S1X
    S1X is offline New Member

Seeking diet help, appetite is completely non existant!

I'm trying to bulk up to around 170-180. I'm currently 6' and 143(ish) lbs, my diet is lacking BIGTIME...all due to the fact that I always have zero appetite. Why this is, I don't know. Just recently in the past few weeks, it's pretty well shut completely off. I'm lucky if even get two average size meals in me a day. Is there anything that I can eat/take to help work up an appetite? My job involves a decent amount of walking and lifting at times, and I try to get to the gym as much as I can. Any help would be appreciated

38jumper38 is offline Senior Member
    Multivitamin, b12, help improve your appetite.

yungone501 is offline Senior Member
    Drink lots of water and eat smaller meals (6-8) throughout the day. Also, i had some good results with a supplement called 'engorge'. It works by increasing ghrelin, the hormone responsible for stimulating the appetite.

S1X
    Quote Originally Posted by yungone501 View Post
    Drink lots of water and eat smaller meals (6-8) throughout the day. Also, i had some good results with a supplement called 'engorge'. It works by increasing ghrelin, the hormone responsible for stimulating the appetite.
    Won't drinking a lot of water suppress my appetite more? I know it does help aid in digestion though..

S1X
    Bump, need more suggestions!

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Search the site, there have been other thread on the exact topic.

At the end of the day, I think the answer, sadly, is MAN UP and eat! I'm not saying force feed yourself until you vomit, but try and push yourself more. Your stomach will eventually expand to accommodate more food. Get your metabolism fired up, do alot of cardio, train hard, etc. I bet you'll eventually be hungry!

Trainwreck is offline New Member
    You should get bw done. You may be hyperthyroid. I used to have this same problem, although there were complications with radioactive iodine treatment and now I'm hypothyroid... it may be what's killing your appetite.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    I would definitely get some tests run. Go to the doctor and see what they say. I have gone through tons of info regarding lack of appetite and I find there is usually and underlying condition (or many). Try drinking a protein shake in the morning as soon as you wake up, then eat white rice and eggs (as much as you can). After that drink a gatorade with some grape juice. DO that asap and let me know how you feel after. I have tons of ways to put on weight and would love to help. However you need to see a doctor and find the underlying condition. If they say its genetics find another doctor. You can pm me for help anytime. I don't have time to check threads too often... GL

kelevra is offline Member
    I have shakes the first 2 meals of the day, my appetite just doesn't kick in fast in the day and I have a lot of stuff to get down the hatch. the shake looks like this
    1cup liquid egg whites
    1cup skim milk
    1and half cups oats
    let soak a bit to soften oats
    add scoop of whey, blend, and consume
    easy fast way to get good calories

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    That's a decent shake - definitely better than a store-bought gainer or something like that.

OP, as the guys have suggested, if you truly have no/minimal appetite, then yes - tests should be run ASAP.

If you're just not a "big-eater" trying to gain weight for the first time, as GB said - just man up. Drinking a lot of water may suppress appetite the first week or so but it will expand your stomach soon enough and help a lot. Shakes like the one above and calorie dense high-protein foods like a big, juicy steak are the way to go. Things like cooked egg whites, chicken breast, sweet potatoes, fibrous greens, lentils are all very healthy foods I'd recommended but it's hard to get your calories in eating them without huge portions. So until you get your appetite up, eat clean but go for things that pack a punch.

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    try drinking one glass of red wine before dinner, alcohol intesifies cravings for food and you might eat better

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Once Scotty's brought us into that realm: get baked. You'll be hungry, just skip the Cherry Garcia.

S1X
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I'll look into get some tests, are there any particular ones that should be done? I don't drink (cause I'm allergic) or smoke green, so those aren't options. The last time I talked to my doctor about being skinny, she told me "I'll fill out eventually". I can't wait for "eventually", cause really that could be whenever....time waits for no one. I want to get up to what's considered a normal body weight for my height, cause I feel quite self conscious being as skinny as I am....I guess you could say it's taken a bit of a toll on my self esteem over the years and still does.

What are your symptoms exactly? No appetite at all? Crave anything? How about if you eat, what happens? Acid reflux ever? What foods can you eat a lot of, and what can't you eat any of? Headaches? Stomach aches? Whats the morning like for you? What ethnicity are you?

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    Once Scotty's brought us into that realm: get baked. You'll be hungry, just skip the Cherry Garcia.
    that was my college bulking solution

S1X
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    What are your symptoms exactly? No appetite at all? Crave anything? How about if you eat, what happens? Acid reflux ever? What foods can you eat a lot of, and what can't you eat any of? Headaches? Stomach aches? Whats the morning like for you? What ethnicity are you?
    Pretty much just no appetite at all, if I do try and eat anything it takes me forever cause it feels like a chore. I don't get headaches or stomach aches often, when it comes to mornings I'm pretty much up and out the door. I don't get up early enough for breakfasts, and I hate eating in the morning.... I'm an Asian/Caucasian mix.

l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    i dont know if this works for everyone but i find the faster i eat the more i can...it takes about 15 minutes for the brain to send signals of fullness

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by S1X View Post
    Pretty much just no appetite at all, if I do try and eat anything it takes me forever cause it feels like a chore. I don't get headaches or stomach aches often, when it comes to mornings I'm pretty much up and out the door. I don't get up early enough for breakfasts, and I hate eating in the morning.... I'm an Asian/Caucasian mix.
    There is this stuff called Black Hole. It's made by Control Labs and I hear good things about it.

The thing about eating is you have to train yourself to eat. Start off by forcing yourself to eat 6 times a day like the other guys say. And we're not talking like thanksgiving dinner sized meals, just enough to cure your hunger. Then work on increasing it slowly. Eventually, your body will become used to eating this frequently and you will get hungry when the time approaches.

Also, find foods that are really good and make your mouth water thinking about them. I know, I can't help but feel hungry everytime I smell chicken and dumplings cooking. And I could literally have eaten a full meal 20 minutes before.

As far as breakfasts go, get up 10 minutes earlier, have some oatmeal with brown sugar, a few eggs, bacon and a piece of toast. And don't forget a glass of milk and a small glass of orange juice to wash it down.

See just thinking about those two meals made me hungry.

S1X
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    There is this stuff called Black Hole. It's made by Control Labs and I hear good things about it.
    I actually bought that stuff a few months back, tried it...doesn't do anything at all to be honest. What a waste of like $60! One thing that I'd like to add, say if I eat like 2-3 solid meals a day (1 or 2 of those being fast food) my weight will jump a few pounds. Keep in mind this is after the morning #1 & 2, but then in the span of say 24 hrs I can drop back down to 140lbs. What exactly is going on here?
    Last edited by S1X; 03-21-2011 at 12:42 AM.

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by S1X View Post
    I actually bought that stuff a few months back, tried it...doesn't do anything at all to be honest. What a waste of like $60!
    Really? You're the first I've heard say that. Hmmmm.... Do you get hungry when you smell good food at least?

S1X
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Hmmmm.... Do you get hungry when you smell good food at least?
    Somewhat, yes. It doesn't stir up an appetite though, man I'm a mess haha. BTW, I edited my last post, check it out!
    Last edited by S1X; 03-21-2011 at 12:46 AM.

Its probably just the high sodium concentration making you gain water. Anyway bro Try what I suggested in post #8 and tell me what you think. I have been using Insulin spikes to create hunger for myself. Let me know after you try that and we will proceed. I got tons of tricks up my sleeve here but it all starts at breakfast because that is the #1 most important meal for a skinny dude. Trust me on this one.

S1X
    Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Its probably just the high sodium concentration making you gain water. Anyway bro Try what I suggested in post #8 and tell me what you think. I have been using Insulin spikes to create hunger for myself. Let me know after you try that and we will proceed. I got tons of tricks up my sleeve here but it all starts at breakfast because that is the #1 most important meal for a skinny dude. Trust me on this one.
    Alright, what's the idea behind the Gatorade with grape juice?

Thread Information