6 oz plain Greek yogurt
    peach

Meal
    Chicken
    Corn
    Salad
    Lite dressing
    4 oz wine
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    ...wine

makes me happy

and have read that its actualy awsome for the body before bed..if its Red.
    I pref the FULLY organic, less after taste, healtheyer (IMO) and I love seeing the grape skin/pulp bits swirl around the bottom of the glass
    ever try it?
    Tiger and I go to the liquire store weekly for free wine tastings and gourm food pairings (so fun! and free lol...leave it to New Hampshire to give away free booz in the states liqure stores and than send you home in your car baaahahaha) but i always go back to my organic reds.
    SlimmerMe likes this.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Bacon? Really? I'm surprised SM! Not coming down on you - just saying i'm surprised to see this on your menu!

As for your workout - wow, that's a ton of work! I can give you workouts that will cover the entire body in probably 1/2 the time if you'd like.

Anyway, glad to see you logging again. Don't mean for this post to sound negative, you just caught me off guard, that's all.

SexySweetheart is offline "Decide you want it ƸӜƷ more than your afraid of it"Recognized Member Winner - $100
    aaaahahaha i missed the beacon! (she waggs her finger at SM, with a silly scowl and a smile) isn't beacon ham? lmao! just teasin

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    you made me tired reading thru your workout!!! great work slim

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexy4mySweetheart View Post
    ...wine

makes me happy

and have read that its actualy awsome for the body before bed..if its Red.
    I pref the FULLY organic, less after taste, healtheyer (IMO) and I love seeing the grape skin/pulp bits swirl around the bottom of the glass
    ever try it?
    Tiger and I go to the liquire store weekly for free wine tastings and gourm food pairings (so fun! and free lol...leave it to New Hampshire to give away free booz in the states liqure stores and than send you home in your car baaahahaha) but i always go back to my organic reds.
    You are too funny! I am a white wine gal....

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Bacon? Really? I'm surprised SM! Not coming down on you - just saying i'm surprised to see this on your menu!

As for your workout - wow, that's a ton of work! I can give you workouts that will cover the entire body in probably 1/2 the time if you'd like.

Anyway, glad to see you logging again. Don't mean for this post to sound negative, you just caught me off guard, that's all.
    Every so often I slip a little bacon in.....you just happened to have caught it! LOL!

aaaahahaha i missed the beacon! (she waggs her finger at SM, with a silly scowl and a smile) isn't beacon ham? lmao! just teasin
    Keep a waggin......LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    you made me tired reading thru your workout!!! great work slim
    THANKS OOCajun! I am giving it a go!
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

WEEK 19

TOTAL LOST: 25.2

In just one week of eating better, I returned to my lowest weight loss minus another .2 off!

Amazing how this formula works. Just amazing.
    Author Unknown

Week 20, Day 1

Shake
    1 scoop whey
    raspberries

Meal
    Kashi GoLean
    Skim milk
    peach

Meal
    Oat Pancake
    Plain greek yogurt
    blueberries
    sugar free syrup

almonds

CARDIO: 35 minutes HIGH intensity bike ride

Post cardio shake
    1 scoop whey
    raspberries

Meal
    Chicken
    salad
    Pecans
    Balsamic dressing
    5 oz wine
    Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    WEEK 19

In just one week of eating better, I returned to my lowest weight loss minus another .2 off!

go head girl! not so much a formula, its the way you live now!

not so much a formula, its the way you live now!
    ^^^ this!!!

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    SM, just wondering, did you want diet critiques in this log(obviously not many as your diet is pretty sound) or is this more an educational thread?
    Last edited by Phate; 08-13-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: grammatical error
    SlimmerMe likes this.

go head girl! Not so much a formula, its the way you live now!
    you got it!

^^^ this!!!
    exactly!
    Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    SM, just wondering, but did you want diet critiques in this log(obviously not many as your diet is pretty sound) or is this more an educational thread?
    Thanks for stopping by Phate~ Appreciate it.

To answer your question specifically? As it turns out....Yes to both
    Started out to get help/critique with food choices and had no idea how effective this process would be and as a result will hopefully help educate members who need to see what it takes to change eating habits by:

Picking good pre-approved foods you like so you will stick to it
    Logging in daily so members can help tweak while supporting along the way
    Staying patient while trying to see what works
    Realizing consistency is key as in slow wins the race here
    Learning to plan meals ahead of time so as to not just grab something
    Changing what is in the grocery cart
    Understanding it is a lifestyle and not a quick fix
    and most importantly? START whether perfect or not. Get out the gate and get going!

Plus seeing the dedication of fasted cardio along with a second cardio which sure helps to shed the BF....
    In my original 91 day challenge I was cardio for 91 days in a row. YES that is 91 days in a row. Plus the majority of the time cardio 2x's a day and even 3x's a day on many occasions. And I surpassed my goal of losing 20 pounds in 91 days with a loss of 21.2 during that frame time. Now my goal is to SLOWLY lose a bit more while maintaining. And then in a couple months ramp it back up again to take it to another level.

I am thrilled to be here. And thrilled with this new lifestyle. And I have this forum to thank for that.
    Author Unknown

I love the dedication, it's that type of drive that helps others to "find the fire" in themselves and as you said, "get out the gate and get going".

Having read over part of your log(i'll read over it completely later, i'm currently cleaning, studying, cooking, and trying to write on here so i'm jumping around constantly), I noticed you prefer organics, which I commend. If you like, i'd be happy to read over your meal plans and possibly recommend a few items which might help with a few deficiencies that I think might be underlying. Plus i think it would open up a nice debate on organics vs. non-organics and the need for phytonutrients, cofactors, and trace elements in one's diet.
    SlimmerMe likes this.

THANKS PHATE! Wow, I didn't even realize I liked organics so will be interested to see what you say. Looking forward to it!
    ps: I just got some macrogreen and miracle red plus some purple wraath yesterday~
    Author Unknown

okay, let's get this started.

You seem to prescribe to the same thing everyday plan for weight loss, not my favorite but it obviously works for you so in that respect i will focus more on changing specific foods in your diet for the betterment of the whole instead of the whole for the betterment of the diet. To do this in the simplest way i'm going to copy and paste a diet day and write what i would change and why. As a caveot, I need to note that it is difficult to do this with a high degree of specificity due to variables such as nutrient timing, portion size, caloric expenditure, etc…

Week 20, Day 1

Shake
    1 scoop whey
    raspberries

Meal
    Kashi GoLean
    Skim milk
    peach

Meal
    Oat Pancake
    Plain greek yogurt
    blueberries
    sugar free syrup

almonds

Post cardio shake
    1 scoop whey
    raspberries

Meal
    Chicken
    salad
    Pecans
    Balsamic dressing
    5 oz wine

I picked this day to start with because overall it’s not a bad day, unless a few things were neglected.

First off, I personally don’t like the whey shake in the morning due to peak amino acid concentrations being around 45-50 minutes prior to ingestion since there aren’t any fat sources present to slow down absorption. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that casein does some “wretched” things to one’s body, and in a way I agree. It can cause bloating and water retention, but it also has some advantages, specifically in the morning and before bed. Those advantages being that it takes around 8-12 hours to be completely absorbed due to its tendency to “clump” in the stomach and small intentines, and since yogurt is being consumed regularly, the bloating would be minimized, especially if additional enzymes were taken as well or if a few tricks I will mention later are utilized. As for the berries added, bravo, very nice choice, but to be critical, although blackberries and raspberries have very nice glycemic loads due to their fiber/sugar ratio, their antioxidant loads pale in comparison to that that of goji berries and cacao powder, both of which contain over 26,000 and 95,000 ORAC(Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity units) per 100g compared to a high of 4000-5000 for raspberries and blackberries.

The second meal, while not all that bad, does concern me a bit as the proteins found in Kashi cereal are not complete, and while his isn’t necessary, complete sources do need to be a staple in most meals. Also, a few studies I’ve read have shown that skim milk(specifically the lack of fats in it) actually can cause a hunger craving later due to the processed nature of the product. Switching to an organic light soy milk would decrease overall calories, increase satiety, though it would also decrease protein content, which should be increased anyway. Switching the peach for a superfruit such as mango or papaya would increase phytonutrients, cofactors, give a little added fiber, and also add digestive enzymes to the mix. Maybe a little bowl of mixed fruits would be a nice changeup every once in a while, boredom is the killer of most cutting diets after all.

The pre-cardio meal is a little low in protein for me as well, and I wonder what the stats of the yogurt are. One brand I’ve really come to like is Fage, due to it’s high protein content and low fat/sugar content, but some brands of yogurt, especially greek styled ones, can tend to me very fattening and sugar loaded. The last meal is a good representation of a bedtime meal, and the wine is a nice touch for many reasons, though a red wine with resveratrol is preferred to a white wine, but being a bartender and wine connoisseur myself I completely under the OP’s enjoyment of white over red so in this case I’ll definitely take enjoyment over benefits.

To wrap up, a few things that I would consider added to this kind of diet.
    1) Fish oil- Dozens of reasons why, but it’s been shown to have all kinds of health benefits as well as increasing fat oxidization, making it perfect for a cutting diet
    2) Amino acid supplementation- A constant amino acid pool surplus is a must when your body is teetering on the edge of catabolism and anabolism(To the OP, purple wrath is a good supplement and I’m glad you picked some up)
    3) Spirulina- Enough can’t be said for this stuff. It’s up to 70% protein and the rest is fiber, it’s a complete protein, has more health benefits then almost anything I can think of, and on top of that it’s not very expensive. It can also be liquefied so it’s great on the go.
    4) Raw greens- When I say raw I mean RAW!!! A study done decades ago showed that if a meal contains over 51% cooked food your body actually activates a process called leukocytosis, and attacks that food as if it’s an infection! Also, cooking most foods(eggs would be an exception) inactivates enzymes, destroys fluora, and makes most of the vitamins and minerals(up to 70%) unable to be absorbed. Raw foods also contain intact fibers which aid in digestion and promote fullness and wellbeing.
    5) Cacao- Why? It’s chocolate, who doesn’t like chocolate, lol, and the reason why is that it contains not only a massive antioxidant load, but it’s a rare source of phenylethylamine, which is a neuroamine released during love, and thought to be one of the main neurotransmitters which creates this sensation. Increasing levels of this are shown to increase feelings of wellbeing, fulfillments, and overall happiness, and who doesn’t want that nowadays.

Any questions, comments, or arguments are completely welcome, as long as the OP doesn’t mind, this is her log afterall.
    SlimmerMe likes this.

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    What raw greens would you say are best?
    Dairy, in your opinion, is a good thing in a diet?
    Take spirulina when?
    When do you take vitamins (if it matters)?

Phate you have a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    A good mix is always the best option, but quinoa(actually not a veg, but still amazing), broccoli, asparagus, sweet potatoes, garbanzo beans, butternut squash(great for making squash spaghetti) to name a few
    For the normal person, hell yeah, as long as it's organic, i.e. non rBST and growth hormone laden. If you don't mind the bloat and water retention you can get at first and stick to healthy live culture laden products I personally like dairy in a diet, just don't go overboard.
    Take spirulina when?
    Anytime, it's a complete protein so if you make a drink out of it it's basically a protein shake on steroids(pardon the pun), you really can't beat it at anytime but i would definitely use it in the morning to start your day off strong
    it really doesn't, I take them in the morning and a bit after midday(basically q12 hours), and don't listen to the bullshit the media keeps putting out, there have only been 10 ALLEGED deaths from vitamin overdose in the last 23 years and none of those have been proven, the main concern is with men since we have a tendency to store iron so i would invest in an iron free MV since we get plenty of iron from our meats. Women don't store iron as much since you menstrate ever month and this is the equivalent of a mild blood letting session which has been the go to treatment for hemochromatosis(too much iron in the blood) since the disease was cataloged.
    Phate you have a PM.
    PM replied

Hey this is great. Good stuff here. Off to the store to buy some Spirulina and some cacao!
    SlimmerMe likes this.

WEEK 19

!!
    work it girl~!
    SlimmerMe likes this.

Hey this is great. Good stuff here. Off to the store to buy some Spirulina and some cacao!
    Macro Greens contains spirulina, just thought i'd throw that in.

GirlyGymRat is online now Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Slimmer...girlie, you are doin great! I am so happy for you. Have you had to buy new clothes yet???
    Last edited by GirlyGymRat; 08-13-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: a dah...
    SlimmerMe likes this.

Take spirulina when?

Phate you have a PM.
    THANKS FOR ASKING THIS TWIST~

CACAO BOUND FOR ME TOO TWIST!

!!
    work it girl~!
    GIVING MY GO SEXY4! THANKS!

Macro Greens contains spirulina, just thought i'd throw that in.
    GOOD TO KNOW THIS GBRICE~ THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by girlgymrat View Post
    Slimmer...girlie, you are doin great! I am so happy for you. Have you had to buy new clothes yet???
    THANKS GGR! I TOO AM HAPPY! APPRECIATE IT~ And have been shopping in my own closet! ( don't we all have a few sizes in our closets including a bunch of smaller ones to get into when magic happens...)
    Author Unknown

okay, let's get this started.

You seem to prescribe to the same thing everyday plan for weight loss, not my favorite but it obviously works for you so in that respect i will focus more on changing specific foods in your diet for the betterment of the whole instead of the whole for the betterment of the diet. To do this in the simplest way i'm going to copy and paste a diet day and write what i would change and why. As a caveot, I need to note that it is difficult to do this with a high degree of specificity due to variables such as nutrient timing, portion size, caloric expenditure, etc…

Week 20, Day 1

Shake
    1 scoop whey
    raspberries

Meal
    Kashi GoLean
    Skim milk
    peach

Meal
    Oat Pancake
    Plain greek yogurt
    blueberries
    sugar free syrup

almonds

Post cardio shake
    1 scoop whey
    raspberries

Meal
    Chicken
    salad
    Pecans
    Balsamic dressing
    5 oz wine

I picked this day to start with because overall it’s not a bad day, unless a few things were neglected.

First off, I personally don’t like the whey shake in the morning due to peak amino acid concentrations being around 45-50 minutes prior to ingestion since there aren’t any fat sources present to slow down absorption. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that casein does some “wretched” things to one’s body, and in a way I agree. It can cause bloating and water retention, but it also has some advantages, specifically in the morning and before bed. Those advantages being that it takes around 8-12 hours to be completely absorbed due to its tendency to “clump” in the stomach and small intentines, and since yogurt is being consumed regularly, the bloating would be minimized, especially if additional enzymes were taken as well or if a few tricks I will mention later are utilized. As for the berries added, bravo, very nice choice, but to be critical, although blackberries and raspberries have very nice glycemic loads due to their fiber/sugar ratio, their antioxidant loads pale in comparison to that that of goji berries and cacao powder, both of which contain over 26,000 and 95,000 ORAC(Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity units) per 100g compared to a high of 4000-5000 for raspberries and blackberries.

The second meal, while not all that bad, does concern me a bit as the proteins found in Kashi cereal are not complete, and while his isn’t necessary, complete sources do need to be a staple in most meals. Also, a few studies I’ve read have shown that skim milk(specifically the lack of fats in it) actually can cause a hunger craving later due to the processed nature of the product. Switching to an organic light soy milk would decrease overall calories, increase satiety, though it would also decrease protein content, which should be increased anyway. Switching the peach for a superfruit such as mango or papaya would increase phytonutrients, cofactors, give a little added fiber, and also add digestive enzymes to the mix. Maybe a little bowl of mixed fruits would be a nice changeup every once in a while, boredom is the killer of most cutting diets after all.

The pre-cardio meal is a little low in protein for me as well, and I wonder what the stats of the yogurt are. One brand I’ve really come to like is Fage, due to it’s high protein content and low fat/sugar content, but some brands of yogurt, especially greek styled ones, can tend to me very fattening and sugar loaded. The last meal is a good representation of a bedtime meal, and the wine is a nice touch for many reasons, though a red wine with resveratrol is preferred to a white wine, but being a bartender and wine connoisseur myself I completely under the OP’s enjoyment of white over red so in this case I’ll definitely take enjoyment over benefits.

1) Fish oil- Dozens of reasons why, but it’s been shown to have all kinds of health benefits as well as increasing fat oxidization, making it perfect for a cutting diet
    2) Amino acid supplementation- A constant amino acid pool surplus is a must when your body is teetering on the edge of catabolism and anabolism(To the OP, purple wrath is a good supplement and I’m glad you picked some up)
    3) Spirulina- Enough can’t be said for this stuff. It’s up to 70% protein and the rest is fiber, it’s a complete protein, has more health benefits then almost anything I can think of, and on top of that it’s not very expensive. It can also be liquefied so it’s great on the go.
    4) Raw greens- When I say raw I mean RAW!!! A study done decades ago showed that if a meal contains over 51% cooked food your body actually activates a process called leukocytosis, and attacks that food as if it’s an infection! Also, cooking most foods(eggs would be an exception) inactivates enzymes, destroys fluora, and makes most of the vitamins and minerals(up to 70%) unable to be absorbed. Raw foods also contain intact fibers which aid in digestion and promote fullness and wellbeing.
    5) Cacao- Why? It’s chocolate, who doesn’t like chocolate, lol, and the reason why is that it contains not only a massive antioxidant load, but it’s a rare source of phenylethylamine, which is a neuroamine released during love, and thought to be one of the main neurotransmitters which creates this sensation. Increasing levels of this are shown to increase feelings of wellbeing, fulfillments, and overall happiness, and who doesn’t want that nowadays.

Any questions, comments, or arguments are completely welcome, as long as the OP doesn’t mind, this is her log afterall.
    OH MY GOSH PHATE! I FEEL LIKE I JUST GOT PUSHED UP FURTHER TO THE MT TOP! THIS IS GREAT INFO AND I AM GOING TO READ AND RE-READ THIS TO ABSORB IT! I JUST GOT ONLINE (as I tried earlier today but kept locking up on me so I went swimming) and want to digest all of this so I can figure all of this out. Thank you for taking the time with all of these specific suggestions. Before all of this is over, I feel like I will be able to write a dissertation! or at best a thesis!

REALLY APPRECIATE IT A WHOLE LOT PHATE!
    Last edited by SlimmerMe; 08-13-2011 at 07:24 PM.
    Author Unknown

Here goes. My goal? Change my eating habits one by one so I make it a lifestyle. A lifestyle I will stick to forever and ever for once and for all. And any baby step ideas/tips along the way will sure mostly be appreciated.

Phate: Thank you for helping me to make this a successful journey.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Questions/Comments:

Is there a way I could slow down the whey absorption so I could drink it first thing in the morning? It seems the whey I have doesn't seem to have casein in it. Would it be better if it did have casein? confused a bit on this...as to the difference or if one is better than the other or if in fact better to have a blend perhaps...

And re: post fasted cardio. Would the whey shake be okay to have after fasted cardio? since fast absorption for my muscles? Keeping fingers crossed post cardio whey is okay....

NOTE: I am so into the shake as it gets me going in the morning and quite honestly afraid to not have it since if I don't, then I might not eat for a couple hours. A bad habit which needs to be broken but I am being honest here. So getting the shake in helps me to avoid this from happening. Weak argument but the truth.

And enzymes. What kind? any special type? please..

Goji berries. Never even tried them. Have no idea what they taste like.

Now....the piece de resistance. Cacao. I have a serious question about this. I have been a chocoholic for years. And I am not kidding when I say this. With no exaggeration I have been known to eat chocolate all day long whether expensive chocolate or cheap chocolate. And once I do start eating chocolate? It is ALL I can think about as I will route my day to find it. Short of going into what all I have done to get my hands on chocolate since I do not want to contaminate my log with my obsessive behavior, do you think adding cacao for someone like me would be worth the risk? Because it I get a taste of it? All bets could possibly be off; hence the great sense of well being I experience while on it.

Kashi cereal. Is there another cereal you recommend which might be a bit better? The one I get has 13grams of protein. And skim milk? interesting about the cravings....

Fruit: Before starting this log? I rarely ate it. So now that I am enjoying fruit I will add some mixed fruits to get more variety.

Yogurt. I am eating Chobani. I did start out with Fage and then found Chobani to be more available in stores so I tended to stay with it. And I only get plain Chobani. Sometimes in a blue moon I will get vanilla chobani for a chicken dish which only has a couple teaspoons on it.

Wine~ oh so fine. And I am happy to hear you enjoy it too! I am a Pinot girl.

Fish Oil. Just this week learned about this and on my list to get. So thanks for reaffirming the importance of fish oil.

Amino Acid Supplementation. Is the Purple Wraath good for this or do I need something else too?

Spirulina. I will get some of this too. Any particular thing I need to look for? how much? and how often? and what time of day?

Raw Greens. Here is another BIG challenge. I know I need more greens. I need to find some greens I like. So few greens attract me. Yet another thing to overcome. Meantime, what about the MacroGreen and Miracle Red? Will this help at all?
    Lettuce is my major green at the moment. Sad but true. As a kid I sat at the table stirring my plate with a fork trying to make it look like I ate my greens....

------------------------------------------------------------

Looking forward to what you have to say.....
    Please try to understand this: Before starting my log? If you saw what I was eating? You would........well.............let me put it this way.....hmmmmmmm.....Words cannot describe.........

Bottom line: I need to make sure I choose good, better, best as opposed to bad, worse or horrible to keep up my momentum. I am still as raw as a raw green bean on this....

THANKS PHATE!

ps: When you mentioned it seems I prefer organics, could you elaborate on why this is so? I had no idea!
    Last edited by SlimmerMe; 08-13-2011 at 10:30 PM.
    Author Unknown

Week 20, Day 2

Shake
    1 scoop whey
    raspberries

Meal
    Kashi GoLean
    Skim milk

Meal
    Oat Pancake
    Plain greek yogurt
    blueberries
    sugar free syrup

6 oz plain yogurt
    peach

SWIMMING: 25 minute lap swim

Meal
    Pre-planned cheat meal
    Chicken quesadilla with beans
    4 oz wine
    Author Unknown

Here goes. My goal? Change my eating habits one by one so I make it a lifestyle. A lifestyle I will stick to forever and ever for once and for all. And any baby step ideas/tips along the way will sure mostly be appreciated.

Phate: Thank you for helping me to make this a successful journey.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Questions/Comments:

Is there a way I could slow down the whey absorption so I could drink it first thing in the morning? It seems the whey I have doesn't seem to have casein in it. Would it be better if it did have casein? confused a bit on this...as to the difference or if one is better than the other or if in fact better to have a blend perhaps...
    Adding fats such as olive oil, nuts, fish oil, flaxseed oil etc... can slow digestion since the pyloric sphincter between the stomach small intestines closes off when fats are present(i'll elaborate if anyone is interested), also adding fiber slows digestion as well, though not quite as much. As to which is better between casein and whey, they do different things and have different amino acid profiles, but the main difference is speed of digestion, casein takes 8-12 hours while whey takes only 40-50 minutes. If your goal is to lose bf and not directed specifically to gaining muscle then a balanced protein containing fast, medium and slow digesting proteins would be best as that would keep a stable amino acid concentration in the blood which the body could use at any time(if you want help formulating one then i'm sure we can help with that as well). Btw, i would check to make sure your protein contains whey isolate and not whey concentrate, the main difference being the percentage of whey that each must contain, isolate being favored over concentrate since it has around 10% less room for filler if the old standards still apply(I've been out of this game for a couple years and just recently got back in so i'm still a bit rusty and need to refresh my knowledge on quite a few things).
    And re: post fasted cardio. Would the whey shake be okay to have after fasted cardio? since fast absorption for my muscles? Keeping fingers crossed post cardio whey is okay....
    Lol at the finger's crossed, yes, fasted cardio should be done in an aerobic state(btw there is a great debate thread on this if you want me to post the link) so there won't be much post metabolic enhancement(the afterburn effect), therefore anything after fasted cardio is fair game

NOTE: I am so into the shake as it gets me going in the morning and quite honestly afraid to not have it since if I don't, then I might not eat for a couple hours. A bad habit which needs to be broken but I am being honest here. So getting the shake in helps me to avoid this from happening. Weak argument but the truth.
    Whey has been shown to actually decrease levels of Neuropeptide Y36(NPY) if i remember correctly as well as a few other hunger inducers, so a shake in the morning is great, especially after fasted cardio since your glycogen levels will be extremely low causing the brain to induce hunger, specifically sugar cravings.

Digestive, betaine, bromelain, papaya extract, protease, trypsinogen, etc... i've used super enzymes by NOW which are cheap and actually give me a bunch of energy, but anything that contains several good enzymes is fine.
    not bad at all, most of the time they are dried, but you can also soak them overnight in water and then use the berries for cooking and add the liquid to shakes, and everyday drinks for a huge antioxidant kick. They can be a bit expensive since they are finicky about their environment and are grown almost exclusively in the Himalayan mountains of Tibet.

Now....the piece de resistance. Cacao. I have a serious question about this. I have been a chocoholic for years. And I am not kidding when I say this. With no exaggeration I have been known to eat chocolate all day long whether expensive chocolate or cheap chocolate. And once I do start eating chocolate? It is ALL I can think about as I will route my day to find it. Short of going into what all I have done to get my hands on chocolate since I do not want to contaminate my log with my obsessive behavior, do you think adding cacao for someone like me would be worth the risk? Because it I get a taste of it? All bets could possibly be off; hence the great sense of well being I experience while on it.
    Here's the thing, when I say cacao i mean bitter cacao, not hersheys or godiva. You have to remember that heating an enzyme deforms and degrades it permanently so any chocolate that has been already combined with sugar is, for our purposes at least, useless. I understand the cravings as it's been documented that the PEA in chocolate stimulates post synaptic neurons in proximity to the pleasure center, which can cause dopamine and serotonin release similar to taking opiates, though obviously not as strong. The cacao I am referring to will probably be nibs or in powder form, but either way it shouldn't be pre-sweetened, which should help you curb the cravings, though if you must(for a little cheat), you can use artificial sweeteners(even though I don't particularly like them) with cacao and some protein powder to make a pseudo chocolate drink if you mix them right.

Kashi cereal. Is there another cereal you recommend which might be a bit better? The one I get has 13grams of protein. And skim milk? interesting about the cravings....
    The study actually dealt with people on planes or traveling, in which case the fat from 1% decreased the insulin spike, thus creating a longer feeling of satiety, I really don't mind the Kashi as a cereal, but on the same hand I don't like cereals much since they are all processed to some extent.

Fruit: Before starting this log? I rarely ate it. So now that I am enjoying fruit I will add some mixed fruits to get more variety.

Yogurt. I am eating Chobani. I did start out with Fage and then found Chobani to be more available in stores so I tended to stay with it. And I only get plain Chobani. Sometimes in a blue moon I will get vanilla chobani for a chicken dish which only has a couple teaspoons on it.
    We don't have that brand where i am so i had to look it up, but it seems to be a very good line, I particularly like the diversity of active cultures, great choice!!

Personally I am a beer guy(microbrews almost exclusively, normally spiced and always unfiltered and unpasteurized), but if I drink wine it's normally a nice red(sangria especially, but it has to be homemade so I can control the sugar content and increase the fruit) or a dry white.

Fish Oil. Just this week learned about this and on my list to get. So thanks for reaffirming the importance of fish oil.

Amino Acid Supplementation. Is the Purple Wraath good for this or do I need something else too?Purple wraath is pretty good, it lacks L-glutamine, but that is cheap and you could easily add that in separately, i would personally, but aside from that fact it's a good supplement from the nutritional info i'm looking at.

Spirulina. I will get some of this too. Any particular thing I need to look for? how much? and how often? and what time of day?As i mentioned with Twist, it's good anytime, but I would add a little to your shakes to help mask it's flavor if you get it in powder form or just morning and midday if you get caps.

Raw Greens. Here is another BIG challenge. I know I need more greens. I need to find some greens I like. So few greens attract me. Yet another thing to overcome. Meantime, what about the MacroGreen and Miracle Red? Will this help at all?yes, those are great, but still not a substitute since most of the enzymes, phytos, flavonoids etc.. can be lost in the processing
    Lettuce is my major green at the moment. Sad but true. As a kid I sat at the table stirring my plate with a fork trying to make it look like I ate my greens....I did as well, but think of it this way, did you start off as a kid liking wine like you do now? I know I personally didn't like beer at all but now I thoroughly enjoy it's complexities and variances. If you keep trying different greens then eventually you will find something that works for you, in the meantime, CHEAT LOL, spirulina and chlorella are two of the best green in the world, so sneak them into your shakes and take them in cap form until you find some real raw veggies you like. As my dad always said about the gym, "you have to keep training till you like it, then keep training till you love it, that's the only way for most people."

Please try to understand this: Before starting my log? If you saw what I was eating? You would........well.............let me put it this way.....hmmmmmmm.....Words cannot describe.........

Bottom line: I need to make sure I choose good, better, best as opposed to bad, worse or horrible to keep up my momentum. I am still as raw as a raw green bean on this....

THANKS PHATE!

ps: When you mentioned it seems I prefer organics, could you elaborate on why this is so? I had no idea!
    I understand, as i've told a few people, around 9-10 years ago when I was 12-13, I was over 40%bf, 240lbs at 4'11, quite literally a walking sphere, with Sara Lee and Papa John as my only friends, and almost needed heart surgery as well as developed diabetes, i've been to hell and back transforming my body and continue to do so today, as i'm sure I will for the rest of my life. Everyone starts somewhere and there is noone that can't improve upon themselves, but doing so is a PITA. Luckily, the hardest step by far is the first and that is well behind you, the only way to move now is forward.
    SlimmerMe likes this.

WHEW PHATE! I need a cup of coffee to go over this plus make my dog sit still so I can concentrate!

THIS STUFF IS AMAZING! THANKS!
    Author Unknown

Adding fats such as olive oil, nuts, fish oil, flaxseed oil etc... can slow digestion SOUNDS GREAT and will get some fish oil asap since the pyloric sphincter between the stomach small intestines closes off when fats are present(i'll elaborate if anyone is interested), also adding fiber slows digestion as well, though not quite as much. As to which is better between casein and whey, they do different things and have different amino acid profiles, but the main difference is speed of digestion, casein takes 8-12 hours while whey takes only 40-50 minutes. If your goal is to lose bf YES THIS IS THE GOAL TO LOSE BF and not directed specifically to gaining muscle then a balanced protein containing fast, medium and slow digesting proteins would be best as that would keep a stable amino acid concentration in the blood which the body could use at any time(if you want help formulating one then i'm sure we can help with that as well) WOULD LOVE THIS RECIPE! Btw, i would check to make sure your protein contains whey isolate IT DOES: Amplified Wheybolic 60 ( hope okay since I like the vanilla one) and not whey concentrate, the main difference being the percentage of whey that each must contain, isolate being favored over concentrate since it has around 10% less room for filler if the old standards still apply(I've been out of this game for a couple years and just recently got back in so i'm still a bit rusty and need to refresh my knowledge on quite a few things).
    Lol at the finger's crossed, yes, fasted cardio should be done in an aerobic state(btw there is a great debate thread on this if you want me to post the link) so there won't be much post metabolic enhancement(the afterburn effect), CONFUSED...so the whey is fine after fasted cardio re: debate over this or the fasted cardio?[/B] And I have read so many threads here too about all of this fasted or not and all I can say is that I think fasted cardio helped me tremendously to get the loss I got..therefore anything after fasted cardio is fair game
    GOT 'CHA!

Whey has been shown to actually decrease levels of Neuropeptide Y36(NPY) if i remember correctly as well as a few other hunger inducers, so a shake in the morning is great, GREAT AND MUSIC TO MY EARS...especially after fasted cardio since your glycogen levels will be extremely low causing the brain to induce hunger, specifically sugar cravings.

Digestive, betaine, bromelain, papaya extract, protease, trypsinogen, etc... i've used super enzymes by NOW which are cheap and actually give me a bunch of energy, but anything that contains several good enzymes is fine. WILL ORDER SOME ENZYMES SOON...
    not bad at all, most of the time they are dried, but you can also soak them overnight in water and then use the berries for cooking and add the liquid to shakes, and everyday drinks for a huge antioxidant kick. They can be a bit expensive since they are finicky about their environment and are grown almost exclusively in the Himalayan mountains of Tibet.
    SOUNDS EXOTIC!

Here's the thing, when I say cacao i mean bitter cacao, not hersheys or godiva. You have to remember that heating an enzyme deforms and degrades it permanently so any chocolate that has been already combined with sugar is, for our purposes at least, useless. I understand the cravings as it's been documented that the PEA in chocolate stimulates post synaptic neurons in proximity to the pleasure center, which can cause dopamine and serotonin release similar to taking opiates, though obviously not as strong. The cacao I am referring to will probably be nibs or in powder form, but either way it shouldn't be pre-sweetened, which should help you curb the cravings, though if you must(for a little cheat), you can use artificial sweeteners(even though I don't particularly like them) with cacao and some protein powder to make a pseudo chocolate drink if you mix them right.
    WHEW! WHAT A RELIEF! So...what exactly do I get? and is this in the regular grocery store or somewhere else?

Kashi cereal. Is there another cereal you recommend which might be a bit better? The one I get has 13grams of protein . And skim milk? interesting about the cravings....
    The study actually dealt with people on planes or traveling, in which case the fat from 1% decreased the insulin spike, thus creating a longer feeling of satiety, I really don't mind the Kashi as a cereal, but on the same hand I don't like cereals much since they are all processed to some extent.
    If you don't mind, then I think pretty much fine~ thanks

We don't have that brand where i am so i had to look it up, but it seems to be a very good line, I particularly like the diversity of active cultures, great choice!! THANKS! I love the texture too. More creamy like whipped cream on top of my oat pancakes~

Personally I am a beer guy(microbrews almost exclusively, normally spiced and always unfiltered and unpasteurized), but if I drink wine it's normally a nice red(sangria especially, but it has to be homemade so I can control the sugar content and increase the fruit) or a dry white. A PREMIUM BEER GUY

Amino Acid Supplementation. Is the Purple Wraath good for this or do I need something else too?Purple wraath is pretty good, it lacks L-glutamine, but that is cheap and you could easily add that in separately, i would personally, but aside from that fact it's a good supplement from the nutritional info i'm looking at.
    SO I WILL ADD THE L-Glutamine and I am gtg?

Spirulina. I will get some of this too. Any particular thing I need to look for? how much? and how often? and what time of day?As i mentioned with Twist, it's good anytime, but I would add a little to your shakes to help mask it's flavor if you get it in powder form or just morning and midday if you get caps.
    [B]THINK I WILL DO CAPS! I remember doing this a long time ago and man o man....tasted yukky with horrible after taste but will sure give it a go now that I know the MAGIC POWER of it!

Raw Greens. Here is another BIG challenge. I know I need more greens. I need to find some greens I like. So few greens attract me. Yet another thing to overcome. Meantime, what about the MacroGreen and Miracle Red? Will this help at all?yes, those are great, but still not a substitute since most of the enzymes, phytos, flavonoids etc.. can be lost in the processing
    Lettuce is my major green at the moment. Sad but true. As a kid I sat at the table stirring my plate with a fork trying to make it look like I ate my greens....I did as well, but think of it this way, did you start off as a kid liking wine like you do now? I know I personally didn't like beer at all but now I thoroughly enjoy it's complexities and variances. If you keep trying different greens then eventually you will find something that works for you, in the meantime, CHEAT LOL, spirulina and chlorella are two of the best green in the world, so sneak them into your shakes and take them in cap form until you find some real raw veggies you like. As my dad always said about the gym, "you have to keep training till you like it, then keep training till you love it, that's the only way for most people."
    THEN SPIRULINA AND CHLORELLA IT IS TO GET GOING! THANKS! VERY SMART DAD OF YOURS!

THANKS PHATE!

I understand, as i've told a few people, around 9-10 years ago when I was 12-13, I was over 40%bf, 240lbs at 4'11, quite literally a walking sphere, with Sara Lee and Papa John as my only friends, and almost needed heart surgery as well as developed diabetes, i've been to hell and back transforming my body and continue to do so today, as i'm sure I will for the rest of my life. Everyone starts somewhere and there is noone that can't improve upon themselves, but doing so is a PITA. Luckily, the hardest step by far is the first and that is well behind you, the only way to move now is forward.
    NOT ONLY ARE YOU A FOOD WIZARD YOU ARE A PSYCHOLOGIST TOO! THANKS SO SO MUCH PHATE!
    Last edited by SlimmerMe; 08-14-2011 at 11:24 AM.
    Author Unknown

add the glutamine and you should be pretty well set for branched chained aminos, glutamine is one of the most important which is why I mentioned it, though Leucine is right up there as well(but it's in the purple wraath).

As far as getting cacao, you should be able to get cacao powder in the bakery section of your grocery store and cacao nibs in the whole foods section or at a whole foods store if you have one.

As far as formulating a protein recipe, that can take a little time, but when i'm done with my chores and cardio i'll work one up and put it in the thread for critique by GB, Twist, etc....The more the merrier as far as dieting critiques are concerned IMHO
    SlimmerMe likes this.

add the glutamine and you should be pretty well set for branched chained aminos, glutamine is one of the most important which is why I mentioned it, though Leucine is right up there as well(but it's in the purple wraath).

As far as getting cacao, you should be able to get cacao powder in the bakery section of your grocery store and cacao nibs in the whole foods section or at a whole foods store if you have one.

As far as formulating a protein recipe, that can take a little time, but when i'm done with my chores and cardio i'll work one up and put it in the thread for critique by GB, Twist, etc....The more the merrier as far as dieting critiques are concerned IMHO
    MAN you are fast! I was trying to re-edit as the site kept locking up on me AGAIN just as I was typing to make my bold red colors show up better!

REALLY AM EXCITED WITH ALL OF YOUR HELP PHATE!
    Author Unknown

not a problem, it's what I live for
    SlimmerMe likes this.

Shit I bought hersheys 100% cacao... That's all safeway had. Two big tubs lol. Now I gotta redo this.
    SlimmerMe likes this.

Cocoa and Cacao powders are essentially the same thing. We can split hairs over the (IMO) slight differences, but generally they're the same. That said, I use unsweetened natural cocoa powder in every one of my blended smoothie protein shakes.
    SlimmerMe likes this.

But phate said, " when I say cacao i mean bitter cacao, not hersheys or godiva. You have to remember that heating an enzyme deforms and degrades it permanently so any chocolate that has been already combined with sugar is, for our purposes at least, useless"
    So is yours heated or processed like he's talking about? This cacao is new to me.
    SlimmerMe likes this.

But phate said, " when I say cacao i mean bitter cacao, not hersheys or godiva. You have to remember that heating an enzyme deforms and degrades it permanently so any chocolate that has been already combined with sugar is, for our purposes at least, useless"
    So is yours heated or processed like he's talking about? This cacao is new to me.
    Mine is natural, unsweetened cocoa powder. Below is some info I dug up, but can't attest to it's accuracy:

Cacoa powder vs. Cocoa powder

Cocoa powder and cacao powder is the same.

What is considered "raw" cacao is suppose to be a cocoa powder that has been in a process that never exceeded 110 degrees Fahrenheit...which is already an almost impossible scenario, since cocoa beans are grown in the Equator, and you may exceed that temperature while drying in the patio under the sun covered with black linens (to heat it up and allow the fermentation of the bean)....and yes, you need to dry them, otherwise they will rotten in a few days, and the shell will be too difficult to peel off.

Back to cocoa powder....
    ALL cocoa powder comes from the cocoa bean, which without the shell is called cocoa nib (a.k.a. cacao nib). The first step is grinding of the nib (which again, when you grind something to such small particle size you will create a lot of friction with -that's right - heat!). That will give you the cocoa/cacao paste (a.k.a. cacao mass or liquor), which has about 50 to 56% fat (cocoa butter) in it...and ALL cocoa powders have to go through that stage.

Next stage is to take some of that butter away, which the raw community claims can be done through "cold pressing". For any that don't understand that term, cold pressing is done with oils like olive oil to preserve the oil almost intact by cooling the press plates while applying pressure (pressure generates heat, therefore it needs to be cooled). But here is a reminder, olive oil is liquid in room temperature, cocoa butter is SOLID, and it STARTS melting at about 100 degrees Fahrenheit ... so, you cannot control and cool it to a point where it will be still in a solid phase, because it cannot be pressed and "flow" out.

Last operation is to grind the solids left in the press, again - heat...and there is your cocoa powder or cacao powder... you tell me if you call it "raw", a term not defined by the FDA for cocoa, and that can be used by anyone just to sell the cocoa to a much higher price. Maybe that is why bigger, more serious companies don't have this product, since they do not want to be liable for false advertising...

Regarding "Raw" cocoa nibs or cocoa beans...yes, that is possible, and the only concern is the high bacteriological plate count... but how much you want to train your immune system is up to each individual. And yes, the less manipulated the cocoa, the more polyphenols and healthy chemicals you will obtain from it.

There is also a difference between alkalized or ducthed powders, and the natural ones (which do not contain any potassium carbonate), being the second ones the ones containing more of the healthy properties (antioxidants). But that is totally different than claiming a "raw" cocoa powder.

So, that is my explanation, and again, I respect anyone's opinion on what they want to eat or how they want to consume it. I just disagree with misleading the general public just to make juicy profits.
    SlimmerMe likes this.

Jeez SM, I just realized i'm hijacking your entire thread with this 'nutrition-geek' stuff. Say the word and i'll edit this, remove it and either start a new thread or repost in my own log. Don't want to bog yours down with a bunch of clutter.

wow! slim, your thread has been taken up a notch!!!!! i have some reading to do on this. can't wait to see what happens after you get this info soaked in. it seems that this will spark/ignite a new fire!

Shit I bought hersheys 100% cacao... That's all safeway had. Two big tubs lol. Now I gotta redo this.
    Lol, that's perfectly fine, I actually use hershey's brand as well sometimes, I was meaning a hershey's bar that has had sugar MELTED into it, that's where the degradation happens, but what you have is perfectly fine.
    SlimmerMe likes this.

oh my gawd SM... alot ta take in lady lol ...
    the chocolate (in any form) would be my killer~ hats off to you if you can do this/have the restraint...as a fellow choc addict, this would scared the h*ll outta me.
    Goji berries are good, i used to get the ones dipped in choc (lol, see...addict lol)
    the info and motovation from your thread is incredable..thank for sharing!
    SlimmerMe likes this.

Thread Information