Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree424Likes

Thread: *SlimmerMe's Progress Log*

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    You know you got my support Slim.. If i can do it so can you. I am interested to see what your TDEE is.. as you did not post it in your original post.

Subscribed and here to help and support if i can.
    SlimmerMe likes this.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    I agree with you Damien. I too want to do this well.

I am getting frustrated with the level of perfection expected right out of the gate. Had I had this down to perfection from the get go, I would have never started. You are talking to someone who needs to change a lot. And when I am told one slice of bread in 3 days and a glass of orange juice is not okay in 3 days this is very frustrating. And blueberries and Greek yogurt are only for a casual diet?

I thought I made it very clear up front that I am trying to change my lifestyle. I have horrible eating habits. They have gotten better in the past year but still atrocious compared to the level of how you guys eat. I have had to re-arrange my entire way of thinking to even embark upon this program. Different shopping. Different planning. Heck....I didn't even own a scale until late Thursday night when I realized I had to start this. So I went out late to the drugstore and got a scale.

All of us in life have challenges. This is mine at this particular point in my life. I plan to overcome it.

Quote Originally Posted by MACHINE5150 View Post
    You know you got my support Slim.. If i can do it so can you. I am interested to see what your TDEE is.. as you did not post it in your original post.

Subscribed and here to help and support if i can.
    Thank you Machine.

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Last edited by baseline_9; 04-04-2011 at 02:34 PM.

I can tell that you're starting to feel overwhelmed by the standards to which some people are expecting your diet to be, but please let me make one more suggestion.

Create a diet plan that lists out your total cals and macro splits for each day and write it down. You don't have to eat the same foods everyday (although it is easier for me this way) but you need to have a plan that you stick to. Losing 20lbs in 3 months is a specific goal and you need a specific plan to accomplish it.

If you don't, then you will tend to eat based on how you feel at the time, rather than what you need to eat at the time, in order to achieve your goal. Just come up with a plan that you can stick to for three months and then stick to it.

No one here is trying to be overly harsh, it's just that most of us have learned through our own failures what works and what doesn't, and we want to see you succeed with this.

Good Luck!
    SlimmerMe likes this.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    ^^ that's all I'm saying. Create a strict, ideal plan and try to follow the macros every day using the same or interchangeable foods. If you are feeling that failure is imminent, then add back the less nutrient-dense foods for sanity. Just at least be able to say you gave a real shot at a diet worthy of a steroid board, haha.

That said, I'm sorry if I'm unable to adapt to only moderate changes. As someone who made a drastic lifestyle change and never looked back a couple years ago, I know no other way. Note that I tried and failed many times to make moderate changes.

Anyway, whatever I post on your thread from this point will merely be supportive. Regardless of my opinion.
    SlimmerMe likes this.

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Slimmer, the best diet or exercise plan is one you will stick with, period! I've been a trainer in several areas for hundreds of people and I rarely recommend a 180 degree change for anyone. A 5 degree change today is doable for life and provides constant improvement and encouraging results. Don't get down on yourself or others here for our expectations of you. We all truly do want to help. I know you can make the changes necessary that you will stick with and truly want to be part of the process along the way.
    SlimmerMe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by baseline_9 View Post
    I can tell that dameon feels the same way as me...

You have come out and stated that you wanna loose 20 lbs in 3 months....

So asuming you wanna loose 20 lbs of fat and your already in half decent shape (this is a guess) that is a pretty big but not unrealistic goal IF you give 100% and make the changes that you need to....

Dont state your goal and then get pissed when we express our feelings towards your diet in relation to your goal...

As D says, Im sure you could try a little harder if you really wanted to achiev your goal
    Not kind IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman View Post
    I can tell that you're starting to feel overwhelmed by the standards to which some people are expecting your diet to be, but please let me make one more suggestion.

Create a diet plan that lists out your total cals and macro splits for each day and write it down. You don't have to eat the same foods everyday (although it is easier for me this way) but you need to have a plan that you stick to. Losing 20lbs in 3 months is a specific goal and you need a specific plan to accomplish it.

If you don't, then you will tend to eat based on how you feel at the time, rather than what you need to eat at the time, in order to achieve your goal. Just come up with a plan that you can stick to for three months and then stick to it.

No one here is trying to be overly harsh, it's just that most of us have learned through our own failures what works and what doesn't, and we want to see you succeed with this.

Good Luck!
    So do I, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Damienm05 View Post
    ^^ that's all I'm saying. Create a strict, ideal plan and try to follow the macros every day using the same or interchangeable foods. If you are feeling that failure is imminent then add back the less nutrient-dense foods for sanity. Just at least be able to say you gave a real shot at a diet worthy of a steroid board, haha.

That said, I'm sorry if I'm unable to adapt to only moderate changes. As someone who made a drastic lifestyle change and never looked back a couple years ago, I know no other way. Note that I tried and failed many times to make moderate changes.

Anyway, whatever I post on your thread from this point will merely be supportive. Regardless of my opinion.
    First Word in bold is not in my vocabulary....
    and...I have tried the extreme way before time and time again. I am finally trying moderate changes for once in my life so I stick to it. So we are coming at this from opposite directions.

I would love some input as to food choices here along the way. So eventually I replace better with BEST.

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    Slimmer, the best diet or exercise plan is one you will stick with, period! I've been a trainer in several areas for hundreds of people and I rarely recommend a 180 degree change for anyone. A 5 degree change today is doable for life and provides constant improvement and encouraging results. Don't get down on yourself or others here for our expectations of you. We all truly do want to help. I know you can make the changes necessary that you will stick with and truly want to be part of the process along the way.
    Thank you tbody, I appreciate hearing this~

The best foods in terms of protein: Most protein, lowest saturated fat content, no inherent carbs/fillers (Vegetarian meat substitutes for example).

The best foods in terms of carbs: All naturally occurring, lowest inherent sugar, most fiber, most protein usually indicates the best low GI carbs (beans, lentils, spelt, barley, quinoa, oats, sweet potato, and more -probably in that order).

The best fat sources: MCFA saturated via coconut, poly via walnuts/oil, mono via macadamia/olives/EVO/oil, and EFAs from fish and chia.

Obviously those are the best foods and you should simply incorporate them at your pace.
    SlimmerMe likes this.

To contrast - yogurt falls far from the criteria that makes good quality protein sources, bread falls far from the criteria for carbs, and bacon/cheese would fall far from the criteria for fats. Does that mean that you won't see results with just caloric restriction/dedication - not at all! Just gradually bring in the most nutrient-dense foods possible. Nut butters, cottage cheese, low GI fruits, multigrain breads/pastas - these are all good stepping stones that I would consider "intermediate" with the above list being "advanced"
    SlimmerMe likes this.

^^^ thanks. What I need from you guys is this:

Food choices as in Breakfast and Lunch and Dinner....

I thought greek yogurt from other posts with girlgymrat was a good choice with blueberries and now I am finding out not

I need a cereal or something quick to eat first thing and Greek yogurt, I was hoping was good

And a shake recipe: every where I look in the recipe forum, it seems the shake is full of bulk

I need VERY specific food choices which I will gladly eat which will be good for me too.....

DAY 4

Fasted Cardio: 25 minute fast walk

Post Cardio:
    Greek yogurt
    blueberries
    splenda

Meal:
    Oat Pancakes
    Blueberries
    2 Tablespoons Greek yogurt
    sugar free syrup
    6 oz OJ

Cardio #2: High Intensity 35 minute bike ride with 5 minute cool down

Post Cardio Shake:
    1 scoop whey
    3 heaping tablespoons Greek yogurt
    splenda
    ice, water

20 minute dog walk

25 Almonds

Meal
    Chicken
    Avocado very small
    cucumber
    4 oz Pinot Grigio
    Last edited by SlimmerMe; 04-04-2011 at 08:41 PM.

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by paulzane; 04-04-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: lounge talk edited

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    ^^ Mate this is not the lounge and thats not how we talk to female members on here, please edit it out...
    SlimmerMe likes this.
    Do not ask me for a source check.

Paulzane that is completly un-called for bro and not cool. Especially in the diet section...

How do you think the next female will feel about asking for help if she was to read a coment like that...
    SlimmerMe likes this.

Thank you both, Matt and Base.

From what all I have noticed, I am not PZ's type anyway.

RaginCajun is offline Pissing Excellence!
    slimmer, congrats on the lifestyle change. keep up the good work and you will not be disappointed. it is not easy to change over night, or in a few weeks. make the gradual changes now, and the harder ones will get easier later. trust me, it is not easy as i am finding out also, but the strides that you make now, will count for so much later on whenever you look back. i will keeping up with it. good luck
    SlimmerMe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    Thank you both, Matt and Base.

From what all I have noticed, I am not PZ's type anyway.
    LOL

I have to agree there... If this were in the lounge I would rip him here but its not so....
    SlimmerMe likes this.

paulzane is offline Productive Member
    Apologies to all ..... but especially to SlimmerMe.

I went in through "New Posts" and forgot I wasn't in the lounge.

AND it wasn't really lounge talk as well ...... so sorry again!!!
    SlimmerMe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 00ragincajun00 View Post
    slimmer, congrats on the lifestyle change. keep up the good work and you will not be disappointed. it is not easy to change over night, or in a few weeks. make the gradual changes now, and the harder ones will get easier later. trust me, it is not easy as i am finding out also, but the strides that you make now, will count for so much later on whenever you look back. i will keeping up with it. good luck
    Thank you OOrag~ Appreciate this.

Quote Originally Posted by paulzane View Post
    Apologies to all ..... but especially to SlimmerMe.

I went in through "New Posts" and forgot I wasn't in the lounge.

AND it wasn't really lounge talk as well ...... so sorry again!!!
    So out of the clear blue and not your character more than anything else~ thanks.

expecting big things, tell me about your weight training plans and ask for any help you'd like me to give.
    SlimmerMe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    expecting big things, tell me about your weight training plans and ask for any help you'd like me to give.
    i will....thanks!

DAY 4

Fasted Cardio: 25 minute fast walk

Post Cardio:
    Greek yogurt
    blueberries
    splenda

Meal:
    Oat Pancakes
    Blueberries
    2 Tablespoons Greek yogurt i would have a larger portion for sure, double that at least.
    sugar free syrup
    6 oz OJ I'd get this sugar from the additional protein/yogurt and have this first thing in the morning.
    What I see above is actually pretty decent, I made some corrections to meal 2. The goal is, even if you're being casual/gradual, to center the meals around protein and have only as much sugar/carbs as you need. So the second meal there has OJ, Blueberries, oats, and yogurt - 3 sources of energy. Ideally one plus a little fruit to start the day is all any effective diet should allow for. Post cardio, that is actually a nice meal provided you taper down sugar intake over the course of the day. Based on your history, you should really just cut sugar altogether to make your life easier in the long run but like I said - I'm here to help at your own pace.

Right now, more yogurt and oats early in the day (complex carbs/protein) and just enough fruit to keep you sane is best.

For Lunch, get some Ezekiel bread and toast it - spread with dijon and light mayo, slice some fresh tomatoes with salt and pepper, and throw on a nice warm grilled chicken breast. Close that baby up and enjoy a really nice sandwich. If you really wanna eat 100% for taste, get some reduced fat/sodium bacon and top the chicken with one slice. It won't add much in the way of calories but a lot in the way of taste.

For dinner, let's do a salad. Baby greens, toasted walnuts, chicken breast, a chopped apple (low GI fruit, only 60 calories or so - won't hurt) and a nice store-bought light dressing. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have good dressings - a sweet vidalia onion variety would be nice. Another option for dinner is going 100% pro/fat and doing a chicken breast with some roasted tomatoes and/or marinara and some fresh mozzarella/sharp parmesan cheeses broiled on top. Eat with a light greek/italian salad or a lot of veggies. Quite nice.
    SlimmerMe likes this.

Also, I know I'm beating a dead horse because all the boys are saying it but just a light weight training program will increase your metabolism drastically.

What I see above is actually pretty decent, I made some corrections to meal 2. The goal is, even if you're being casual/gradual, to center the meals around protein and have only as much sugar/carbs as you need. So the second meal there has OJ, Blueberries, oats, and yogurt - 3 sources of energy. Ideally one plus a little fruit to start the day is all any effective diet should allow for. Post cardio, that is actually a nice meal provided you taper down sugar intake over the course of the day. Based on your history, you should really just cut sugar altogether to make your life easier in the long run but like I said - I'm here to help at your own pace.

Right now, more yogurt and oats early in the day (complex carbs/protein) and just enough fruit to keep you sane is best.

For Lunch, get some Ezekiel bread and toast it - spread with dijon and light mayo, slice some fresh tomatoes with salt and pepper, and throw on a nice warm grilled chicken breast. Close that baby up and enjoy a really nice sandwich. If you really wanna eat 100% for taste, get some reduced fat/sodium bacon and top the chicken with one slice. It won't add much in the way of calories but a lot in the way of taste.

For dinner, let's do a salad. Baby greens, toasted walnuts, chicken breast, a chopped apple (low GI fruit, only 60 calories or so - won't hurt) and a nice store-bought light dressing. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have good dressings - a sweet vidalia onion variety would be nice. Another option for dinner is going 100% pro/fat and doing a chicken breast with some roasted tomatoes and/or marinara and some fresh mozzarella/sharp parmesan cheeses broiled on top. Eat with a light greek/italian salad or a lot of veggies. Quite nice.
    Thank you Damien. This is perfect and what I need to hear. Specifics. I appreciate it a lot.

Also, I know I'm beating a dead horse because all the boys are saying it but just a light weight training program will increase your metabolism drastically.
    I plan on this this week. It is coming. sooooooner than later......

question: with my oat pancakes....i already have 1/3 cup of cottage cheese so you still think add more yogurt? this would be great! but just wanted for you to know....

my pancakes:

1/3 cup oats
    1/3 cup cottage cheese 2%
    1/3 cup egg whites ( 2 eggs actually)
    splenda
    nutmeg
    drop of vanilla
    splash of non-fat milk...

question: with my oat pancakes....i already have 1/3 cup of cottage cheese so you still think add more yogurt? this would be great! but just wanted for you to know....

my pancakes:

1/3 cup oats
    1/3 cup cottage cheese 2%
    1/3 cup egg whites ( 2 eggs actually)
    splenda
    nutmeg
    drop of vanilla
    splash of non-fat milk...

Nope, no need to add more yogurt - that recipe looks pretty good on protein. I'd actually do the yogurt/berries in the batter ideally for taste. Are you tracking the macros for everything you're eating though? I mean, even if this is gradual, we still wanna know exactly what's going into your system every day so we know when/where/how to make adjustments accordingly. Once we establish a routine you like/are comfortable with, we should get it set in stone and that way we are prepared for what's to come when your caloric needs change.
    SlimmerMe likes this.

signal7 is offline New Member
    I just don't see how orange juice, bacon, and bread help keep one sane. I mean, there's plenty of no-cal delicious beverages out there - those calories could be used for more real, good, tasty food - that's sanity. Nutrient dense food = sanity. Especially on a lenient diet. No need to be hungry/crave things - eat more natural food and get creative.

The blueberries, yogurt and a daily PG glass are fine for a casual dieter but why not try to make a more drastic change? It's self-deprecating to think that just going from bad to average is all you're capable of. No dickishness intended, I think it's great what you're doing and would merely like to see you do it well.
    I agree totally with Damienm05 on that. Cut your food choices to what you would truly find in a "cutting" diet and after a week or two you are going to see amazing results as well as be use to what you are eating. The sooner you commit to it the sooner you'll be use to it. Once you get to the body fat% you are aiming for you can incorporate more of the foods with an "ok" nutritional value since you'll just be maintaining at that point as apposed to trying to lose body fat.

It would be my advise to change to 6 small meals a day instead of 3. Doing so will force your body to almost constantly be breaking down food during your waking hours which will 1) assist your body burning more calories when at rest and 2) give you a more constant supply of energy throughout your day.

Personally I'd recommend you substitute a whey protein or whey/casein mix shake for the yogurt post cardio in the morning for a couple reasons:

1 - You're doing your cardio fasted which I totally approve of as well do daily myself. You're gonna want to get some protein into your system as soon as you can. It's not as much of an immediate need as it is after lifting since the repair process is not nearly as extreme, but it is certainly more beneficial to get it in as soon as you can. Yogurt breaks down pretty quick, but it's hard to beat the quick absorption rate of concentrated whey protein. After fasted cardio your body is pretty much "running on empty" and the quicker you replenish it the better. Even though Greek yogurt has both whey and casein protein in it taking it in a concentrated shake form makes for faster absorption.

2 - Yogurt contains many beneficial enzymes that help break down the nutrients in food for better absorption by the body. If you are eating it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach there is basically nothing in the stomach to break down yet.

3 - Yogurt also contains lactic acid which greatly aids gastrointestinal peristalsis, which is the movement of the smooth muscle in the intestinal tract. You want to avoid eating yogurt when you have an empty stomach because the lactic acid bacteria in yogurt can be easily killed by gastric acid and that function of the yogurt would be weakened.

Reasons 2 and 3 are the reason I wait till the end of the day to eat 4oz of Non-fat Greek yogurt or cottage cheese with 1 scoop of casein protein an hour or two before going to sleep.

I also agree that the fruit and OJ need to go. Fruit and OJ contain a good amount of sugar, and while it's generally a healthier type of sugar it still puts a bigger strain on weight loss that most people think. Mayo is also straight out garbage in any amount. It's just bad fat calories like butter. If you need to add mayo to something in order for you to enjoy eating it then find something else that you can eat that doesn't need mayo. Lose those from your meal plan and you'll notice yourself losing body fat a good deal faster.

I love wine too, but alcohol is horrible when looking to lose weight or gain muscle due to how it dampens up to 70% ofthe body's natural production of HGH. We all know how great HGH is for fat loss, gaining muscle mass, and muscle repair. Here's a quick read about alcohol and it's effect on HGH: http://www.montclair.edu/psychservic...oholmuscle.pdf

Have you figured out what your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is? If so you should be consuming very close to that number of calories per day and use cardio and/or weight training to create the calorie deficiency needed to lose body fat. Consuming less calories than your BMR will only result in weight loss for a short period of time. Your body will realize you are feeding it less and lower your BMR to match it's intake since it's natural function is to "not die".

Be sure to drink plenty of water through out the day as well as it's both good for you and will keep you feeling "fuller" through out the day reducing the urge to cheat or consume unnecessary calories.

Best of luck
    Last edited by signal7; 04-04-2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: grammar
    SlimmerMe likes this.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    ^ ^ ^ Nice post!

Slimmer - I just got around to reading all that has transpired, and I understand both sides of the coin. Here's the issue:

You proposed a very ambitious goal, that quite frankly casual changes to your diet will not accomplish - not in the timeframe you want anyway. What am I saying? I'm saying that you should continue making the changes that you're comfortable with, because you need to do what WORKS and what you'll stick with, that's absolutely most important IMO. If making drastic changes causes you to fail, don't do it.

Having said that, you should try and come to terms with the idea that you MAY not reach your goal. That doesn't matter though... so long as you're making progress, that's the important thing here. So it takes you 6 months instead of 3.... keep up the slow and steady and think of the great shape you be in by NEXT summer.

I hope i'm not out of line, I just want you to have my honest opinion on all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    ^ ^ ^ Nice post!
    It was a truly excellent post.

Thank you Signal7 for your long informative posts. I will re-read in a bit.

And gbrice....so you are suggesting I lower my goal?

what on earth is wrong with?

Greek Yogurt
    Oats
    Egg whites
    Tuna
    2% Cottage Cheese
    Chicken
    cucumbers
    Blueberries
    Whey

Thank you Signal7 for your long informative posts. I will re-read in a bit.

And gbrice....so you are suggesting I lower my goal?

Greek Yogurt
    Oats
    Egg whites
    Tuna
    2% Cottage Cheese
    Chicken
    cucumbers
    Blueberries
    Whey
    There is nothing wrong with those foods - they are all very healthy. We aren't looking for merely healthy when the goals are ambitious and relate to a specific physique in mind, we want correct. Plenty of people get fat or simply don't look good eating healthy but most of us here eat correctly based on our goal. Truth be told, the above foods you've posted are pretty good for any diet, I think it's the fruit juice and the bacon/bread on day two that caused some concern.

Regardless, you're doing well but yeah, 20 lbs. of fat is a lot and it requires optimized fat burning via manipulating muscle glycogen stores, removing all non-nutrient dense foods, and such. Let's take the greek yogurt for example - it's very healthy but the same amount of protein can be found in many other foods without the sugar. Same with cottage cheese. The blueberries, they're super healthy but they are sugar and a diet with sugar isn't optimal for targeting fat. Plenty of supplements, extracts, herbal teas that will give you the same antioxidant boost without the sugar - hell blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries are all fiber/water - no sugar. Still, I think some blueberries in the AM is fine with the yogurt even if we are being hardcore - it's simply the meals to follow that will have to be super clean/correct.

Like I said, I think you and I found a nice happy medium earlier - just trying to clarify a bit.

Edit: Most of all, just tracking your macros based on TDEE! That is a must. Also having a specific meal plan laid out in advance. Keep up the good work though - nothing wrong with the way you're eating.
    SlimmerMe likes this.

vishus is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Slimmer, good luck to you! i dont have much time to read the boards throughout the day b/c of school but will def check in on this one, good read. good luck
    SlimmerMe likes this.

There is nothing wrong with those foods - they are all very healthy. We aren't looking for merely healthy when the goals are ambitious and relate to a specific physique in mind, we want correct. Plenty of people get fat or simply don't look good eating healthy but most of us here eat correctly based on our goal. Truth be told, the above foods you've posted are pretty good for any diet, I think it's the fruit juice and the bacon/bread on day two that caused some concern.

Regardless, you're doing well but yeah, 20 lbs. of fat is a lot and it requires optimized fat burning via manipulating muscle glycogen stores, removing all non-nutrient dense foods, and such. Let's take the greek yogurt for example - it's very healthy but the same amount of protein can be found in many other foods without the sugar. Same with cottage cheese. The blueberries, they're super healthy but they are sugar and a diet with sugar isn't optimal for targeting fat. Plenty of supplements, extracts, herbal teas that will give you the same antioxidant boost without the sugar - hell blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries are all fiber/water - no sugar. Still, I think some blueberries in the AM is fine with the yogurt even if we are being hardcore - it's simply the meals to follow that will have to be super clean/correct.

Like I said, I think you and I found a nice happy medium earlier - just trying to clarify a bit.

Edit: Most of all, just tracking your macros based on TDEE! That is a must. Also having a specific meal plan laid out in advance. Keep up the good work though - nothing wrong with the way you're eating.
    I will get to the macros.....that will come. And I do need to have a plan which is why I am here trying to continue to get ideas like your chicken sandwich which I will do and like since I did not think I was to eat any bread even if Ezekiel....so this is good to hear things like this.....specific ideas so I start to fill up my day with the RIGHT food which I will eat and still shed the pounds.

Thanks Damien

Quote Originally Posted by vishus View Post
    Slimmer, good luck to you! i dont have much time to read the boards throughout the day b/c of school but will def check in on this one, good read. good luck
    Thansk Vishus

Greek Yogurt
    Oats
    Egg whites
    Tuna
    2% Cottage Cheese
    Chicken
    cucumbers
    Blueberries
    Whey
    Greek Yogurt - Great for it's protein count, but the amount of sugar in it makes it less than optimal as a main protein source. Chicken, turkey, most fish, and lean red meats give you more protein per serving without the sugar. Still good for a meal plan, just best when used in a small amount once or twice a day.

Oats - Great source of carbs! Comes with a touch of protein, no sugar, and barely any fat which makes this a keeper in almost any meal plan. Too many carbs in a meal plan will restrict weight loss though. Excess carbs get turned to simple sugars as they break down and are then stored as fat. Great in moderation though.

Egg whites
    - Great protein source and gives the needed Omega fats needed in a diet. Like anything though moderation is the key. Large amounts of Omega 3,6,and 9 where shown to cause and or increase acne in a study done by the University of Maryland Medical Center.

Tuna - Another great protein source! Other than often having a high sodium content tuna's only real downfall is what people tend to mix with it (mayo) prior to consumption.

2% Cottage Cheese
    - Tends to have more sodium than Greek Yogurt and slightly less protein, but offers a tad of healthy fat grams to a meal plan

Cuccumbers
    - Good for some fiber and vitamins A&C, but they don't carry a ton of nutritional value other than that. Very low calories per serving and practically no fat or sodium. IMHO you'd be hard pressed to eat a good amount of these by themselves and put much of a dent, good or bad, in a meal plan.

Blueberries - Great for flavor and anti-oxidants, but better sources can be found without the large amount of sugar

Whey
    - Nothing wrong with it, but needs to be used in addition to solid forms of protein like chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, and lean red meat rather than as a substitute for it. Many of the low sugar whey and casein proteins can be used to add some enjoyable flavor to yogurt, cottage cheese, oatmeal, etc. Helps cut down on the need for artificial sweeteners.

As with anything the key is moderation. The right amounts of each taken in the right increments throughout the day really makes it all come together. It's just a matter of figuring out what's gonna work for you.
    SlimmerMe likes this.

^^^ THANK YOU AGAIN SIGNAL! You are very kind to take all of this time to do this. I appreciate it. Really do.
    And I will keep re-reading what all you have written.

questions: re shakes

are there any gluten free whey powders anyone might suggest? May as well be gluten free while I am at it

if I put an egg in a shake after morning fasted cardio, should I do this? and if so, the whole egg? or egg white? and is this okay to eat without being cooked?

Does anyone have any post cardio shakes they love to make..... a shake for BF loss.....

thanks in advance....

bjpennnn is offline American Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by stevey_6t9 View Post
    goodluck slimm i'm sure you will achieve your goals, however...

This made me LOL. GO LAKERS! Slimmer I will be following this as well. Seems like you have a lot of support from people who know what they are talking about. Good luck!
    SlimmerMe likes this.

questions: re shakes

are there any gluten free whey powders anyone might suggest? May as well be gluten free while I am at it

if I put an egg in a shake after morning fasted cardio, should I do this? and if so, the whole egg? or egg white? and is this okay to eat without being cooked?

Does anyone have any post cardio shakes they love to make..... a shake for BF loss.....

thanks in advance....
    Are you gluten intolerant? If not then there really is no need to cut gluten from a good meal plan as you'll not be taking in an obscene amount of it anyway. Just the same though, PURE WHEY PROTEIN will contain no gluten and is entirely safe on a gluten-free diet. Occasionally, however, industrial processing may involve cross-contamination (the same machines that package whey protein may package wheat flour). If you have a gluten allergy, check the label and make sure it says "gluten free."

I'm not a fan of raw eggs personally since it only takes a couple minutes to cook them safely for consumption and eliminates the risk of salmonella poisoning. You should be getting enough protein from the shake post cardio that you don't need to add an egg. If your after the Omega 3,6,9 you can get just as good a dose from a flax seed or fish oil supplement. I'd save the eggs for consuming later during a mid-morning or pre-workout meal.

My post cardio shake is pretty simple as it's only 20oz of Smartwater, 2 scoops of Whey Protein, and 1/2 a cup of raw oats (I chop them down to almost a powder in my food processor in advance to make the shake less clumpy). I usually take my multi-vitamins and Omega supplements with the shake as well. I have my first "actual meal" of the day about an hour and a half later so I keep my post cardio shake light so I'm only giving my body enough food to refuel from the cardio strain. Too many calories post cardio gives me that "full/lazy" feeling.

My opinion is keep your shakes simple. The point of a post cardio or workout shake is to get a fast boost of protein to the muscles worked/damaged, it doesn't need to contain every vitamin and nutrient the body needs. Focus more on getting those in the solid foods you will be taking in. The less ingredients you require for you shake the less stuff you have to carry with you to the gym, the park, the pool etc.
    SlimmerMe likes this.

Great stuff, signal sure seems like a nice addition to the boards and specifically the diet section, so "Welcome". Slimmer, where's that workout plan?
    SlimmerMe likes this.

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread Information