Thread: Diet review

Clarkdog is offline New Member

Diet review

New to the board and I have to say I love it. I can't believe all the information that is listed here. With that being said I have finally decided it is time to cut some fat and enjoy the beach without a shirt on. If someone could please review my current diet and let me know if changes need to be made.

Stats
    bf about 15%
    218 lbs

445 AM
    Protein shake 27/2/2 130
    1/2 cup oats 5/27/3 150

Workout 45-60 min weights
    run 60 min I can't do cardio at any other time due to work/kids/wife

730 AM
    Protein Shake 54/4/4 260
    1/2 cup oats 5/27/3

930 AM
    2.6 oz tuna 18/1/.5 80
    1/2 cup rice 2.5/20/1.75 115

12 PM
    6oz Chicken 37.5/0/2.25 165
    1 cup brocholli (sorry forgot to get stats)

3PM
    2.6 oz tuna 18/1/.5 80

5PM
    6oz chicken 37.5/0/2.25 165
    1 cup rice 5/40/3.5 230

7PM
    Protein shake 27/2/2 130

9PM
    Protein Shake 27/2/2 130

I snack on celery and cucumbers during the day if I get hungry.

total w/o broccolli 266/146/33 1900

My goal is to trim alot of body fat around the midsection if possible. Again any and all help is greatly apprecitated.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkdog View Post
    New to the board and I have to say I love it. I can't believe all the information that is listed here. With that being said I have finally decided it is time to cut some fat and enjoy the beach without a shirt on. If someone could please review my current diet and let me know if changes need to be made.

Stats
    bf about 15%
    218 lbs

445 AM
    Protein shake 27/2/2 130
    1/2 cup oats 5/27/3 150 Good. I know it's hard to eat real food/cook at 4:00 AM but eggs would be better or any meat/fish with a slower absorption rate than whey. A protein blend or a mix of whey/casein is another option.

730 AM
    Protein Shake 54/4/4 260
    1/2 cup oats 5/27/3 Good

930 AM
    2.6 oz tuna 18/1/.5 80
    1/2 cup rice 2.5/20/1.75 115 For cutting, rice needs to be brown - lower GI. Gotta keep insulin spikes out of the equation to optimize fat burning.

12 PM
    1 cup brocholli (sorry forgot to get stats) Broccoli is calorie neutral really - just fiber/water - no worries. I'd add a healthy fat source for 10-15g to spare protein/provide energy. No need for carbs if you're not active here but an energy source (fat) is required as protein-only meals are very inefficient. Example: 2 tsp of EVOO on the veggies or 18 almond kernels.

3PM
    2.6 oz tuna 18/1/.5 80
    1/2 cup rice 2.5/20/1.75 115 Again, brown rice. Or sweet potato, oats, lentils, quinoa, whatever - a non-processed complex carb.

5PM
    1 cup rice 5/40/3.5 230 I'd cut the portion in half - once again, complex carbs.

7PM
    Protein shake 27/2/2 130 Replace with lean meat/fish with veggies and 10g healthy fat. Example: 6 oz. chicken breast with 2 cups packed baby spinach and 2 tsp EVOO.

9PM
    Protein Shake 27/2/2 130 Replace with slow-digesting protein/fat meal. Examples of proteins with slow absorption rates that will nourish throughout the night while you can't eat meals include: lean ground beef/bison/lean steaks, cottage cheese, casein powder. Example: 4 oz. flank steak, 6 fish oil capsules 23/0/15/240

I snack on celery and cucumbers during the day if I get hungry.

total w/o broccolli 266/146/33 1900

My goal is to trim alot of body fat around the midsection if possible. Again any and all help is greatly apprecitated.

Bold. Midsection fat is the last to go. Can't spot-reduce. The last of it will be gone at ~12% body fat when a somewhat-defined 6-pack is usually achieved. You must simply stick to the diet above for 8-12 weeks without cheating and it will happen. Nothing revolutionary, just science.

I made changes to structure/food choices that I do feel are a must at this point. Brought calories up in the process by about 200 because they're definitely too low currently for your stats/goals. If you know your TDEE, that would help.

Thanks Damien for help. My TDEE is 2975.63 and I always eat brown rice w/those meals. I will make the changes that you suggested and keep you up to date on how it's going. My goal is to lean up enough that i'm not embarressed to take my shirt off at the community pool this summer. Sadly it took me 42 years to figure out that a round belly isn't attractive lol.

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Cool. Yeah, even if your TDEE is lower than what you've stated above, you should be eating at least 2200 calories. You're already creating an additional deficit with cardio.

SlimJoe is offline Banned
    Copy gbrice diet or take things out of it sure he wouldn't mind he is the guy for diets

One more question in regards to the above diet. On the weekends I like to sleep in w/the family so the 4:45 am meal and maybe even the 7am meal may not happen so my question is how do I go about making up those meals?

Damien,

I've made the changes you suggested but I'm having a really hard time eating meals at 7 and 9 instead of the whey and casein shakes. I know you said you felt these changes needed to be made immediately but how much harm am I doing to my diet if I just did the shakes? If it's a must I'll force myself to eat the meals but if you feel it's not that bad I think i'd rather go w/the smaller amount of food later in the evening. I've noticed a significant loss in the last two weeks and I'm ready for the next 10..results sure are a great motivator.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Damien has given you solid advice bro, try and follow all of his suggestions.

Alot of people have a tough time eating in the morning; try and stick with it, push through the discomfort (not to the point of vomiting though) and your body will adjust in a couple of weeks.

Thanks gbrice I'll continue to eat how he says and i'll give you an update in about a week. Thanks again for the help it is greatly appreciated.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Welcome aboard.

As a whole, I don't see much wrong with this diet.

Kudos for 1.) putting some time (and thought) into creating a diet, 2.) putting it out there for critique.

That being said:

Noted.

Stats
    bf about 15%
    218 lbs
    'about 15%'? I'd suggest getting that tested and verified.

445 AM
    Protein shake 27/2/2 130
    1/2 cup oats 5/27/3 150
    I don't see any issue here... at all. It is 4:45 a.m. ...*and* it is a pre-workout meal after all. Exercising *will* blunt gastric emptying... *and* a more solid meal may affect hydration.

Stick with this meal.

Heck, if it were me, I'd ditch the oats and have 1 cup of frozen/mixed berries (or an equivalent serving of unsweetened apple sauce) instead.

730 AM
    Protein Shake 54/4/4 260
    1/2 cup oats 5/27/3
    No need to double up the protein here.

930 AM
    2.6 oz tuna 18/1/.5 80
    I'd add 3-5gr supplemental fats here.

12 PM
    1 cup brocholli (sorry forgot to get stats)

3PM
    2.6 oz tuna 18/1/.5 80
    Move the carbs in the 3p.m. meal to 12 p.m... as insulin sensitivity will be higher then.

Move the broccoli to the 3 p.m. meal instead.

Add 2-3 gr supplemental fat to each meal.

5PM
    1 cup rice 5/40/3.5 230
    Ditch the rice here. Swap it for vegetables.

add 2-3 gr supplemental fiber here.

7PM
    Protein shake 27/2/2 130
    ^^Unless this is a meal of convenience, swap for fish/meat. Isn't a requirement however.

Add a supplemental fat or 1oz walnuts/almonds here.

9PM
    Protein Shake 27/2/2 130
    ^^Add a supplemental fat or 1oz walnuts/almonds here.

Add 5-10gr supplemental fiber as well.

Increased fat storage in the lower stomach and lower back usually denotes impaired glucose tolerance... so bumping insulin sensitivity will bring you closer to your goal.

Regards,
    -Corey "Narkissos" Springer

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Apollo Fitness Barbados etc
    Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4
    Nark is like intel, Brilliant inside and awsome outside :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    Every(intelligent)thing works (once aptly and consistently applied)
    It really is that simple.
    This is the perpetual bodybuilding paradigm
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

Hello Narkissos
    Thanks for the input any and all help is apprecitated. I'll implement your changes and see if I notice any kind of difference and check back with you in about a week and let you know if how things are going. Thanks again.

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    Np.

All the best.
    -Corey "Narkissos" Springer

Published Author.
    Owner of :
    Apollo Fitness Barbados etc
    Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by texasmk4
    Nark is like intel, Brilliant inside and awsome outside :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Here's a little-known-secret, that most people won't tell you: In the sphere of fitness, everything works.
    Every(intelligent)thing works (once aptly and consistently applied)
    It really is that simple.
    This is the perpetual bodybuilding paradigm
    **No Source Checks**
    Contact Me

Thread Information