PowerliftWill is offline Junior Member

Protein shakes essential?

dumb question really guys but I've never gone without a few scoops of whey post workout and wanted to know if it's going to have s significant impact especially on cycle if I just have a whole protein source instead? Moneys tight right now and I much rather buy 60 bucks worth of chicken, tuna, etc then to spend it on protein powder. PWO is the only time I ever have shakes...besides casein if I wake up at night, so 95% of my protein is from whole foods.

PK-V is offline Productive Member
    Supplement are to supplement the diet to help you get up to scratch with what you should be able to achieve through diet

so, no there is no real need for it if you can get it from food

but it is hella convenient

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    The whole purpose of whey post workout is how fast it digests and is absorbed. If you were to go with an animal protien post workout i wouldn't recomend beef because its slow to digest. Chicken breast or even better would be white fish for faster digesting protien pwo. I don't think the impact will be significant if you can eat within 10 minutes of ending your workout, but i do think there will be an impact even if it is a slight one

Quote Originally Posted by scotty51312 View Post
    The whole purpose of whey post workout is how fast it digests and is absorbed. If you were to go with an animal protien post workout i wouldn't recomend beef because its slow to digest. Chicken breast or even better would be white fish for faster digesting protien pwo. I don't think the impact will be significant if you can eat within 10 minutes of ending your workout, but i do think there will be an impact even if it is a slight one
    Even on cycle? I just can't see how tuna over 2 scoops of whey would have any sort of difference especially when on cycle. Not much I can do, i'll just have to give it a shot and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    like Scotty said, whey is preferred PWO due to its super fast digestion rate. However, IMO it is NOT a necessity. The old school guys didn't have it, and look where they got.

White fish is a good option as mentioned above. I think your absolute best option however is egg whites. Superior protein source and probably fastest digestion rate behind whey. You'd need an awful lot though to make up the equivalent of 2 scoops of powder (approx 50g).

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yep, egg whites are the most quickly digested natural animal protein source and you would have to eat about 17 egg whites from large eggs in order to get 50 gr of protein.

Watch out for the killer egg farts

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    Not sure if there is definitive proof of protein ingestion window for maximum gains, on cycle you need to have protein available all the time, some argue that it doesn't matter if you eat one huge meal a day(really not even possible, just sayin) or 8 smaller ones. Eat what you can handle when you can handle it, but for money sake do the egg/fish post workout, I'm just thinking it would be tough to wolf down 17 egg whites post workout, so if you throw in the fish, just that much less eggs to swallow.

Thanks for the information guys. Much appreciated. Ya i'll have to try some fish in place of the whey. I wish I could afford it but when money is tight and I have to buy all my other food, 50+ bucks of whey just seems outrageous to me.

I start my new job here in a month which pays a lot more than my current one so i'll easily be able to afford it then.

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    ^^ bodyfortress whey at wallmart $16 for 2lbs

That stuff is shit quality. Rather have tuna or fish PWO then that garbage. Never have I had so many stomach problems with that stuff. Now Optimum, perfect.

That stuff is shit quality. Rather have tuna or fish PWO then that garbage. Never have I had so many stomach problems with that stuff. Now Optimum, perfect. Ask Swifto as well. he hates the shit

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    You need to shop around a bit. If you compared gram for gram protein content , Whey is by FAR more economical than food. You can find whey for under 30 cents a serving. Thats 60 cents for 50 grams of protein. You cant find a whole food protein source at that cost. Hell a couple months ago i found sportpharma justwhey 5lbs for $21 (25 cents a serving) online. Also before you dismiss products as "garbage" realize there are essentially only 2 sources for processed whey protein in the world. Almost all whey protein powders are made using whey from the same 2 sources. Just check out nutrtional info for potential fillers etc. Often the more expensive products you are paying for taste and also many times the tastiest ones often have added fat (XF or muscle milk for example) Dont get me wrong , im all for whole foods , im just pointing out the flaw in your rationale here.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    You need to shop around a bit. If you compared gram for gram protein content , Whey is by FAR more economical than food. You can find whey for under 30 cents a serving. Thats 60 cents for 50 grams of protein. You cant find a whole food protein source at that cost. Hell a couple months ago i found sportpharma justwhey 5lbs for $21 (25 cents a serving) online. Also before you dismiss products as "garbage" realize there are essentially only 2 sources for processed whey protein in the world. Almost all whey protein powders are made using whey from the same 2 sources. Just check out nutrtional info for potential fillers etc. Often the more expensive products you are paying for taste and also many times the tastiest ones often have added fat (XF or muscle milk for example) Dont get me wrong , im all for whole foods , im just pointing out the flaw in your rationale here.
    You're obviously missing my point, though I see your logic and agree. My point was since I'm on a budget Id rather spend that 30-? bucks on food instead of protein powder that consists of PWO meal and that's it. I'd have to buy less whole foods if I went out and bought some protein powder based on the money I can spend, making it stupid for me to do so since total protein intake is more important than just 1 meal. Do you see what I mean? I KNOW whey is more economical than food, but you have to decide between the two, i'm taking whole food that I eat the other 8 meals of the day.

Now, like I said my new job starts here soon in which i'll easily be able to afford it again and I sold a few extra test vials I had laying around so I can take care of the issue in the mean time. Thanks for the info guys.

PW

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    eggs are inexpensive sources of what you are wanting. I buy chicken breasts by the bag, bought three of them tonight because they were on sale for $1.40 off each bag, basically 10 chicken breasts for $6.50. Veggies are currently crazy in the price department (the economy is fixin' to do some really jacked up things again folks). I bought the store out of pollack filets because they are $1.99/lb, tilapia used to be this cheap, but after buying the store out of tilapia every week the price jumped on me, so now it's another white fish.

Quote Originally Posted by tbody66 View Post
    eggs are inexpensive sources of what you are wanting. I buy chicken breasts by the bag, bought three of them tonight because they were on sale for $1.40 off each bag, basically 10 chicken breasts for $6.50. Veggies are currently crazy in the price department (the economy is fixin' to do some really jacked up things again folks). I bought the store out of pollack filets because they are $1.99/lb, tilapia used to be this cheap, but after buying the store out of tilapia every week the price jumped on me, so now it's another white fish.
    By the bag? Frozen? I buy mine fresh for 2.50/lb at costco. foster farms chicken

GZA
    GZA is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerliftWill View Post
    By the bag? Frozen? I buy mine fresh for 2.50/lb at costco. foster farms chicken
    I know you posted this some months back but in case you're still trying to save, the fresh ones cost more at costco... tyson has bags of it in the freezer at costco that runs 19.99 for 10 lbs so that'd be 2 bucks a pound. I used to buy the fresh ones, and heck before then I'd even buy the pre-grilled bags at costco for like 11 bucks for 2 lbs.... slowly I've been learning to save

Thread Information