dj_pacman51 is offline Junior Member

Eating before training in the morn. Advice...

Its been awhile since I been on here. Good to be back. Anywho...

I usually do my cardio (Low intensity 65% max hr) in the morning on an empty stomach for about 35-45 mins. Now instead of doing that i've recently been doing some MMA training in the morning for about an hour. It's real high intensity training(wrestling, boxing, muay thai, etc). So my question is...Should I eat something before training or train on an empty stomach? My goal is still to get this extra bit of fat off my gut. I'm hanging around 16%, I wanna drop to about 12 or 13 by mid to end of summer. What yall think?

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I'd definitely eat - protein and good complex carbs. Fasted cardio is better done at a lower intensity/stead state. MMA training will probably torch LBM fast.

dj_pacman51 is offline Junior Member
    Aite thx brice

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    I'd sacrifice optimized fat burning for a serious pro/carb meal before MMA training. Definitely don't want to do that fasted.

Gbrice already said it but I can feel 2000 posts and I wanted to reinforce good advice, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    I'd sacrifice optimized fat burning for a serious pro/carb meal before MMA training. Definitely don't want to do that fasted.

Gbrice already said it but I can feel 2000 posts and I wanted to reinforce good advice, lol.
    Lmao, since the OP's question has been answered, I don't mind using this thread to reinforce Damien's reinforcement of my advice! =P

Actually on a productive note: I've had a revelation recently prompted by a conversation with an idiot at the gym, of all people. He was pontificating about pre-workout nutrition (he has a coke and a Snickers) but then made a statement that changed my outlook, seriously. "Way I see it bro, if you eat a lot of carbs before you lift, you'll be able to burn more calories cuz you gonna lift mad hard"

Relating to this thread, even when cutting - don't skimp on your pre-workout nutrition in an effort to optimize fat burning because having the most intense session possible is ultimately the best fat burner/muscle producer there is, right?

Actually on a productive note: I've had a revelation recently prompted by a conversation with an idiot at the gym, of all people. He was pontificating about pre-workout nutrition (he has a coke and a Snickers) but then made a statement that changed my outlook, seriously. "Way I see it bro, if you eat a lot of carbs before you lift, you'll be able to burn more calories cuz you gonna lift mad hard"

Relating to this thread, even when cutting - don't skimp on your pre-workout nutrition in an effort to optimize fat burning because having the most intense session possible is ultimately the best fat burner/muscle producer there is, right?
    This has always been my position. Pre workout is the most important carb meal there is IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I've always been for pre-workout carbs but my stance had been the standard 30-40g split between a few meals, accepting some level of lethargy as compared to when in gain mode. I'm definitely re-evaluating and thinking 60-80g on a cut is probably the way to go. Obviously, exercising some discretion because there's no need for 80g of carbs to do calves, forearms, and 40 minutes of cardio but you know, for the intense days.

Don't get me wrong, I've always been for pre-workout carbs but my stance had been the standard 30-40g split between a few meals, accepting some level of lethargy as compared to when in gain mode. I'm definitely re-evaluating and thinking 60-80g on a cut is probably the way to go. Obviously, exercising some discretion because there's no need for 80g of carbs to do calves, forearms, and 40 minutes of cardio but you know, for the intense days.
    I do a straight 50g protein and about 60g carbs pre-workout - 50g from oats, and a bit of sugar, about 10g from blueberries.

That's pretty solid to start the day, imo.

I_Want_Abs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I do a straight 50g protein and about 60g carbs pre-workout - 50g from oats, and a bit of sugar, about 10g from blueberries.
    That's my comp prep staple breakfast (pre wo) and lunch (ppwo) right there!

40g protein (from whatever source)
    About 75g carbs (100g oats + 100g blueberries + cinnamon)

Can't beat oats and blueberries!

Quote Originally Posted by I_Want_Abs View Post
    That's my comp prep staple breakfast (pre wo) and lunch (ppwo) right there!

40g protein (from whatever source)
    About 75g carbs (100g oats + 100g blueberries + cinnamon)

Can't beat oats and blueberries! :)
    Amen!!!

Thread Information