Thread: How is my diet?

J. Cole is offline Associate Member

How is my diet?

** Updated Diet **

Hey Everyone,

So here is my updated post based on your suggestions and other questions you have asked of me...

Stats:
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200lb
    BF: 13-14%
    Cycle History: None
    Years Training: 4ish years of serious training

Goals:
    My goal is to maintain lean muscle mass while lowering body fat as much as possible for my cycle coming up

Upcoming Cycle:
    12 week testosterone cypionate cycle dosed at 400mg a week
    PCT consists of 4-6 weeks of tamox and torem

Diet:---------------------Food---------------------------------------------Calories-------Carbs-----Fat-------Protein
    Meal 1: Whey Protein Shake w/ banana and tsp of peanut butter-------389------------24g------17g--------56g
    Meal 2: 6 Eggs (Only two yokes) with 1/2 original plain oatmeal--------610------------25g------30g--------49g (Values calculated assuming 6 yokes used)
    Meal 3: 1/2 lb grilled chicken breast with 1/2 cup brown rice------------330------------40g-------2g---------42g
    Meal 4: 1/2 oatmeal and isopure protein drink---------------------------100-------------34g-------2g---------44g
    Meal 5 1 lb grilled chicken breast, 1/2 cup brown rice, broccoli---------504------------45g-------1.5g--------78g (Excluding broccoli's values)
    Meal 6: Whey Protein Shake w/ banana and tsp of peanut butter-------389------------24g-------17g--------56g

Totals:----------------------------------------------------------------------2322-----------192g------69.5g-----325g

Some side notes: I eat fruit throughout the day, excluded skim milk's values in the oatmeal, and sometimes throw in a seventh meal. Also, these numbers either came from internet sources or sides of the actual product so they may be a little off in some area. I am no nutritionist or math wiz, so there is a good chance my calculations are not 100% correct.

Let me know what you guys think. I am aware that I still need improvements, but I believe I am making some serious progress. This is my self-evaluation of what I think I need: more calories and more protein? Let me know if you guys agree and if so can you give me some tips to achieve those goals.

THANK ALOT GUYS!
    Last edited by J. Cole; 04-28-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Updated Diet

Nephets is offline Senior Member
    Your going to have to post the total protien fat carbs and calories for each meal. At first glance, I would get rid of the milk and replace the cherios with oats for breakfast. Also find a better complex carb to replace the bread like a sweet potato. Your 8 pm meal should be a protien fat meal. No carbs that late at night, and again, get rid of the milk.
    Last edited by Nephets; 04-07-2011 at 08:11 AM.

kelevra is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Cole View Post
    Hey everyone,

I am going to be cycling for the first time this summer, and I am trying to be even more strict on my diet leading up to it. I am currently standing at 6'1" 200 pounds with about a 14% bf. I am looking to minimize body fat while keeping my muscle.so your cutting? or are you wanting to gain muscle while minimizing fat? My daily diet is as follows.

1. 9AM: Multi-Grain Cheerios with banana and skim milk cheerios aren't a big deal, but you have little pro here, add a cup of egg whites to the cup of milk, & 1 scoop pro powder for flavor
    2. 10AM: 6 eggs (3 yokes) with a piece of whole wheat toastneed about 8 whites with 2 yolks
    3. 12PM: 1/2 lb of turkey breast with a slice of lowfat american cheese sometimes with or without whole wheat bread
    4. 2PM 1 Cup of oatmeal with skim milk no pro again, milk cant count for that much as you cant drink a gallon at a time. that would be to much sugar
    5. 5PM 5 pieces of grilled chicken with brown rice and a veggie of some sort (usually brocculi) best dish you have had6. 8PM 1 cup of oatmeal with skim milkprob no need for carbs this late if you want to stay leaner, try pro only with good fats
    7. 11PM Protein Shake (40g Protein) add liquid egg whites

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Im more concerned with whether I have too many carbs in my diet maybe/ if I am getting enough protein. no

Thanks guys
    I am certainly no diet guru, but I’ll try to help until someone like Gbrice appears. You weren’t real clear on goals, but the base info is the same. You can just make adjustments. Add some liquid egg whites and quality sources of pro to the diet. If you are trying to stay leaner, you can separate some fats and carbs. Carbs with pro in the AM and healthy fats and pro in the PM.
    Just for a reference point. Start with about 350 grams of pro 200 grams carbs, & 70 grams quality fats. You can then adjust from there. Adding a few pro & cutting a few carbs if you are getting fatter etc etc

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    As far as your daily calorie requirments...

Using this that I wrote out... http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...-**&highlight=

Your looking at:

cals 2550
    protein 255
    carbs 255
    fats 57

I cannot do the full diet critique thing right now but you do need to go away and come back with a few changes...

A good protein source in each meal...

Carbs scheduled around training...

Some good EFA's...

Read around this section a bit and see how other critiques have gone....
    Don't be a 'Bro'..... Believe nothing....Question everything

Baseline - Working to phase out this generation of Bro-Scientists

Stop over thinking nutrition - If you want something to think about download Myfitnesspal and learn how to count macros

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    bold

Hey everyone,

I am going to be cycling for the first time this summer, and I am trying to be even more strict on my diet leading up to it. I am currently standing at 6'1" 200 pounds with about a 14% bf. I am looking to minimize body fat while keeping my muscle. My daily diet is as follows.

So you're going to run a cutting cycle? btw, how old are you?

1. 9AM: Multi-Grain Cheerios with banana and skim milk

Useless meal, absolutely no gains here. Replace with something of substance - a whole egg or 2, some whites, cup of oats w/ berries, a protein shake, etc. You need to make better food choices than this bro

2. 10AM: 6 eggs (3 yokes) with a piece of whole wheat toast

Eggs are good (careful of too much fat in a single sitting) - replace toast with oats or some other unprocessed/minimally processed carb source

3. 12PM: 1/2 lb of turkey breast with a slice of lowfat american cheese sometimes with or without whole wheat bread

Something tells me this is cold cut turkey breast - if so, it's another bad choice. This stuff is usually highly processed, full of sodium, preservatives (nitrates, etc). Replace with a better source - chicken breast, fish, lean beef, etc. Replace bread with a better carb source (like above) - sweet potato, brown rice, quinoa, lentils, beans, oats, etc

4. 2PM 1 Cup of oatmeal with skim milk

What's the point of this meal? You have no protein here other than the milk which isn't the greatest source to begin with. This is essentially a carb only meal. Not going to do much for you in the way of gains

5. 5PM 5 pieces of grilled chicken with brown rice and a veggie of some sort (usually brocculi)

Food choices are good here, but '5 pieces' doesn't tell us how much. All of your meals should be looking alot more like this one

6. 8PM 1 cup of oatmeal with skim milk

Another useless meal, devoid of protein for the most part. That's alot of oats too - is this a PWO meal? When do you train?

7. 11PM Protein Shake (40g Protein)

What kind of protein?

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Im more concerned with whether I have too many carbs in my diet / if I am getting enough protein.

Thanks guys
    We wouldn't know if you have too many carbs because you haven't listed macros for your meals. Firstly, to be honest, your diet is pretty terrible. Take a look below at one of my diets just as an idea of something more clean and balanced. I'm not suggesting you copy it as we most likely have different nutritional needs, but hopefully it'll give you some ideas. Also, note the layout - this is how we want to see your diet layed out next time.

GB's Current Diet:

PROTEIN/CARBS/FAT/TOTAL CALORIES

MEAL 1 - PRE-WORKOUT
    4:30am

Premier protein shake - 30/5/3/160
    1 cup oats - 10/52/5/280
    1 Extra Large Whole Egg - 7/0/5/90
    1/2 cup liquid egg whites - 12/2/0/60
    1/2 cup blueberries - 0/10/0/40

TOTALS: 60/70/12.5/620

5:30am - WORKOUT, followed by 1 hour cardio

MEAL 2 - POST WORKOUT
    7:30am

1 cup oats - 10/52/5/280
    2 scoops Myofusion - 50/10/6/315

TOTAL: 60/60/11/600

MEAL 3
    10:00am

6oz Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast - 36/0/2.5/165
    7oz Sweet Potato - 3/35/0/150
    1 Cup Green Beans - 1/4/0/20

TOTALS: 40/40/2/350

MEAL 4
    1:00pm

4oz 95/5 Lean Ground Beef - 35/0/7/200
    1/2 cup (a little over) Brown Rice - 5/40/1/180
    1/4 cup tomato sauce - 0/3/0/12
    2 cups baby spinach - 2/2/0/15

TOTALS: 40/45/8/415

MEAL 5
    4:00pm

3/4 cup 1% Milk Fat Cottage Cheese, No Sodium Added: 20/7.5/2.5/135
    1 scoop ON 100% Casein - 24/3/1/120
    2tbsp PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter - 4/6/1/50

TOTALS: 50/15/4/300

MEAL 6
    7:00pm

6oz Broiled Tilapia - 35/0/3/165
    1 cup broccoli - 3/6/0/30
    1tsp EVOO - 0/0/5/45

TOTALS: 40/6/8/235

MEAL 7
    10:00pm

1 cup 1% Milk Fat Cottage Cheese, No Sodium Added: 26/10/3/180

TOTALS: 26/10/3/180 (could add more fats here but happy with totals as is)

DAILY TOTALS: 315/250/50/2700

46% protein, 37% carbs, 17% fat

wow alright I have a lot of work to do!

For the unanswered questions:

I am 26 years old.
    Just looking to lower bf before I cycle this summer, so I guess you can call it cutting.
    I have been training at 10PM 4 days a week
    and yes cold cut turkey im afraid
    Whey Protein after my workout at 11PM

As far as the oatmeal twice a day, should i be keeping the oatmeal, and just throw a quality protein in with it such as a protein shake?
    For breakfast would just drinking a protein shake with the cheerios and banana be good?

I will definitely continue to work on my diet i know it is far from perfect and I am more than open to all your suggestions thanks guys.

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    fix the diet, post the workout and express the specific goals. Also, age and what cycle are you planning exactly?

and are the five pieces of chicken legs? That would make a difference.

Nephets is offline Senior Member
    I would eat the oatmeal as your first meal and before your workout. Try to get your protein from real food. So make eggs for breakfast.

bump

bump
    We are waiting on you to post your diet for us to critique.

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    We are waiting on you to post your diet for us to critique.
    i updated the original post above but here it is...

** Updated Diet **

Hey Everyone,

So here is my updated post based on your suggestions and other questions you have asked of me...

Stats:
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 200lb
    BF: 13-14%
    Cycle History: None
    Years Training: 4ish years of serious training

Goals:
    My goal is to maintain lean muscle mass while lowering body fat as much as possible for my cycle coming up

Upcoming Cycle:
    12 week testosterone cypionate cycle dosed at 400mg a week
    PCT consists of 4-6 weeks of tamox and torem

Diet:---------------------Food---------------------------------------------Calories-------Carbs-----Fat-------Protein
    Meal 1: Whey Protein Shake w/ banana and tsp of peanut butter-------389------------24g------17g--------56g
    Meal 2: 6 Eggs (Only two yokes) with 1/2 original plain oatmeal--------610------------25g------30g--------49g (Values calculated assuming 6 yokes used)
    Meal 3: 1/2 lb grilled chicken breast with 1/2 cup brown rice------------330------------40g-------2g---------42g
    Meal 4: 1/2 oatmeal and isopure protein drink---------------------------100-------------34g-------2g---------44g
    Meal 5 1 lb grilled chicken breast, 1/2 cup brown rice, broccoli---------504------------45g-------1.5g--------78g (Excluding broccoli's values)
    Meal 6: Whey Protein Shake w/ banana and tsp of peanut butter-------389------------24g-------17g--------56g

Totals:----------------------------------------------------------------------2322-----------192g------69.5g-----325g

Some side notes: I eat fruit throughout the day, excluded skim milk's values in the oatmeal, and sometimes throw in a seventh meal. Also, these numbers either came from internet sources or sides of the actual product so they may be a little off in some area. I am no nutritionist or math wiz, so there is a good chance my calculations are not 100% correct.

Let me know what you guys think. I am aware that I still need improvements, but I believe I am making some serious progress. This is my self-evaluation of what I think I need: more calories and more protein? Let me know if you guys agree and if so can you give me some tips to achieve those goals.

THANK ALOT GUYS!

bump again?

Diet:---------------------Food-----------------------------Calories-------Carbs-----Fat-------Protein
    Meal 1: Whey Protein Shake w/ banana and tsp of peanut butter-------389------------24g------17g--------56gIf this is preworkout drop the banana add oatmeal, otherwise it should be what you eat meal 2
    Meal 4: 1/2 oatmeal and isopure protein drink---------------------------100-------------34g-------2g---------44gWhy isn't this real food? If it's post workout okay, otherwise should look like meal 3
    Meal 6: Whey Protein Shake w/ banana and tsp of peanut butter-------389------------24g-------17g--------56gScratch this and make it lean red meat with sweet potatoe and cottage cheese or avocado for the fat source

Above in Bold, hope it helps, you don't need the simple sugars to maintain lean body mass, and you need real food as much as possible.

Tlee8769 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephets View Post
    Your going to have to post the total protien fat carbs and calories for each meal. At first glance, I would get rid of the milk and replace the cherios with oats for breakfast. Also find a better complex carb to replace the bread like a sweet potato. Your 8 pm meal should be a protien fat meal. No carbs that late at night, and again, get rid of the milk.

^^^^^^ great advice get rid of dairy products try switching your protein to a whole food protein way better for ya and your body will absorb way more than it would using whey.

Thread Information