gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Cottage Cheese before bed - worth it?

I've recently switched to cottage cheese from a casein shake for my bedtime meal. I did it for a change of 'scenery', and also I like to eat as much real food as possible.

I'm eating 1% milk fat because I was lucky enough to find one with no added salt (2% RDV sodium per serving vs. 19% for the other stuff). I am eating 1.5 servings which provides the same amount of protein as my casein shake did. The problem I have is the 4g sugar per serving - that's 6 g for my serving size vs. 0g sugar for my casein shake. Is it even worth it?

6g of sugar might sound trivial, but it is my bedtime meal, and i'm insulin resistant as it is.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by gbrice75; 03-08-2011 at 04:51 PM.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    U know my aproach m8...

Try it and see how u respond

Numbers are numbers, fuk... I could talk numbers all day

But all that matters is results...

Dont listen to anyone

Listen to ur body instead

You know better than any of us but IMO it's not worth it if you have issues with your blood glucose already, especially while cutting.

For me, any non-complex carb that I eat after 6 - 7pm gives me issues with gaining fat unless I'm at a calorie deficit.

That being said, you're only talking about 6 grams.......

And anyway dude

Lets talk bulshit numbers here for all the number crunchers out there....

Lets say for example all of those 6g of sugar were converted into adipose tissue

6g of sugar is 24 calories

1 lb of fat is 3500 calories, maybe

3500/100 = 35 calories = 1%

so ur 24 calories of stored calories equated to less that 1% of 1 Lb of fat

In 1 year asuming every last calorie from the sugar is converted into stored BF you are looking at less than 3.65 Lbs of pure fat....

Im falling asleep............................................ ...............................................

In other words see post number 2.
    Last edited by baseline_9; 03-08-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Lmao, I hear you Base!!! You know me, i'm a worry wart, and am alot better at helping others than I am with helping myself...

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    I don't think 6g of sugar is trivial at all since I know you're making a concerted effort to avoid all sugar. I mean, if we're gonna let that slide, why not put ketchup on eggs; it's only 4g per serving. What about eating carrots for veggies instead of greens; not like they're loaded with sugar or anything.

Point being, if you were just trying to maintain or you had a very active lifestyle outside of the gym that allowed for a diet higher in sugars - it would be one thing but you're pretty hardcore about your diet and still trying to cut up aggressively (I think), so why not go for the option with less sodium, no sugar, no milk fat, BCAAs, and glutamine. Also, I consider casein to be "real food" to some extent based on the slow digestion rate that yields thermogenisis to the same extent cottage cheese will, right?

GB i cnt keep up with u

R u cutting or gaining ATM LOL

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    GB i cnt keep up with u

LoL, I know i'm driving you all nuts with my inability to stick to a regimen. UGH! See my log (just updated) for the answer to this.

GB i cnt keep up with u

I just asked him that same question in his thread and still waiting on an answer.

Just saw your thread, commented as well. I'm posting to revise my answer to this question: don't worry about the cottage cheese sugar since you're no longer on this aggressive cut. However, I stand by my comment that casein is a superior product.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I often go back and forth on this same topic in my head. What I do is this before bed: 1/2 cup ff cottage cheese, 8 oz. water, 1 scoop ON casein, 1 tbl spoon natty pb, splash of cinnamon, and a few ice cubes...blend it all together and you have a delicous bedtime shake w/ only a few grams of sugar. Works for me!

Kawigirl is offline Knowledgeable~Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman View Post
    You know better than any of us but IMO it's not worth it if you have issues with your blood glucose already, especially while cutting.

For me, any non-complex carb that I eat after 6 - 7pm gives me issues with gaining fat unless I'm at a calorie deficit.

That being said, you're only talking about 6 grams.......
    I agree...I eat before bed...but....I'm also NOT cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    I often go back and forth on this same topic in my head. What I do is this before bed: 1/2 cup ff cottage cheese, 8 oz. water, 1 scoop ON casein, 1 tbl spoon natty pb, splash of cinnamon, and a few ice cubes...blend it all together and you have a delicous bedtime shake w/ only a few grams of sugar. Works for me!
    Sounds delicious, unfortunately too many calories for my bedtime meal!

Quote Originally Posted by Kawigirl View Post
    I agree...I eat before bed...but....I'm also NOT cutting.
    Love the new avy!!!

Sounds really good - I may try it this week!

It's been forever since I had a real before-bed shake - usually I just mix up my casein with natural PB in a little ramekin every morning with just a bit of water so it's like a really thick pudding. I let it sit in the fridge until I'm ready for bed, by which time it's like a thick cheesecake consistency PB/Vanilla mousse - I savor each spoonful then pass out, haha. Sometimes I do it with 1 tbs of almond butter and 1 tbs of coconut oil too which is damn good also. The ON vanilla is so great.

Also, GB - have you tried the cottage cheese ice cream trick I got from TOP a while back? Blend it up with vanilla and sweetener for a long time, keep scraping down the sides until it's smooth. Store it back in the original container in the fridge. It's good just refrigerated but when I used my Ice Cream maker, it was literally perfect but it's since broken

Anyway, just a nice change of pace/something creative. It's easy to stick to a diet when you're missing out on less.

Gucks is offline Member
    im bored some im gonna give my 2c. casein is just so much more convenient and better tasting...only reason i take it over cottage cheese. tht stuff is nasty...

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    Also, GB - have you tried the cottage cheese ice cream trick I got from TOP a while back? Blend it up with vanilla and sweetener for a long time, keep scraping down the sides until it's smooth. Store it back in the original container in the fridge. It's good just refrigerated but when I used my Ice Cream maker, it was literally perfect but it's since broken

Anyway, just a nice change of pace/something creative. It's easy to stick to a diet when you're missing out on less.
    exactly what i was doing m8, just keeping it in the fridge

i have frozen it b4 but like u say it kind of goes like ice around the sides

i may invest in an ice cream maker for when im gaining

cottage cheese
    vanilla extract
    lemon zest
    sweetner

that would make a gr8 ice cream

did the machine make it perfect? was it kind of like forzen yoghurt?

Reed is offline AR's Pitbull ~Vet~
    Ditch the cottage cheese ladies. Eat more grass fed BEEF!!! lol

exactly what i was doing m8, just keeping it in the fridge

i have frozen it b4 but like u say it kind of goes like ice around the sides

i may invest in an ice cream maker for when im gaining

cottage cheese
    vanilla extract
    lemon zest
    sweetner

that would make a gr8 ice cream

did the machine make it perfect? was it kind of like forzen yoghurt?
    Yes, it was just like frozen yogurt. Also, you have an eye for the delicious bro - I would use zest as well - really, really nice. Truth be told, I enjoyed having the ice cream machine for BB foods other than the cottage cheese because I did some great things with skim milk, whey, coconut oil, almond pieces, coconut shavings, and swirled in unsweetened chocolate melted with splenda. I still considered it a semi cheat meal because I don't usually do milk but that shit was good!

If you're gonna do it though, buy a good one because mine was cheap and didn't last long. It was left-over from my fat days.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed View Post
    Yeah, good post - it doesn't get any better.

Remember boys and girls, happy cows.

I year ya man... I know beef would be the best option by far, but eating beef right before hitting the pillow just isn't appealing to me. Neither is cooking it or even heating it up for that matter.

Standby is offline ~AR's Nice Guy
    here use my thinking. every time i even look at cottage cheese i want to barf all over. so casein wins

boz
    boz is offline R.I.P. T-Gunz Gone but, Never Forgotten.
    I'm not trying to hijack thread but what is everyones thoughts on stacking both together before bed, say 250g of cottage cheese and 2 sccops of casein?

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Sounds delicious, unfortunately too many calories for my bedtime meal!
    Well if that's the case you might drop the pb. I believe 1/2 cup ff cottage cheese has 120 cals plus scoop ON casein equals 120 cals...so 240 cals before bed shouldn't be to much.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    Sounds really good - I may try it this week!

It's been forever since I had a real before-bed shake - usually I just mix up my casein with natural PB in a little ramekin every morning with just a bit of water so it's like a really thick pudding. I let it sit in the fridge until I'm ready for bed, by which time it's like a thick cheesecake consistency PB/Vanilla mousse - I savor each spoonful then pass out, haha. Sometimes I do it with 1 tbs of almond butter and 1 tbs of coconut oil too which is damn good also. The ON vanilla is so great.
    Give it a shot! When I first heard about this shake I was like "GROSS", as I hate cottage cheese, but when all of this is blended together the texture of the cottage cheese is non existent and just gives a nice creamy flavor. FYI, I think ON's vanilla casein taste a little better than the choc in this shake.

Would love to but those damn cows are expensive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Standby View Post
    here use my thinking. every time i even look at cottage cheese i want to barf all over. so casein wins
    I hate cottage cheese too, I guess it's mostly the texture that bothers me. Blend that shit up and it's a whole nother ball game...don't knock it until you try it!

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    Gbrice- Last week, I was going to private message you this EXACT question and then I forgot. Then, I log on and see you started a thread about it..hilarious...lol

Im just messing with you all.

Quote Originally Posted by boz View Post
    I'm not trying to hijack thread but what is everyones thoughts on stacking both together before bed, say 250g of cottage cheese and 2 sccops of casein?
    If it fits into your daily calories, go for it - no problem there at all. That's alot of protein though, I would imagine a single scoop would be sufficient - that plus the cottage cheese would be around 50g or so...

Well if that's the case you might drop the pb. I believe 1/2 cup ff cottage cheese has 120 cals plus scoop ON casein equals 120 cals...so 240 cals before bed shouldn't be to much.
    My bedtime meal is like 150 calories, so it's still too much - not that I couldn't make adjustments to accommodate it.

Quote Originally Posted by ****** View Post
    Gbrice- Last week, I was going to private message you this EXACT question and then I forgot. Then, I log on and see you started a thread about it..hilarious...lol
    Lmao, nice bro - i'm thinking ahead for both of us!

Im just messing with you all.
    No worries Reed... you're right - if I were a real man, i'd be eating my meals instead of drinking them.

Whats important to understand is that there can be many roads to the same goal. Personally Im just SICK of shakes and cottage cheese makes my stomach rumble so Ill eat before bed though this doesn't always happens. Sometimes it is a shake along side other nutrients as well

You're still THE MAN gbrice!

Whats important to understand is that there can be many roads to the same goal. Personally Im just SICK of shakes and cottage cheese makes my stomach rumble so Ill eat before bed though this doesn't always happens. Sometimes it is a shake along side other nutrients as well

You're still THE MAN gbrice!
    I agree man... at the end of the day it's about getting sufficient nutrients in for the given goal.

Thanks Reed!

Thread Information