musclestack is offline Productive Member

How important is Whey?

As some of you may know, it is difficult for me to get Whey protein where I live (Africa). The couple of places that I've found it, it's very expensive....about $80 for 2kg, which would last me one month if i wanted to consume 44 grams of protein from it pwo. I could bring some up from South Africa, but if I didn't always have someone to bring it up to me every month, I'm sure I wouldn't have a constant supply. And I also don't have the cash to by a supply to get me through several months at a time. So, how important is it that I have Whey after my workout? Is there any real food that I could replace the whey with? Right now, I'm eating 10 egg whites and 100g of oats pwo (2 foods that are relatively cheap here). Do you think whey would benefit me that much more? If so, I guess I'll just have to suck it up and dish out the cash for whey. Wanted to get you guys' opinions first.

By the way, I can order it online, but with shipping, I really wouldn't be saving that much $

maxwkw is offline Associate Member
    I don't think that you'd see a big difference with the egg whites and oats. You should be fine.

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You can get by without whey, no big deal.

Good food and BCAA post workout....that is what I use.

You would be getting more from your egg whites and oats then most guys get from their whey.

n00bs is offline Member
    Rawww mmillk hhhmmmmm

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Thanks guys! Just trying to bulk as much as possible over the next 12 months. Would like to put on about 15 lbs of lbm naturally, and I don't want to compromise my gains just because I don't have a quickly-absorbed protein pwo.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.
    Any other thoughts are appreciated!

Choppers is offline Associate Member
    If I'm not mistaken some varieties of lentils also have decent amounts of protein too and probably easy to come by in your neck of the woods.

Alone is offline New Member
    yes , 100 grm of raw lentils got about 350 cal /60 grm of carb / 26 grm protein and only 1 grm fat .

terraj is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Choppers View Post
    If I'm not mistaken some varieties of lentils also have decent amounts of protein too and probably easy to come by in your neck of the woods.

But they are incomplete proteins.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Eggs/whites would be a great alternative. Eggs have excellent bioavailability and are relatively fast digesting - not as fast as whey, but not a bad alternative - and they're real food which they get points for in my book.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    ^^ This.

Although, remember that most good whey proteins also have added glutamine and BCAAs so I'd supplement with both.

Thread Information