SaintInASinnersEyes is offline Junior Member

How many cans of tuna is it ok for me to be eating per day?

For the past 3 or 4 months I've been eating 1 or 2 cans per day but mostly 2. I have been eating the chunk light in water. How many cans per day of this stuff do you think is safe ? I really don't want to get mercury poisoning

MR-FQ320 is offline This means war!
    IDK but I eat at least one a day too, either John West or the other big brand, i think I read something about this and the amount of mercury was absolut minimum, could be wrong. theres no warning on the tins though is there, so save your receipts as proof of purchase and if you die from mercury poisining you can sue them lol :_)

joshh is offline Associate Member
    ^ haha

well i eat 2x 185g tins a day and im still here. the mercury actually keeps me sane

well I guess it's ok then lol ?

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    I have heard that the mercury is higher in the branded stuff

That may be BS IDK

A generall recomendation for normal people is 3 cans a week

I have done 2 cans a day before for weeks on end withou any problems that i know of :s

I dont use tuna as a protein source verry often anymore, only if i forget to buy my chicken and beef

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    I'd say don't eat it since it's high as fvck in sodium, dry unless you add calories via sauce, loaded with mercury, and probably a good bit more expensive than just buying meat/raw fish in bulk.

However, if you really like it or it's convenient for you - the solid white albacore (good stuff) is exponentially higher in mercury. So, stick to the catfoodesque chunk light if you want to eat it twice a day. I know people here and in real life who have it as a staple in their diets and they're still alive and kicking.

clemont51 is offline Banned
    You should be cautious if cats start following you about.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    i read an article about two months ago that said that the mercury poisoning is complete bullshit with tuna and that you would have to eat something like 5lbs a day for ten years to make a real effect to it.. it is just more of the food police being overly cautious when it comes to pregnant women eating the shit

I heard that too Machine and have stopped advocating the "X many cans per week" rule but it's undeniable that celebrities such as Jeremy Piven who eat Ahi sushi on a daily basis have gotten mercury poisoning. I think it's funny actually.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    I heard that too Machine and have stopped advocating the "X many cans per week" rule but it's undeniable that celebrities such as Jeremy Piven who eat Ahi sushi on a daily basis have gotten mercury poisoning. I think it's funny actually.
    looked into this.. and supposedly that is bullshit too.. i eat close to 250g of ahi tuna a day (look at my log).. i used to eat more, and never had a problem.. It is just way blown out of proportion.. and these "Hollywood stars" help spread these lies to cover up their party life styles, and the idiot mainstream media eats it up.

http://gawker.com/#!5114483/more-peo...n-sushi-excuse

yo thanks guys

Damn, good link. That'll teach me to put any stock into mainstream news, haha.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    chunk light tuna is said to have less mercury then albacore

n00bs is offline Member
    Eat tuna... If you feel your intake is high get tested (hair mineral analysis)

Another study found that polymorphisms in glutamyl-cysteine ligase and glutathione S-tranferases genes modify mercury retention in humans exposed to elemental mercury vapor. Genotypes with decreased GSH availability for mercury conjugation affect the metabolism of inorganic mercury, increasing mercury retention (26). Similarly, many people lack a Metallothionene related glutathione-S-Transferase gene called GSTM1 or have a related polymorphism that appears to be key for proper functioning of the body’s own natural detoxification mechanisms. This may explain at least in part why some people develop the chronic health problems linked to heavy metals while others who are similarly exposed do not. (31)
    http://www.flcv.com/suscept.html

Thread Information