asianbro is offline Junior Member
    Blog Entries

Advice on a my diet to bulk

Ok little bit about my self,

Weight: 76 kg or 168 pounds
    Height: 175 cm
    Bf : about 22% (according to one of those machines)

I would like to start bulking to put on some weight, I believe that i have a good understanding of exercises and what works well for me as i have been trialing and erroring quite a lot

Meal Plan

Meal 1 : Oats with milk
    Calories: 432
    Protein : 18.2g
    Fat : 10.6
    sat Fat : 4.6
    Carbs : 65.2 g

Meal 2 : Protein shake with 400Ml of Semi skimmed milk
    Calories: 548
    Protein : 55.8g
    Fat : 7.2g
    sat Fat : 2.4mg
    Carbs : 27.2g

Meal 3 : Chicken breast with one piece of brown rice
    Calories: 350 +216 = 566
    Protein : 38.3 +5 = 43.3
    Fat : 10 +2 = 12
    sat Fat : 2.9 + 0 = 2.9
    Carbs : 0 + 45 = 45

Meal 4 : Protein shake with 400Ml of Semi skimmed milk

PWO : Protein Shake
    Calories :250
    Protein : 42.6
    Carbs :7.2

Meal 5 : Chicken breast with one piece of brown rice + Cottage Cheese (125g)
    Calories: 350 +216 = 566 +97 = 663
    Protein : 38.3 +5 = 43.3 +15 =58.3
    Fat : 10 +2 = 12+1.9 = 13.9
    sat Fat : 2.9 + 0 = 2.9 +1 = 3.9
    Carbs : 0 + 45 = 45+ 3 = 48

Meal 6 : Protein shake with 400Ml of Semi skimmed milk

Total Calories :3555
    Protein: 329 g
    Fat:65.3
    Carb:244g

My Workout will be

Sunday - Chest /Biceps
    Monday - Legs
    Tuesday - off
    Wednesday - Shoulders
    Thursday - off
    Friday - Back Triceps
    Saturday off

This is the only viable routine as i am a student and have university tuesdays and thursdays and work out is not possible on those days

This will be my official proper bulk as i never done one before,

Advice would be helpful regarding my meal plan

I think that i am having too much protein. your help will be much appreciated

frank784 is offline Junior Member
    I will let the others chime in as they are much better at this then me, but some things I see right off the bat:

1. What is your TDEE? We first need to determine how many cals you need a day and build your diet to those specs. No offense, but it sounds like you are carrying a bit of body fat. A lean bulk is needed here as you don't want to gain additional fat. I would also be adding in cardio first thing in the morning to help cut that down.

2. Way too many shakes. Lots of people run into this, I know I did, but you will need to replace the majority of the shakes with whole foods.

3. You want a solid amount of protein in every meal. Looks like you are getting most of your protein in Meal 1 from the milk. I would add in 6 egg whites and 2 whole eggs. Might also want to cut out the milk depending on your needed cals after you determine your TDEE.

4. Grilled chix and brown rice is a good meal. Would also like to see your meal timing and workout times. You need to eat every 2.5-3hours. We also want to make sure you are getting a good pre work out meal as well with proper timing.

5. I see you adding cottage cheese in meal 5....if you are going to do cottage cheese use it as your protein source for your last meal of the day. Use a non or low fat (1%). Cottage cheese contains casein protein which is slow digesting and your body will need it when it's trying to eat your muscles for the eight hours you are sleeping.

Best of luck with your bulk.

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by asianbro View Post
    Ok little bit about my self,

Weight: 76 kg or 168 pounds
    Height: 175 cm
    Bf : about 22% (according to one of those machines) What kind of machine did you use? If it's correct, then body fat is too high to justify a bulk diet. Better to reduce body fat first so you can actually appreciate the gains you make when bulking later on, and it won't be so hard to cut later and try to maintain lbm. Just to be sure though, I would post a pic so members can estimate your bf% in case your numbers are off.

I would like to start bulking to put on some weight, I believe that i have a good understanding of exercises and what works well for me as i have been trialing and erroring quite a lot

Meal Plan

Meal 1 : Oats with milk
    Calories: 432
    Protein : 18.2g
    Fat : 10.6
    sat Fat : 4.6
    Carbs : 65.2 g

Post up exact amounts of all foods so that we can check your macros. Don't just write 'oats with milk'. This meal has no direct source of protein. You need a steady stream of protein throughout your day, accompanied with either a healthy fat or complex carb, or both.

Meal 2 : Protein shake with 400Ml of Semi skimmed milk

Drop the shake. Only shakes in your diet should be Whey pwo, and possibly a cassein shake before bed for slower digestion. Replace this meal with a lean protein and complex carb.

Meal 3 : Chicken breast with one piece of brown rice
    Calories: 350 +216 = 566
    Protein : 38.3 +5 = 43.3
    Fat : 10 +2 = 12
    sat Fat : 2.9 + 0 = 2.9
    Carbs : 0 + 45 = 45

I assume you mean 'one CUP' of rice. Good meal, but still need to see the amount of chicken breast. I'm assuming it's about 6oz based on the 38 grams of protein.

Meal 4 : Protein shake with 400Ml of Semi skimmed milk

Same critique as meal 2.

PWO : Protein Shake
    Calories :250
    Protein : 42.6
    Carbs :7.2

Keep this shake here, but add a complex carb to refill glycogen stores. Oats would be a good choice. You can mix them in with your shake.

Meal 5 : Chicken breast with one piece of brown rice + Cottage Cheese (125g)
    Calories: 350 +216 = 566 +97 = 663
    Protein : 38.3 +5 = 43.3 +15 =58.3
    Fat : 10 +2 = 12+1.9 = 13.9
    sat Fat : 2.9 + 0 = 2.9 +1 = 3.9
    Carbs : 0 + 45 = 45+ 3 = 48

Good meal, but no need for the cottage cheese in this meal. Save for closer to bedtime.

Meal 6 : Protein shake with 400Ml of Semi skimmed milk

Drop the shake here, also. You get much better benefits from eating real food. The milk is full of sugar. If you respond well to milk, go ahead and keep it in your diet, but not right before bed. Replace this meal with a lean red meat, salmon, or cottage cheese with a cassein shake....any protein that contains some healthy fats to slow digestion throughout the night. Leave the carbs out.

Total Calories :3555
    Protein: 329 g
    Fat:65.3
    Carb:244g

I think you could probably lower protein and increase carbs a bit, but nothing wrong with seeing how this split works for you first IMO.

My Workout will be

Sunday - Chest /Biceps Would do chest alone, and keep biceps (arms) on a different day.
    Monday - Legs
    Tuesday - off
    Wednesday - Shoulders
    Thursday - off
    Friday - Back Triceps
    Saturday off

Not training back??

This is the only viable routine as i am a student and have university tuesdays and thursdays and work out is not possible on those days

This will be my official proper bulk as i never done one before,

Advice would be helpful regarding my meal plan

I think that i am having too much protein. your help will be much appreciated
    I would make changes above if I were to do a bulk, however, given your posted bf%, I would concentrate more on cutting. Just my 2 cents. Good luck, bro!

yungone501 is offline Senior Member
    Eat some real food. Way too many shakes...and bad concoctions at that. Oatmeal and just milk for meal 1? You should really invest some time here in the diet section doing more reading then asking. Try and make up a good base diet and let some vets here critique it and optimize it. Good luck.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    What the others have said. Drop the milk and shakes and start eating real food. I don't have time to go through the diet in detail right now but it looks like the guys already have you covered.

Blog Entries
    Ok Thanks for the Advice Guys i really appreciate it, This is my first attempt at a bulk before summer holiday,

Ok this is the picture of me now, I am carrying most of my fat on the belly, Tbh my goal is to lean bulk. Working on my new diet at the moment, will post it up as soon as i have ammended everything

Please Rate my Fat %, i think its around 22 to 25 %

Bodyfat may not be as high as you think based on that fact that you are holding most of it in your mid-section as you mentioned. Having said that, i would not be doing anything close to bulking, lean or otherwise. You need to get that bodyfat down.

I actually believe you should get REALLY lean (10% or lower) due to the fact that you don't have much LBM to worry about losing in the first place. Don't take that the wrong way; it's a great opportunity to get lean without the aggravation of LBM loss, and then you will be nice and primed for a true lean bulk. That's the way i'd go for sure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Bodyfat may not be as high as you think based on that fact that you are holding most of it in your mid-section as you mentioned. Having said that, i would not be doing anything close to bulking, lean or otherwise. You need to get that bodyfat down.

I actually believe you should get REALLY lean (10% or lower) due to the fact that you don't have much LBM to worry about losing in the first place. Don't take that the wrong way; it's a great opportunity to get lean without the aggravation of LBM loss, and then you will be nice and primed for a true lean bulk. That's the way i'd go for sure.
    Thank you very much for the advice, I had a feeling that i gained a bit of weight, not the right one. But I am going through good learning curve on learning on how dieting works. I used to workout hard but since my diet is no good so the pump was only in the gym. Never really grew except maybe just got a bit fat.

The reason i didnt want to start loosing fat straight away was because last September i had GYNO operation and only started training properly in the last 3 months. (not due to steroids )

I am gonna lean up for summer then do a proper controlled diet during winter around sept till january or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by asianbro View Post
    Thank you very much for the advice, I had a feeling that i gained a bit of weight, not the right one. But I am going through good learning curve on learning on how dieting works. I used to workout hard but since my diet is no good so the pump was only in the gym. Never really grew except maybe just got a bit fat.

The reason i didnt want to start loosing fat straight away was because last September i had GYNO operation and only started training properly in the last 3 months. (not due to steroids )

I am gonna lean up for summer then do a proper controlled diet during winter around sept till january or something like that.
    ^ ^ sounds good man! Post up your plan and we'll help you sort it out.

Thread Information