member

Post workout shakes

Ok I know I need a fast acting whey protein,and some carbs , I have done so much research to try to find the best and the more I dig the more confused I get. I have been taking syntha 6 but I am starting to find out thats only good for before bed. So what should I take post workout that has everything I need in it.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Syntha-6 isn't considered a very quality protein. It's got more fat and carbs than needed, and a bunch of other crap as well.

It comes down to how much you're willing to spend. A good protein that gives you alot of bang for your buck is Dymatize Elite Whey. Isopure is decent as well. If you're willing to spend some money, Beverly makes a great whey protein isolate.

Hope this helps.

Should I just use the syntha 6 for just before bed or ditch it all together ? I liked it because the taste is awesome and you only need 2 scoops that mixes real easy with only 8 oz. Do most people use 2 differnt proteins , like one for post workout and a slow acter like syntha at night ?

songdog is offline ARs TOP DOG ~ MONITOR ~
    I like optiuim nutrition. I was given a big jug of isopure.I didnt care for it.Now I aint saying it isnt better.gbrice knows the stuff on that.I just didnt like the taste.

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    Pretty much any weight gainer will do the trick. They pretty much all have 80g carbs,50g protein and 550 cals. Real Mass,Up your Mass, Cytogainer etc. I personally think Real Mass has the best taste but i use Cytogainer because it is lactose free and I can stomach it the best

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    The importance of protein type is highly overstated imo. Meaning hydo whey , isolate , concentrate , blend..it really isnt going to make a difference results wise. Fast digesting slow digesting..whatever. Recent evidence suggest that nutrient timing, rate of diegestion and frequent meals do not necessarily translate to any better results. My personal experience bears this out to an extent as well - ive used strictly isolate , hydro - isolate -conc belnd , just concentrate , and other blends ..with no diff in results. Im not saying dont have good pwo nutrition ...in the form of a shake then later a pwo meal - thats fine. Just dont worry so much about this or that particular protein ...find one that is of good repuation, affordable...that preferably you like (even at that so what..i chug it). As far as carbs..few diff schools of thought. I personally use oats in my shake pwo ..ive tried simple carbs...doesnt work any better and in my case i dont respond well to all the sugar. Glycogen stores will be replenished just fine with low gi carbs and no sugar will create sufficient insulin spike to imo provide an effective difference in body composition. Most importantly hit your daily macros...make sure your shake marcos are inculded in this and fit in ..and you will be fine.
    My current choice is a vanilla whey, casein, egg blend with oats and cinnamon.....

I do a syntha 6 post workout and some fruity pebbles.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leebo73 View Post
    I do a syntha 6 post workout and some fruity pebbles.
    perhaps i should have added ..i DO like my protein to be protein with incidental carbs and fats. Syntha 6 if im not mistake has 12g fat per 42 or 44 g or protein and 30 g of carbs. Not necessarily aweful... just not my personal choice....

Gucks is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel View Post
    Pretty much any weight gainer will do the trick. They pretty much all have 80g carbs,50g protein and 550 cals. Real Mass,Up your Mass, Cytogainer etc. I personally think Real Mass has the best taste but i use Cytogainer because it is lactose free and I can stomach it the best
    the problem with nearly all weight gainersw on the market is the sugar content. their allmost entirely made up of maltodextrin (i know its technical a starch but its considered a sugar). the only one ive tryed is serious mass by ON its good but ALL of its carbs come from maltodextrin. stcik to mixing ur own PWO imo, a good whey like ON gold standard and some good carbs.

Gucks is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    The importance of protein type is highly overstated imo. Meaning hydo whey , isolate , concentrate , blend..it really isnt going to make a difference results wise. Fast digesting slow digesting..whatever. Recent evidence suggest that nutrient timing, rate of diegestion and frequent meals do not necessarily translate to any better results. My personal experience bears this out to an extent as well - ive used strictly isolate , hydro - isolate -conc belnd , just concentrate , and other blends ..with no diff in results. Im not saying dont have good pwo nutrition ...in the form of a shake then later a pwo meal - thats fine. Just dont worry so much about this or that particular protein ...find one that is of good repuation, affordable...that preferably you like (even at that so what..i chug it). As far as carbs..few diff schools of thought. I personally use oats in my shake pwo ..ive tried simple carbs...doesnt work any better and in my case i dont respond well to all the sugar. Glycogen stores will be replenished just fine with low gi carbs and no sugar will create sufficient insulin spike to imo provide an effective difference in body composition. Most importantly hit your daily macros...make sure your shake marcos are inculded in this and fit in ..and you will be fine.
    My current choice is a vanilla whey, casein, egg blend with oats and cinnamon.....
    is tht ur tat? is the probbly the sweetest tat ive ever seen...deffinately gonna consider copying it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gucks View Post
    is tht ur tat? is the probbly the sweetest tat ive ever seen...deffinately gonna consider copying it!
    No its not..i just think its pretty cool ...mine are mostly tribal....
    That one is all over the net.... its actually my first AV form when i joined up here...

Why do you think syntha 6 is a slow acting protein? It's not - it's just a blend of the different proteins (whey isolate, concentrate, casein, etc.) with some carbs and some fat. A slower acting protein would be any pure casein powder, while a faster acting protein would be an isolate. Typically, you would want a fast acting isolate for PWO and a slow digesting protein like casein before bed mixed with some fats to further slow absorption during sleep. IMO syntha 6 is garbage because of all the added fillers that give you the carbs and unnecessary fats (that you don't need PWO) but it does taste absolutely amazing.

Daboss is offline New Member
    I just picked up some Whey Isolate today for my PWO it is fast acting. Dymatize ISO 100 but it has 0fat 0carbs 0lactose. I chose it because I am now using Udo's Oil so I didnt need the fats. Plus after the shake I take in 60g of carbs PWO also.

Now I am new and I also am just getting advice in the diet forums but I believe for me this is the best route.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel View Post
    I wouldn't bother with weight gainers. If you want to gain weight, eat real food. Supplement with shakes where it makes sense, PWO for instance.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Most "weight gainers" have to much fat for my liking pwo. I have had best results with a 50/50 blend of whey and casein w/ oats and maybe 1/2 banana pwo.

St3ddy is offline New Member
    I'm a big fan of Universal's Torrent for my PWO. It's a combination of hydrolyzed whey, carbs (waxy maize, dextrose, and maltodextrin), and leucine. It's also got an amino blend in it as well.

Thread Information