frank784 is offline Junior Member

Vitargo vs Waxy Maize

I understand these are both good post workout carbs as they are fast acting and restore glycogen. I bought some Vitargo today and GNC....mixed it with 12% of milk and a scoop of Sytha 6 whey. After mixing it was very hard to drink and it was almost as think as yogurt.

Is Wazy Maize any better? Any suggestions to make it an easier shake to have post workout? Initial thoughts are to drop the milk and have with water.

Thanks.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    I've been hearing nothing but good things about Vitargo from the guys who advocate/practice simple carbs PWO since it was released. Waxy Maize was the "gold standard" prior to Vitargo. I can't imagine you'd go wrong with either but if price is a factor, go for the WM.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    12% Milk, huh? No wonder it was so thick; that sh!t was heavy cream you were drinking!!!

I know you meant 2%. =)

Vitargo gets touted as some really good stuff. I haven't used it myself yet as i'm happy with complex carbs PWO.

As for your problem, try cutting it with some water, and/or use skim milk. If it's too thick, add more liquid. Pretty simple.

Whoops big typo. I was trying to put I mixed with 12 oz of milk....I'm using 1% now. I'm going to try water next time and up the liquid. Wasn't sure if wazy maize's consistency was the same as vitargo....I have read some good things on both. I am just trying to get away from having bananas post workout as I know there are better carb choices. Thanks.

snowbo is offline New Member
    im pretty sure your supposed to have it mixed with water and your whey shake separately PWO.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbo View Post
    im pretty sure your supposed to have it mixed with water and your whey shake separately PWO.
    I'll give that a shot....i read the vitargo container and it says mix with room temperature water for best results. Thanks.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    I cannot justify paying the extra for vitargo when i believe PWO carbs are NOT as important as everyone thinks

I will stick with oats or WMS

And by the way simple/complex PWO does not matter, neither will fully replenish glycogen stores so i would not worry about it too much...

Glycogen is replenished over an extended period, not with simply 75g of carbs PWO

And I would actually like to see a study done comparing muscle glycogen replenoshment over an 18 hour period when WMS, Vitargo or oats were consumed PWO in equal amounts to similar people

I think you would be supprised to see that it actually makes little difference

Gucks is offline Member
    ive been flamed before so ill make sure to provide proof of my claims this time :P waxy maize is nowhere near as fast absorbing as people think. it used to be claimed as the fastest absorbing carb there is, complete bs!
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/waxy...tarch_myth.htm

i just stick to some oats in my PWO shake with some fruit. my personal choice, never tried vitargo and when i used dextrose with malto in 50:50 ratio i gained fat so i stick to what i know now.

I don't want to sound like a whatever, but this Vitargo stuff tastes horrible so far and from reading the article, if I can get away with some blended oats and fruit PWO with my whey I am all for it. Thanks.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    I'd just go for the oats man. Fruit has its place in a healthy diet but it won't do what you're looking for as a PWO carb as efficiently as glucose.

Oats it is....Thanks for all the help.

Thread Information